inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is the 80s more popular then the 60s, right now?

Written By: 80sfan on 07/26/14 at 1:11 am

It's crazy but sometimes I think the 60s and 80s are equally popular. I remember back in the 90s everyone talking about the 'revolutionary' 'rebellious' and 'volatile' 60s! Now I hear people talk more about the 80s then the 60s.

Subject: Re: Is the 80s more popular then the 60s, right now?

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 07/26/14 at 1:27 am

It's crazy but sometimes I think the 60s and 80s are equally popular. I remember back in the 90s everyone talking about the 'revolutionary' 'rebellious' and 'volatile' 60s! Now I hear people talk more about the 80s then the 60s.

Me too. I think some things from the 60s are so timeless and revolutionary (like The Beatles) that people will love them forever, including new generations of youth...and they had the liberal easygoing spirit in common with the 90s. Plus, that's when it would've been "parents time" to the current youth, so they probably bonded over that.

Now the 60s, while still cutting edge with some timeless stuff, is basically the grandparents' time. So its really lost some relevance sadly.

Now the 80s (and actually really most of the 90s too) are "parents' time", so I wonder if that's part of the reason why. Then again, stuff like YouTube kinda makes the past easier to reach so it's not that clear cut anymore. I think (and hope) the 80s will always be retro cool.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/26/14 at 3:18 am

Me too. I think some things from the 60s are so timeless and revolutionary (like The Beatles) that people will love them forever, including new generations of youth...and they had the liberal easygoing spirit in common with the 90s. Plus, that's when it would've been "parents time" to the current youth, so they probably bonded over that.

Now the 60s, while still cutting edge with some timeless stuff, is basically the grandparents' time. So its really lost some relevance sadly.

Now the 80s (and actually really most of the 90s too) are "parents' time", so I wonder if that's part of the reason why. Then again, stuff like YouTube kinda makes the past easier to reach so it's not that clear cut anymore. I think (and hope) the 80s will always be retro cool.

Well, the 1860s is the most remembered decade of the 1800s. I think in the future, the 60s and 80s will be equally popular, even a century from now!  :o :o

Written By: Howard on 07/26/14 at 6:27 am

I think the 80's were a special time, maybe that's why people who were born before 1980 have an easier time remembering the 80's.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/26/14 at 11:25 am

I think the 80's were a special time, maybe that's why people who were born before 1980 have an easier time remembering the 80's.

I think people love the 80s for one simple reason, Howard. It was a fun time!

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/26/14 at 11:48 am

...it was fun in the 60s too!

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 07/26/14 at 12:21 pm

I think in the future, the 60s and 80s will be equally popular, even a century from now!  :o :o

Yeah I think even now, they're kinda blended together (like they're both considered "classic rock") and people don't really emphasize the differences as much. And yeah, the 80s will always be fun for retro themed parties because the music was very happy and upbeat, and fashion was colorful and bright.

Written By: Howard on 07/26/14 at 6:02 pm

I was born before 1980 and I thought the 80's were fun.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/26/14 at 10:04 pm

...it was fun in the 60s too!

The second half of the 20th century was basically fun.

Written By: wsmith4 on 08/12/14 at 12:02 pm

The 80's are like the 60's in many ways due to their popularity of such typecast shows such as Family Ties, Family Rocks, and Mother Knows Best and sometimes I think that the 70's were like the 80's in that they were like the 60's because no one in the 60's even knew what the 80's was or what they would become or how many people would compare the 80's to the 60's for that matter and why should they even have to compare one decade to another or even worse if one decade was better than another but I really think the 60's, 70's, and 80's were more like a death trap for the 90's because nobody misses the 90's and everybody hates the 80's and nobody loves the 60's except Elvis fans and well frankly they don't count.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/12/14 at 12:24 pm

Well, the 1860s is the most remembered decade of the 1800s. I think in the future, the 60s and 80s will be equally popular, even a century from now!  :o :o

A century from now, a lot of fads and musical trends from specific eras of the 20th century will certainly no longer be talked about and reminisced about.  After all, those who grew up in those times will be dead or very near death.  What will be remembered about the 20th century is political events such as WWII, Vietnam, the Cold War, and the technological revolution.

Think about it.  You don't see much 19th century nostalgia anymore because nobody alive today has any connection to its culture. 

Written By: Howard on 08/12/14 at 2:13 pm

I think they're pretty much equal.

