inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Every 80's #1 Hit on the Billboard 100 (1980-1989)

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/04/17 at 11:06 am

We have a thread for the 00's so why not the 80's?

pmoJlxjI03I

What I've noticed is that '80 and '81 are still very 70's-lite. More stripped down, cheesy slow boomer rock. Not too many synths or other 80's trappings yet. It's not until Late '81 and throughout '82 that we see music become more and more 80's (at least going by this chart and this chart alone) but it's still fairly transitional. By 1983, things are more explosive and in your face; the 70's were a distant memory. The 80's stayed pretty strong up through 1989 in my opinion.

Of course, these are only the #1 hits on one chart (The Billboard 100) so not everything is represented here and you'd have to look a little deep to really get a feel for all the musical changes but it's still cool to see.

Subject: Re: Every 80's #1 Hit on the Billboard 100 (1980-1989)

Written By: yelimsexa on 01/05/17 at 7:31 am

Also, notice that there are no country crossovers after 1983 as the genre went neotraditionalist, and for the rest of the Top 40, the shift is much more dramatic. A good way to look at the entirety of the Top 40 is to listen to the various American Top 40 shows on YouTube (you can do the same for the '70s, '90s, and early 2000s). That gives you a much better feel about the evolution of pop. But that shift during the summer of 1982 was certainly due to MTV (to me once the Human League's "Don't You Want Me" hit #1 is when the real hardcore "80s sound" really was here to stay, especially when it succeeded a duet by a couple of '60s stars. Basically, almost every song from then up until sometime in 1986 is a real classic and is commonly still found on classic hits stations today. The sound of course sounds more rhythmic as opposed to melodic as we head into late '80s, although in away the hair metal ballads aren't much different than the arena rock ballads. Of course, you have those teenybopper artists and Milli Vanilli, as well as a more polished adult contemporary sound as well which makes the late '80s the most dated part of the decade, much like how the late '70s is for that decade with disco's peak and the late '90s/very early 2000s is with teen pop/Nu Soul.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/05/17 at 4:20 pm

Wow, you could see that there was still 70's influence from 1980 to 1982. Although, by 1982, you could feel a certain sound, and a certain look, was building itself, up. And by 1983, the 1980's was fully on.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/07/17 at 1:11 pm

The Billboard Hot 100 definitely makes the change into the 80's sound territory seem a lot slower and less dramatic than the Top 40. Second half of 1982 on the top 40 is a lot different than the first.

Written By: Paul on 01/09/17 at 3:51 pm

We in Britain had some classics and some downright oddities - I still wince at a few!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bph9J3u4L7M

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/09/17 at 6:14 pm

Those hits are pretty wild! :D :o

Written By: #Infinity on 01/10/17 at 2:45 am

For reference, here are parts 2 and 3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxyFg3pISKA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRtDs37XMQA

I love how the 80s were already pretty much underway in the UK from the beginning ("Brass in Pocket" is solidly early 80s), yet 1989 was an overwhelmingly 90s year for music in that country. Stuff like "Back to Life" and "All Around the World" would've sounded current as late as 1995, possibly 1996; Soul II Soul even had another hit in 1995 that's in pretty much the same vein as "Back to Life."

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/10/17 at 2:56 am

For reference, here are parts 2 and 3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxyFg3pISKA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRtDs37XMQA

I love how the 80s were already pretty much underway in the UK from the beginning ("Brass in Pocket" is solidly early 80s), yet 1989 was an overwhelmingly 90s year for music in that country. Stuff like "Back to Life" and "All Around the World" would've sounded current as late as 1995, possibly 1996; Soul II Soul even had another hit in 1995 that's in pretty much the same vein as "Back to Life."

I looked up the video for Brass in Pocket and with all those mullets I never would of guessed it was from '80! :o :o :o

Written By: yelimsexa on 01/10/17 at 7:21 am

I looked up the video for Brass in Pocket and with all those mullets I never would of guessed it was from '80! :o :o :o

The b-side was about the game Space Invaders, and unfortunately the early '80s was very conservative in the US, medleys about songs/bands from the past, country music, remakes of oldies, and lots of slow ballads dominated the charts, mostly due to the burnout over disco and the MTV revolution still years away, especially if your block didn't have a TV with cable. Although a few videos had been around earlier for airing at movie theaters and even during the disco era, Britain started to take the music video as an art form more seriously a few years before America did, and thus the surplus of UK acts during the earliest years of MTV programming.

