inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What was it like going from a typewriter to a computer?

Written By: d90 on 12/27/15 at 1:36 pm

What was the first Operating system you used?

Subject: Re: What was it like going from a typewriter to a computer?

Written By: gibbo on 12/28/15 at 3:37 am

I only really started using computers (at work) in about 1993. I worked in an office at a University ... so we had computers earlier than many places. It was a dos based system.

Before that ... we had to write out our work on computer sheets (lots of little squares) and send it off to the State University (who had a computer centre). They ran our worksheets through their computer (which was huge ... like those old computers that filled a room).  They would then return the deciphered work to us in reports (on that old lined computer paper). We would also receive the work on microfiche sheets.  Each of us had a microfiche reader on our desks (later replaced by a PC),

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/28/15 at 9:06 am

Am I the only person on this board who actually used punch cards?  ;D

I was a college student in 1978 and had a programming class.  We programmed in Fortran and created programs on punch card decks - a whole experience in itself - which we handed in over what I call an "order window" where staff fed the punch cards into a room-filling IBM - and after waiting for about 15 minutes (more if it was busy) we could then find out whether our programs worked.  Of course if they didn't work we'd start over.  Sheesh!  It's a wonder I pursued computer programming in that atmosphere...

In 1980 I had quit college (momentarily) taking a government job.  My computer exposure there was a link into the nationwide law enforcement network we had available to us.  I gained a reputation as being a 'whiz' on accessing that network among colleagues.  It was in doing so that my interest in returning to school to study computers was kindled.  While there ('82ish), one of the office secretaries I chatted with was giddy over the new "Word Processor" she just got at the office and how much it improved over the typewriter.  This piqued my curiosity, although I never got to use it.  I remembered her saying it was based on a computer - but all it did was work on documents.  Interesting...

In 1983 after returning to college I landed my dream co-op position (basically a paid hyper internship, repeated throughout the rest of school) at Digital Equipment Corporation.  I loved working there.  At the time we had PDP-11 and VAX computers - both made by the company - and I quickly learned leading edge (at the time) computer skills.  In 1984 the VAX had become extremely popular both in the academic and business worlds.  Now a VAX was a network-centric computer - there was a main VAX server computer and a series of hardwired "dumb" terminals - each one connected to the same VAX computer.  Users could also network together multiple VAX servers which talked together nicely.  IMO the VAX network took computing to new levels and made it accessible to more people.  At the same time there were other computer businesses who also had network-centric systems, made by the likes of IBM, Wang (who remembers them) and a host of smaller players.  That was 80's style computing in a nutshell.

In 1986 I took my permanent job (where I still work) and at the time we used VAX computers.  During this time I'd interact with some of the secretaries - who began using this strange contraption made by IBM that we called a "PC".  Now this "PC" used those big 5 inch floppy disks and had little or no hard drive space - and memory to match.  We techies laughed at the "PC" as little more than a toy - it was mostly used for word processing and very light computing (small spreadsheets, etc.).  On the other hand, my first supervisor brought his personal "Apple Macintosh" computer to work.  Contrary to the "PC", this computer was a thing of beauty.  We used it to draw some diagrams.  Now at this time none of the dissimilar computers talked to each other - a characteristic we were used to.  But I remember thinking the Macintosh was a pretty cool little computer.

This is pretty much how the 80's went.  We personally (at home) went through our "toy" PC phase (Commodore 64, etc.) like everyone else.  The PC didn't catch on in a major way until around the end of the decade, when Windows 3.1 surfaced.  Windows 3.1 was really the first operating system that made PCs useful for the masses and not strictly a toy.  However it wasn't really widespread until the early 1990s.

Written By: Howard on 12/28/15 at 2:30 pm

Am I the only person on this board who actually used punch cards?

I used punch cards too as well.

Written By: Howard on 12/28/15 at 2:33 pm

What was the first Operating system you used?

It was kind of hard at first then it got easier towards the end, I started out typing on a typewriter then transitioned to using a computer later on.

Written By: gibbo on 12/28/15 at 3:30 pm

I was a college student in 1978 and had a programming class.  We programmed in Fortran and created programs on punch card decks - a whole experience in itself - which we handed in over what I call an "order window" where staff fed the punch cards into a room-filling IBM - and after waiting for about 15 minutes (more if it was busy) we could then find out whether our programs worked.  Of course if they didn't work we'd start over.  Sheesh!  It's a wonder I pursued computer programming in that atmosphere...

