inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hair Metal: The Worst Music Genre, ever?

Written By: 90s Guy on 03/10/17 at 10:08 pm

Seriously....
How did Hair Metal ever attract more than trailer trash and junkies? It's such trashy music. Was there ever a worse musical genre or fad?

Subject: Re: Hair Metal: The Worst Music Genre, ever?

Written By: #Infinity on 03/10/17 at 10:41 pm

Hair metal was melodic, energized, and passionate. It may have been mostly cheesy, but it definitely thrived off an irresistible spirit.

Snap rap from 2005 to 2008 is a thousand times more terrible.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 03/10/17 at 11:54 pm

People have different tastes. I really dislike EDM and rap, but there are plenty of people out there who will have the opposite opinion. As for hair metal, i'm not particularly a fan of it, although I don't believe it is the "worst music genre ever". As the saying goes, one person's trash is another person's treasure.

Written By: robby76 on 03/11/17 at 5:50 am

Like with any genre, there was good and bad. 80s hair metal was okay... Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Europe, Whitesnake.

Early 90s hair / glam metal wasn't bad either... Alias, Bad English, Firehouse, Mr Big, Nelson.

It was a good crossover for metal bands to go commercial.

VZ5bS3_BCDs

Written By: Howard on 03/11/17 at 7:04 am

Seriously....
How did Hair Metal ever attract more than trailer trash and junkies? It's such trashy music. Was there ever a worse musical genre or fad?

I happen to enjoy listening to hair metal bands back in the 80's.

Written By: 90s Guy on 03/11/17 at 1:11 pm

I happen to enjoy listening to hair metal bands back in the 80's.

Hair Metal is forever associated with this scene for me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND1_Sc17SGE

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/11/17 at 2:18 pm

I'm more of a thrash metal person, but most hair metal songs at the time sound really 80s.

Hair metal was melodic, energized, and passionate. It may have been mostly cheesy, but it definitely thrived off an irresistible spirit.

Eh... I don't think you should compare that with any 80s genre. It's one of the weakest genres during the 2000s.

Written By: musicguy93 on 03/11/17 at 8:51 pm

No way. Indie folk/hipster pop, trap rap, and modern EDM, are far, FAR worse than hair metal. At least hair metal was pretty catchy. Mainstream music of the 2010s is just bland and nauseating.

Written By: musicguy93 on 03/11/17 at 8:55 pm

Like with any genre, there was good and bad. 80s hair metal was okay... Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Europe, Whitesnake.

Early 90s hair / glam metal wasn't bad either... Alias, Bad English, Firehouse, Mr Big, Nelson.

It was a good crossover for metal bands to go commercial.

VZ5bS3_BCDs

THIS! Hair metal bands, good or bad, were far better than all the wimpy indie-hipster/folk-pop bands we get nowadays.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 03/11/17 at 8:55 pm

I freaking love hair metal.

You never listened to polka? Now THAT'S the worst genre!  :o

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 03/11/17 at 9:18 pm

If I repeatedly hear one song over and over again, like Every Rose Has Its Thorn by Poison, I quite literally want to vomit! 
Give me a flipping break.

I geuss that's why every rose has its thorn
just like every night has its dawn
just like every cowboy sings a sad sad song
every rose has its thorn!

8-P 8-P 8-P

Written By: 80sfan on 03/11/17 at 9:21 pm

I'm more of a thrash metal person, but most hair metal songs at the time sound really 80s.

Eh... I don't think you should compare that with any 80s genre. It's one of the weakest genres during the 2000s.

The 00's was one of the weakest era for mainstream talent ever. The 1980's eats the 00's mainstream music decade for lunch!

Written By: Zelek3 on 03/12/17 at 1:24 am

You take that back, snap rap was LIT. I have fond memories of doing elementary/middle school dances to those songs.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/12/17 at 9:26 am

You take that back, snap rap was LIT. I have fond memories of doing elementary/middle school dances to those songs.

