inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The first episode of The Simpsons aired 25 years ago today

Written By: winteriscoming on 12/16/14 at 11:40 pm

On December 17, 1989 the first episode of The Simpsons aired in the United States, changing animation and TV forever. If you count the Tracey Ullman Show shorts, 2017 will mark the point where The Simpsons turns 30 years old.  :o

Subject: Re: The first episode of The Simpsons aired 25 years ago today

Written By: Howard on 12/17/14 at 6:50 am

On December 17, 1989 the first episode of The Simpsons aired in the United States, changing animation and TV forever. If you count the Tracey Ullman Show shorts, 2017 will mark the point where The Simpsons turns 30 years old.  :o

I still can't believe The Simpsons aired 25 years ago today. I loved The Simpsons but I don't watch them as much as I used to.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/17/14 at 6:53 am

I still can't believe The Simpsons aired 25 years ago today. I loved The Simpsons but I don't watch them as much as I used to.
That means all the characters should be 25 years older, I.e. Bart should 35 now!

Written By: nally on 12/17/14 at 10:49 am

That means all the characters should be 25 years older, I.e. Bart should 35 now!

Yeah; I personally find it awkward for the characters not to age as time progresses.

Heck, there was even an episode from 2008 (entitled 'That 90s Show') that "retconned" the whole series, and got criticized by many for that.

I might periodically watch an episode from within the last ten years, but I.M.O. those aren't nearly as great as the ones from much earlier than that.

Written By: Howard on 12/17/14 at 1:56 pm

There was an episode where The Simpsons kids aged.

Written By: nally on 12/17/14 at 7:25 pm

Yes, but it was a "look into the future" from when it premiered. But when the actual year rolled around, they still stayed the same!

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/17/14 at 7:39 pm

Yes, but it was a "look into the future" from when it premiered. But when the actual year rolled around, they still stayed the same!
Is it on YouTube?

Written By: nally on 12/17/14 at 10:37 pm

Is it on YouTube?

I doubt it. However, certain portions of certain episodes can probably be found. As well as a series of Bart's crank calls to Moe.

Written By: Howard on 12/18/14 at 7:35 am

Is it on YouTube?

I believe it is.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/02/15 at 3:43 am

I believe it is.
Can you find it?

Written By: Howard on 01/02/15 at 7:30 am

Can you find it?

I tried, don't think it's on YouTube.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/02/15 at 7:33 am

Is it on YouTube?

I believe it is.

I tried, don't think it's on YouTube.
Are you shattering my dreams?

Written By: Howard on 01/02/15 at 8:43 am

Are you shattering my dreams?

not a full clip but a short one.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/10/15 at 6:57 pm

Heck, there was even an episode from 2008 (entitled 'That 90s Show') that "retconned" the whole series, and got criticized by many for that.

As a longtime fan of the show, I will personally never be able to forgive them for that terrible episode. They completely wipe out the already established history of the characters, and for what? Just so they could do that blatantly transparent gag where Homer becomes a thinly veiled Kurt Cobain clone and "invents" Grunge?

I know I should let it go after seven years, but that episode still sticks in my craw.

Written By: nally on 01/11/15 at 12:00 pm

As a longtime fan of the show, I will personally never be able to forgive them for that terrible episode. They completely wipe out the already established history of the characters, and for what? Just so they could do that blatantly transparent gag where Homer becomes a thinly veiled Kurt Cobain clone and "invents" Grunge?

I know I should let it go after seven years, but that episode still sticks in my craw.

You said it; makes me wonder what the writers of the show were thinking when they came up with that idea. Karma+1.

Written By: Howard on 01/11/15 at 2:16 pm

There was an episode where Bart thought he was talking to Michael Jackson.

Written By: nally on 01/11/15 at 3:01 pm

There was an episode where Bart thought he was talking to Michael Jackson.

That was one of the early episodes.

Check for new replies or respond here...