In 1980 I had quit college (momentarily) taking a government job.  My computer exposure there was a link into the nationwide law enforcement network we had available to us.  I gained a reputation as being a 'whiz' on accessing that network among colleagues.  It was in doing so that my interest in returning to school to study computers was kindled.  While there ('82ish), one of the office secretaries I chatted with was giddy over the new "Word Processor" she just got at the office and how much it improved over the typewriter.  This piqued my curiosity, although I never got to use it.  I remembered her saying it was based on a computer - but all it did was work on documents.  Interesting...

In 1983 after returning to college I landed my dream co-op position (basically a paid hyper internship, repeated throughout the rest of school) at Digital Equipment Corporation.  I loved working there.  At the time we had PDP-11 and VAX computers - both made by the company - and I quickly learned leading edge (at the time) computer skills.  In 1984 the VAX had become extremely popular both in the academic and business worlds.  Now a VAX was a network-centric computer - there was a main VAX server computer and a series of hardwired "dumb" terminals - each one connected to the same VAX computer.  Users could also network together multiple VAX servers which talked together nicely.  IMO the VAX network took computing to new levels and made it accessible to more people.  At the same time there were other computer businesses who also had network-centric systems, made by the likes of IBM, Wang (who remembers them) and a host of smaller players.  That was 80's style computing in a nutshell.

In 1986 I took my permanent job (where I still work) and at the time we used VAX computers.  During this time I'd interact with some of the secretaries - who began using this strange contraption made by IBM that we called a "PC".  Now this "PC" used those big 5 inch floppy disks and had little or no hard drive space - and memory to match.  We techies laughed at the "PC" as little more than a toy - it was mostly used for word processing and very light computing (small spreadsheets, etc.).  On the other hand, my first supervisor brought his personal "Apple Macintosh" computer to work.  Contrary to the "PC", this computer was a thing of beauty.  We used it to draw some diagrams.  Now at this time none of the dissimilar computers talked to each other - a characteristic we were used to.  But I remember thinking the Macintosh was a pretty cool little computer.

This is pretty much how the 80's went.  We personally (at home) went through our "toy" PC phase (Commodore 64, etc.) like everyone else.  The PC didn't catch on in a major way until around the end of the decade, when Windows 3.1 surfaced.  Windows 3.1 was really the first operating system that made PCs useful for the masses and not strictly a toy.  However it wasn't really widespread until the early 1990s.

I used them in my computing class in 1977 (in final year of high school).

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/28/15 at 5:11 pm

Even though I'm a 2000s kid, I never really used a typewriter before. Also, my first operating system that I used was Windows ME.

Written By: Elor on 01/14/16 at 5:50 am

Being born in 1981 I never used a typewriter except for just trying one out that we had at home. I started typing on a Commodore C64 and Commodore Plus/4.

Written By: violet_shy on 01/17/16 at 5:20 pm

We used typewriters in middle school(that was early/mid 90s). Then when I got to High school we had computer classes that was when we used Windows 95 and AOL. It was....different.

I think this topic should have been in the "More than a decade" discussion board. Just saying. :)

Written By: humaeast on 01/30/16 at 12:50 pm

I was never born in the 80s. My first computer was Windows 95 or Windows XP. I was born in 2002. Although I have used a typewriter app on the iPad!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/30/16 at 12:59 pm

I was never born in the 80s. My first computer was Windows 95 or Windows XP. I was born in 2002. Although I have used a typewriter app on the iPad!

Wow, I never knew that I could actually meet a person who was born in '02. Considering that was the first year that I remembered, albeit vaguely.

Written By: Howard on 01/30/16 at 5:53 pm

Do you still use the app?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 11/23/16 at 2:21 am

Unless your parents owned a computer which dated back to the Mid/Late 90s, it's quite likely that the computer you first used had Windows XP on it. I was born in 1999 and Windows XP was the first operating system I used.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 11/23/16 at 5:57 am

Do you still use the app?

No. I deleted it because I thought it was lame.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/23/16 at 7:47 am

It was goodbye to awkwatd carbon paper, messy typewriter ribbon and Tipp-Ex, and hello to straightforward cartridge ink printers.

Written By: d90 on 11/23/16 at 10:46 am

My 12th grade drama class used the Typewriter as a prop during scenes.