Soulja Boy ftw!!  8)

Written By: Howard on 03/12/17 at 3:05 pm

Hair Metal is forever associated with this scene for me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND1_Sc17SGE

Written By: Howard on 03/12/17 at 3:07 pm

polka is for old folks.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 03/12/17 at 4:11 pm

polka is for old folks.

And Steve Urkel. Don't forget Steve!

http://90s411.com/images/steve-urkel-costume-6.jpg

Written By: JordanK1982 on 03/13/17 at 3:07 am

Glam Metal isn't as bad as Nu Metal! Heavy Metal in general, while a really good genre, has a bad reputation for attracting a lot of trailer trash. I have no idea why but it happens but you could even find the worst kind of hicks at a Metallica concert in 1991.

The only thing that irks me is when it's called "classic rock". Sure, the genre is over 30 years old but even today it still sounds way too modern for me to put it in the same umbrella as 60's/70's rock such as Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones or Deep Purple.

Written By: Howard on 03/13/17 at 6:12 am

And Steve Urkel. Don't forget Steve!

http://90s411.com/images/steve-urkel-costume-6.jpg

and Weird Al Yankovic. ;)

Written By: yelimsexa on 03/13/17 at 8:58 pm

Glam Metal isn't as bad as Nu Metal! Heavy Metal in general, while a really good genre, has a bad reputation for attracting a lot of trailer trash. I have no idea why but it happens but you could even find the worst kind of hicks at a Metallica concert in 1991.

The only thing that irks me is when it's called "classic rock". Sure, the genre is over 30 years old but even today it still sounds way too modern for me to put it in the same umbrella as 60's/70's rock such as Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones or Deep Purple.

The same way that "oldies" means late '70s-'90s music instead of 50's-early '70s. That said, in terms of Hair Metal, I find that the earlier bands (Quiet Riot, Ratt, Twisted Sister, pre-Slippery when wet Bon Jovi) are far superior to the later ones (Winger, Warrant, Skid Row, Bad English, Damn Yankees) due to much more of a passion their lyrics and energy.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 03/13/17 at 9:47 pm

The same way that "oldies" means late '70s-'90s music instead of 50's-early '70s. That said, in terms of Hair Metal, I find that the earlier bands (Quiet Riot, Ratt, Twisted Sister, pre-Slippery when wet Bon Jovi) are far superior to the later ones (Winger, Warrant, Skid Row, Bad English, Damn Yankees) due to much more of a passion their lyrics and energy.

I think it was all horrible.  The power balads were horrible.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 03/14/17 at 2:58 am

I never really considered Quiet Riot and Twisted Sister glam metal. Both of them sound more like standard rock n roll than anything. I think certain bands like Def Leppard and Motley Crue, during their entire mainstream peaks, were probably the best bands of the genre. Other stuff like Ratt or any time period of Bon Jovi sound just as awful and cheesy to me as the stuff played by Winger or Warrant.

Written By: Howard on 03/14/17 at 8:28 am

Which ones do you hate?

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 03/14/17 at 3:10 pm

Which ones do you hate?

I absolutely hate Every Rose Has Its Thorn by Poison.  I hated that song when I first heard it and I hate it now.  8-P  8-P

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 03/19/17 at 1:47 pm

Here's some melodic, energized, and passionate hair metal. The intro is cheesy as it gets. Mötley Crüe, Home Sweet Home

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WAZ60xA9wo&t=207s

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 03/19/17 at 1:51 pm

More melodic, energized, and passionate hair metal. Cinderella, Don't Know What You Got (Till It's Gone)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i28UEoLXVFQ

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 03/19/17 at 2:10 pm

This song by Bad English is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu6pclWsxzs

The girl on the left at 3:20 in the video looks like a girl I'd have seen hanging outside a Blockbuster Video in 1989, surrounded by neon lights. Damn have times changed. Look at that perm. Wow, what a difference!

Written By: squidbee on 04/13/17 at 11:04 am

I wouldn't categorize it as the worst music genre ever. Every generation has a style of music that is often derided. The 60's and 70's had bubblegum pop, the 80's had hair metal, and so on. I agree there was definitely a ton of cheese involved with hair metal, but that can be said about any musical genre.  I say keep an open mind, listen to all styles of music, and don't put others down for their taste in music.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/13/17 at 9:00 pm

Trap is the worst genre of music ever.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/13/17 at 9:03 pm

Trap is the worst genre of music ever.

