inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Were there "wiggers" in the 80s?

Written By: winteriscoming on 03/26/15 at 1:26 am

Everyone knows that the 1990s, 2000s and 2010s are plagued by the scourge of white teenagers and young adults who think they are inner city blacks. Was this already widespread in the mid-late 80s or did Vanilla Ice pretty much invent it?

I know the Beastie Boys were very popular in 1986 and I doubt all of their fans were black. Even in the early 80s Wham and Blondie flirted with hip hop style, so it's not like rap was entirely unknown to white people.

Subject: Re: Were there "wiggers" in the 80s?

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/26/15 at 3:23 am

Is 'wigger' an offensive word?

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 03/26/15 at 7:30 am

https://top100hiphopalbumsofalltime.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/vanilla-ice-hooked.jpg
You brought up Vanilla Ice already.

3rd Bass

https://ionegiantmag.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/mcserch.gif

Written By: snozberries on 03/26/15 at 2:47 pm

Is 'wigger' an offensive word?

Highly offensive

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/26/15 at 2:54 pm

Highly offensive

Thanks, I thought so.

Written By: Howard on 03/26/15 at 3:49 pm

Highly offensive

I definitely agree. >:(

Written By: 80sfan on 03/26/15 at 10:18 pm

Well, the word is a version of another word (wink, wink, nudge, nudge).  :-\\

I've heard this word used a lot in high school, by white and black people. A word gets used around you and you feel way too comfortable around it, which is perhaps why the original poster used it. Not an excuse, I know. I've only used the word to explain to another person once why it is offensive and what it means though.

I've seen white and asian Facebook users use the N word, so some people are bad influences.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 03/26/15 at 10:37 pm

It's the same as calling a black person a "n!gger" >:(  And as a 38, 39 in September, white female I find that particular word to be quite offensive.  So I haven't the foggiest notion what exactly the point of this thread is but I would appreciate it very much if the original poster of this thread to please choose words with a little more care because if you don't you're going to get a reaction just like this.

Written By: gibbo on 03/27/15 at 2:03 am

Never heard the term before this thread...

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 03/27/15 at 2:08 am

Never heard the term before this thread...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wigger

Wigger (or "wigga") is a slang term for a white person who emulates mannerisms, language, and fashions associated with African-American culture, particularly hip hop, and in Britain, the grime scene. The term is a portmanteau of white and ******.

The term may be considered derogatory, reflecting stereotypes of African-American, black British and white culture (when used as synonym of white trash). The wannabe connotation may be used pejoratively, implying a failed attempt at cultural appropriation by a white subject. It is also sometimes used in a racist manner, not only belittling the person perceived as "acting black", but also demeaning black people and culture, by proxy.

Historically, the term "white ******" has been used in Northern Ireland to refer to the Catholics.  An example of this can be found in the Elvis Costello song "Oliver's Army", which contains the following lyric: "Only takes one itchy trigger. One more widow, one less white ******." It was also applied to Irish Catholic immigrants to the United States and their descendants. Today, the term may be considered derogatory to Irish-Americans. In another use of the term, Pierre Vallières's work White ******s of America refers to French Canadians.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/27/15 at 12:33 pm

https://lh5.ggpht.com/FSRMEz07s8_RGcJMUS_i_uQ_82SdO4VcxseQAqsKzJuBEeSGWMG-XE0BAQY7pswe64Q=h900

Gnome sayin'?

Written By: 80sfan on 03/27/15 at 1:35 pm

https://lh5.ggpht.com/FSRMEz07s8_RGcJMUS_i_uQ_82SdO4VcxseQAqsKzJuBEeSGWMG-XE0BAQY7pswe64Q=h900

Gnome sayin'?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Bobby on 05/03/15 at 12:28 pm

Gnome sayin'?

Heh heh. Probably the biggest example ever.  I love Trailer Park Boys! ;D

I'm not too sure if there were those type of people as a sub-class in the 1980s. I suppose the closest was The Beastie Boys thing in the UK where people of a criminal bent were nicking car badges from the hoods of cars and using them to make medalions.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/03/15 at 3:51 pm

Highly offensive

lol  ;D ;D ;D

Written By: tv on 05/03/15 at 8:10 pm

Everyone knows that the 1990s, 2000s and 2010s are plagued by the scourge of white teenagers and young adults who think they are inner city blacks. Was this already widespread in the mid-late 80s or did Vanilla Ice pretty much invent it?

