inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: VCRs

Written By: Starlighter on 12/18/16 at 1:49 pm

Do you believe that the VCR will one day be sold in stores again like record players are today?   

Subject: Re: VCRs

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/18/16 at 1:50 pm

As much as I love VCRs, I don't know if it would have a revival. Most people who usually buy one now are hobbyists and VHS collectors. I only have about 8 VHS tapes, but I don't have a working VCR to view them.

Written By: 2001 on 12/18/16 at 1:55 pm

I don't know about VHS tapes themselves, but I miss the boxes that VHS tapes came in.  :-\\ They looked (and erm... smelt) much better than DVD boxes.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/18/16 at 1:57 pm

I don't know about VHS tapes themselves, but I miss the boxes that VHS tapes came in.  :-\\ They looked (and erm... smelt) much better than DVD boxes.

Bruh, they smelled the same. They're just different formats. I actually miss using a VHS tape more than seeing a VHS cover, to be quite honest.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/18/16 at 1:57 pm

Also, why the hell is this in the 1980s' subforum? Didn't people use VHS tapes in the 90s and early-mid 2000s as well?

Written By: 2001 on 12/18/16 at 2:00 pm

Bruh, they smelled the same. They're just different formats. I actually miss using a VHS tape more than seeing a VHS cover, to be quite honest.

Naw, there was a specific type of VHS box made of specific material. It was white and soft. I don't know what material it was, but I liked the smell of it and feel of it. VHS boxes were more thicker and often larger than DVD boxes. It felt heavier in the hands.

Written By: Starlighter on 12/18/16 at 2:02 pm

Also, why the hell is this in the 1980s' subforum? Didn't people use VHS tapes in the 90s and early-mid 2000s as well?

Take a breath here, no need to get upset.

Written By: Starlighter on 12/18/16 at 2:05 pm

Naw, there was a specific type of VHS box made of specific material. It was white and soft. I don't know what material it was, but I liked the smell of it and feel of it. VHS boxes were more thicker and often larger than DVD boxes. It felt heavier in the hands.

They did seem thicker.  Smell is a matter of opinion so if you thought that they smelled different, they then did to you.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/18/16 at 2:07 pm

It's quite obvious since VHS tapes are more bulky than DVD covers.

Take a breath here, no need to get upset.

Yeah, but not every VHS tape was produced in the 1980s. Just saying.

Written By: 2001 on 12/18/16 at 2:08 pm

They did seem thicker.  Smell is a matter of opinion so if you thought that they smelled different, they then did to you.

Don't tell me I was the only one who noticed the smell! ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/18/16 at 2:08 pm

Don't tell me I was the only one who noticed the smell! ;D

To be fair, smelling a VHS cover wasn't really my favorite. If you're talking about favorite smells to me, then mine is the new car smell.  8)

Written By: Starlighter on 12/18/16 at 2:13 pm

It's quite obvious since VHS tapes are more bulky than DVD covers.

Yeah, but not every VHS tape was produced in the 1980s. Just saying.

I put this thread here because VCR's were popular in the 80's and I didn't want it to turn into another generational debate like I've seen happen in other sections.  I don't want to talk about who's better or who's right or wrong every single time I come on here.  This was meant to be a simple thread, but it's turning into something else quickly.  When I first started coming on here it was more laid back and fun. 

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/18/16 at 2:23 pm

Look, I'm not going to debate every little thing with you.  You want to discuss, then try to be more civil.  I put this thread here because VCR's were popular in the 80's and I didn't want it to turn into another generational debate like I've seen happen in other sections.

Oh.  :-\\

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/18/16 at 2:27 pm

To not ruin this thread, did anybody here had any recorded tapes? I think I had a few.

Written By: Howard on 12/18/16 at 2:47 pm

I miss the labels that came with them.

Written By: Howard on 12/18/16 at 2:49 pm

To not ruin this thread, did anybody here had any recorded tapes? I think I had a few.

I have a ton of VCR recorded tapes, don't remember the last time used a VCR. ???

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/18/16 at 6:44 pm

I sure hope so! I love VHS!

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 12/18/16 at 7:12 pm

Besides the VHS releases I own, I own about 15-20 recorded tapes. I have converted most of these recordings and uploaded them on a YouTube channel. My Grandparents own about 100 recorded tapes, as well as a lot of VHS releases. They still regularly use VCRs today.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/18/16 at 7:18 pm

Besides the VHS releases I own, I own about 15-20 recorded tapes. I have converted most of these recordings and uploaded them on a YouTube channel. My Grandparents own about 100 recorded tapes, as well as a lot of VHS releases. They still regularly use VCRs today.