Everyone's playing that Krusty Krab trap remix in my school and it is very painful for my ears.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/14/17 at 1:30 am

Ah, but you have to experience polka in its proper context. You see, as a native born Midwesterner with German-Catholic parents who grew up in North Dakota in the 1950's, I heard quite a bit of polka throughout my life and could never understand why on God's green earth anyone would like such square and corny music.

Not until I experienced it in its proper context about 10 years ago. Growing up, all the polka bands I saw were septuagenarians who were either on parade floats or at wedding receptions, just oompa-oompaing away, and I just couldn't get the appeal of it. Then, about 10 years ago I went to a Czech festival in a small town in Nebraska. I walked into one of the bars and heard loud polka music and saw a crowd of locals in their 20's and 30's dancing on the floor and behind them there was a huge tuba enthusiastically bobbing and swaying and I knew that there was no way the guy playing it could be completely sober. (When I saw the band they were a bunch of guys right around my age and they were just as...enthusiastic as the tuba player was.)  A light bulb went off in my head and I made a beeline to the bar, quickly chugged down two beers, got into the spirit of things and had the time of my life.

What the old folks don't tell you (even though the titles of the songs--Beer Barrel Polka, In Heaven There Is No Beer, etc should clue you in) is that even though its square and corny, polka is, and was always intended to be, happy fun beer drinking music; and just the other week I told my parents that they were probably having more fun up in North Dakota in the '50s then they would ever let on.

I absolutely hate Every Rose Has Its Thorn by Poison.  I hated that song when I first heard it and I hate it now.  8-P  8-P

IMO Unskinny Bop is even worse. WTF is that supposed to mean anyway???  ::)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/16/17 at 5:48 pm

Extra cheesy - but my one 'guilty pleasure'  :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuKDBPw8wQA

Overalll, I'm not a big hair metal fan, save for a few exceptions...

Written By: Howard on 04/20/17 at 5:58 am

What was wrong with hair metal? ???

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/20/17 at 7:10 am

Power ballads were awesome.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/20/17 at 8:07 am

Glam metal >>> popular music today

Written By: musicguy93 on 04/20/17 at 10:13 am

Extra cheesy - but my one 'guilty pleasure'  :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuKDBPw8wQA

Overalll, I'm not a big hair metal fan, save for a few exceptions...

I'm not sure Van Halen would count as hair metal. Especially not the David Lee Roth era. And they're definitely not cheesy. If anything is cheesy, it's all the modern indie pop and hipster folk bands that are popular in the 2010s.

Written By: 90s Guy on 04/20/17 at 1:10 pm

What was wrong with hair metal? ???

It was trashy, banal and more based on image than actual music/talent.

Written By: Howard on 04/21/17 at 3:42 pm

It was trashy, banal and more based on image than actual music/talent.

Then you haven't lived in that era of hair metal.  ::)

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/21/17 at 10:51 pm

I'm not sure Van Halen would count as hair metal. Especially not the David Lee Roth era. And they're definitely not cheesy. If anything is cheesy, it's all the modern indie pop and hipster folk bands that are popular in the 2010s.

Van Halen's 1984 album is total hair metal all the way. David Lee Roth's solo stuff even more so. He took a Beach Boys song and made it all glammy and crap. 8-P

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/21/17 at 11:28 pm

Welp, I guess I'm guilty of liking hair metal then. "Jump" and "Panama" are some of my favorite songs.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/22/17 at 12:58 am

Welp, I guess I'm guilty of liking hair metal then. "Jump" and "Panama" are some of my favorite songs.

