inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is there a difference between Mid 80s babies and late 80s babies?

Written By: Setemstraight on 03/23/17 at 4:11 am

For those who hate threads like this ;D but I like the conversation

Subject: Re: Is there a difference between Mid 80s babies and late 80s babies?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/23/17 at 5:48 am

Mid 80s babies are mostly early-mid 90s kids, while late 80s babies were mid-late 90s kids.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/23/17 at 12:46 pm

I don't think there's a huge difference, no. I used to feel there was back when I was a kid, though. Like, when I was in 2nd grade and 1984 babies where in 5th, or even when I was a freshman in high school and they were seniors, they seemed so much older than me.

Today, now that they're 33 and I'm almost 30, it feels like we mostly grew up with the same experiences. Sure, they can remember the early '90s better than me, but when I talk with my friends born in 1984 or 1985 about our childhoods it's always about TMNT, Power Rangers, 8-bit/16-bit video gaming, '90s Nickelodeon, Pogs, not having internet, and so forth. My experience is that, the older your get, the father in age you need to be apart from somebody before it feels like a big gap. Hell, I even have some things in common with early '80s babies like the Angry Video Game Nerd, as we both grew up playing the NES.

Written By: yelimsexa on 03/23/17 at 2:32 pm

The largest differences are likely between childhood/adolescent trends. Now that all are well into adulthood, the trends of the past decade or so are equally important (unimportant since most don't like the current movie or mainstream movie scene). I'd say the last time there was quite a difference was back around the mid-00s when the former were in college and the later in high school, with the former quicker to adapt to the high-tech stuff at the time from PDAs to Razr phones to laptops while being disinterested in the then-current Top 40 scene (I myself am an '85er and HATED the Snap/Ringtone Rap and Emo trends of the time unlike some of the late '80s born, seeing their style as too juvenile compared to the Y2K-era pop that mid-80s born folks like me enjoyed more). However, both could enjoy more Adult artists like Bruno Mars or even Lady Gaga for those who are a bit more "hip", much like how a few "hip" later Boomers got into Madonna/Cyndi Lauper in the '80s, even if its somewhat of a minority.

Mid-80s born identify themselves with pre-Spongebob Nickelodeon, Saturday Morning cartoons pre-E/I mandate, Checkerboard-era Cartoon Network, pay-era Disney Channel, 1996-2003 pop music, broadband internet not arriving to late in high school or college, the 3rd-5th eras of gaming, more career oriented as adults, and having a rather stable career since the last big recession came right around or just after they graduated college. They like the original Disney Afternoon lineup, enjoy Walt-era Disney movies as much as Renaissance-era movies (VHS sales of Walt-era Disney movies were huge in the late '80s/early '90s), and see cartoons as 2D.

Written By: Zelek3 on 03/23/17 at 2:47 pm

Today, now that they're 33 and I'm almost 30, it feels like we mostly grew up with the same experiences. Sure, they can remember the early '90s better than me, but when I talk with my friends born in 1984 or 1985 about our childhoods it's always about TMNT, Power Rangers, 8-bit/16-bit video gaming, '90s Nickelodeon, Pogs, not having internet, and so forth. My experience is that, the older your get, the father in age you need to be apart from somebody before it feels like a big gap. Hell, I even have some things in common with early '80s babies like the Angry Video Game Nerd, as we both grew up playing the NES.

Well, machine, you're really close to being a mid 80s baby yourself, so it's no wonder you would relate to them well. I think OP was perhaps talking moreso about people born in 88-89.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/23/17 at 3:05 pm

Well, machine, you're really close to being a mid 80s baby yourself, so it's no wonder you would relate to them well. I think OP was perhaps talking moreso about people born in 88-89.

That's a fair point. I have several friends born in 1988 and they have the same outlook I do on childhood/adolescence, but there probably would be a slight difference with 1989, especially late '89ers who didn't start school until 1995.

