inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What generation do you think the kid shows of the mid & late 80s are part of

Written By: d90 on 11/25/16 at 7:38 pm

In my opinion I think most of the cartoons like Muppet Babies, The Smurfs, Duck Tales, Gi Joe and Alvin and the Chipmunks are  for both Later generation X and early Y.
While the preschool targeted shows like Video Smarts, and Wee Sing are more towards early and core Generation Y than late X. I think Kids Incorporated,and You Can't Do That on Television and the episodes of The Mickey Mouse Club and Double Dare that aired in the late 80s were pretty much late Generation X targeted. 

Subject: Re: What generation Do you consider the kid show of the mid & late 80s to be part of

Written By: 2001 on 11/25/16 at 7:40 pm

How would you even measure something like that?

Subject: Re: What generation Do you consider the kid show of the mid & late 80s to be part of

Written By: d90 on 11/25/16 at 7:44 pm

I measure the kid shows by the dates it aired and what age group would watch it.

Subject: Re: What generation do you think the kid shows of the mid & late 80s are part of

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/25/16 at 7:51 pm

I measure the kid shows by the dates it aired and what age group would watch it.
How about repeated screenings?

Subject: Re: What generation do you think the kid shows of the mid & late 80s are part of

Written By: d90 on 11/25/16 at 7:59 pm

How about repeated screenings?

It depends on how long the repeats continued to air after the last episode first aired and how often the repeats would air.

Written By: #Infinity on 11/25/16 at 9:10 pm

Mostly X, but stuff like TMNT, Beetlejuice, and Garfield and Friends can be considered Y.

Written By: d90 on 11/25/16 at 9:44 pm

Mostly X, but stuff like TMNT, Beetlejuice, and Garfield and Friends can be considered Y.

That's true.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 11/26/16 at 12:28 pm

Yeah, I think it's pretty much impossible to determine with any certainty which generation a kids show "belongs" to, particularly when many of these shows in question here lasted for several years (particularly shows like TMNT and Garfield, which lasted longer in the '90s than they did in the '80s) and were watched by kids born many years apart.

All I can say with conviction about this is that myself and my friends grew up watching later '80s cartoons like Ducktales, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Muppet Babies, Adventures of the Gummi Bears, etc., and do consider those shows to be a part of our "era", if you will. It's really no different than how many late '90s babies grew up watching stuff like Dexter's Laboratory, Hey Arnold, or Cow & Chicken even though they were just babies at the time those shows premiered.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 11/27/16 at 7:56 am

Late X and Early Y, since most of the people who watched mid-late 80s kids shows were born in 1975-1983.

Written By: exodus08 on 11/28/16 at 10:58 am

What about those born between 1989-1991? What shows targeted us?

Written By: yelimsexa on 11/28/16 at 12:32 pm

What about those born between 1989-1991? What shows targeted us?

Pokémon
Hey Arnold
Angry Beavers
Sailor Moon
What a Cartoon-era Cartoon Network
Post-MMPR, pre-Disney Power Rangers
Arthur
Teletubbies

Written By: exodus08 on 11/28/16 at 12:54 pm

Pokémon
Hey Arnold
Angry Beavers
Sailor Moon
Arthur
Teletubbies

Does that include Zeo, Turbo & In Space?

Written By: d90 on 11/28/16 at 1:23 pm

Does that include Zeo, Turbo & In Space?

Yes and it would also include Recess, The Amanda Show, Wishbone and the Puzzle Place.

Written By: d90 on 11/28/16 at 1:32 pm

Pokémon
Hey Arnold
Angry Beavers
Sailor Moon
Arthur
Teletubbies

Many people my age back in the late 90s and early 2000s thought Teletubbies was too babyish. Teletubbies would be targeted towards those born between 1992/1993 and 2001.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 11/28/16 at 4:43 pm

Teletubbies

What kind of kid born in 1989 to 1991 would enjoy Teletubbies? The show was made for toddlers, even when it was started in the late 90s.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 11/30/16 at 1:55 pm

Cartoons that aired from 1978 to 1986: late Generation X cartoons
Cartoons introduced from 1986-1989: Made for an Early Yer audience
Game Shows/Variety Shows that premiered in the '80s: late Generation X shows

Written By: Howard on 11/30/16 at 2:37 pm

that would be me.

Written By: yelimsexa on 12/01/16 at 6:45 am

I'm sure lots of homemakers (even my late WWII-generation grandmother) enjoyed Win, Lose or Draw, Classic Concentration, Card Sharks, Sale of the Century, Scrabble, and even Press Your Luck. Of course, although Muppet Babies was introduced in 1984, many older kids hated it who knew the Muppets from The Muppet Show and IMO is made for an Early Yer audience, and core Yers even could catch in the mid-90s when Nickelodeon reran it. Also, Alvin and the Chipmunks had a broader audience due to the Baby Boomers who watched the Alvin Show in the early '60s and like MB, reran on Nickelodeon in the mid-90s. Then, Garfield & Friends will still liked by the crowd who started to read the comic strip for 10 years when it premiered, especially since it wasn't much different from the TV specials prior to that, though an early Yer like myself liked it too.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 12/02/16 at 8:42 am

Teletubbies would be targeted towards those born between 1992/1993 and 2001.