I've always liked this one off of 1984:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VegvworoMX4

Say what you will about hair metal, but IMO this is the absolute worst musical genre:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3lCc5CpMWc

Written By: Howard on 04/22/17 at 5:16 am

Van Halen's 1984 album is total hair metal all the way. David Lee Roth's solo stuff even more so. He took a Beach Boys song and made it all glammy and crap. 8-P

Wasn't that "California Girls"? http://videoclosetblog.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/screen-shot-2014-09-06-at-3-03-49-pm.png

Written By: Howard on 04/22/17 at 5:17 am

I like "Hot For Teacher".

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/27/17 at 9:58 am

Hair Metal wasn't that bad to me in it's early days. Bands like Twisted Sister and 1984-era Van Halen are all quite listenable in my book. Even late '80s Hair Metal in the form of groups like Poison and Skid Row isn't that bad, though it's certainly far from good.

To me, Hair Metal hit rock bottom in the early '90s, just before Smells Like Teen Spirit came along and wiped it out. That stuff if terrible. Especially the bands with lead singers trying to sound like Axl Rose. 8-P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-nyeiKk35M http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukmobha2krY

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/27/17 at 4:51 pm

Hair Metal wasn't that bad to me in it's early days. Bands like Twisted Sister and 1984-era Van Halen are all quite listenable in my book. Even late '80s Hair Metal in the form of groups like Poison and Skid Row isn't that bad, though it's certainly far from good.

To me, Hair Metal hit rock bottom in the early '90s, just before Smells Like Teen Spirit came along and wiped it out. That stuff if terrible. Especially the bands with lead singers trying to sound like Axl Rose. 8-P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-nyeiKk35M http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukmobha2krY

Even as late as 1993, there were still some hair metal songs, but the amount was very negligible by then. But by 1994 the genre was more than six feet under.

I would say that hair metal hit rock bottom in late 1989-1991 (when the genre jumped the shark).

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/27/17 at 4:53 pm

I've never been a fan of Hair Metal. Aside from 2-3 songs, the genre is meh to me.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/27/17 at 4:57 pm

I've never been a fan of Hair Metal. Aside from 2-3 songs, the genre is meh to me.

I like hair metal, but not the later ones.

The only "later wave" hair metal songs that I like were "Just Take my Heart" by Mr. Big (1991) and "High Enough" by the Damn Yankees (1990).

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/27/17 at 5:01 pm

I like hair metal, but not the later ones.

The only "later wave" hair metal songs that I like were "Just Take my Heart" by Mr. Big (1991) and "High Enough" by the Damn Yankees (1990).

It's a meh from me.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/27/17 at 7:42 pm

I thought that Up All Night by Slaughter was an OK song.

However, there was this hair metal band called Firehouse that came out around 1990-91 with a lead singer who had the most annoying, nasal, warbling voice I've ever heard.

Really I think it was this band more than any (except for Poison) that made me happy that Nirvana and the other Seattle bands came along and helped flush hair metal down the crapper.

Written By: Howard on 04/28/17 at 4:58 am

So what caused the end of The Hair Metal era? ???

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/29/17 at 10:06 am

I thought that Up All Night by Slaughter was an OK song.

However, there was this hair metal band called Firehouse that came out around 1990-91 with a lead singer who had the most annoying, nasal, warbling voice I've ever heard.

Really I think it was this band more than any (except for Poison) that made me happy that Nirvana and the other Seattle bands came along and helped flush hair metal down the crapper.

Oh, lord yes! Firehouse was absolutely terrible. 8-P I remember watching this video on YouTube years ago and wondering how anybody could've liked this garbage back in the early '90s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ETENrv8cnU

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/29/17 at 12:40 pm

I think Ratt, Autograph, Winger, Warrant and Whitesnake are some of the worst bands ever. I've always hated them. 8-P

Def Leppard and Motley Crue are alright in my books, though. They had good pop songwriting chops. Songs like Photograph, Pour Some Sugar on Me, Armageddon It, Home Sweet Home, Dr. Feelgood and Kickstart My Heart are all really good radio pop-metal songs.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/29/17 at 1:01 pm

Oh, lord yes! Firehouse was absolutely terrible. 8-P I remember watching this video on YouTube years ago and wondering how anybody could've liked this garbage back in the early '90s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ETENrv8cnU

I am NOT clicking on that.  8-P

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/29/17 at 1:08 pm

I think Ratt, Autograph, Winger, Warrant and Whitesnake are some of the worst bands ever. I've always hated them. 8-P

So the band Kansas (who I've recently rediscovered and have a massive stiffy for right now) is going to be playing here in Omaha in a couple of weeks and I'm thinking about going but Winger, of all bands, is going to be the opening act so I'm like, eh...