Written By: Zelek3 on 03/23/17 at 3:11 pm

That's a fair point. I have several friends born in 1988 and they have the same outlook I do on childhood/adolescence,

They might not remember 1990-1993 quite as well as you do and those were the last "texturally 80s" years. Having a bit of 80s in your upbringing makes all the difference. ;D

Written By: Setemstraight on 03/23/17 at 3:41 pm

Mid 80s babies are mostly early-mid 90s kids, while late 80s babies were mid-late 90s kids.

That's a generalization that's sort of inaccurate. Those born in 1984 turned 13 in 97 so I would say they're not much a late 90s kid. An 85er turned 12 in 97 so that makes them a bit of a late 90s kid. Same goes for an 86er as they turned 12 in 98. Actually late 80s babies, especially thoes born in 89 actually can be early 00s kids.

Written By: Zelek3 on 03/23/17 at 3:43 pm

I'd say age 12 isn't totally childhood, it's more like a weird halfway point between childhood and teenhood.

Written By: Setemstraight on 03/23/17 at 4:00 pm

I'd say age 12 isn't totally childhood, it's more like a weird halfway point between childhood and teenhood.

It's the last year of childhood. The strangest years between 11 and 14. You lean more towards teen pop culture but as the same time you still like the "kid culture". There were alot 12, 13, and 14 years old Pokemon fans in 1999.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 03/23/17 at 4:07 pm

The largest differences are likely between childhood/adolescent trends. Now that all are well into adulthood, the trends of the past decade or so are equally important (unimportant since most don't like the current movie or mainstream movie scene). I'd say the last time there was quite a difference was back around the mid-00s when the former were in college and the later in high school, with the former quicker to adapt to the high-tech stuff at the time from PDAs to Razr phones to laptops while being disinterested in the then-current Top 40 scene (I myself am an '85er and HATED the Snap/Ringtone Rap and Emo trends of the time unlike some of the late '80s born, seeing their style as too juvenile compared to the Y2K-era pop that mid-80s born folks like me enjoyed more). However, both could enjoy more Adult artists like Bruno Mars or even Lady Gaga for those who are a bit more "hip", much like how a few "hip" later Boomers got into Madonna/Cyndi Lauper in the '80s, even if its somewhat of a minority.

Mid-80s born identify themselves with pre-Spongebob Nickelodeon, Saturday Morning cartoons pre-E/I mandate, Checkerboard-era Cartoon Network, pay-era Disney Channel, 1996-2003 pop music, broadband internet not arriving to late in high school or college, the 3rd-5th eras of gaming, more career oriented as adults, and having a rather stable career since the last big recession came right around or just after they graduated college. They like the original Disney Afternoon lineup, enjoy Walt-era Disney movies as much as Renaissance-era movies (VHS sales of Walt-era Disney movies were huge in the late '80s/early '90s), and see cartoons as 2D.

I sincerely doubt that a 1985-er or even some late 80's borns would get into them. They seem to be more popular within 1990-1993 borns, if I could recall.

Written By: Setemstraight on 03/23/17 at 7:21 pm

I don't think there were much differences in they're childhood or adolescents. People born in 87, the first year of the late 80s, bearly missed the emo craze. I think it was more those born in the later half of 88 and 89 onward that caught up in that trend. Although there were in fact some 85ers, 85ers, 86ers, and 87ers who also jumped on the emo bandwagon as well, it's just as many those born a little later.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/23/17 at 9:35 pm

