inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did new wave finally go away?

Written By: SiderealDreams on 09/13/14 at 9:16 am

Thinking about the disco thread, I have created a similar one with respect to new wave. I want to know both when you think new wave disappeared and when you think new wave influence ceased to be popular. I suppose that this topic may be a little bit more complicated than its disco counterpart, since it seems to me that new wave is somewhat vaguely defined. In any case, I will leave the answers to you for now and I will make further posts a little later. Thanks!

Subject: Re: When did new wave finally go away?

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/13/14 at 11:13 am

I don't think New Wave ever really went away.  I think it just got lost in the wave of new music that became popular between 1986 and 1989.

Written By: SiderealDreams on 09/13/14 at 1:00 pm

Well, I didn't mean literally go away so much as fall out of the mainstream or go underground. Do you have any take on that c_keenan?

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/13/14 at 1:44 pm

Well, I didn't mean literally go away so much as fall out of the mainstream or go underground. Do you have any take on that c_keenan?

I think that a lot of the new wave acts were underground until about the mid-late 80s.  I mean I don't really think that the mainstream new wave acts were really above ground until the music label suits saw a market for them. 

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/13/14 at 5:27 pm

I would say late 1986-early 1987. 1986 sounds like a mixture of first half 80s and late 80s music.

Written By: nally on 09/13/14 at 5:45 pm

New wave was still around into the 90s, but it probably got overshadowed by grunge.

Written By: Howard on 09/13/14 at 5:46 pm

I would say late 1986-early 1987. 1986 sounds like a mixture of first half 80s and late 80s music.

I would say after 1986 too, Didn't they have groups like A-ha,Cutting Crew and A Flock of Seagulls? ???

Written By: meesa on 09/13/14 at 9:00 pm

If you look at the big picture of music, nothing has ever really gone away; it changes form over time, or the general population's tastes change over time-spurring the music industry to tweak or alter what we were currently wanting. Adding on and enhancing or stripping it down and making it leaner; either way it is really just alteration, not something being done away with, never to be seen again.

The only things that truly change are the labels we tag them with. And the beat goes on.

Written By: Jquar on 09/14/14 at 1:48 am

Yep, that's how it was in the U.S. at least. 1987 feels like a fairly different world from 1985 on the pop charts with 1986 being a mixed bag. There still was a lot of synthpop on the charts at that point but it had lost the rock/punk influence that New Wave had and moved more into freestyle/dance territory and popular rock music was starting to gravitate away from that style.

Written By: yelimsexa on 09/15/14 at 7:15 am

According to that fancy genre chart, New Wave disappears around 1991. That said, unlike disco, its decline was gradual. 1983 was its peak after gradually rising for several years since 1979 when disco started its quick decline (capping off by the MTV boost), and was the most dominant of all genres. New Wave was still the biggest genre in 1984 (and arguably 1985 if you include synthpop as a subgenre of new wave, though the sound was clearly more electronic by then), but 1986 and beyond, gradually phased out, first to hair metal, then dance pop and new jack swing, and finally grunge and hip hop. Murphy's Law definitely applied to its phaseout, similar to post-grunge and arguablly R&B's fadeout.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 09/16/14 at 12:13 pm

Thinking about the disco thread, I have created a similar one with respect to new wave. I want to know both when you think new wave disappeared and when you think new wave influence ceased to be popular. I suppose that this topic may be a little bit more complicated than its disco counterpart, since it seems to me that new wave is somewhat vaguely defined. In any case, I will leave the answers to you for now and I will make further posts a little later. Thanks!

It was probably "coolest" and most cutting edge from about 1978-1985 (like the early MTV era) though it still charted up to 1992 or 93. Especially bands like The Cure and Depeche Mode had some of their biggest hits in the early 90s. I think it just blended with more alternative rock elements after about 1986 and even today still has some influence with modern indie bands.

Written By: Visor765 on 09/20/14 at 10:44 am

Late 1980s.

Written By: Howard on 09/20/14 at 5:41 pm

Late 1980s.

I think you're right.

Written By: Bobby on 09/21/14 at 3:27 pm

I found this excerpt from Wikipedia interesting:

"United States and United Kingdom differences

New wave is much more closely tied to punk and came and went more quickly in the United Kingdom than in the United States. At the time punk began, it was a major phenomenon in the United Kingdom and a minor one in the United States. Thus when new wave acts started getting noticed in America, punk meant little to the mainstream audience and it was common for rock clubs and discos to play British dance mixes and videos between live sets by American guitar acts.

Post-punk music developments in the UK became mainstream and were considered unique cultural events. By the early 1980s, British journalists largely had abandoned using the term "new wave" in favor of subgenre terms such as "synthpop". By 1983, the term of choice for the US music industry had become "new music", while to the majority of US fans it was still a "new wave" reacting to album-based rock."

I believe New Wave the way I know it was on it's deathbed in 1985 and was dead by 1986. New Wave had a darker industrial tone in the late 1970s/very early 1980s but by 1983/4 the stark/obtruse topics were just as relevant (Nuclear war anyone?) but the synth music tended to be lighter than it's darker origins with the inclusion of Howard Jones and Nik Kershaw. 

