inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Pick Band, Singer 2

Written By: Knew Wave on 11/02/16 at 8:24 pm

Cindy Lauper or Madonna?
John Cougar or Bruce Springsteen?
Alabama or The Oak Ridge Boys?
Kool And The Gang or The Pointer Sisters?
Motley Crue or Ratt?
The Cars or The Pretenders?
Simple Minds or U2? (hee)
Depeche Mode or New Order?
Husker Du or The Replacements?
Black Flag or The Dead Kennedys?
Adam Ant or Culture Club? (hee)
The Eurythmics or The Thompson Twins?

Subject: Re: Pick Band, Singer 2

Written By: Baltimoreian on 11/03/16 at 6:31 am

Cindy Lauper
Bruce Springsteen
Alabama
Pointer Sisters
Motley Crue
The Pretenders
U2
Depeche Mode
The Replacements
Dead Kennedys
Culture Club
The Eurythmics

Written By: yelimsexa on 11/03/16 at 7:37 am

Cindy Lauper or Madonna? Madonna
John Cougar or Bruce Springsteen? Bruce Sprinsteen
Alabama or The Oak Ridge Boys? Oak Ridge Boys
Kool And The Gang or The Pointer Sisters? The Pointer Sisters
Motley Crue or Ratt? Ratt
The Cars or The Pretenders? The Cars
Simple Minds or U2? (hee) U2
Depeche Mode or New Order? New Order
Husker Du or The Replacements? (never heard of their work)
Black Flag or The Dead Kennedys? The Dead Kennedys
Adam Ant or Culture Club? (hee) Adam Ant
The Eurythmics or The Thompson Twins? The Eurythmics

My choices in bold.

Written By: Knew Wave on 11/03/16 at 10:52 pm

Cindy Lauper or Madonna?
Motley Crue or Ratt?

Madonna
Bruce Springsteen
Alabama
Kool And The Gang
Motley Crue
The Cars
U2
Depeche Mode
Husker Du
The Dead Kennedys
Adam Ant
The Thompson Twins (tough one)

Written By: violet_shy on 11/04/16 at 5:59 pm

Cindy Lauper or Madonna? -- Madonna(80s)
John Cougar or Bruce Springsteen?--Neither
Alabama or The Oak Ridge Boys?-- Alabama
Kool & The Gang or The Pointer Sisters?-- Kool & The Gang
Motley Crue or Ratt?-- Neither
The Cars or The Pretenders?-- Neither
Simple Minds or U2?-- Both!
Depeche Mode or New Order?-- Both!
Husker Du or The Replacements?-- Neither
Black Flag or The Dead Kennedys?-- Neither
Adam Ant or Culture Club?-- Culture Club
The Eurythmics or The Thompson Twins?-- Thompson twins

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/04/16 at 10:33 pm

Cindy Lauper
Bruce Springsteen
Alabama or The Oak Ridge Boys - cannot say, never heard of them both
Kool And The Gang
Motley Crue or Ratt - neither
The Pretenders
U2
Depeche Mode or New Order - both
Husker Du or The Replacements  - cannot say, never heard of them both
Black Flag or The Dead Kennedys - neither
Culture Club
The Eurythmics or The Thompson Twins - both

Written By: #Infinity on 11/05/16 at 12:10 am

Cyndi Lauper - This one is fairly close, but I really like She's So Unusual and True Colors, while Madonna's first two albums are both good-but-not-great.

Bruce Springsteen - John Mellencamp is great, but you can't beat the Boss, even without Born to Run or Darkness on the Edge of Town factoring in here.

Alabama - Another pair I don't know a whole lot about, seeing how I don't really follow country music.

The Pointer Sisters - The Pointers are far from my favorite black group from the 80s, but Kool & the Gang were really never as interesting in the 80s as they were in the 70s. It's ironic that they were far more commercially successful in the 80s than the 70s despite being a quintessential funk band, but I'd take "Jungle Boogie" and "Hollywood Swinging" anyway over "Joanna," "Get Down On It," or "Big Fun."

Motley Crue - I really only know Ratt for Round and Round, but Motley Crue had friggin' "Kickstart My Heart," on top of other memorable hair metal songs.

The Cars - I love new wave, but the Pretenders are surprisingly bland as far as that genre is concerned. The Cars' best album was their 1978 debut (1979's Candy-O is also great), but they were no slouch during the first half of the 80s, either, with Panorama, Shake It Up, and Heartbeat City all producing some of the most distinct, memorable, and infectious songs the 80s had to offer.