Well, my sister was almost born in the mid 1980s (she was born in November 1983) and she definetly had a mostly different childhood than late 1980s babies and a very similar one to those born in the mid 1980s (1984-1986). She watched (the original) DuckTales and the 1987 TMNT when they first came out. She watched Nickelodeon during the late 1980s when shows like Mr. Wizard's World, Double Dare, Hey Dude, You Can't Do That on Television, Danger Mouse were airing. Then in the early 1990s on Nick she watched the earlier episodes of The  Rugrats, Are You Afraid of the Dark?, Doug, Clarissa Explains It All, Salute Your Shorts.  She was almost 9 when Cartoon Network was established (October 1, 1992) and she watched the early years of Cartoon Network (1992-1997) before the Powerhouse era (1997-2004) with shows like Space Ghost Coast to Coast, reruns of the Looney Tunes, Tom & Jerry and Hanna-Barbera Cartoons. She was the target age for Disney Channel when it become a noticeable channel in 1996 (it was pretty obscure from it's establishment in 1983 until 1996) and tween/teen oriented Disney Channel Original movies came out in 1997-2001 (Brink!, Zenon: Girl of the 21st Century, The Thirteenth Year, Smart House, Mom's Got a Date with a Vampire, Motocrossed etc). So most people born from 1987-1989 wouldn't have those similar experiences, meanwhile most born in the mid 1980s (especially 1984-1985) did have similar experiences to her. She was also big in the boy band craze of the late 1990s, most late 1980s born females were too young to be obsessed with *NSYNC and the Backstreet Boys.  This all from personal recollection that she told me.

Written By: Setemstraight on 03/23/17 at 10:55 pm

Well, my sister was almost born in the mid 1980s (she was born in November 1983) and she definetly had a mostly different childhood than late 1980s babies and a very similar one to those born in the mid 1980s (1984-1986). She watched (the original) DuckTales and the 1987 TMNT when they first came out. She watched Nickelodeon during the late 1980s when shows like Mr. Wizard's World, Double Dare, Hey Dude, You Can't Do That on Television, Danger Mouse were airing. Then in the early 1990s on Nick she watched the earlier episodes of The  Rugrats, Are You Afraid of the Dark?, Doug, Clarissa Explains It All, Salute Your Shorts.  She was almost 9 when Cartoon Network was established (October 1, 1992) and she watched the early years of Cartoon Network (1992-1997) before the Powerhouse era (1997-2004) with shows like Space Ghost Coast to Coast, reruns of the Looney Tunes, Tom & Jerry and Hanna-Barbera Cartoons. She was the target age for Disney Channel when it become a noticeable channel in 1996 (it was pretty obscure from it's establishment in 1983 until 1996) and tween/teen oriented Disney Channel Original movies came out in 1997-2001 (Brink!, Zenon: Girl of the 21st Century, The Thirteenth Year, Smart House, Mom's Got a Date with a Vampire, Motocrossed etc). So most people born from 1987-1989 wouldn't have those similar experiences, meanwhile most born in the mid 1980s (especially 1984-1985) did have similar experiences to her. She was also big in the boy band craze of the late 1990s, most late 1980s born females were too young to be obsessed with *NSYNC and the Backstreet Boys.  This all from personal recollection that she told me.

You made a good post but there is alot of inaccurate points you made. You being born in 1999 and looking at it from your view point I can understand you seeing it a different way. And your sister's experiences isn't the tell all of this subject, she could be an exception. But the things you mentioned both mid and late 80s babies mostly experienced. The launch of Cartoon Network, while mid 80s babies remembers it's beginnings, late 80s babies also remembers the channel's early format like the mid 80s babies do, as CN aired mostly classic Hanna-Barbera Cartoons for at least the first five years of its existence. And Space Ghost coast to coast began in 1994, then about 96 they started airing shows Johnny Bravo, Dexter's Labatory, Power Puff Girls, etc... Which both mid and late 80s babies apart of the young demographic of these shows, especially the 85ers and 86ers. Same goes for the Disney Channel as well. And for the boy band explosion in the late 90s, trust me, late 80s babies girls, especially thoes born in 87 and 88 were extremely obsessed with BSB and NSYNC just as much as mid 80s females were. Remember girls mature sooner than boys so alot of 11 and 12 year old girls had those kind of "feelings" for thoes guys. Which would be thoes born in 87 and 88 respectively. And remember those born in 85 and 87 are only two years a part and they remember a lot of the same things from their childhood. Hell an 86 is a mid 80s year and it's next to 87 so there is no difference at all there either. I would say an 84er and an 89er would've maybe had more of a difference between them, as the was a 5 year gap. The same goes for any decade you were born.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/23/17 at 11:33 pm

