inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Michael Jackson's Thriller becomes first album to sale 30 million, domestically!

Written By: 80sfan on 12/16/15 at 8:30 am

30X Platinum!

http://www.songlyrics.audio/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/michael-jackson-beat-it5.jpg

Subject: Re: Michael Jackson's Thriller becomes first album to sale 30 million, domestically!

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/16/15 at 9:25 am

This just makes me happy as a fan that Thriller is so far reaching and resonated with so many people and to this day, 32 years later it still does. It's incredible to me as a fan and I'm so proud.  ;D

Subject: Re: Michael Jackson's Thriller becomes first album to sale 30 million, domestically!

Written By: 80sfan on 12/16/15 at 10:23 am

First in history to reach 30X Platinum!!

I can't say that I'm a fan, but I'm not a hater either. It's because I'm a numbers person that I posted this news. See? It's my numbers obsession that made me do it.  :)

Written By: Howard on 12/16/15 at 2:26 pm

This just makes me happy as a fan that Thriller is so far reaching and resonated with so many people and to this day, 32 years later it still does. It's incredible to me as a fan and I'm so proud.  ;D

and so many songs came from that album.

Written By: whistledog on 12/16/15 at 2:59 pm

I am a numbers guy as well, but I am a bit more extreme ...

In November of 2013, the song 'Thriller' returned to the US charts for 1 week where it peaked at #42.  In November of 2014, it returned again, peaking at #35, then once again in November of 2015 where it reached #45

Since 2007, the song has also returned to the UK chart in November of every year except 2011:
2007 - UK #57
2008 - UK #35
2009 - UK #26
2010 - UK #68
2012 - UK #49
2013 - UK #48
2014 - UK #57
2015 - UK #61

The UK is where the song has charted the most, but that's no surprise.  Most often, when a known song appears in a popular UK TV advert, it can spark enough downloads on iTunes to make the charts

Written By: 80sfan on 12/16/15 at 3:11 pm

I am a numbers guy as well, but I am a bit more extreme ...

In November of 2013, the song 'Thriller' returned to the US charts for 1 week where it peaked at #42.  In November of 2014, it returned again, peaking at #35, then once again in November of 2015 where it reached #45

Since 2007, the song has also returned to the UK chart in November of every year except 2011:
2007 - UK #57
2008 - UK #35
2009 - UK #26
2010 - UK #68
2012 - UK #49
2013 - UK #48
2014 - UK #57
2015 - UK #61

The UK is where the song has charted the most, but that's no surprise.  Most often, when a known song appears in a popular UK TV advert, it can spark enough downloads on iTunes to make the charts

Goodie! Plus, Thriller beat The Eagles' Greatest Hits, or whatever it's called. Both were tied at 29X Platinum, not anymore. At least for now, only Michael stands at 30X Platinum.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/16/15 at 3:12 pm

and so many songs came from that album.

Selling 10 million albums in the US alone, is a huge and very hard feat. Imagine selling 30 million!  :o  :o

Written By: Howard on 12/16/15 at 3:21 pm

Selling 10 million albums in the US alone, is a huge and very hard feat. Imagine selling 30 million!  :o  :o

and fans continue to buy his music.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/16/15 at 4:13 pm

and fans continue to buy his music.

We do...we do.

Written By: Howard on 12/17/15 at 3:25 pm

We do...we do.

I have just about almost every music CD he made from Thriller to Bad to Dangerous and most of The Jacksons, The 1976 CD and The Victory CD.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/17/15 at 4:30 pm

I have just about almost every music CD he made from Thriller to Bad to Dangerous and most of The Jacksons, The 1976 CD and The Victory CD.

I only have Thriller, on CD and tape. Uh, and his Number Ones greatest hits.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/17/15 at 7:43 pm

I literally don't even want to think of what I've bought from him.  ;D Probably too much to a normal person! LOL

Written By: Howard on 12/18/15 at 7:21 am

I only have Thriller, on CD and tape. Uh, and his Number Ones greatest hits.

Do you have The Jacksons? ???

Written By: Howard on 12/18/15 at 7:22 am

I literally don't even want to think of what I've bought from him.  ;D Probably too much to a normal person! LOL

So that means you have a long list?

Written By: 80sfan on 12/18/15 at 7:59 am

Do you have The Jacksons? ???

I have a Michael Jackson's greatest hits CD with some Jackson Five singles on it.  :P

Written By: Howard on 12/18/15 at 8:01 am

I have a Michael Jackson's greatest hits CD with some Jackson Five singles on it.  :P

http://pxhst.co/avaxhome/f0/1f/00121ff0_medium.jpeg

I own this CD. ↑

Written By: 80sfan on 09/16/16 at 3:44 pm

It's been certified 32X Platinum. 32 million copies sold, in the US alone. Wow!!!

It's near impossible for an album to do that these days, maybe in the 70s, 80s, and 90s. 00s and 10s? No way! Unless the album's a game changer.

Written By: Howard on 09/16/16 at 4:05 pm

It's been certified 32X Platinum. 32 million copies sold, in the US alone. Wow!!!

It's near impossible for an album to do that these days, maybe in the 70s, 80s, and 90s. 00s and 10s? No way! Unless the album's a game changer.

:o that's incredible.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/16/16 at 10:41 pm

:o that's incredible.

It's going to take a miracle for another album to sell that much again.  8)

Written By: apollonia1986 on 09/16/16 at 10:43 pm

As a fan of Michael Jackson for over 2/3 of my life, this makes me extremely proud.  :)

Written By: 80sfan on 09/16/16 at 11:27 pm

As a fan of Michael Jackson for over 2/3 of my life, this makes me extremely proud.  :)

Michael wanted the best selling album of all time, and it came true for him.  :)

Written By: Howard on 09/17/16 at 7:12 am

It's going to take a miracle for another album to sell that much again.  8)

nobody in the music industry today will ever reach those heights like Michael did.