Now if you compare the run of '90s US and '90s UK #1's, you'll find the differences a lot more stark (more R&B/hip hop/late decade teen pop in the former, more dance/Britpop in the later). The same can be said with the 2000s even, which unfortunately started to cheapen the reputation for US acts.

Written By: Paul on 01/10/17 at 9:27 am

I love how the 80s were already pretty much underway in the UK from the beginning ("Brass in Pocket" is solidly early 80s)

Well, to be pedantic, it was recorded and released in late 1979 and it could have comfortably fitted into that year. The first year of that decade was a bizarre one, with our chart filled up with the most juxtaposed load of genres you could imagine - the ska/mod revival, new-wave, the last gasps of disco, the new-wave of British heavy metal and yes...even Kenny Rogers sobbing his way to the top!  :P
(And although it didn't quite get to the summit, Sugarhill Gang's 'Rapper's Delight' also spilled over from 1979...)

Written By: #Infinity on 01/10/17 at 10:58 am

Well, to be pedantic, it was recorded and released in late 1979 and it could have comfortably fitted into that year. The first year of that decade was a bizarre one, with our chart filled up with the most juxtaposed load of genres you could imagine - the ska/mod revival, new-wave, the last gasps of disco, the new-wave of British heavy metal and yes...even Kenny Rogers sobbing his way to the top!  :P

I'm pretty familiar with the popular music in Britain at the time because I've bought and listened to songs I've compiled in my own Now albums that represent years not covered by the main series, and frankly, 1979 was a seriously transitional year in the UK for music. The album I have representing autumn 1979 is full of new wave, synthpop, punk-ska, and other things that were huge in the early 1980s. Real disco, though still dominant in early 1979, was only a modest presence by late 1979 and was already largely being taken over by post-disco. The change in music is fitting, considering Thatcher became your new PM in the middle of the year.

That in mind, the Pretenders' "Brass in Pocket" fits in easily with the other ska/new wave kind of songs that became popular during the second half of 1979, but it's pretty far ahead of what was popular during most of the late 70s, when pre-new wave punk bands like the Sex Pistols and Boomtown Rats were in their prime.

(And although it didn't quite get to the summit, Sugarhill Gang's 'Rapper's Delight' also spilled over from 1979...)

Yeah, the UK pretty much embraced hip hop from the very beginning, unlike the United States, which took until late 1986 to see the genre appear at the top of the charts in ways other than through Blondie. Stuff like "The Message," "White Lines (Don't Don't Do It)," "Step Off," and "The Show" were all massive hits when they came out in Britain, despite barely leaving a dent in the American charts.

Written By: Paul on 01/10/17 at 2:16 pm

Yeah, the UK pretty much embraced hip hop from the very beginning, unlike the United States, which took until late 1986 to see the genre appear at the top of the charts in ways other than through Blondie. Stuff like "The Message," "White Lines (Don't Don't Do It)," "Step Off," and "The Show" were all massive hits when they came out in Britain, despite barely leaving a dent in the American charts.

In fairness, British charts back in those days (I don't know about now!) was always based on what was physically selling, as opposed to the US model, which always had a fair amount of airplay factor involved. So anything more or less stood a chance of being hitbound if it caught the public's imagination and wallets in some way, regardless of whether it got played on the radio (back then, we only had one national 'pop' station anyway!) Most left-field rap music was helped along by the growing nightclub scene and a whole host of local 'pirate' stations.
Sadly, it still doesn't quite explain why we went a bit crazy over Kenny Rogers! I blame Thatcher...

Written By: #Infinity on 01/10/17 at 3:34 pm

In fairness, British charts back in those days (I don't know about now!) was always based on what was physically selling, as opposed to the US model, which always had a fair amount of airplay factor involved. So anything more or less stood a chance of being hitbound if it caught the public's imagination and wallets in some way, regardless of whether it got played on the radio (back then, we only had one national 'pop' station anyway!) Most left-field rap music was helped along by the growing nightclub scene and a whole host of local 'pirate' stations.
Sadly, it still doesn't quite explain why we went a bit crazy over Kenny Rogers! I blame Thatcher...

