inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Songs only released in one country that were big hits

Written By: holicman on 06/19/15 at 8:38 am

I grew up in New Zealand, and the song I have here is called Poi E from the Patea Maori club. It was a one hit wonder that went to number 1 and is an anthem in New Zealand.

Its a really catchy song that I personally enjoy, I hope you enjoy it and maybe if there are any other members with songs from the less popular countries (music wise) please post any videos here :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQLUygS0IAQ

Subject: Re: Songs only released in one country that were big hits

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 06/19/15 at 3:47 pm

The only band in Canada that I can think of who had a single hit was Platinum Blonde who went to Number 1 on the RPM Singles Charts with their song Crying Over You.  09/07/1985 which was also my 9th birthday. :)

Maybe Mr DJ whistledog can confirm the other bands who had only one hit in Canada as well?

KCfEAzeLP-w

Written By: Henk on 06/20/15 at 1:09 am

There are countless songs that were released only in the Netherlands AND were big hits. The main problem with those songs is: they're in Dutch. That's why it would pretty pointless to release them elsewhere (well, apart from maybe Belgium).

At this point, I can think of only one song that was only released in the Netherlands and was a big hit, and that isn't being sung in Dutch. I could be wrong about this one, it might've been released elsewhere too, but I'm pretty sure it only landed the top spot in the Netherlands. Here it is:

Joey Dyser - 100 Years

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98kzjZ_nLPM

Written By: Henk on 06/20/15 at 1:16 am

I grew up in New Zealand, and the song I have here is called Poi E from the Patea Maori club. It was a one hit wonder that went to number 1 and is an anthem in New Zealand.

Its a really catchy song that I personally enjoy, I hope you enjoy it and maybe if there are any other members with songs from the less popular countries (music wise) please post any videos here :)

What a great and catchy song that is. :) It's easy to see how this became an anthem in NZ.
It should've been released in the Netherlands, 'cause this is just the kind of (exotic) stuff we tend to like. Seems like you've missed a huge opportunity there...

Written By: holicman on 06/20/15 at 6:31 am

It is a great song isnt it Henk ? :) Its called poi e because those things they are swinging in their hands are called Poi's which are a cultural maori item for recreational use.

I also think it could be a good song for any football club Gustavo Poyet is a manager of :)

Written By: whistledog on 06/22/15 at 4:42 pm

For us in Canada, c_keenan is correct with Platinum Blonde.  We also had a #1 hit in 1985 called 'Tears Are Not Enough' by Northern Lights.  It was our version of the charity single craze of the mid 80s, and though it was (to my knowledge) only a hit in Canada, it appears on the 'We Are the World' album which was a hit in many countries.

For more than just #1 hits, there are quite a few 80s hits that were popular in Canada that did not chart anywhere else (atleast not from what I have found).  Here is one that I always think of in a topic like this ...

In 1982, the popular American duo Hall and Oates released the album "H2O" which went on to become the biggest hit of their career.  When 'Family Man' was chosen for the third single, they opted not to release it in Canada because the original version by Mike Oldfield had made our Top 40 and was still on the radio quite a bit.  In place, they chose the John Oates sung 'Italian Girls' as the 3rd single in Canada, and it reached a peak of #24.  That may not seem like a big hit, but in Canada, you don't have to have a high chart peak to have a song that is immensely popular ...

GtYIqTLYvuE

Written By: whistledog on 06/22/15 at 4:45 pm

There are countless songs that were released only in the Netherlands AND were big hits. The main problem with those songs is: they're in Dutch. That's why it would pretty pointless to release them elsewhere (well, apart from maybe Belgium).

At this point, I can think of only one song that was only released in the Netherlands and was a big hit, and that isn't being sung in Dutch. I could be wrong about this one, it might've been released elsewhere too, but I'm pretty sure it only landed the top spot in the Netherlands. Here it is:

Joey Dyser - 100 Years

I quite like that one.  The drums remind me of 'Scotch on the Rocks' by Band of the Black Watch. 

That is quite catchy.  Kind of reminds me of Boney M or Goombay Dance Band

Written By: holicman on 06/23/15 at 8:17 am

Here is another that is an australian Anthem........ massive over the country and was released in NZ also, but nowhere else. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQfAZVsz6KM

Aussie band Daddy Cool with Eagle Rock

Check for new replies or respond here...