I know the Beastie Boys were very popular in 1986 and I doubt all of their fans were black. Even in the early 80s Wham and Blondie flirted with hip hop style, so it's not like rap was entirely unknown to white people.
I don't think in the 1980's wiggers were common. I think it was 1996-1998 was when the "wigger trend" was it as its high point. I think teen-pop(1999-2000) kind of put a stop to the trend. I remember in 2005 I saw a couple of people hanging onto their mid-late 90's fashion but that's it in terms of baggy clothes. The "wiggers" now if you seem them they probably grew up in the inner city. I don't see any wiggers around now and I do live near NYC(in Central Jersey) so I am pretty up with the current trends.

I agree with you on Blondie flirting with Rap Music because of their song "Rapture" which had a rap verse in it. Wham!-They were more influenced by R&B than Rap in the 80's.

Written By: snozberries on 05/03/15 at 10:30 pm

lol  ;D ;D ;D

I'm not sure why that's funny  :-\\

I don't think in the 1980's wiggers were common. I think it was 1996-1998 was when the "wigger trend" was it as its high point. I think teen-pop(1999-2000) kind of put a stop to the trend. I remember in 2005 I saw a couple of people hanging onto their mid-late 90's fashion but that's it in terms of baggy clothes. The "wiggers" now if you seem them they probably grew up in the inner city. I don't see any wiggers around now and I do live near NYC(in Central Jersey) so I am pretty up with the current trends.

I agree with you on Blondie flirting with Rap Music because of their song "Rapture" which had a rap verse in it. Wham!-They were more influenced by R&B than Rap in the 80's.

I'd say 92-ish. Around the time Michael Rappaort did his first movie....Zebrahead...

Written By: tv on 05/04/15 at 12:22 am

I'd say 92-ish. Around the time Michael Rappaort did his first movie....Zebrahead...
I never knew that movie existed. Now I might have to go and watch it sometime. Rappaport has been in the public eye a lot lately especially on ESPN.

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/04/15 at 4:02 am

In my jr. high years I remember boys wearing urban clothing, sports jerseys, and baggy athletic pants. That was the late 90's. In the mid 90's I saw alot of South Pole clothing worn by white kids/20 somethings and the plaid sweatshirts were a late 2000's thing here. Throughout most of the 2000's bling jewelry was in.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/04/15 at 9:05 am

I apologize :-[ it just struck me as funny when I first read it, meant no harm. :\'(

Written By: 80sfan on 05/04/15 at 11:30 am

Sounds to me like Vanilla Ice kind of started it and by 1992 it exploded.

Written By: snozberries on 05/04/15 at 11:32 am

I apologize :-[ it just struck me as funny when I first read it, meant no harm. :\'(

No worries I was just curious

Written By: Howard on 05/04/15 at 1:13 pm

Sounds to me like Vanilla Ice kind of started it and by 1992 it exploded.

I thought it was a 70's term?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/04/15 at 1:21 pm

From wikipedia:

"The phenomenon of white people adopting stereotypical black mannerisms, speech, and apparel – which in the general case is called allophilia – has appeared in several generations since slavery was abolished in the Western world. The concept has been documented in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia and other white-majority countries. An early form of this was the white negro in the jazz and swing music scenes of the 1920s and 1930s; as examined in the 1957 Norman Mailer essay "The White Negro". It was later seen in the zoot suiter of the 1930s and 1940s, the hipster of the 1940s, the beatnik and the blue-eyed soul of the 1970s, and the hip hop of the 1980s."

Written By: 80sfan on 05/04/15 at 2:10 pm

The term may have, perhaps a lot earlier, based on what Philip is posting. But I think it exploded in the early 90s.

Written By: winteriscoming on 05/06/15 at 1:08 am

Would you say the wigger trend began in 1990 with Vanilla Ice, or a bit later than that?  I mean was he actually considered cool?  ;D

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/06/15 at 4:21 am

Would you say the wigger trend began in 1990 with Vanilla Ice, or a bit later than that?  I mean was he actually considered cool?  ;D

I always understood him to be kind of a one hit wonder.  :-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/06/15 at 4:42 am

In the UK, in total Vanilla Ice had five hits, and is not considered a one hit wonder.

Written By: Bobby on 05/06/15 at 11:13 am

In the UK, in total Vanilla Ice had five hits, and is not considered a one hit wonder.

