inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why did the A-Team run for such a short time?

Written By: 90s Guy on 02/17/16 at 12:02 am

When you compare it's run to that of other 80's standard series such as Dynasty (1981-1989), MacGyver (1985-1992), Miami Vice (1984-1989), Magnum P.I. (1980-1988), Growing Pains (1985-1992), The Cosby Show (1984-1992), Murder, She Wrote (1984-1996), Family Ties (1982-1989), The A-Team's run of just four years - from 1983 to 1987 - is quite short. For such an iconic show, that has become a core part of 80s TV/pop culture history, why did it end so quickly?

Subject: Re: Why did the A-Team run for such a short time?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/17/16 at 12:51 am

From Wiki:

"As the television ratings of The A-Team fell dramatically during the fourth season, the format was changed for the show's final season in 1986–87 in a bid to win back viewers. After years on the run from the authorities, the A-Team is finally apprehended by the military. General Hunt Stockwell, a mysterious CIA operative played by Robert Vaughn, propositions them to work for him, whereupon he will arrange for their pardons upon successful completion of several suicide missions. In order to do so, the A-Team must first escape from their captivity. With the help of a new character, Frankie "Dishpan Man" Santana, Stockwell fakes their deaths before a military firing squad. The new status of the A-Team, no longer working for themselves, remained for the duration of the fifth season while Eddie Velez and Robert Vaughn received star billing along with the principal cast. The missions that the team had to perform in season five were somewhat reminiscent of Mission: Impossible, and based more around political espionage than beating local thugs, also usually taking place in foreign countries, including successfully overthrowing an island dictator, the rescue of a scientist from East Germany, and recovering top secret Star Wars defense information from Soviet hands. These changes proved unsuccessful with viewers, however, and ratings continued to decline. Only 13 episodes aired in the fifth season. In what was supposed to be the final episode, "The Grey Team" (although "Without Reservations" was broadcast on NBC as the last first-run episode in March 1987), Hannibal, after being misled by Stockwell one time too many, tells him that the team will no longer work for him. At the end, the team discusses what they were going to do if they get their pardon, and it is implied that they would continue doing what they were doing as the A-Team. The character of Howling Mad Murdock can be seen in the final scene wearing a T-shirt that says, "fini"."

Written By: Howard on 02/17/16 at 2:24 pm

When you compare it's run to that of other 80's standard series such as Dynasty (1981-1989), MacGyver (1985-1992), Miami Vice (1984-1989), Magnum P.I. (1980-1988), Growing Pains (1985-1992), The Cosby Show (1984-1992), Murder, She Wrote (1984-1996), Family Ties (1982-1989), The A-Team's run of just four years - from 1983 to 1987 - is quite short. For such an iconic show, that has become a core part of 80s TV/pop culture history, why did it end so quickly?

Maybe they were running out of ideas? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/07/21 at 11:18 am

Maybe they were running out of ideas? ???
They ran out of plans that came together.

Written By: Howard on 05/07/21 at 2:17 pm

They ran out of plans that came together.

Declining ratings saw The A-Team come to an end after the fifth season, which found the captured team forced to work for the government; if they carry out a certain amount of missions, they'll be given pardons, It ended in 1987.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/07/21 at 2:21 pm

The 2010 movie of "The A-Team" was a complete disaster.

Film critic Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun-Times said The A-Team is an incomprehensible mess, criticizing the film for being as shallow as the television series, which he describes as "punishment" when drawn out to a two-hour-long film.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/07/21 at 2:27 pm

Because it sucked.

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/07/21 at 2:28 pm

Because it sucked.

Cat

Touche!  ;D

Written By: Howard on 05/07/21 at 2:30 pm

The 2010 movie of "The A-Team" was a complete disaster.

Film critic Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun-Times said The A-Team is an incomprehensible mess, criticizing the film for being as shallow as the television series, which he describes as "punishment" when drawn out to a two-hour-long film.

Who starred in this version?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/07/21 at 2:30 pm

Let's not jibber jabber about this?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/07/21 at 2:32 pm

Who starred in this version?
The A-Team is a 2010 American action thriller film based on the 1980s television series of the same name created by Frank Lupo and Stephen J. Cannell. Directed by Joe Carnahan and written by Carnahan, Brian Bloom, and Skip Woods, the film stars Liam Neeson, Bradley Cooper, Quinton Jackson, Sharlto Copley, Jessica Biel, Patrick Wilson and Yul Vazquez. The film tells the story of a Special Forces team who, imprisoned for a crime they did not commit, escapes and sets out to clear their names. The film was produced by Cannell, Ridley Scott, and Tony Scott.

Written By: whistledog on 05/07/21 at 4:13 pm

I liked the A-Team movie quite much.  It wasn't a bomb, but it wasn't financially successful enough to have a sequel, despite many fans wanting one.  I grew up watching The A-Team and I loved it.  I even had A-Team curtains on my bedroom wall lol

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/07/21 at 6:59 pm

It went downhill after they got rid of the Amy A. Allen character.

Written By: Howard on 05/08/21 at 8:14 am

I liked the A-Team movie quite much.  It wasn't a bomb, but it wasn't financially successful enough to have a sequel, despite many fans wanting one.  I grew up watching The A-Team and I loved it.  I even had A-Team curtains on my bedroom wall lol

The only person I thought was cool was Mr.T.

Check for new replies or respond here...