That's cool. My parents still had a VCR until I was about 9. I remember my dad didn't like the format anymore, so he just threw it away. Although, there was another VCR in my room that I wanted to test out, but it screwed up the cassette tapes whenever I put them in. I haven't used a VCR ever since.

Written By: yelimsexa on 12/19/16 at 6:54 am

I could definitely see a revival, but only for a small audience. Just over the past couple weeks, I've learned to dub recordings from both a 1984 Betamax machine and a c. 1996 VHS machine onto DVD from a non-tube set without using one of those special converters. At yard sales, online, and a few other places, there are plenty of blank tapes that consist of recordings off of TV, which contain a variety of stuff from commercials, local TV shows, soap operas, sporting events, and other programs that have never been released onto video, although you'll most likely find movies that already have an official release on either cassette, disc, or a digital format. Too bad most people didn't have the forsight to record the truly rare stuff like local Bozo the Clown shows, daytime game shows, many Nickelodeon shows from the '80s, obscure music shows like Dance Party and Radio 1990, and much more! They're basically as obsolete as slide reel projectors that I've talked about.

For the "why is this in the '80s" subforum, don't get upset because VCRs were around by the start of 1978 (poking at you, TENG).

Written By: Howard on 12/19/16 at 2:33 pm

How many tapes have you got?

Written By: Starlighter on 12/19/16 at 8:38 pm

me too

I could definitely see a revival, but only for a small audience. Just over the past couple weeks, I've learned to dub recordings from both a 1984 Betamax machine and a c. 1996 VHS machine onto DVD from a non-tube set without using one of those special converters.

Is the dubbing process complicated?

At yard sales, online, and a few other places, there are plenty of blank tapes that consist of recordings off of TV, which contain a variety of stuff from commercials, local TV shows, soap operas, sporting events, and other programs that have never been released onto video, although you'll most likely find movies that already have an official release on either cassette, disc, or a digital format. Too bad most people didn't have the forsight to record the truly rare stuff like local Bozo the Clown shows, daytime game shows, many Nickelodeon shows from the '80s, obscure music shows like Dance Party and Radio 1990, and much more! They're basically as obsolete as slide reel projectors that I've talked about.

For the "why is this in the '80s" subforum, don't get upset because VCRs were around by the start of 1978 (poking at you, TENG).

It would have been nice if people taped the rare stuff.

Written By: Howard on 12/20/16 at 2:43 pm

me too

Is the dubbing process complicated?

It would have been nice if people taped the rare stuff.

I've taped a lot of rare stuff but now they're just stored away for a future time.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/21/18 at 1:11 pm

There seems to be a new interest in 80's technology.  Someone will eventually combine blue ray and VHS.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/21/18 at 1:25 pm

There seems to be a new interest in 80's technology.  Someone will eventually combine blue ray and VHS.
I can still see the tapes clogging up the machine.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/21/18 at 9:12 pm

I can still see the tapes clogging up the machine.

;D

Written By: Dude111 on 05/21/18 at 10:17 pm

Arent VCRs 70s technology?? -- AH MAN!!

Written By: Howard on 05/22/18 at 7:17 am

How will they do that? ???

Written By: Elor on 05/22/18 at 8:04 am

How will they do that? ???
By putting a VCR player and a Blue Ray player in one case. ;)
There are some of those available already.

Written By: Howard on 05/22/18 at 3:05 pm

There are some of those available already.

Our Family don't even use our VCR anymore but maybe for just in case we want to watch some memories from the past.

Written By: Dude111 on 09/03/22 at 9:07 pm

I had one of those (VCR/DVD) and it was aweful.. VCR playback had a hiss in it and just sounded like garbage.. (I dont like DVDs anyway so I got rid of it)

Written By: 90skid93 on 10/25/22 at 9:46 pm

Yeah, VHS died after the early 2000s and even by then they were already on the way out in the USA. The last VHS tapes were made around 2006/2007 around the time DVD was at its peak and Blu-ray was just coming out. What's interesting is that other countries like South Korea continued to release movies on VHS well into the 2010s.

Written By: nally on 10/25/22 at 9:57 pm

Yes they did. I think the starter put it here because VCRs were popular (and widely produced) mainly in the 1980s. They were sold at electronics stores; offered as prizes on game shows; etc..

In fact, my household got our first VCR in 1987. It was such a novel idea to have one.

Written By: Howard on 10/26/22 at 7:06 am

I remember owing a VCR back in the days and it took forever to get to some area you missed in a film or a show you probably wanted to watch.

Written By: Dude111 on 10/27/22 at 1:11 am

I love VCRs,looks just like im watching over analogue cable/tv :)

Check for new replies or respond here...