Anyway, about 5 years ago I took some keyboard lessons when I was living in Kansas City and although I didn't stay with it I've kept in touch with my piano teacher on Facebook. He's a really cool guy and a very talented musician who moved to Nashville and does session work as well as tour with bands as a backup musician. A couple days ago he posted that he's seen Winger live and he says that they're a vastly underrated and unfairly maligned (thanks, more than anything, to Beavis and Butthead) band, so I'm thinking about burning a sick day and seeing them and Kansas.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/29/17 at 1:55 pm

Def Leppard and Motley Crue are alright in my books, though. They had good pop songwriting chops. Songs like Photograph, Pour Some Sugar on Me, Armageddon It, Home Sweet Home, Dr. Feelgood and Kickstart My Heart are all really good radio pop-metal songs.

Photograph by Def Leppard is a legit kickass song. As cheesy as Hair Metal might be, I will always stop what I'm doing to listen to that song no matter what. 8)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/29/17 at 2:02 pm

Photograph by Def Leppard is a legit kickass song. As cheesy as Hair Metal might be, I will always stop what I'm doing to listen to that song no matter what. 8)

I've never been a huge Def Leppard fan, but I can appreciate their brilliance in combining hard rock with catchy pop hooks. (My older brother absolutely despises Def Leppard, and we've gotten into heated debates about them.)

I could take or leave most of their stuff, but I always crank this one up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jTGVx2ATLI

Like I said, catchy pop hooks.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/29/17 at 2:12 pm

I've never been a huge Def Leppard fan, but I can appreciate their brilliance in combining hard rock with catchy pop hooks. (My older brother absolutely despises Def Leppard, and we've gotten into heated debates about them.)

I could take or leave most of their stuff, but I always crank this one up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jTGVx2ATLI

Like I said, catchy pop hooks.

Yeah, Def Leppard is one of the best examples of what people mean when they say that something is "disposable" pop music. It's not something you would really ever go out of your way to listen to, but it's still good enough to jam out to if it comes on the radio.

That's how I feel about most arena rock acts from the '70s and '80s, like Boston, and even early REO Speedwagon. I would never buy any of their albums, but I wouldn't necessarily change the station if they came on either.

Written By: Howard on 04/29/17 at 5:12 pm

But didn't you grow up with them? ???

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/30/17 at 8:36 am

You guys are forgetting how sick some of Motley Crue's stuff is, too. They had the best music videos too!

But really, this song is great!

1XHcPYorSJw

But didn't you grow up with them? ???

Yeah, but I still hate them. 8-P Bon Jovi, too. They're the worst!

Written By: Howard on 04/30/17 at 1:44 pm

You guys are forgetting how sick some of Motley Crue's stuff is, too. They had the best music videos too!

But really, this song is great!

1XHcPYorSJw

Yeah, but I still hate them. 8-P Bon Jovi, too. They're the worst!

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/wcyy.com/files/2013/11/Poison-girls.jpg
How about the group Poison? ???

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/30/17 at 5:00 pm

I hated Poison back then and I still do.  :P

Written By: Howard on 05/01/17 at 4:57 am

I hated Poison back then and I still do.  :P

What do you hate about them? Is it the makeup? ???

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/01/17 at 12:15 pm

What do you hate about them? Is it the makeup? ???

