inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did disco finally go away?

Written By: Visor765 on 09/05/14 at 12:03 pm

1980 still had plenty of disco songs, as shown right here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s-K7JE8lKY

Note that the first song shown (the stroke) wasn't released until May 1981. It wasn't 1980.

So, for those who remember, when did disco finally disappear? When was it officially a thing of the past? Please don't use stereotypes when answering these questions.

Subject: Re: When did disco finally go away?

Written By: 80sfan on 09/05/14 at 12:44 pm

I didn't live during the time, but my guess is 1980 was the last year it was considered 'hot'.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/05/14 at 12:46 pm

Disco was still going well in 1983 with the film "Flashdance".

Written By: Howard on 09/05/14 at 2:27 pm

I don't think disco "died", It just evolved into dance well into the 80's with sounds of synthesizers and synclaviers mixed with a bit of funky sounds. That's how I would describe it.

Written By: Howard on 09/05/14 at 2:28 pm

Disco was still going well in 1983 with the film "Flashdance".

and you also had sounds of Herbie Hancock during that year.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 09/05/14 at 11:31 pm

From what I've seen and observed, people seemed to start hating on it towards the end of 1979, though going by the charts, it seemed to have somewhat of a "half presence" from late 79-mid 81 or so. A songs like "Celebration" by Kool & The Gang" (late 80, charting in early 81) is really transitional between disco and synthpop to me.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 09/06/14 at 1:59 am

1981 seemed like the last year. Ironically they released the sequel to Saturday Night Fever in 1983. Needless to say it flopped because it was released far too late.

Written By: Howard on 09/06/14 at 6:58 am

It also evolved into electronica as heard in this 1981 jam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_lttNgaXr4

By this time music had turned into Moog synthesizers, clapping sounds and robot voices.

Written By: the OlLine Rebel on 09/12/14 at 1:58 pm

Basically it was dead by 1981.

But "It's Raining Men" I always thought was a disco song, and was shocked to find out it was released in '82!  I think it may have peaked in '83.  Apparently it wasn't actually a real hit, but I was aware of it to think it had been from the '70s.

Many have accused such as Madonna as actually continuing the trend.  I'm sure I could think of more.  Then the queen Donna Summer came back by '87 or so with the disco sound, along with Rick Astley.  I loved it.

Written By: Howard on 09/12/14 at 2:33 pm

I think it was dead after Disco Demolition Day.

Written By: Jquar on 09/12/14 at 3:32 pm

This late 1981 song is a perfect transition from '70s disco to '80s funk, sounds a bit like both.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrle0x_DHBM

Written By: Bobby on 09/12/14 at 4:45 pm

I don't think disco "died", It just evolved into dance well into the 80's with sounds of synthesizers and synclaviers mixed with a bit of funky sounds. That's how I would describe it.

I agree. Admittedly, what I call 'purist's disco' died after 1981 but disco is just as prevalent now as it was back then. It's just moved forward.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 09/12/14 at 4:58 pm

Basically it was dead by 1981.

But "It's Raining Men" I always thought was a disco song, and was shocked to find out it was released in '82!  I think it may have peaked in '83.  Apparently it wasn't actually a real hit, but I was aware of it to think it had been from the '70s.

Many have accused such as Madonna as actually continuing the trend.  I'm sure I could think of more.  Then the queen Donna Summer came back by '87 or so with the disco sound, along with Rick Astley.  I loved it.

The song was actually written in 1979. No wonder it had a late 70s vibe!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It%27s_Raining_Men

Written By: Howard on 09/13/14 at 6:52 am

This late 1981 song is a perfect transition from '70s disco to '80s funk, sounds a bit like both.

Would've Let's Groove" if it came out 5 years earlier sounded the same as it did in 1981?

Written By: the OlLine Rebel on 09/14/14 at 11:47 am

Nah I think "Funkytown" was the perfect transition.  It even was released at just the right time, 1980!  Lots of electronics in there as well as more stilted guitar riffs punctuating the groove, more like the '80s.  But on a disco smooth baseline.

Written By: Howard on 09/14/14 at 1:44 pm

Nah I think "Funkytown" was the perfect transition.  It even was released at just the right time, 1980!  Lots of electronics in there as well as more stilted guitar riffs punctuating the groove, more like the '80s.  But on a disco smooth baseline.

Funkytown was transitioning to funk more than disco cause disco was just about dead.

Written By: Howard on 09/14/14 at 1:49 pm

KC & The Sunshine Band Please Don't Go
Nolans I'm In The Mood For Dancing
Sugarhill Gang Rapper's Delight
Sheila & B Devotion Spacer
Positive Force We Got The Funk
Chic My Feet Keep Dancing
Gibson Brothers Que Sera Mi Vida
Michael Jackson Off The Wall

Here are some hits from January of 1980.

Check for new replies or respond here...