In some aspects, Teletubbies would have targeted a similar large age demographic as Pingu. Pingu started in 1986, however it would have targeted anyone born between 1983/4 and 2001/02, because it finished in the Early 2000s (if i'm not mistaken). Personally, I watched both Teletubbies and Pingu (which was one of my favourite childhood cartoons, in all honesty) growing up.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/02/16 at 10:41 am

In some aspects, Teletubbies would have targeted a similar large age demographic as Pingu. Pingu started in 1986, however it would have targeted anyone born between 1983/4 and 2001/02, because it finished in the Early 2000s (if i'm not mistaken).

Pingu ended in early 2006. Although, as someone who mostly watched the early 90s shorts, it didn't surprise me that they was the most popular ones.

Personally, I watched both Teletubbies and Pingu (which was one of my favourite childhood cartoons, in all honesty) growing up.

Same with Pingu. I never liked Teletubbies that much after I was about 4, since they were pretty weird to look at. But the music was really calm.

Written By: Zelek3 on 12/08/16 at 3:55 am

Definitely late Gen X

Gen Y was 7 at most in the 80s and I don't think kids' channels were primarily targeting them yet.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 12/28/16 at 7:58 am

I'm sure lots of homemakers (even my late WWII-generation grandmother) enjoyed Win, Lose or Draw, Classic Concentration, Card Sharks, Sale of the Century, Scrabble, and even Press Your Luck. Of course, although Muppet Babies was introduced in 1984, many older kids hated it who knew the Muppets from The Muppet Show and IMO is made for an Early Yer audience, and core Yers even could catch in the mid-90s when Nickelodeon reran it. Also, Alvin and the Chipmunks had a broader audience due to the Baby Boomers who watched the Alvin Show in the early '60s and like MB, reran on Nickelodeon in the mid-90s. Then, Garfield & Friends will still liked by the crowd who started to read the comic strip for 10 years when it premiered, especially since it wasn't much different from the TV specials prior to that, though an early Yer like myself liked it too.

I don't know of any early Yers who are familiar with the earliest episodes of Muppet Babies. The Millennials in family have only seen the '88 to '91 episodes.

Written By: yelimsexa on 12/28/16 at 8:26 pm

I don't know of any early Yers who are familiar with the earliest episodes of Muppet Babies. The Millennials in family have only seen the '88 to '91 episodes.

The 1984-87 episodes though were frequently aired in syndication (often daily) around the time the later seasons were airing (and even just after), along with most of the run on Nickelodeon in the mid-90s like I said. This isn't unlike TMNT where someone who started watching in '91 could have caught the earlier episodes still in syndication and later on the USA Cartoon Express in the mid-90s. Of course, like most cartoons/kid shows of the era, they were mostly episodic; you could watch an episode from 1984 on Friday then one from 1989 on Saturday morning then one from 1985 on Monday and not get lost. Nowadays, episodic kids shows are relegated to the toddler/preschooler category, although there are some exceptions.

Written By: anything on 02/18/17 at 1:11 am

The 1984-87 episodes though were frequently aired in syndication (often daily) around the time the later seasons were airing (and even just after), along with most of the run on Nickelodeon in the mid-90s like I said. This isn't unlike TMNT where someone who started watching in '91 could have caught the earlier episodes still in syndication and later on the USA Cartoon Express in the mid-90s. Of course, like most cartoons/kid shows of the era, they were mostly episodic; you could watch an episode from 1984 on Friday then one from 1989 on Saturday morning then one from 1985 on Monday and not get lost. Nowadays, episodic kids shows are relegated to the toddler/preschooler category, although there are some exceptions.

Muppet Babies was in syndication for two years in 1989-91. Then, its weekday repeats were officially moved to Fox in 1991-92. Finally, it first appeared on Nick in fall 1992.

Written By: nally on 02/18/17 at 2:38 pm

Muppet Babies was in syndication for two years in 1989-91. Then, its weekday repeats were officially moved to Fox in 1991-92. Finally, it first appeared on Nick in fall 1992.

I remember that. :)

Written By: Zelek3 on 02/18/17 at 3:58 pm

Let's stop talking about damn generations. If we keep doing so, x-treme national treasure Jordan is going to leave this board! We can't have that!!!! :-X

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 02/18/17 at 4:31 pm

Let's stop talking about damn generations. If we keep doing so, x-treme national treasure Jordan is going to leave this board! We can't have that!!!! :-X

"Let's end Millennials at (insert year here)!"

If this continues the forum will become a circus.

Written By: Howard on 02/18/17 at 5:17 pm

I remember that. :)

I remember Muppet Babies too.

Written By: nally on 02/18/17 at 5:26 pm

I remember Muppet Babies too.

I often watched the show because each episode seemed to have an interesting premise. :)

Check for new replies or respond here...