I've just always thought that they were stupid and cheesy.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/01/17 at 9:45 pm

Awful! Look at that album cover, what the hell's that supposed to be anyway? Why are they all making kissy faces!? 8-P 8-P

Same here! Poison is terrible.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/01/17 at 10:00 pm

Awful! Look at that album cover, what the hell's that supposed to be anyway? Why are they all making kissy faces!? 8-P 8-P

Poison invented duckface way back in 1987.  ::)

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/01/17 at 10:03 pm

Poison invented duckface way back in 1987.  ::)

That's what I was thinking, too. Man, they would of been a hit had MySpace been around. ;D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/01/17 at 10:18 pm

That's what I was thinking, too. Man, they would of been a hit had MySpace been around. ;D

Beavis and Butthead absolutely destroyed Poison (and other 80s hair metal bands) in the mid 90s. And I loved every minute of it.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/01/17 at 10:22 pm

She's my.....

http://az323229.vo.msecnd.net/recipe-media/2635272a-61b1-4bdd-8ed9-3126d238d465_Landscape.jpg

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/01/17 at 10:54 pm

Beavis and Butthead absolutely destroyed Poison (and other 80s hair metal bands) in the mid 90s. And I loved every minute of it.

Beavis and Butthead was my favorite show back in the 90's. Still is! 8)

Those music video segments were always hilarious! Sometimes they just dug up the weirdest obscure sh!t from the 80's and 90's.

She's my.....

http://az323229.vo.msecnd.net/recipe-media/2635272a-61b1-4bdd-8ed9-3126d238d465_Landscape.jpg

That song always sounded like Loverboy's Lovin' Every Minute to me

Written By: 80sfan on 05/01/17 at 11:11 pm

Beavis and Butthead was my favorite show back in the 90's. Still is! 8)

Those music video segments were always hilarious! Sometimes they just dug up the weirdest obscure sh!t from the 80's and 90's.

That song always sounded like Loverboy's Lovin' Every Minute to me

I don't have dirty thoughts with the song, it just makes me hungry!         
Like I want to buy fries after I hear the song!  ;D  ;D  ;D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/02/17 at 3:28 am

She's my.....

Tastes so good, make a grown man cry...

Written By: Howard on 05/02/17 at 4:33 pm

Well that was the reason for being in a hair metal group.

Written By: Howard on 05/02/17 at 4:37 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjyZKfdwlng

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/02/17 at 5:45 pm

I don't have dirty thoughts with the song, it just makes me hungry!         
Like I want to buy fries after I hear the song!  ;D  ;D  ;D

Warrant makes me sick. 8-P

Written By: Howard on 05/03/17 at 6:31 am

You don't like the video?

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/03/17 at 6:03 pm

You don't like the video?

Not one bit!

Written By: Howard on 05/04/17 at 5:02 am

Not one bit!

How about Bobbie Brown? ???

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/04/17 at 1:17 pm

How about Bobbie Brown? ???

He's not hair metal.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/04/17 at 8:45 pm

Yeah, Howard. Bobby Brown is new jack swing.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/05/17 at 1:29 am

Try some Steel Panther.

yfB7vF7nCdA

It's a 2000-2010s parody band that nailed the style so well they now open up for actual hair metal bands like Crue, Leppard, and Guns N' Roses.  The joke was that Steel Panther sang the things that the lower-tier (in terms of album sales, ratings, and respect from metalheads like Poison, Warrant, etc.) bands wanted to sing, but couldn't, because you couldn't use naughty words on radio and get airplay. 

For people who grew up in the internet era, imagine if YouTube had to pay a $50,000 fine every time you watched a video that had a naughty word in it.  That's what radio was like.  As late as 1996, major retailers like Wal-Mart would only sell censored music which made certain genres commercially unviable. 

As much as I - as an old fogie - enjoyed the cheezy metal of the 80s, metal chickened out.  (And that's just one of the jokes in the song; it was the gangsta rap of Dr. Dre that ultimately broke the language barrier.  One of the unintentional jokes is that the words that would have TRIGGERED the censors of the 1980s are entirely different than the ones that would have TRIGGERED the censors of the 2010s.  If any modern listeners are feeling triggered, rest assured everybody in this video knew about Rob Halford and was totally cool with it.  The point of Steel Panther was to make fun of the lyrical and cultural tropes of metal while playing the underlying instrumental music as faithfully as possible.)

Written By: Howard on 05/05/17 at 5:14 am

He's not hair metal.