Vanilla Ice may have had 4 top 30 hits from 1990/1991 but most of us only remember 'Ice Ice Baby' and his cover of Wild Cherry's 'Play that Funky Music'.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/06/15 at 11:40 am

Vanilla Ice may have had 4 top 30 hits from 1990/1991 but most of us only remember 'Ice Ice Baby' and his cover of Wild Cherry's 'Play that Funky Music'.
I seem to recall Vanilla Ice being on a reality show, was it "The Farm"?

Written By: Bobby on 05/06/15 at 11:45 am

According to Wikipedia, he was in the first series but I didn't watch it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/06/15 at 11:45 am

According to Wikipedia, he was in the first series but I didn't watch it.
I only glimpsed it.

Written By: snozberries on 05/06/15 at 12:59 pm

Two hit wonder in the US

Written By: snozberries on 05/06/15 at 1:04 pm

He was on the Surreal Life and he has a home improvement type show called The Vanilla Ice Project that's been on for 4 yrs....I never watched it.

Did anyone see Cool As Ice? It was his first movie...came out in 91 at the height of his fame.  I forgot about it and don't recall watching it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/06/15 at 1:05 pm

He was on the Surreal Life and he has a home improvement type show called The Vanilla Ice Project that's been on for 4 yrs....I never watched it.

Did anyone see Cool As Ice? It was his first movie...came out in 91 at the height of his fame.  I forgot about it and don't recall watching it.
OMG!!! There is a movie too!

Written By: snozberries on 05/06/15 at 1:05 pm

OMG!!! There is a movie too!

Yup. 

:D

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/06/15 at 1:09 pm

Yup. 

You can pay to watch on YouTube ?

Written By: snozberries on 05/06/15 at 1:09 pm

Yup. 

I just watched the trailer on YouTube.....

It looks so bad ima haft to watch it!!! Lol

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/06/15 at 1:11 pm

I just watched the trailer on YouTube.....

It looks so bad ima haft to watch it!!! Lol
The film was developed as a vehicle for Vanilla Ice, and has received negative reviews and was a box office bomb.

Written By: snozberries on 05/06/15 at 1:11 pm

They may have the full movie on YouTube. I'm gonna check Netflix tho

Written By: snozberries on 05/06/15 at 1:12 pm

The film was developed as a vehicle for Vanilla Ice, and has received negative reviews and was a box office bomb.

Yeah like I said. It looks really bad.  Really really bad.

But now it'll be campy fun. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/06/15 at 1:12 pm

They may have the full movie on YouTube. I'm gonna check Netflix tho
Film website Rotten Tomatoes, which compiles reviews from a wide range of critics, gives the film a score of 8%

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/06/15 at 1:13 pm

Something to moan at on one of those days?

Written By: Howard on 05/06/15 at 1:29 pm

He had a few other hits besides "Ice Ice Baby" it includes: "Play That Funky Music" and "Stop That Train" in 1990 and 1991.

Written By: Howard on 05/06/15 at 1:31 pm

I think you can watch it for free?

Written By: Howard on 05/06/15 at 1:32 pm

He should've stuck to singing and not acting.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/06/15 at 1:33 pm

I think you can watch it for free?
Have you tried it yet?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/06/15 at 1:34 pm

He should've stuck to singing and not acting.
Singing?

Written By: snozberries on 05/06/15 at 1:38 pm

Singing?

Yeah the man can rap okay...he's not great but I've heard worse. But he cannot sing.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/06/15 at 1:41 pm

Yeah the man can rap okay...he's not great but I've heard worse. But he cannot sing.
I have notice that Naomi Campbell sings in that movie.

Written By: Howard on 05/06/15 at 3:17 pm

Have you tried it yet?

No I haven't yet.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/06/15 at 3:21 pm

No I haven't yet.
Please do let us know.

Written By: robby76 on 05/07/15 at 4:52 am

In 1988 a UK football team came out with this rap that got to no3 in the UK charts. It's just a bit of fun but there was definitely an element of hip-hop wannabes.

Kcy3gwwxat4

Written By: Howard on 05/07/15 at 1:31 pm

Please do let us know.

Yep, you can watch it for free. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/07/15 at 1:38 pm

Yep, you can watch it for free. :)
Now I have to find time to watch it.

Check for new replies or respond here...