You made a good post but there is alot of inaccurate points you made. You being born in 1999 and looking at it from your view point I can understand you seeing it a different way. And your sister's experiences isn't the tell all of this subject, she could be an exception. But the things you mentioned both mid and late 80s babies mostly experienced. The launch of Cartoon Network, while mid 80s babies remembers it's beginnings, late 80s babies also remembers the channel's early format like the mid 80s babies do, as CN aired mostly classic Hanna-Barbera Cartoons for at least the first five years of its existence. And Space Ghost coast to coast began in 1994, then about 96 they started airing shows Johnny Bravo, Dexter's Labatory, Power Puff Girls, etc... Which both mid and late 80s babies apart of the young demographic of these shows, especially the 85ers and 86ers. Same goes for the Disney Channel as well. And for the boy band explosion in the late 90s, trust me, late 80s babies girls, especially thoes born in 87 and 88 were extremely obsessed with BSB and NSYNC just as much as mid 80s females were. Remember girls mature sooner than boys so alot of 11 and 12 year old girls had those kind of "feelings" for thoes guys. Which would be thoes born in 87 and 88 respectively. And remember those born in 85 and 87 are only two years a part and they remember a lot of the same things from their childhood. Hell an 86 is a mid 80s year and it's next to 87 so there is no difference at all there either. I would say an 84er and an 89er would've maybe had more of a difference between them, as the was a 5 year gap. The same goes for any decade you were born.

1. I didn't say that my sister was "the tell all of this subject".
2. I said "target demographic" when referring to Disney Channel and the movies during the late 90s-2001.
3. I acknowledged that there was some similarities between her and late 80s born people.
4. She was 14-17 when NSYNC and BSB were popular and that was the "prime" age for being a fan of them and that age range was 90% of their fan base but I also didn't say that late 80s born kids couldn't have been fans of them. I just said that my sister and mid 80s born females were the main ones who were obsessed with them and went to their concerts. 10-12 years old don't go to much concerts, lol.
5. Also, being older than a late 80s born, she had slightly different interests in cartoons and TV shows and late 80s babies don't remember much (or if anything at all) of the late 1980s and early 1990s Nickelodeon.
6. She started high school in 1998 when late 80s born were mostly still in elementary school (Most 1987 babies were just starting middle school at the end of 1998).
7. The first Disney movie she watched as a kid was Little Mermaid (1989) when she was 6. Meanwhile, most late 80s babies had The Lion King (1994) as their first Disney movie. Maybe, a few late 80s babies saw Beauty and the Beast (1991) and Aladdin (1992) before The Lion King but however generally The Lion King was the first exposure to a Disney movie for late 80s born.
8. She can remember stuff about the world before the fall of the Berlin Wall and the end of the USSR, meanwhile late 80s babies can't.

Written By: Setemstraight on 03/24/17 at 1:06 am

2. I said "target demographic" when referring to Disney Channel and the movies during the late 90s-2001.
3. I acknowledged that there was some similarities between her and late 80s born people.
4. She was 14-17 when NSYNC and BSB were popular and that was the "prime" age for being a fan of them and that age range was 90% of their fan base but I also didn't say that late 80s born kids couldn't have been fans of them. I just said that my sister and mid 80s born females were the main ones who were obsessed with them and went to their concerts. 10-12 years old don't go to much concerts, lol.
5. Also, being older than a late 80s born, she had slightly different interests in cartoons and TV shows and late 80s babies don't remember much (or if anything at all) of the late 1980s and early 1990s Nickelodeon.
6. She started high school in 1998 when late 80s born were mostly still in elementary school (Most 1987 babies were just starting middle school at the end of 1998).
7. The first Disney movie she watched as a kid was Little Mermaid (1989) when she was 6. Meanwhile, most late 80s babies had The Lion King (1994) as their first Disney movie. Maybe, a few late 80s babies saw Beauty and the Beast (1991) and Aladdin (1992) before The Lion King but however generally The Lion King was the first exposure to a Disney movie for late 80s born.
8. She can remember stuff about the world before the fall of the Berlin Wall and the end of the USSR, meanwhile late 80s babies can't.