Simple Minds - Maybe U2 is just a bit overexposed to me, but Simple Minds deserve some serious credit, especially considering the strength of songs like "Don't You (Forget About Me)," "Alive and Kicking," and "Belfast Child."

New Order - You know, it's funny, I always confuse these two groups for some reason. However, since Violator did not come out until 1990 and "Bizarre Love Triangle" is from 1986, New Order gets the edge here.

N/A - Gonna have to pass, as I'm just not familiar enough with 80s punk to give a fair judgment here. Sorry.

N/A - See above.

Adam Ant - Ant's songs are hit or miss, but Culture Club is easily one of the most overrated bands of the 80s alongside Duran Duran. I like "Karma Chameleon," but otherwise their hit songs are really amateur.

Eurythmics - I'm currently in love with "Hold Me Now," But the Eurythmics just have a broader catalogue of classics from this decade.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 11/05/16 at 4:32 pm

Cindy Lauper or Madonna?
Motley Crue or Ratt?

Cyndi Lauper
Both because I can't choose
Niether
Alabama
The Cars
Both
Neither nor
The Dead Kennedys
Culture Club
Both

Written By: Knew Wave on 11/05/16 at 8:04 pm

Cyndi Lauper - This one is fairly close, but I really like She's So Unusual and True Colors, while Madonna's first two albums are both good-but-not-great.

Bruce Springsteen - John Mellencamp is great, but you can't beat the Boss, even without Born to Run or Darkness on the Edge of Town factoring in here.

Alabama - Another pair I don't know a whole lot about, seeing how I don't really follow country music.

The Pointer Sisters - The Pointers are far from my favorite black group from the 80s, but Kool & the Gang were really never as interesting in the 80s as they were in the 70s. It's ironic that they were far more commercially successful in the 80s than the 70s despite being a quintessential funk band, but I'd take "Jungle Boogie" and "Hollywood Swinging" anyway over "Joanna," "Get Down On It," or "Big Fun."

Motley Crue - I really only know Ratt for Round and Round, but Motley Crue had friggin' "Kickstart My Heart," on top of other memorable hair metal songs.

The Cars - I love new wave, but the Pretenders are surprisingly bland as far as that genre is concerned. The Cars' best album was their 1978 debut (1979's Candy-O is also great), but they were no slouch during the first half of the 80s, either, with Panorama, Shake It Up, and Heartbeat City all producing some of the most distinct, memorable, and infectious songs the 80s had to offer.

Simple Minds - Maybe U2 is just a bit overexposed to me, but Simple Minds deserve some serious credit, especially considering the strength of songs like "Don't You (Forget About Me)," "Alive and Kicking," and "Belfast Child."

New Order - You know, it's funny, I always confuse these two groups for some reason. However, since Violator did not come out until 1990 and "Bizarre Love Triangle" is from 1986, New Order gets the edge here.

N/A - Gonna have to pass, as I'm just not familiar enough with 80s punk to give a fair judgment here. Sorry.

N/A - See above.

Adam Ant - Ant's songs are hit or miss, but Culture Club is easily one of the most overrated bands of the 80s alongside Duran Duran. I like "Karma Chameleon," but otherwise their hit songs are really amateur.

Eurythmics - I'm currently in love with "Hold Me Now," But the Eurythmics just have a broader catalogue of classics from this decade.

The Cars were like a hybrid of hard rock and new wave. Like Pat, I wish that their first album came out in the '80s because their sound fits the decade. I'm a little quirky. I don't like overlaps from the '70s, which probably seems odd. I mean, their first two albums might be their best ones, although "Heartbeat City" is right up there with them. Maybe it's their second best one after their debut album. YMMV It came out in '84, which is *the* year for great chart-toppers and releases. What a year!

Written By: #Infinity on 11/05/16 at 9:12 pm

I didn't know it was morally wrong to not like Culture Club.  :-X

Written By: 80sfan on 11/05/16 at 9:44 pm

People get fudged all the time. Sure, not everyday. It's always been that way, since this version of the website in 2001. There's no one that's perfect, so everybody gets fudged once in a while, even old timers that used to be here.

Written By: #Infinity on 11/05/16 at 9:48 pm

People get fudged all the time. Sure, not everyday. It's always been that way, since this version of the website in 2001. There's no one that's perfect, so everybody gets fudged once in a while, even old timers that used to be here.

I'm just baffled of and frankly jealous of those who manage to be around for such a long time, yet never get a single fudge. The one I just got stings even worse because it's by a fellow female boarder, and I'm far too used to not getting to talk to other women on any of the online communities I visit.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/05/16 at 9:55 pm

I'm just baffled of and frankly jealous of those who manage to be around for such a long time, yet never get a single fudge. The one I just got stings even worse because it's by a fellow female boarder, and I'm far too used to not getting to talk to other women on any of the online communities I visit.