Written By: Howard on 11/23/16 at 2:42 pm

It was goodbye to awkwatd carbon paper, messy typewriter ribbon and Tipp-Ex, and hello to straightforward cartridge ink printers.

In a way I sometimes miss old fashioned typewriters.
http://www.vintagetypewritershoppe.com/i/CS2011/P7147029.JPG

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/23/16 at 2:46 pm

In a way I sometimes miss old fashioned typewriters.
http://www.vintagetypewritershoppe.com/i/CS2011/P7147029.JPG
The clatter of the keys?

Written By: Howard on 11/23/16 at 3:33 pm

The clatter of the keys?

and the chinging sound.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/23/16 at 3:45 pm

This!

g2LJ1i7222c

Written By: violet_shy on 11/23/16 at 5:04 pm

Those must have been used before my time, cause I have no idea what they are lol.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/23/16 at 5:40 pm

My elder sister was trained at school with punch cards, she brought some home to show the family.

Written By: 2001 on 11/23/16 at 8:16 pm

My 12th grade drama class used the Typewriter as a prop during scenes.

Now the question becomes "What was it like going from a computer to a typewriter?"  ;D

Written By: d90 on 11/23/16 at 9:13 pm

Now the question becomes "What was it like going from a computer to a typewriter?"  ;D

It was hard getting used to having to position the paper the right way. But it sure is fun to type on it.

Written By: Howard on 11/24/16 at 2:45 pm

This!

g2LJ1i7222c

the old fashioned way.  :)

Written By: Howard on 11/24/16 at 2:46 pm

Those must have been used before my time, cause I have no idea what they are lol.

https://www.employeetimeclocks.com/admin/mypics/Amano%20MJR%20Punch%20Rounding%20Example.jpg

Written By: violet_shy on 11/24/16 at 4:02 pm

https://www.employeetimeclocks.com/admin/mypics/Amano%20MJR%20Punch%20Rounding%20Example.jpg

They look like voting ballots. I've never used them. Did those come with the typewriters?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/24/16 at 4:04 pm

The standard punched card, originally invented by Herman Hollerith, was first used for vital statistics tabulation by the New York City Board of Health and several states. After this trial use, punched cards were adopted for use in the 1890 census.

Written By: violet_shy on 11/24/16 at 4:09 pm

The standard punched card, originally invented by Herman Hollerith, was first used for vital statistics tabulation by the New York City Board of Health and several states. After this trial use, punched cards were adopted for use in the 1890 census.

I was thinking they were used with typewriters :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/24/16 at 4:12 pm

I was thinking they were used with typewriters :)
Used to store information, so can be used for repetitive tying.

Written By: 2001 on 11/24/16 at 6:25 pm

I remember my teachers using this in the late 1990s/early 2000s when they walked into school.

Also used to record the time you came into work and when you left!

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 11/24/16 at 8:47 pm

My mother still used a typewriter occasionally in order to type out long letters up until about 1999, when she finally started using a PC for typing purposes. My dad typically wrote letters by hand back in those days except in unique cases.

Written By: Howard on 11/25/16 at 7:02 am

They look like voting ballots. I've never used them. Did those come with the typewriters?

http://nationaldays.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Acroprint-Green-Manual-Card-Punch-Time-Clock-and-Recorder.jpg

You'd just slide or just swipe the card and you're good to go.

Written By: Howard on 11/25/16 at 7:03 am

It records all the times you either punched in and out.

Written By: violet_shy on 11/25/16 at 3:21 pm

http://nationaldays.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Acroprint-Green-Manual-Card-Punch-Time-Clock-and-Recorder.jpg

You'd just slide or just swipe the card and you're good to go.

Oh...silly me I thought the punching cards were included with the typewriters. Thanks Howard!

Written By: Howard on 11/25/16 at 3:25 pm

Oh...silly me I thought the punching cards were included with the typewriters. Thanks Howard!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot3FsOOMFY4
and also the sound it made when punching in and out.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/25/16 at 4:02 pm

Thank God we steered away from those 'primitive' resources.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 11/26/16 at 7:11 am

I wouldn't mind going back to using an old fashioned time clock.

Written By: ddebenedictics1 on 12/02/16 at 11:00 am

My family's first compuuter had windows 3.1 on it and it was one of the first color laptops.

Written By: Howard on 12/02/16 at 2:37 pm

My family's first compuuter had windows 3.1 on it and it was one of the first color laptops.

What did it have on it?

Check for new replies or respond here...