Go tell a late 80s baby they don't remember early 90s Nickelodeon and they would give you an earful lol. When do you think people start developing memories anyway? Someone born in 1987 would be five years old in 1992, 1992 IS early 90s, the same for an 88er, they turned Five in 1993, also early 90s  They would remember a good bit from that time, maybe not as good as mid 80s babies but they would have some good memories. "Kid culture" didn't change a whole lot between the early 90s and mid 90s.  And Nickelodeon from the early 90s was pretty much the same through the mid 90s. So late 80s babies remember that Nickelodeon well. The 85ers and 86ers don't clearly remember late 80s Nick well if at all. The things you've mentioned like the first Disney movie mid 80s born seen was Little mermaid or the first for late 80s born was Lion King isn't a enough to a difference in their experience. Mid 80s born along with late 80s born into Lion King and I'm sure late 80s babies seen Little Mermaid at some point, not went it came out obviously but when it was just few years old and still hugely popular. And the earlier part of mud 80s born is going to be a little different then the later part of the late 80s born. But the center of the two cohorts between 1985 and 1988 wouldn't see much difference at all

Written By: Zelek3 on 03/24/17 at 1:09 am

And Nickelodeon from the early 90s was pretty much the same through the mid 90s.

Yea, 1991-1997 is considered the "golden age" of Nick by most.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/24/17 at 11:50 am

Go tell a late 80s baby they don't remember early 90s Nickelodeon and they would give you an earful lol. When do you think people start developing memories anyway? Someone born in 1987 would be five years old in 1992, 1992 IS early 90s, the same for an 88er, they turned Five in 1993, also early 90s  They would remember a good bit from that time, maybe not as good as mid 80s babies but they would have some good memories. "Kid culture" didn't change a whole lot between the early 90s and mid 90s.  And Nickelodeon from the early 90s was pretty much the same through the mid 90s. So late 80s babies remember that Nickelodeon well. The 85ers and 86ers don't clearly remember late 80s Nick well if at all. The things you've mentioned like the first Disney movie mid 80s born seen was Little mermaid or the first for late 80s born was Lion King isn't a enough to a difference in their experience. Mid 80s born along with late 80s born into Lion King and I'm sure late 80s babies seen Little Mermaid at some point, not went it came out obviously but when it was just few years old and still hugely popular. And the earlier part of mud 80s born is going to be a little different then the later part of the late 80s born. But the center of the two cohorts between 1985 and 1988 wouldn't see much difference at all

1. Once again, my sister is not the holy grail or "tell all of this subject".
2. Also, I didn't say that there aren't similarities between mid 80s born and late 80s born. Funnily enough, how come a lot of mid 90s born (94-96) seem to say the opposite when it comes to us late 90s born (97-99)?
3. Also, there is big difference in seeing something when it came out and later on years after it. They re-released The Lion King in theaters in 2002, 8 years after it's original release. I was 3 and my mom took me to see it. Was me watching it in 2002 the same as a kid watching it in 1994 (when it first came out)?
4. Watching a lot of Nickelodeon shows from the early 1990s as a 6-10 year old is mostly different than watching it as a 2-6 (only a 1987 born would of turned 6 in 1993, the end of the early 1990s). Also, she watched the TV shows on Nickelodeon during the late 1980s, most late 80s babies wouldn't have remembered, known about them or were too young.
5. "Kid Culture", LMAO that's my point. If you was born from 1987-1989, you would of been a newborn baby to a 6 year old during the early 1990s. If you were born from late 1983 to 1985, you would of been 4 years old to 10 years old during the early 1990s. So the kid culture between between groups would have a few similarities but still lots of differences because most late 80s babies weren't even starting elementary school by the end of the early 1990s (only 1987 borns) and most mid 1980s born were already in elementary school or just about to leave elementary school. Kid culture was mostly different from when I was ending elementary school than starting it (or not in it yet).
5. She and I figure a lot of mid 80s babies can remember Nickelodeon just before Doug, The Rugrats and Clarissa Explains It All, etc came on air in 1991. They can remember Nick from about 1987-1990 (before those shows aired).

