inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why was claymation so popular in the '80s?

Written By: winteriscoming on 10/17/14 at 9:37 am

That sh*t creeps me out.  ;D You had the Adventures of Mark Twain, the first Wallace and Gromit toon, Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer video, the California Raisins and plenty of other stuff I can't think of now.

Subject: Re: Why was claymation so popular in the '80s?

Written By: robby76 on 10/18/14 at 11:06 pm

Claymation has always been around though - Gumby etc. I suppose the 80s just had a mini-revival.

It was popular in the UK too with shows like Morph, Pingu and Trap Door...

0Der9xbuVJs

Written By: amjikloviet on 11/14/14 at 12:02 pm

I loved Peter Gabriels Sledgehammer music video! I remember being 5 or 6 years old and getting all excited every time they'd play the video. ;D

Written By: Howard on 11/14/14 at 12:24 pm

I loved Peter Gabriels Sledgehammer music video! I remember being 5 or 6 years old and getting all excited every time they'd play the video. ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJWJE0x7T4Q

Written By: winteriscoming on 11/15/14 at 7:40 am

That video is awesome but creepy! And not exactly appropriate for kiddos  ;D

Written By: amjikloviet on 11/15/14 at 9:39 am

I didn't find it scary at all, even at that age. I liked how it was all animated. :)

Written By: Howard on 11/15/14 at 5:47 pm

Of course it's appropriate, It's not restricted.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 11/15/14 at 7:49 pm

I always liked Gumby. Nick Jr. used to play the 1988 revival when I was really young. We also had a recording of an episode on VHS that I watched a lot.

Written By: yelimsexa on 11/16/14 at 10:44 am

The Adventures of Mark Twain was the first feature-length animated production when it came out. That said, Claymation is time-consuming as that feature took over three years to complete. Don't forget ABC's "After These Messages" bumpers in the late '80s/early '90s! That said Claymation was especially popular from around 1985 to 1990 or so, before experiencing another comeback in the 2000s, aided by computer techniques. Other '80s Claymation productions include Rip Van Winkle, The Little Prince, Martin the Cobbler, The Star Child, and The American Rabbit. It was just a nice change of pace from the countless cel animation productions at the time and allows for more fluid movement and more life-like backgrounds.

Written By: Howard on 11/16/14 at 1:18 pm

I remember they shown this on television, The show was called Davey And Goliath and they were claymated but I don't know if the show was produced in the 1980's?  ???

Check for new replies or respond here...