inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Was synthpop considered nerdy in the 80s?

Written By: winteriscoming on 12/07/14 at 6:10 pm

I've heard that in the US new wave bands were considered uncool in the 80s compared to glam metal or more mainstream/R&B influenced pop like Prince or Michael Jackson. Maybe a bit less so if you were a girl ... I always got the idea that new wave bands were generally more popular with the female crowd, especially the more "teeny bopper" imaged bands like Duran Duran.

I don't think people in the States truly opened up to any kind of electronic music until the 2010s, except maybe house music for a brief time in the early '90s. I'd imagine people were less narrow minded about new wave in Europe.

Subject: Re: Was synthpop considered nerdy in the 80s?

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 12/07/14 at 11:54 pm

I think it was nerdy by the time I was a teenager.

Bands like Tears for Fears for example were tired of the limitations that synthesizers, keyboards, and drum machines place on you.  I have no idea what exactly that means.

Written By: yearofthemonkey on 12/13/14 at 2:39 am

The term "New Wave" refering specifically to "synthesizer music" is mostly an American usage IIRC.

Written By: Howard on 12/13/14 at 6:59 am

What was so nerdy about it?  ???

Written By: winteriscoming on 12/14/14 at 8:41 pm

I think it was nerdy by the time I was a teenager.

Bands like Tears for Fears for example were tired of the limitations that synthesizers, keyboards, and drum machines place on you.  I have no idea what exactly that means.

I guess back then they were more limiting, but I don't see how they're more limiting than say electric guitar. Nowadays you can make just about any sound with a synth of course.

Written By: winteriscoming on 12/14/14 at 8:42 pm

The term "New Wave" refering specifically to "synthesizer music" is mostly an American usage IIRC.

I think it's more of a style than anything, most of the bands I think of as New Wave used at least some keyboards, but some of them were mostly guitar based, like Talking Heads.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/14/14 at 8:54 pm

New wave music is an umbrella term for several late-1970s to mid-1980s pop/rock musical styles with ties to 1970s punk rock.

Check for new replies or respond here...