inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is there a song for each year of the 1980s that mentions the year in the lyrics?

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/31/14 at 9:36 pm

Example

1981 - The Waitresses, "Christmas Wrapping"
Had his number but never the time
Most of '81 passed along those lines.

1982 - Asia, "Heat of the Moment"
And now you find yourself in 82
The disco hotspots hold no charm for you

1983 - Simple Minds, "New Gold Dream (81-82-83-84)"
81 - 82 - 83 - 84

1984 - M+M, "Black Stations, White Stations" 
Black stations, White stations feet on the floor,
dance on the ceiling with us, this is 1984, Ha!

1984 - Dead Kennedys, "California Uber Alles"
Now it is 1984
Knock-knock at your front door

1985 - Falco, "Rock Me Amadeus "
1985, Austrian rock singer Falco records
Rock Me Amadeus!

1986 - Billy Joel, "Modern Woman"
And nowadays it's politics
And after 1986 what else could be new

1987 - I got nothing here...

1988 - nothing as well

1989 - Leila K & Rob 'n' Raz, "Got To Get"
Fresh for 89` rocking bells
Leila K coming right and exact

Honorable mentions:
80s not a particular year -
Killing Joke, "Eighties"
Tone-Loc, "Funky Cold Medina"

not an 80s song -
R.E.M.  "Ignoreland"
Bloodhound Gang - Why's Everybody Always Pickin' on Me
Audioslave - Original Fire

no lyrics -
Van Halen, "1984"

Subject: Re: Is there a song for each year of the 1980s that mentions the year in the lyrics?

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/01/14 at 1:07 am

1987 - I got nothing here...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c4/SubstanceCoverBig.jpg/220px-SubstanceCoverBig.jpg

Filing under honorable mentions - the original was 1985, the remix came out in 1987, and the lyrics don't reference the year, but the double-album is named after the year: New Order, Substance 1987

1989/90 - Vanilla Ice, Play That Funky Music "89 is my time! Yo, '90 is my year."

The requirement that the year of release be mentioned in the lyrics makes this a lot harder than you might think.  Fun!  Rap/hip-hop tended to move more quickly from writing to recording to release, and I think there were some tracks that referred to '88, but '87 doesn't rhyme with much.  A set of as many consecutive tracks of this nature might make for a good mastercut/megamix thing. 

Subject: Re: Is there a song for each year of the 1980s that mentions the year in the lyrics?

Written By: Paul on 09/01/14 at 4:38 am

You could also have 'Sexcrime (1984)' by The Eurythmics...

(Doesn't really count, as it's a 70s song, but a certain Macca chap did have a song called 'Nineteen Hundred And Eighty Five' on his 'Band On The Run' LP...)

Written By: Henk on 09/01/14 at 4:00 pm

For 1987 I present you:

Running Wild - "Land Of Ice"

In 1987 they build a new machine
To conquer our future, to face things never seen

(Granted, Running Wild are a rather obscure German hard rock/metal band, but still - the song* was released in 1987!)

* from the album Under Jolly Roger

Written By: 80sfan on 09/01/14 at 8:13 pm

The 80s must have been one of the most meta, or self-aware decades in history.  :)

Written By: Paul on 09/02/14 at 4:09 am

The 80s must have been one of the most meta, or self-aware decades in history.  :)

For obvious reasons, 1984 being the most written-about one...

Another one from then (albeit first recorded a decade previously by David Bowie) - '1984' - Tina Turner...

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/02/14 at 5:56 am

Does it have to be released in the respective year?

Otherwise:

Randy Travis - 1982: released in 1985.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0HC3tihRiE

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/02/14 at 10:49 pm

You could also have 'Sexcrime (1984)' by The Eurythmics...

That one counts!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCTByIJs8vY

...Nash the Slash's 1984 was released in 1984, so it counts. (Unfortunately, it looks like Oingo Boingo's Wake Up (It's 1984) was actually released in 1983.)

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/03/14 at 12:24 am

I4SOnBDe7qs

They use Mark Holmes's white jacket as a view screen and flash 1984 on his chest

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/10/14 at 9:51 am

Does it have to be released in the respective year?

Otherwise:

Randy Travis - 1982: released in 1985

I think it makes it a bit more special when it does mention the year it's in (or about to be)... it's interesting to me that it's one of those things that will date a song when it's been around a while.  It helps to highlight the disposable nature of pop music that people are not worried about what it'll sound like to future listeners.

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/12/14 at 9:47 pm

I think it makes it a bit more special when it does mention the year it's in (or about to be)... it's interesting to me that it's one of those things that will date a song when it's been around a while.  It helps to highlight the disposable nature of pop music that people are not worried about what it'll sound like to future listeners.

I still can't find it on YouTube, but I'll bring up Trans-X's Through The Eyes Of The 90s from 1986.

Written By: Davester on 12/22/14 at 1:01 pm

"Louder Than A Bomb" - Public Enemy...

Goin' on an' on - leave alone the grown
Get it straight in '88, an' I'll troop it to demonstrate...

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/22/14 at 3:08 pm

Bowling for Soup's "1985"

Bruce Springsteen, Madonna
Way before Nirvana
There was U2 and Blondie
And music still on MTV
Her two kids in high school
They tell her that she's uncool
Cuz she's still preoccupied
With 19, 19, 1985

Written By: seamermar on 12/26/14 at 4:32 am

Caramba chicos..this is the vademecum of the music.

Is there some stuff you dont fumble ?

I'm gonna squeeze the treads and the sight at the same time.

Check for new replies or respond here...