inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The B-52s

Written By: Zelek2 on 02/06/16 at 1:12 am

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/92/The_B-52%27s_cover.jpg
Maybe I'm alone here, but this is my favorite band of all-time. I feel like most people give them a hard time for their late 80s/early 90s years - songs like Good Stuff, Love Shack, and the Flintstones movie theme - which, while not bad, might seem a bit overplayed and cheesy. Roam is a fantastic song, though.

The reason I like them is because of their first four albums - S/T, Wild planet, Mesopotamia, and Whammy!. Very interesting, very unique stuff - an amalgamation of twangy surf rock with toy instruments and 60s camp memorabilia.

I listened to these albums so many times in my teen years, that every note, every riff, every lyric is embedded into my head.

What does this board think of this band? I'm interested in knowing Jordan's opinion in particular.

Subject: Re: The B-52s

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/06/16 at 1:18 am

I'm not the biggest New Wave fan (when it comes 70's and 80's music, I like "reel tru Punx") but the B-52's aren't too bad. My memories of them consist of Rock Lobster coming on the radio in the 80's and my mother ranting about how much she hated the song! ;D Love Shack's catchy, though. I like the way Cindy sings in that song. The verses are pre-chorus are pretty great.

Written By: Zelek2 on 02/06/16 at 1:28 am

I don't think is the same as "reel tru Punx", but their first two albums are considered to have a very heavy post-punk influence. Like Devo, they decided to cut down on the "rock" element of their music as they went along, replacing it with synths.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/06/16 at 1:31 am

Yeah, that's definitely true. I think most New Wave bands were generally pretty heavier and guitar-centric in the 70's and got more electronic as they came into the 80's.

Written By: Zelek2 on 02/06/16 at 1:36 am

Slightly unrelated, but have you noticed that when fans of a band talk about them going downhill, they'll usually say:

" didn't really cause their downfall. It was leaning in a pop-oriented direction but it did it well, and maintained enough of the old style for me to like it. , on the other hand, completely destroyed their credibility."

This is basically the music version of decadeology (i.e. cutoffs, transitions). ;D

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/06/16 at 1:47 am

I've noticed that too. Kind of like Green Day's Warning and American Idiot. Warning was a continuation of nimrod's experimental style which empathized on the folksy stuff but it's seen as a good, honest real Green Day album where they just tried doing something different. American Idiot, on the other hand, is seen as Green Day selling themselves out and pandering to the new mid 00's faux-Emo trends (and yes, I do agree with all of this).

Written By: Howard on 02/06/16 at 2:14 pm

Love Shack
Roam
Rock Lobster

Written By: karen on 02/06/16 at 3:27 pm

I like Roam, Love Shack and Rock Lobster, they still get played on the radio quite a lot.

I heard a horrible B-52's song today called Wig.  It was really squeaky and annoying.

Is Planet Claire by them?  Fairly sure it is.  I haven't heard it for years, but recall it as being pretty good.

Written By: nally on 02/06/16 at 3:33 pm

Love Shack
Roam
Rock Lobster

Yeah, those are good songs of theirs.

Private Idaho
Channel Z
Deadbeat Club
...are also ones that I enjoy listening to.

Written By: Zelek2 on 02/23/16 at 2:03 am

So, am I alone in my love for this band?  ???

Written By: Howard on 02/23/16 at 2:23 pm

I like The B-52's, they had some good hits.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/23/16 at 2:39 pm

Love Shack is still a good song.

Written By: nally on 02/23/16 at 6:04 pm

Not at all! There are many people in the world who enjoy 'em, I'm sure.

Written By: ArcticFox on 02/23/16 at 7:01 pm

I feel like most people give them a hard time for their late 80s/early 90s years - songs like Good Stuff, Love Shack, and the Flintstones movie theme - which, while not bad, might seem a bit overplayed and cheesy. Roam is a fantastic song, though.

What? I like those songs!  >:(

Check for new replies or respond here...