He already had other hits before "Coward," including the #1 song "Lucille" in 1977, plus "Ruby, Don't Take Your Love to Town" in 1969 with The First Edition. In fact, a lot of American country music charted well in the UK prior to Thatcher, from "The Streak," to "Rhinestone Cowboy," to "Convoy," to "No Charge," and so on!

Written By: Paul on 01/10/17 at 4:46 pm

He already had other hits before "Coward," including the #1 song "Lucille" in 1977, plus "Ruby, Don't Take Your Love to Town" in 1969 with The First Edition. In fact, a lot of American country music charted well in the UK prior to Thatcher, from "The Streak," to "Rhinestone Cowboy," to "Convoy," to "No Charge," and so on!

The ending to my last post was meant as a poke to the late-PM!

Country music in Britain had a fair underground following dating right back to the 40s, but it's moment in the sun here came during the mid-70s, (even tho' Tammy Wynette's two big hits dated from the previous decade). Don't get me wrong, Kenny's had some marvellous successes in his long career, but why the mauldlin 'Coward' clicked here is anyone's guess! Incredibly, the song was even stretched out into a film, which he appeared in! Academy Award nominations unsurprisingly didn't come!

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 01/26/17 at 5:34 am

Thanks for sharing the link to that video, JordanK1982. :) It was pretty interesting to watch/listen to.

It's clear that 1980 and 1981 were still heavily influenced by the 70s. The music videos alone suggest that 80s culture/fashion hadn't been fully established yet. It's interesting to see how 80s culture/music developed around the world. Based off the video in the original post and the British #1 hits video, it's apparent that there was a change in Late 1981/1982 in the US and 80s music/culture was already well established early in the decade in the UK. Interestingly enough, 1983 was still transitional here in Australia. Take a listen to this #1 Australian single from Late 1983; "Reckless" by Australian Crawl. To put it into perspective, "Let's Dance" by David Bowie and "1999" by Prince had already been released prior to "Reckless"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIrUqsB-0vw

This next one peaked at #2 on the ARIA Charts in 1984. In my opinion, it looks/sounds like something from 1981/82, not 1984.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu1GLEh3wO4

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/26/17 at 1:59 pm

Thanks for sharing the link to that video, JordanK1982. :) It was pretty interesting to watch/listen to.

It's clear that 1980 and 1981 were still heavily influenced by the 70s. The music videos alone suggest that 80s culture/fashion hadn't been fully established yet. It's interesting to see how 80s culture/music developed around the world. Based off the video in the original post and the British #1 hits video, it's apparent that there was a change in Late 1981/1982 in the US and 80s music/culture was already well established early in the decade in the UK. Interestingly enough, 1983 was still transitional here in Australia. Take a listen to this #1 Australian single from Late 1983; "Reckless" by Australian Crawl. To put it into perspective, "Let's Dance" by David Bowie and "1999" by Prince had already been released prior to "Reckless"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIrUqsB-0vw

This next one peaked at #2 on the ARIA Charts in 1984. In my opinion, it looks/sounds like something from 1981/82, not 1984.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu1GLEh3wO4

No problem! ;)

It's neat  seeing how things differ country to country. Even looking at America itself though the decades and comparing the different states and cities is wild. When I used to go on road trips I would see how some fashions and music that were cool around my area were seen as totally lame made you a laughing stock in other places. It was crazy to see how different things could be.

The songs definitely have more of subdued early 80's style than the extravagant mid/late 80's. Same for the fashion and video style! By late 1983 we already had singers like Cyndi Lauper and Madonna taking MTV by storm; stuff like that is like a completely different time!

Written By: whistledog on 02/02/17 at 2:32 pm

Here in Canada, we were somewhat on par with the US #1 hits, but some we got the US did not and some of them were quite unusual.  Here are three ...