Bands like Depeche Mode (turned into more mainstream New Order), Bronski Beat (lead singer moved on to Communards), Toyah, Soft Cell (Marc Almond went solo), Blondie, Devo, Yazoo (Alison Moyet and Vince Clark split with each other by then but Moyet went solo and Clark formed Erasure with Andy Bell), Fiction Factory, Japan, Visage, Ultravox (Midge Ure went solo), Adam and the Ants (Adam Ant went solo) and Thomas Dolby either split up or had moved on to other things while Eurythmics, OMD, The Stranglers and Talking Heads were changing to a more mainstream sound.

Heaven 17 had reasonable new wave success in the early 1980s but their last hit was 'Sunset Now' in 1984 and technically their last 'commercial success' was getting involved in Band Aid in late 1984.

The originators Kraftwerk changed direction in the mid 1980s, Duran Duran turned into the group Arcadia for a while in 1985 (releasing the song 'Election day') while Spandau Ballet's last hit in the UK was 'Through the barricades' in 1986 and that was not a new wave song.

Thompson Twins, China Crisis (still touring apparently) and Nik Kershaw's last hits were in 1985 and Howard Jones's last success was in 1986 (still touring as late as 2012) but the single 'No one is to blame' is a ballad of sorts not new wave.

For me, 'West end girls' by Pet Shop Boys in 1985 is the cross-over from New Wave to synthpop. It had the new wave undertones and urban sensibilities yet it set the scene for Pet Shop Boy's more dance synthpop career at the same time.

Written By: SiderealDreams on 09/24/14 at 2:09 am

Would the live version of "Mony Mony" by Billy Idol from late 1987 (of a song he had recorded in the studio 6 years earlier) be one of the last big unambiguously new wave hits?

Written By: Jquar on 09/24/14 at 2:39 am

Would the live version of "Mony Mony" by Billy Idol from late 1987 (of a song he had recorded in the studio 6 years earlier) be one of the last big unambiguously new wave hits?

Not sure I would consider that one New Wave, as its a cover of a 60s song and is pretty much pure pop IMO.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 09/24/14 at 4:38 pm

I'd say The Cure's "Friday I'm In Love" from 1992 was.

Actually I'm wondering now if 1985 was actually the last super new wavey year? Even by 86 it seemed to be diverging into either adult contemporary (Take My Breath Away, Holding Back the Years, Human) or very slowly towards edgier alternative rock (INXS, REM) or just general synthpop.

Written By: Bobby on 09/24/14 at 5:38 pm

Actually I'm wondering now if 1985 was actually the last super new wavey year? Even by 86 it seemed to be diverging into either adult contemporary (Take My Breath Away, Holding Back the Years, Human) or very slowly towards edgier alternative rock (INXS, REM) or just general synthpop.

Definitely 1985 but even by then it was watered down to suit the sensibilities of mainstream pop. For New Wave in it's purist form I'd actually go one step further and say that 'purist' new wave ended around 1983. This band oozes New Wave...

VoZNbVGYl8o

Written By: winteriscoming on 09/29/14 at 12:27 am

The original new wave? I'd say not until the early 90s actually. The Cure, Depeche Mode, REM and Tears for Fears (who were a solo project at that point) were still successful up until 1992 or 1993 and a lot of the alternative music from that time still had that vibe to it. It definitely wasn't all grunge in the early 90s even after Nirvana. New Wave saw its creative peak between 1979 and 1985 or so but it did last a lot longer than that.

From 1994 to 2003 or so it went dormant until The Killers, The Postal Service and No Doubt made using synths in rock music popular again and since then new wave has had a consistent place in indie rock music. What else is Chromeo, Capital Cities, Lights, The Knife and so on but new wave?

Written By: AcoBrasil on 11/13/14 at 12:55 pm

New wave was still around into the 90s, but it probably got overshadowed by grunge.

Agree.  I was a senior in high school in 1991. Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" felt like a genre bender the first time I heard it. I remember people discussing it in awe.

Written By: winteriscoming on 11/13/14 at 10:33 pm

Agree.  I was a senior in high school in 1991. Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" felt like a genre bender the first time I heard it. I remember people discussing it in awe.

Actually I'd argue if anything grunge was a boon to new wave since both are "alternative" music and the genre had faded somewhat in the late 80s. I don't think Duran Duran were popular anymore after 1986 or so but they made a pretty big comeback in 1993, even if it was short lived.

Written By: tv on 01/24/15 at 5:22 pm

You could adds songs like "Hands To Heaven " by "Breathe" and "Shattered Dreams" by "Johnny Hates Jazz" in there too.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/24/15 at 10:35 pm

With Enya always around, new wave will never disappear!

Written By: nally on 01/25/15 at 12:52 pm

A year later, New Order had a big hit on the Modern Rock charts with "Regret", and Tears For Fears with "Break It Down Again."

Written By: Howard on 01/25/15 at 2:30 pm

You could adds songs like "Hands To Heaven " by "Breathe" and "Shattered Dreams" by "Johnny Hates Jazz" in there too.

Those were considered new wave.

Written By: nally on 01/25/15 at 4:40 pm

And are both good songs, btw.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 01/26/15 at 10:00 pm

No, I could make a case for Johnny Hates Jazz, but not Breathe's "Hands To Heaven". That would be adult contemporary or smooth jazz.

Written By: ralfy on 01/27/15 at 9:13 am

For me, one of the last works of the genre was The Farm's "All Together Now".

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/27/15 at 7:54 pm

I have always like that song for the music is Johann Pachelbel's "Canon".

Written By: winteriscoming on 02/15/15 at 9:49 pm

Indeed, very much retro sounding! Aside from the drum mix could easily be from the early or mid 1980s.

Check for new replies or respond here...