inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Walt Disney VHS Black Diamond Classics

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/10/16 at 3:26 am

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/760JDRxAIWE/hqdefault.jpg
http://img02.deviantart.net/cb55/i/2014/320/e/6/my_disney_black_diamond_classic_vhs_collection__by_wilee2005-d86nm8b.jpg
''The Walt Disney Classics was a series of VHS releases of Disney animated features that spanned from 1984 to 1994, with its very first release being Robin Hood and the last being The Fox and the Hound, and VCD releases that spanned from 1998 to 2003. Many Disney animated features made their home video debuts through this series. It is often referred to by fans as the "Black Diamond" collection, referring to the shape of the black diamond-shaped "Classics" logo seen on the spine of each video's case and at the beginning of each tape. Although the series initially consisted entirely of older Disney animated features, the success of The Little Mermaid led to more recent films being released as part of the collection.''

For you 80s and early 90s kids, did you guys ever collect these? If so, did you enjoy them?!  :) Cause believe it or not I owned two of them growing up, Fox and the Hound and Aladdin. Did these sets impact you the way the masterpiece editions impacted me? :o

Subject: Re: Walt Disney VHS Black Diamond Classics

Written By: yelimsexa on 05/10/16 at 8:06 am

http://img02.deviantart.net/cb55/i/2014/320/e/6/my_disney_black_diamond_classic_vhs_collection__by_wilee2005-d86nm8b.jpg
''The Walt Disney Classics was a series of VHS releases of Disney animated features that spanned from 1984 to 1994, with its very first release being Robin Hood and the last being The Fox and the Hound, and VCD releases that spanned from 1998 to 2003. Many Disney animated features made their home video debuts through this series. It is often referred to by fans as the "Black Diamond" collection, referring to the shape of the black diamond-shaped "Classics" logo seen on the spine of each video's case and at the beginning of each tape. Although the series initially consisted entirely of older Disney animated features, the success of The Little Mermaid led to more recent films being released as part of the collection.''

For you 80s and early 90s kids, did you guys ever collect these? If so, did you enjoy them?!  :) Cause believe it or not I owned two of them growing up, Fox and the Hound and Aladdin. Did these sets impact you the way the masterpiece editions impacted me? :o

This was my childhood growing up with regards to Disney! My younger siblings were into the Masterpiece Collection releases, and don't forget the original Classics logo with the squiggly white spinning text as it rotates around the screen with a trumpet fanfare playing in the background. Many of these frequently topped the best selling videocassette lists, especially the earlier ones back when most recent films were prohibitively expensive for purchase outside of a rental. The Little Mermaid's release was around the time (1990) that most recent films that had been out for only a year or less became affordable ($19.99-$29.99).

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/10/16 at 10:04 am

I remember seeing the logo around 2007 on YouTube. I was really fascinated with logos as a kid. When I discovered YouTube, I searched up logos that I never seen before that same year. Especially those from the 80s to early-mid 90s. It went up farther during the early-mid 2010s, when Y2K era nostalgia came.

Written By: Howard on 05/10/16 at 2:37 pm

I remember The Walt Disney classics I used to watch growing up.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/10/16 at 8:54 pm

I had the 101 Dalmatians, Rescuers Down Under, Fox & the Hound, and Aladdin ones from the "Black Diamond" set growing up. Unfortunately, the 101 Dalmatians tape is the only one that still plays fairly well after 20+ years of film wear. :(

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/10/16 at 11:30 pm

:D :o
760JDRxAIWE

Written By: Starlighter on 05/12/16 at 5:59 pm

Ooh, this brings back memories.  I watched so many Disney films growing up.  We used to rent a bunch of them.

This was my childhood growing up with regards to Disney! My younger siblings were into the Masterpiece Collection releases, and don't forget the original Classics logo with the squiggly white spinning text as it rotates around the screen with a trumpet fanfare playing in the background. Many of these frequently topped the best selling videocassette lists, especially the earlier ones back when most recent films were prohibitively expensive for purchase outside of a rental. The Little Mermaid's release was around the time (1990) that most recent films that had been out for only a year or less became affordable ($19.99-$29.99).

As soon as I saw this thread I heard that trumpet fanfare in my head. 

Written By: Mish-L on 05/12/16 at 7:14 pm

Nope.  I was never into Disney movies as kid.  I saw a handful of them, but never enjoyed one enough to become attached to it.  Strange but true.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/12/16 at 7:16 pm

Nope.  I was never into Disney movies as kid.  I saw a handful of them, but never enjoyed one enough to become attached to it.  Strange but true.

It's alright. I wasn't into Disney a lot. I was more into the Pixar movies as a kid, since my childhood was in the 2000s.

Check for new replies or respond here...