Rock Lobster - The B-52's (1979)
This version is from 1979 and was a hit in many countries that same year.  It made #37 in the UK and #56 in the US, but in May of 1980, it topped the Canadian chart for 1 week

ofkzvM7Skxg

------------------------

The Friends of Mr. Cairo - Jon and Vangelis (1981)
This British/Greek collaboration was #1 in Canada for 5 weeks at the end of 1981, but missed the US and UK chart completely

nd3_AN0txgE

------------------------

Doctor and the Medics - Spirit in the Sky (1986)
Like the 1970 Norman Greenbaum original, this was #1 in both the UK and Canada, unfortunately, it only reached #69 in the US (whereas the original reached US #3)

iTlv6OL0tc4

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 02/02/17 at 10:20 pm

Rock Lobster - The B-52's (1979)

Rock Lobster was pretty unique for it's time. It was actually the first hit The B52s had, and it would become one of their most successful singles. The song actually inspired John Lennon to start recording music again. If it wasn't for Rock Lobster, then it's quite possible that Double Fantasy would never have been released.

I'm actually working on creating an "Every #1 Hits of the 80s in Australia" video. I tried searching for one on YouTube a week or two ago, but it turns out that no one has made a "Every #1 80's Hits" of the Australian charts yet. So far, I have compiled all of the #1 hits from 1980 and 1981. I still need to work on compiling all of the #1 singles from 1982-1989. You will recognise most of the #1 singles, as the Australian charts have always been very similar to the US charts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9PlBiTG_d4

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 02/03/17 at 6:58 pm

Here are a few thoughts:

* Generally speaking, there must have been some nostalgia for the 60s in the Early 1980s. "Stars on 45 Medley" (what kind of song is that :P ) is a mash-up of songs which charted in the 60s. Heck, even "Start Me Up" was in the #1 spot in Australia for one week, even though it was released sixteen years prior.

*Disco still had a significant prominence on the charts in 1980, especially in Australia. In the US, Disco had largely disappeared from the charts by Late 1980.

*Two completely different songs, both named "9 to 5", reached #1 in the US and Australia at different stages in 1981.

*1980 was a strange year for music in Australia. You had 80s influenced British songs, such as "Turning Japanese" by The Vapors, complete novelty songs (e.g "Shaddup Your Face") and US disco songs, such as "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough", all reach the #1 spot.

I would be interested to read other people's viewpoints, in regards to the US and UK number 1 hits, as well as the #1 hits in the video I shared above.

Written By: Howard on 02/04/17 at 6:56 am

Here are a few thoughts:

* Generally speaking, there must have been some nostalgia for the 60s in the Early 1980s. "Stars on 45 Medley" (what kind of song is that :P ) is a mash-up of songs which charted in the 60s. Heck, even "Start Me Up" was in the #1 spot in Australia for one week, even though it was released sixteen years prior.

*Disco still had a significant prominence on the charts in 1980, especially in Australia. In the US, Disco had largely disappeared from the charts by Late 1980.

*Two completely different songs, both named "9 to 5", reached #1 in the US and Australia at different stages in 1981.

*1980 was a strange year for music in Australia. You had 80s influenced British songs, such as "Turning Japanese" by The Vapors, complete novelty songs (e.g "Shaddup Your Face") and US disco songs, such as "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough", all reach the #1 spot.

I would be interested to read other people's viewpoints, in regards to the US and UK number 1 hits, as well as the #1 hits in the video I shared above.

When did old school rap came into play? ???

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 02/04/17 at 7:10 pm

As in, when did it start entering the Top-40 charts? I would probably say around 1988-1989, although i'm only estimating, to be honest.

Written By: annimal on 02/04/17 at 8:22 pm

From the sample I agree that the 80's were 70's for a while.  The first guitar song I saw was in 84.  85 seems to have the guitar and drums. 

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/04/17 at 9:44 pm

You mean stuff like Run DMC or the earlier Sugarhill/Grandmaster Flash stuff?

If you mean post-1983 Run DMC rap than the earliest I can think of was Whodini's Friends (#87 on the Billboard Hot 100) and Newcleus' Jam On It (#56 on the same chart). Albums like Run DMC's debut hit #53, and Whodini's Escape reached #35 both on the Billboard 200. It wasn't really until Walk This Way in '86 and Fight For Your Right in '87 that rap truly exploded, though. Even then, I'd say rap wasn't really a truly dominant cultural force until the early 90's.

