inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Wallace and Ladmo

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 02/11/17 at 12:21 pm

Anyone who lived in Arizona from 1954-1989 would remember this children's show.

Wallace and Ladmo was a special show that showed cartoons, had special guests and had contests where children and adults alike could win the "Holy Grail" of children's prizes: the Ladmo Bag. Ladmo Bags were filled with all sorts of snack goodies, toys and tickets from movie theatres, theme parks and local merchants.

The show centered around two central characters: Wallace Snead (played by Bill Thompson) and the Childlike Ladmo (played by Ladimir Kwiatkowski). The duo had to deal with a bevy of others, particularly Gerald- a spoiled brat whose uncle Richard supposedly owned KPHO, the TV station where the show aired. Gerald was always trying to get W&L booted off the air.

Other characters featured on the show included:
-Mr. Grudgmeyer, the park bench hogger
-Jodi of the Pink Berets
-Boffo, the only clown who hates kids
-Aunt Maude, the grandmotherly storyteller
-Bobby Joe Trouble, biker extraordinaire
-Marshall Good, the worst out-of-work cowboy

Though both Wallace and Ladmo have passed away, the show has been carefully preserved by the show's official fan club. You can find clips of the show on YouTube.

Subject: Re: Wallace and Ladmo

Written By: Midas on 02/11/17 at 12:25 pm

Moved to Phoenix in 1977, watched it nearly every day before school up until the end. Such a great piece of history and my childhood. I never got a Ladmo Bag, and I'm okay with that.  ;D

I hear Pat McMahon quite a bit on soundbytes on KTAR-FM in the morning on the way to work.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 02/11/17 at 12:35 pm

I lived in Arizona from 1980-81, first in Sierra Vista, then in Phoenix. Wallace and Ladmo became a part of my everyday life. I got to see a live show they did at a mall not far from my house. Never won a Ladmo Bag.

I am part of the Fan Club's Facebook page, and there are updates on an almost daily basis.

Any favorite skits?

Written By: Midas on 02/11/17 at 12:39 pm

I liked most of Pat's characters, especially Marshall Good, The Wizard (is there a special name?) and Captain Super. :D

Dan Horn used to be on quite a bit in the mid-late 80s. He came to my elementary school a few times to perform his ventriloquism.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 02/11/17 at 12:45 pm

The Wizard was just that. I loved his puns; my daughter and I have running gags about him and Mr. Grudgmeyer. I also found Capt. Super funny.

I loved Dan Horn's bits with Orson.  He's a FB friend of mine.

Check for new replies or respond here...