inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Fan club newsletters/magazines

Written By: yelimsexa on 08/30/16 at 1:16 pm

In those pre-Internet days, do you know anyone, whether yourself, a friend, or a relative who subscribed and mailed for a fan club newsletter, whether it be a singer, actor, band, or even a franchise like Star Wars or The Muppets? I'm doing this since sometimes such nostalgia makes me yearn for a simpler time with less technology, as I'm currently looking at a bunch of them via eBay, where many are often with just two colors and usually contain an order form. Imagine having to wait for a month or even a quarter just for the latest news if the radio, TV, or newspaper doesn't cover them, especially if they rarely come to your city, it must have been frustrating, but it probably meant that people got more emotional wondering what's next with them, and honestly many stars that most people associate as being "has-beens" continue to have small, but devoted audiences thanks to social media. But in those days, if you faded from the limelight, there went the fan club newsletters and you/it truly became forgotten! Feel free to go back to the '70s or ahead to the '90s before you went online, and discuss!

Subject: Re: Fan club newsletters/magazines

Written By: Starlighter on 08/30/16 at 6:20 pm

Not from the 80's, but I had a friend who subscribed to a fan club for the Baby-Sitter's Club book series in the 90's.  They would mail her free books from the series once in while and perks like school supplies and stationary.  Do they even have formal fan clubs anymore?  I would think now people just follow or friend a celebrity, franchise, artist on social media.

Written By: Ripley on 08/30/16 at 6:32 pm

Not from the 80's, but I had a friend who subscribed to a fan club for the Baby-Sitter's Club book series in the 90's.  They would mail her free books from the series once in while and perks like school supplies and stationary.  Do they even have formal fan clubs anymore?  I would think now people just follow or friend a celebrity, franchise, artist on social media.

The only fan clubs I know of now are the ones where you get free things and meet and greets and stuff but yet you pay a lot to be in them. But even those are rare. But I miss the days when fan clubs and newsletters were a thing. When I looked to magazines and the REAL MTV for my favorite singers' news.

Written By: Howard on 08/31/16 at 2:43 pm

I remember 30 years back then I was infatuated with Michael Jackson and there was this fan club that I joined, I still have the letter somewhere in my box but the letter said thank you for joining my fan club and thank you for thinking of me because I was a huge fan of his and I wanted to tell him in a personal letter to show his gratitude towards him.

Check for new replies or respond here...