inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2:30am Antics at a 7-11 in 1987

Written By: pell on 09/22/14 at 3:27 pm

For the two or three people in the world who, like me, didn't see this when it went viral last year, here's a fun impromptu video made by some college kids at a 7-11 near Disney World in the wee hours of a 1987 summer morning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYbe-35_BaA

They even did a follow-up video at the same 7-11 this summer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8n11y2lxrE

There's some back story and "where are they now" information here:
http://mrsitcom.blogspot.com/2014/04/the-story-of-7-11-video-shot-at-230am.html

Subject: Re: 2:30am Antics at a 7-11 in 1987

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/22/14 at 3:34 pm

If somebody told me that the first video had been taken around 2000 or later, I would believe it. Except for some hairstyles, it looks pretty modern already.

Written By: pell on 09/22/14 at 5:55 pm

The clothes are pretty late mid-to-late 80s too, and that van at the end. But you're right. I expected things to seem a little more different from today.

Written By: SiderealDreams on 09/23/14 at 11:43 am

I think the hairstyles are definitely what date it the most. Some of those clothes could pass for clothes from later. I think the French girl looked the least dated in her style.

I think the attitudes give away the period a little bit. The people seem much more curious, interested, trusting, and perhaps naive with regard to the video camera than I think they would today. People even ask them if they are filming for TV. There is a certain neighborly mood to their interactions that I think could be pretty jarring in today's society where everyone is digitally plugged-in all the time.

Written By: yelimsexa on 09/24/14 at 8:14 am

Remember when cash registers looked like calculators (modern at the time compared to the analog readouts that were nearly dead by then) before they became computers? Note that where the travel brouchures were in the 1987 video have been replaced by a lottery machine. You can also make out the August 8, 1987 TV Guide and August 1987 Seventeen magazines. The TV Guide isn't too hard to find and could be found for a $1 or less when found in a bulk lot, but the Seventeen magazine (with a $1.50 cover price) is worth around 15 bucks today! I'd wish somebody did something for a shopping mall, department store, main street, or even say a K-Mart since they are great things to compare!

Written By: winteriscoming on 10/06/14 at 4:32 am

I think the hairstyles are definitely what date it the most. Some of those clothes could pass for clothes from later. I think the French girl looked the least dated in her style.

I think the attitudes give away the period a little bit. The people seem much more curious, interested, trusting, and perhaps naive with regard to the video camera than I think they would today. People even ask them if they are filming for TV. There is a certain neighborly mood to their interactions that I think could be pretty jarring in today's society where everyone is digitally plugged-in all the time.

Yeah everyone is so jaded now, lol. It's kind of sad!

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 10/07/14 at 10:06 pm

I was almost 11 in 1987.  It was pretty typical teen/pre-teen fashion back then.  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...