Not real street Hip Hop or anything but New Edition's Cool It Now (which is total Boy-Band-New-Kids-On-The-Block-Pop-Rap) was a huge hit in 1984/1985 reaching #4 on the Billboard Hot 100. Hell, you could take it even further and call it proto-New Jack Swing (and not just because Bobby Brown was a member, either :P). Such heartthrobs, I know. ::)

From the sample I agree that the 80's were 70's for a while.  The first guitar song I saw was in 84.  85 seems to have the guitar and drums. 

I'd say the 70's were pretty much over by 1983.

Written By: Howard on 02/05/17 at 2:39 pm

As in, when did it start entering the Top-40 charts? I would probably say around 1988-1989, although i'm only estimating, to be honest.

Wasn't it between 1980-1985?

Written By: Howard on 02/05/17 at 2:43 pm

You mean stuff like Run DMC or the earlier Sugarhill/Grandmaster Flash stuff?

If you mean post-1983 Run DMC rap than the earliest I can think of was Whodini's Friends (#87 on the Billboard Hot 100) and Newcleus' Jam On It (#56 on the same chart). Albums like Run DMC's debut hit #53, and Whodini's Escape reached #35 both on the Billboard 200. It wasn't really until Walk This Way in '86 and Fight For Your Right in '87 that rap truly exploded, though. Even then, I'd say rap wasn't really a truly dominant cultural force until the early 90's.

Not real street Hip Hop or anything but New Edition's Cool It Now (which is total Boy-Band-New-Kids-On-The-Block-Pop-Rap) was a huge hit in 1984/1985 reaching #4 on the Billboard Hot 100. Hell, you could take it even further and call it proto-New Jack Swing (and not just because Bobby Brown was a member, either :P). Such heartthrobs, I know. ::)

I'd say the 70's were pretty much over by 1983.

You also have artists you probably never heard of with people such as Sweet G, Funky 4 +1 and The Cold Crush Brothers who dominated between 1980-1985. 

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/05/17 at 9:01 pm

You also have artists you probably never heard of with people such as Sweet G, Funky 4 +1 and The Cold Crush Brothers who dominated between 1980-1985.

I've heard of those guys. :P They were moderately popular but I wouldn't say they were close to dominating even 1980-1983, let alone 1984 and 1985 which was a totally different era of hip hop (an era where those groups went way out of style since Run DMC and Fat Boys took over).

Written By: 80sfan on 02/06/17 at 10:35 am

And the hits keep on coming.  :P  :(  :(

Written By: Howard on 02/06/17 at 2:41 pm

I've heard of those guys. :P They were moderately popular but I wouldn't say they were close to dominating even 1980-1983, let alone 1984 and 1985 which was a totally different era of hip hop (an era where those groups went way out of style since Run DMC and Fat Boys took over).

between 1980-1985 what was your favorite year for Hip Hop?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 02/06/17 at 2:51 pm

And the hits keep on coming.  :P  :(  :(

What do you mean?

Written By: 80sfan on 02/06/17 at 7:10 pm

What do you mean?

:(

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/16/17 at 2:09 pm

between 1980-1985 what was your favorite year for Hip Hop?

Tie between 1984 and 1985.

Still, 1980-1983 and 1984 and '85 are two very, very different eras of hip hop.

Written By: Howard on 02/16/17 at 3:37 pm

Tie between 1984 and 1985.

Still, 1980-1983 and 1984 and '85 are two very, very different eras of hip hop.

Do you agree that lyrics in Hip Hop back then used to be fun?

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/17/17 at 11:30 pm

Do you agree that lyrics in Hip Hop back then used to be fun?

Of course! Rap was a lot more fun during the Run DMC/Beastie Boys era. It all died in 1997.

Written By: Howard on 02/18/17 at 6:48 am

Of course! Rap was a lot more fun during the Run DMC/Beastie Boys era. It all died in 1997.

I think it started between 1980-1983 when lyrics were about having fun, going to parties and enjoying life.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/19/17 at 10:24 pm

I think it started between 1980-1983 when lyrics were about having fun, going to parties and enjoying life.

Yeah, those songs were a lot of fun!

Written By: Howard on 02/20/17 at 2:29 pm

Yeah, those songs were a lot of fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ce1xiGfvQg
ever heard of this song?  ???

Check for new replies or respond here...