Not he,she.
This is Bobbie Brown who used to be married to Jani Lane.
http://nightflight.com/wp-content/uploads/BOBBIE-BROWN-10.jpg

Written By: Howard on 05/05/17 at 5:15 am

Yeah, Howard. Bobby Brown is new jack swing.

I'm referring to the model Bobbie Brown, she's the woman in the video.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/05/17 at 7:07 pm

Try some Steel Panther.

yfB7vF7nCdA

It's a 2000-2010s parody band that nailed the style so well they now open up for actual hair metal bands like Crue, Leppard, and Guns N' Roses.  The joke was that Steel Panther sang the things that the lower-tier (in terms of album sales, ratings, and respect from metalheads like Poison, Warrant, etc.) bands wanted to sing, but couldn't, because you couldn't use naughty words on radio and get airplay. 

For people who grew up in the internet era, imagine if YouTube had to pay a $50,000 fine every time you watched a video that had a naughty word in it.  That's what radio was like.  As late as 1996, major retailers like Wal-Mart would only sell censored music which made certain genres commercially unviable. 

As much as I - as an old fogie - enjoyed the cheezy metal of the 80s, metal chickened out.  (And that's just one of the jokes in the song; it was the gangsta rap of Dr. Dre that ultimately broke the language barrier.  One of the unintentional jokes is that the words that would have TRIGGERED the censors of the 1980s are entirely different than the ones that would have TRIGGERED the censors of the 2010s.  If any modern listeners are feeling triggered, rest assured everybody in this video knew about Rob Halford and was totally cool with it.  The point of Steel Panther was to make fun of the lyrical and cultural tropes of metal while playing the underlying instrumental music as faithfully as possible.)

I've heard of Steel Panther but never listened to them. This rules!! 8)

Not he,she.
This is Bobbie Brown who used to be married to Jani Lane.
http://nightflight.com/wp-content/uploads/BOBBIE-BROWN-10.jpg

Eh. She's ok, I guess There are better looking hair metal chicks, though.

Written By: Howard on 05/06/17 at 4:48 am

I've heard of Steel Panther but never listened to them. This rules!! 8)

Eh. She's ok, I guess There are better looking hair metal chicks, though.

maybe there should be a thread on Hair Metal Chicks?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/06/17 at 3:38 pm

Wal-Mart was the worst. Remember when they censored Nirvana's In Utero album and turned "Rape Me" into "Waif Me"? 8-P

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/06/17 at 11:53 pm

Where does Jackyl fit into all of this? They broke out in 1992 and they seemed like a bit of an anomaly during the whole hair metal/grunge shift. They certainly weren't grunge, but they also weren't really hair metal either. They were more like a throwback 70's hard rock band with an irreverant sense of humor to boot.

(I saw Jackyl at a free concert celebrating the grand opening of a Harley-Davidson dealership in Kansas City in 2010 or 2011 and it was easily one of the most fun shows I've ever been to.)

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/07/17 at 2:06 am

maybe there should be a thread on Hair Metal Chicks?

If you really feel the need too make one go ahead. :P

Where does Jackyl fit into all of this? They broke out in 1992 and they seemed like a bit of an anomaly during the whole hair metal/grunge shift. They certainly weren't grunge, but they also weren't really hair metal either. They were more like a throwback 70's hard rock band with an irreverant sense of humor to boot.

(I saw Jackyl at a free concert celebrating the grand opening of a Harley-Davidson dealership in Kansas City in 2010 or 2011 and it was easily one of the most fun shows I've ever been to.)

They strike me more along the lines of the whole 70's-revival rock thing that happened in the 90's. I don't think certain grunge bands like Pearl Jam were really too far off from that "70's bar-rock" thing, either.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/07/17 at 2:08 am

Oops! I got the band/artist wrong!  :D  :D

Written By: Howard on 05/07/17 at 6:49 am

If you really feel the need too make one go ahead. :P

They strike me more along the lines of the whole 70's-revival rock thing that happened in the 90's. I don't think certain grunge bands like Pearl Jam were really too far off from that "70's bar-rock" thing, either.