Written By: SiderealDreams on 08/14/14 at 11:12 pm

Steampunk is basically present day, 19th century nostalgia.

Written By: Howard on 08/15/14 at 6:51 am

Think about it.  You don't see much 19th century nostalgia anymore because nobody alive today has any connection to its culture. 

How do you know that?

Written By: yelimsexa on 08/18/14 at 3:17 pm

The reason why much of the 19th/beginning of the 20th century has been forgotten for many decades now (even in the 80s themselves they were seen as "old timey") is that much of the lifestyle from that era had become obsolete. Minstrel shows, vaudeville, old etiquette, and simply the fact that people didn't have as much leisure time back then. The notable exception is literature as there will still be a cult following for legendary authors such as Charles Dickens, Nathaniel Hawthorne, and Mark Twain. That said, its much easier to remember the 80s for the average person. Basically anyone 30 or over will have some memory of the "eighties world", even if a preschooler in 1988-89. The 60s does have its legendary appeal and some timeless classics, but while it has its charms, there was still a lot of "highbrow" society underneath the mini-skirts and camouflauge patterns in the form of Western movies, easy listening music, formulatic old sitcoms/dramas/variety shows, and simply being the fact that to experience the '60s first hand means that you must be a Baby Boomer (the true '60s fanatics) or older (the Silents/Seniors who were indifferent or detested the '60s who will be dying off). That said, as these firsthanders die off, the books they leave behind along with any surviving media materials will of course be the best we can interpret and experience the '60s atmosphere much like we can today with basically any era pre-WWII. That said, there are still lots of things from the '60s (let alone '80s) such as Super 8 home movies, "lost" postcards/letters/photos that may be lying in a storage unit somewhere, very obscure music, and other medium such as newspapers and ephemera. I myself am considered "secondhand", catching only the tail end as a little child (think casette talking toys), catching it in reruns and having some awareness of how 1993 was a bit different from 1989 (though very fuzzy), though appreciating what happened through secondary sources such as older magazine issues, TV reruns, and movies from that time and enjoying it how it differs from today.

Written By: winteriscoming on 10/03/14 at 12:54 am

I think so. The hippie thing is still really popular but I don't see it so much as being thought of as 60s nostalgia these days but rather something that's perpetually popular and never completely went away. Being that the 60s is 45 to 55 years ago it's before the time of even a lot of middle aged people - more in "grandparent" territory now.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 10/03/14 at 3:28 am

Yes, to have really good memories of the 60s, you must at least be in your late 50s, and teenagers of this decade are all in their 60s. The younger generation just didn't experience the 60s, so they rather tend to look back at the 80s.

Written By: Howard on 10/03/14 at 6:56 am

I think the 80's are more popular right now cause people over 45-50 are the people who will remember stuff that happened in the 80's more than the people who remembered the 60's.

Written By: winteriscoming on 10/06/14 at 4:24 am

Yes, to have really good memories of the 60s, you must at least be in your late 50s, and teenagers of this decade are all in their 60s. The younger generation just didn't experience the 60s, so they rather tend to look back at the 80s.

That's kind of sad honestly. :( You know what blows my mind? Teenagers of the 1950s are in their 70s and 80s now!  :o

Written By: Howard on 10/06/14 at 1:16 pm

That's kind of sad honestly. :( You know what blows my mind? Teenagers of the 1950s are in their 70s and 80s now!  :o

Yeah, isn't that weird?  :o

Written By: winteriscoming on 10/18/14 at 7:03 pm

Yeah, isn't that weird?  :o

Yeah it's definitely bizarre. My grandmother was actually a '50s teen, she's about the same age as Elvis.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/20/14 at 5:03 am

Yeah it's definitely bizarre. My grandmother was actually a '50s teen, she's about the same age as Elvis.
...but Elvis only reached 42 years

Written By: XYkid on 10/21/14 at 1:43 am

It's crazy to think that the 60s are considered grandparents time. That was when my parents were children, but it makes sense since most people their age are becoming grandparents. Hell, even most of the 70s are beginning to fade into obscurity.
The fact that the early-to-mid 90s also now starting to be considered 'parents time' also baffles me, even though I was born in 1994, the 90s don't seem that long ago to me. The late 90s are kind of in that halfway period between kids and parents time, since most people who are currently in their 20s were kids at that time and grew up with millennium culture.

Check for new replies or respond here...