inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What TV programs/movies would you record for VHS/Beta back in the '80s/'90s?

Written By: yelimsexa on 09/16/14 at 7:59 am

In the late 1970s, the home video industry was born, and in addition to prerecorded material, it allowed people to record various programs off of the TV, much to the same excitement that recording music off the radio did for cassettes. Camcorders were still a few years away, but the fact that any program on TV could be saved and rewatched was a novel idea, and this allowed the sales of home video players to take off.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=888&dat=19771119&id=u2dQAAAAIBAJ&sjid=FloDAAAAIBAJ&pg=2963,2817693

They were expensive, and according to this ad a single Sony Betamax tape cost $16.95 in 1977 (over $50 in today's value), so unless if you were really rich, you either recorded them over or only saved a select few tapes. The prices would gradually dwindle so that by the late '80s, it wasn't uncommon to find a tape for around $2.50, and were cheap and abundant through the '90s and even today through the resale market for those who can't record DVDs. That said, what programs would you or your family/friends record on VHS tapes back in the day? What I've been finding through various collections is that movies seem to be the most common things that were recorded, followed by soap operas, primetime shows, and some sports games. My favorite finds so far are probably a couple NHL games from the late '80s fully intact with commercials/intermission reports.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2519&dat=19881128&id=OqNdAAAAIBAJ&sjid=A10NAAAAIBAJ&pg=4974,6256760

Subject: Re: What TV programs/movies would you record for VHS/Beta back in the '80s/'90s?

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 09/16/14 at 10:08 am

The Simpsons
Married With Children
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Saturday Morning episodes)
MTV 120 Minutes
Club MTV

Subject: Re: What TV programs/movies would you record for VHS/Beta back in the '80s/'90s?

Written By: fusefan on 09/16/14 at 12:18 pm

As for movies It seems like everybody recorded "Dirty Dancing" or "Rain Man" in the late 80s/early 90s. At least that's what I notice when I inherit someone's over the air recordings at garage sales, flea markets ect...

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/16/14 at 9:16 pm

In the late 1970s, the home video industry was born, and in addition to prerecorded material, it allowed people to record various programs off of the TV, much to the same excitement that recording music off the radio did for cassettes.

Back when MTV played music videos, I used to sit there with a VCR and grab videos in a video equivalent of "taping songs off the radio".  Now that all the videos are available on YouTube at much higher quality than what I was able to grab on VHS, I regret not grabbing a few of the better commercials.  We still have someone hunting for the blooper where the cow steps on a bird.

Written By: Howard on 09/17/14 at 2:32 pm

Back when MTV played music videos, I used to sit there with a VCR and grab videos in a video equivalent of "taping songs off the radio".  Now that all the videos are available on YouTube at much higher quality than what I was able to grab on VHS, I regret not grabbing a few of the better commercials.  We still have someone hunting for the blooper where the cow steps on a bird.

That's what great about YouTube now, just about every music video is available for you.

Check for new replies or respond here...