Really? Those are rare. I believe 80% of people have been fudged, at least once.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/05/16 at 9:58 pm

Whoa, I just noticed. Most board members these days on here are males!  :o

Written By: #Infinity on 11/05/16 at 10:02 pm

Whoa, I just noticed. Most board members these days on here are males!  :o

Pretty much every. Single. Frickin. Board I have ever posted on is dominated by males, with females being a significant minority. Ad a woman, I feel like something's wrong with me, like it should be normal and acceptable for me to be some social media junkie or at least have a bajillion real world friends who share my interests...particularly all the modern trash I find alienating.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/05/16 at 10:09 pm

Pretty much every. Single. Frickin. Board I have ever posted on is dominated by males, with females being a significant minority. Ad a woman, I feel like something's wrong with me, like it should be normal and acceptable for me to be some social media junkie or at least have a bajillion real world friends who share my interests...particularly all the modern trash I find alienating.

I understood the first half of this paragraph, but the second half of the paragraph doesn't compute with me.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/05/16 at 10:26 pm

Oh, I see. Your interests are not the same as the masses. So you feel like you don't fit in, at the boards, or in real life.
The way you worded it was kind of weird, but I get it now.

Written By: #Infinity on 11/05/16 at 10:40 pm

The past few weeks, I literally thought had finally met my first love, putting an end to 12 and a half years of unrelenting misery and isolation, but then she just disappeared out of nowhere, her phone not having worked since the 20th. It's possible she wasn't even real, as genuine and deep as our text conversations felt. I really want to stop feeling so superstitious about my ability to finally find the woman of my dreams, but stupid fate just keeps dashing every ounce of hope I ever have.

You guys should have picked up after all this time that I'm a really sensitive woman with deep, deep insecurities about herself that are hard for her to overcome due to this nightmare of never finding mutual companionship. While I am against the extravagant political correctness of our era, I also feel voices like mine are too often unheard, even by our so-called social justice generation. It's really because of my inner struggle that I'm so sensitive to such trivial things as being fudged for thinking Culture Club is overrated. It's minor, I know, but my first reaction to this type of thing is always melodramatic because I've basically internalized this harshness towards myself because of how under appreciated I feel in real life.

Written By: Knew Wave on 11/06/16 at 7:48 pm

Madonna
Bruce Springsteen
Alabama
Kool And The Gang
Motley Crue
The Cars
U2
Depeche Mode
Husker Du
The Dead Kennedys
Adam Ant
The Thompson Twins (tough one)

I change my first pick to Cindy Lauper. She has a better blend of songs.

Written By: Knew Wave on 11/06/16 at 7:53 pm

Oh, you were talking about fudge. It seemed like that comment came out of nowhere before I read your next post after that one, where you explained what you meant. You can be arrested for disliking them in Canada. It's a violation of hate crime laws and PC speech codes in the UK too.

Written By: Knew Wave on 11/06/16 at 8:08 pm

The past few weeks, I literally thought had finally met my first love, putting an end to 12 and a half years of unrelenting misery and isolation, but then she just disappeared out of nowhere, her phone not having worked since the 20th. It's possible she wasn't even real, as genuine and deep as our text conversations felt. I really want to stop feeling so superstitious about my ability to finally find the woman of my dreams, but stupid fate just keeps dashing every ounce of hope I ever have.

You guys should have picked up after all this time that I'm a really sensitive woman with deep, deep insecurities about herself that are hard for her to overcome due to this nightmare of never finding mutual companionship. While I am against the extravagant political correctness of our era, I also feel voices like mine are too often unheard, even by our so-called social justice generation. It's really because of my inner struggle that I'm so sensitive to such trivial things as being fudged for thinking Culture Club is overrated. It's minor, I know, but my first reaction to this type of thing is always melodramatic because I've basically internalized this harshness towards myself because of how under appreciated I feel in real life.

Your social life sounds like my dating life in my late teens and early twenties. Of course, it wasn't always just fate that was stupid during that time in my life. Don't take this the wrong way, but the fudged Culture Club thing almost sounds like something from "Seinfeld". Elaine: "That girl had the nerve to fudge me over Boy George, Jerry!"

Written By: squidbee on 11/22/16 at 7:12 pm

Madonna?
John Cougar
Alabama
Kool And The Gang
Motley Crue
The Cars
Simple Minds
New Order?
The Replacements?
The Dead Kennedys?
Culture Club? (hee)
The Thompson Twins?

Check for new replies or respond here...