inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What do you miss about the '80s?

Written By: violet_shy on 07/31/16 at 11:37 am

I miss this decade. Music was beautiful. Fashion was bright, fun. Movies were also great, there were many originals and not many re-makes. I miss my parents being younger and getting me all those awesome playthings. So many people were still here.

I watched this one on MTV so many times as a child!

41P8UxneDJE

Ok, going back to 2016 now!

Subject: Re: What do you miss about the '80s?

Written By: Ripley on 07/31/16 at 11:40 am

Everything! Please don't go back to 2016! Stay in the 90's with me! 😜

Written By: Howard on 07/31/16 at 2:46 pm

I miss this decade. Music was beautiful. Fashion was bright, fun. Movies were also great, there were many originals and not many re-makes. I miss my parents being younger and getting me all those awesome playthings. So many people were still here.

I watched this one on MTV so many times as a child!

41P8UxneDJE

Ok, going back to 2016 now!

I miss the days when people communicated with each other instead of staring down at their phones all the time. ::)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/31/16 at 2:52 pm

I may have lived during the 2000s, but I miss when 80s nostalgia was really good and it didn't have a lot of rabid people speaking against it. *cough* self-proclaimed 90s kids *cough*

Written By: Howard on 08/01/16 at 2:51 pm

Everything! Please don't go back to 2016! Stay in the 90's with me! 😜

Don't you want to be in the 80's?  ???

Written By: Howard on 08/01/16 at 2:53 pm

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/0f/44/f0/0f44f018adb9e60d0a0c74f41950b6e4.jpg

I miss Walkmans.

Written By: violet_shy on 08/01/16 at 7:40 pm

Personal: I miss watching my mom put on her 80s make up! It was a long process. And make up back then had a particular scent.

Pop Cultural: I miss VHS movies!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/01/16 at 8:22 pm

Personal: I miss watching my mom put on her 80s make up! It was a long process. And make up back then had a particular scent.

Weren't VHS movies still around during the 90s and early-mid 2000s?

Written By: violet_shy on 08/01/16 at 9:18 pm

Weren't VHS movies still around during the 90s and early-mid 2000s?

Yes, but I mean VHS movies from the 80s.

Written By: Howard on 08/02/16 at 2:42 pm

I miss VHS movies too now that VCRs are dead.  :(

Written By: Howard on 08/02/16 at 2:43 pm

http://cdn1.goughlui.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/DSC_1864.jpg

http://images.techtimes.com/data/images/full/7310/sony-cassette.jpg

Written By: yelimsexa on 08/03/16 at 8:16 am

Both are still great for hunting down radio/TV airchecks to provide to closest experience to actually being in that late, great decade today! Of course I was basically an "80s toddler" and even though video footage of me exists from 1986, 1987, 1988, and 1989, still gives off that mystifying spirit being the last decade before the global village was born and also nowadays the best mix of having earthiness and superficiality to make things exciting. All of the old TV shows, songs, and magazines are tools that I'd love to use to make total experiences. Who needs social media when you can not just talk face-to-face, but listen to someone's voice on a phone (no "Press 1" robot menus, please) or even write a handwritten letter that shows off your personality, even if un-PC now to the environmentalists?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/03/16 at 11:39 am

I miss VHS movies too now that VCRs are dead.  :(

Well, you could still buy used ones.

Written By: Howard on 08/03/16 at 2:43 pm

Well, you could still buy used ones.

Yeah, that's true but I'll just keep my old collection of VCR tapes just for memory.

Written By: Howard on 08/03/16 at 2:48 pm

face to face conversations instead of staring down at your phone.
https://static.bluejeans.com/website/sites/default/files/uploaded_images/Face%20to%20Face%20Meetings.png

instead of

http://www.carpoolgoddess.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/05-5710-post/kids-on-phones.jpg

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/03/16 at 5:27 pm

Yeah, that's true but I'll just keep my old collection of VCR tapes just for memory.

Same for me, even though most of the VHS tapes that I kept were from my parents.

Written By: Fearsword on 08/04/16 at 3:15 am

Mainly the hair metal and Michael Jackson's peak.

Written By: Howard on 08/04/16 at 2:45 pm

Same for me, even though most of the VHS tapes that I kept were from my parents.

I may transfer them all to DVD someday.

Written By: Starlighter on 10/05/16 at 6:37 pm

I miss so many things from back then.

I miss the old tech stuff: VHS, cassette tapes, walkman's, tube tv's because you can see it from any angle and not have to worry about dead or stuck pixels. 

I miss the atmosphere where, overall, people didn't take themselves too seriously.  Yeah, there were times to be serious, but people tried to have fun when appropriate.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/05/16 at 6:43 pm

I would have missed the 80's slasher flicks the most, like Friday the 13th movie series.

Written By: Elor on 10/06/16 at 8:38 am

I miss the atmosphere where, overall, people didn't take themselves too seriously.  Yeah, there were times to be serious, but people tried to have fun when appropriate.
That's exactly what I'm missing too. The positive outlook and optimism. We've been in constant crisis mode since around 2000 and no end in sight. :-\\ 

Written By: Howard on 10/06/16 at 3:18 pm

I miss so many things from back then.

I miss the old tech stuff: VHS, cassette tapes, walkman's, tube tv's because you can see it from any angle and not have to worry about dead or stuck pixels. 

Nobody lived in this PC world we're living in nowadays.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/06/16 at 3:23 pm

That's exactly what I'm missing too. The positive outlook and optimism. We've been in constant crisis mode since around 2000 and no end in sight. :-\\

You could count basically the 1980's and 1990's as the 'the optimistic era'. 1982/83 to 2001, the energy was so optimistic and bubbly.

Written By: Starlighter on 10/06/16 at 8:29 pm

Nobody lived in this PC world we're living in nowadays.

You could count basically the 1980's and 1990's as the 'the optimistic era'. 1982/83 to 2001, the energy was so optimistic and bubbly.

Things have changed a lot.  Hopefully it'll start to brighten up, but with how things are I think it's unlikely to happen anytime soon. 

Check for new replies or respond here...