Written By: Howard on 09/17/16 at 7:13 am

I've been a fan of him half my life and I'm proud too. :)

Written By: 80sfan on 09/17/16 at 9:38 pm

nobody in the music industry today will ever reach those heights like Michael did.

He was huge in 1983/1984/1985!  :o  :o

Written By: yelimsexa on 09/18/16 at 10:37 am

He was huge in 1983/1984/1985!  :o  :o

And in late 1987, 1988, early 1989, late 1991, 1992, and early 1993 too!

That said, it is interesting though that I would believe that many other albums of "classic" artists like Michael have gone Platinum/Multi-Platinum as of late. I would imagine Prince's got some recent upgrades, too.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 09/18/16 at 2:53 pm

That said, it is interesting though that I would believe that many other albums of "classic" artists like Michael have gone Platinum/Multi-Platinum as of late. I would imagine Prince's got some recent upgrades, too.

Folks are probably remembering what real music sounds like.  ::)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/18/16 at 3:10 pm

Real music was around until the early 2010s to me.

Written By: Howard on 09/18/16 at 3:30 pm

I'm one of them.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/18/16 at 4:01 pm

You could have just said he was huge until 1993.  ;D

Written By: apollonia1986 on 09/18/16 at 4:13 pm

Real music was around until the early 2010s to me.

I think you're right. It took a hit when Michael died and then it REALLY took a down turn when Prince did. I wasn't as big into Prince as I used to be  at the time of his passing, but I still do recognize the talent he possessed. And I see Michael Jackson literally every day of my life on my social media. Even when I'm not looking for him, there he is. I reckon that speaks to his impact. Because no matter what I look at I see him. One day I was looking at baby pageant dresses with a friend and I saw like five MJ-themed, custom costumes for sale on a pageant website
He's everywhere. I did alot of his songs when I did pageants...he's inescapable. We even sang his songs at my 5th grade graduation!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/18/16 at 4:54 pm

I think you're right. It took a hit when Michael died and then it REALLY took a down turn when Prince did. I wasn't as big into Prince as I used to be  at the time of his passing, but I still do recognize the talent he possessed. And I see Michael Jackson literally every day of my life on my social media. Even when I'm not looking for him, there he is. I reckon that speaks to his impact. Because no matter what I look at I see him. One day I was looking at baby pageant dresses with a friend and I saw like five MJ-themed, custom costumes for sale on a pageant website
He's everywhere. I did alot of his songs when I did pageants...he's inescapable. We even sang his songs at my 5th grade graduation!

I think it's quite different in New York. I rarely see any Michael Jackson fanatics, so I don't really see his music everywhere. There was a hype for him when he did, but I didn't really care since I barely grew up with his music. If you asked me, I grew up more with 2000s rock music for some reason. As a kid, it was exciting for me to listen to Linkin Park, Billy Talent, Finger Eleven, and a bunch of other bands at the time.

Written By: Howard on 09/19/16 at 2:49 pm

You could have just said he was huge until 1993.  ;D

After 1993, he had the child molestation case.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/19/16 at 6:07 pm

After 1993, he had the child molestation case.

Yes, but his 1995 greatest hits, History: Past, Present, and Future Book I, was a hit.

http://www.soulbounce.com/soul/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/soulbounce-class-of-1995-michael-jackson-history-past-present-future-book-1.jpg

Written By: apollonia1986 on 09/19/16 at 9:25 pm

Yes, but his 1995 greatest hits, History: Past, Present, and Future Book I, was a hit.

http://www.soulbounce.com/soul/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/soulbounce-class-of-1995-michael-jackson-history-past-present-future-book-1.jpg

That's the year I became a fan and that was the second MJ album I got (Bad was first because History was too expensive for my mom to buy on such short notice) LOL
And to think the whole MJ thing for me was an accident. When he was married to his first wife, they were on 20/20 and I watched the interview and saw the premiere of the You Are Not Alone video and 21 years later here I am. LOL Actually in the same room I became a fan. LOL  ;D I just remember it took a while for me to understand his magnitude and at one point I was like "do other singers have it like that"  :D

Written By: 80sfan on 09/19/16 at 10:25 pm

That's the year I became a fan and that was the second MJ album I got (Bad was first because History was too expensive for my mom to buy on such short notice) LOL
And to think the whole MJ thing for me was an accident. When he was married to his first wife, they were on 20/20 and I watched the interview and saw the premiere of the You Are Not Alone video and 21 years later here I am. LOL Actually in the same room I became a fan. LOL  ;D I just remember it took a while for me to understand his magnitude and at one point I was like "do other singers have it like that"  :D

It can take me a few years before I become a 'fan' of someone, or something. Like two, or three, albums.  ;D

Written By: apollonia1986 on 09/19/16 at 11:42 pm

It can take me a few years before I become a 'fan' of someone, or something. Like two, or three, albums.  ;D

I think I had a few false starts with other artists, but MJ was like a sure thing. 3T was too especially since I had to send off to Germany for their albums. (which I cannot find the damn CDs in this hovel I call a room) Any Jackson is a safe bet cause they got staying power, but I was cautious of other artists because so many come and are gone like tomorrow. I liked O-Town and Dream Street and a few other bands as a kid and teen and they're like "find me" now. Michael was instantaneous. Like he was my calling life. And I kind of try to pour the same enthusiasm into his nephews. I think I pour it into all the Jacksons. LOL  ;D

Written By: Howard on 09/20/16 at 2:46 pm

I was a fan 30 years ago.

Check for new replies or respond here...