I will look into it, just don't want to make the thread too risque.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/07/17 at 11:21 pm

I will look into it, just don't want to make the thread too risque.

It's ok, Howard. I trust you. ;)

Written By: Howard on 05/08/17 at 5:09 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQOmDUnt8Hs
Vixen- Edge Of A Broken Heart

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/08/17 at 10:06 am

Uh, no thanks... 8-P

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/08/17 at 12:09 pm

While talking about all of these other terrible bands, I don't think we should lose sight of the role that the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles played in killing Hair Metal either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgHnwRUnT_4

And to think, I had this on VHS back in the early '90s. :-[

Written By: Howard on 05/08/17 at 4:55 pm

Uh, no thanks... 8-P

Oh c'mon Jordan, you can't say that hot women strumming guitars and singing rock is not your cup of tea?  ???

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/09/17 at 4:03 pm

Oh c'mon Jordan, you can't say that hot women strumming guitars and singing rock is not your cup of tea?  ???

Ehh, you could easily say that about 80's Heart, too, but I easily prefer their old 70's stuff like Little Queen. Much better than the later glam direction they took with their '85 self-titled. 8-P

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/09/17 at 4:07 pm

Good 80's Metal:

l10nXUFlhsYQSk9gpgCY8g

Bad 80's Metal:

DCpaJofwpn8lDK9QqIzhwk

Written By: Howard on 05/10/17 at 3:11 pm

Ehh, you could easily say that about 80's Heart, too, but I easily prefer their old 70's stuff like Little Queen. Much better than the later glam direction they took with their '85 self-titled. 8-P

http://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/7a/62/e9/7a62e9f6de9b20a570d62fece74f6b86.jpg

Is this what you're referring to? ???

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/11/17 at 12:32 am

Good 80's Metal:

l10nXUFlhsYQSk9gpgCY8g

Bad 80's Metal:

DCpaJofwpn8lDK9QqIzhwk

I agree with most of this, except I liked Lay It Down. I always thought it had a cool guitar riff.  8)

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/11/17 at 9:10 am

http://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/7a/62/e9/7a62e9f6de9b20a570d62fece74f6b86.jpg

Is this what you're referring to? ???

Yeah... 8-P

I agree with most of this, except I liked Lay It Down. I always thought it had a cool guitar riff.  8)

Close enough. Anyone who likes Slayer and Megadeth has to have good taste. 8)

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 05/11/17 at 10:10 pm

Is this hair metal? I never thought of it as hair metal, but just look at that hair, and the clothing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41P8UxneDJE&index=26&list=PLA4B6A74F924024B8

Heart, These Dreams

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/12/17 at 7:01 am

Is this hair metal? I never thought of it as hair metal, but just look at that hair, and the clothing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41P8UxneDJE&index=26&list=PLA4B6A74F924024B8

Heart, These Dreams

Total glam, dude. Their '85 self-titled, Bad Animals and Brigade are complete hair atrocities. ;D

Written By: Howard on 05/12/17 at 7:47 am

Total glam, dude. Their '85 self-titled, Bad Animals and Brigade are complete hair atrocities. ;D

Well, they did wear a lot of hairspray, that's what made it an atrocity.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/12/17 at 8:30 am

Well, they did wear a lot of hairspray, that's what made it an atrocity.

The 80's killed the environment. ::)

Written By: Howard on 05/12/17 at 1:42 pm

No they didn't.

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 05/12/17 at 3:34 pm

I remember hearing about hairspray aerosols causing the ozone hole back in the 80s.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 06/09/17 at 11:25 am

I would be interested to hear your opinions on this. Would you personally consider this song to be hair metal? I was going through my Top 40 compilation videos that I have made and I happened to spot this in one of the compilations. It was released in 1994 and it peaked within the Top-10 of the ARIA charts at the time. Is it possible that this could be one of the last hair metal singles to achieve mainstream success of any kind?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt7pfTnaPR4

Written By: JordanK1982 on 06/09/17 at 11:27 am

Sounds pretty glam to me.

Check for new replies or respond here...