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/24/17 at 1:18 pm

No, not at all. There may be subtle differences, but overall they grew up along side together.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/24/17 at 1:22 pm

No, not at all. There may be subtle differences, but overall they grew up along side together.

I would say that for people born from late 1985-1987 but for people born 1984-mid 1985 and those born 1988-1989 there would be more than subtle differences.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/24/17 at 1:26 pm

Well, I can only speak to my own experiences as a July 1987 baby but...

*Ducktales and the original TMNT were two of my favorite shows growing up. I owned the The Ducktales Movie on VHS, and TMNT II: Secret of the Ooze was the first movie I ever got my parents to buy for me on video.

*My earliest memories watching Nickelodeon date back to 1990-91 and I can recall watching several '80s Nick "leftovers" like Fred Penner's Place, Danger Mouse, You Can't Do That on Television, etc.

*We got Cartoon Network added to our cable in 1996 so I also remember watching the channel very well during it's original era.

*I was in middle school and high school during the peak of those Y2K era Disney Original Movies (Brink!, Zenon, Motorcrossed, Johnny Tsunami, and the like) and thus right in the target age for those movies.

*Girls my age were in middle school and high school during the peak of N*SYNC and the Backstreet Boys (1998-2002) and very much in the target age group for those and other boy bands, which is roughly ages 11-16.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/24/17 at 1:44 pm

I would say that for people born from late 1985-1987 but for people born 1984-mid 1985 and those born 1988-1989 there would be more than subtle differences.
Not really. They all grew up watching 90s Nick. They remember a time before the internet was mainstream and they all witnessed 9/11 as adolescents.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/24/17 at 1:56 pm

Not really. They all grew up watching 90s Nick. They remember a time before the internet was mainstream and they all witnessed 9/11 as adolescents.

With the exception of the 90s Nick and "adolescent" part so did most people born before 1984.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/24/17 at 2:14 pm

Well, I can only speak to my own experiences as a July 1987 baby but...

*Ducktales and the original TMNT were two of my favorite shows growing up. I owned the The Ducktales Movie on VHS, and TMNT II: Secret of the Ooze was the first movie I ever got my parents to buy for me on video.

*My earliest memories watching Nickelodeon date back to 1990-91 and I can recall watching several '80s Nick "leftovers" like Fred Penner's Place, Danger Mouse, You Can't Do That on Television, etc.

*We got Cartoon Network added to our cable in 1996 so I also remember watching the channel very well during it's original era.

*I was in middle school and high school during the peak of those Y2K era Disney Original Movies (Brink!, Zenon, Motorcrossed, Johnny Tsunami, and the like) and thus right in the target age for those movies.

*Girls my age were in middle school and high school during the peak of N*SYNC and the Backstreet Boys (1998-2002) and very much in the target age group for those and other boy bands, which is roughly ages 11-16.

I'm NOT, I repeat NOT refuting your personal experience.

1. I also repeat, I acknowledge there are similarities between late 1980s babies and mid 1980s babies.
2. Did you watch TMNT during the early years (1987-1990)?
3. DuckTales were on repeat after 1990. Also, you watched 80s leftovers (aka on repeat/reruns). Does me watching some 90s cartoons on repeat (which I did during my early childhood) make me a 90s kid?
4. You watched Cartoon Network during the second to last year (1996) of it's original era (which lasted from 1992-1997). My sister and people born in the mid 80s probably started watched CN during the earliest years (1992-1993).
5. You're an older late '80s kid so of course you were apart of the target age for those DCOMs but however those were more teen oriented movies and people born in 1988 and 1989 weren't teens until 2001 and 2002 (after most of those movies aired originally).
6. Once again, I didn't say that late 80s born couldn't have been fans of BSB and NSYNC. However, if you were born from 1987 to 1989, you were about 9 to 13 when they were at the peak of their popularity (1997-2000). After 2000, they faded in popularity. I'm sure that not many people born 1987-1989 were at their concerts who were MOSTLY 8-12 at their peak unlike a lot of people born 1983-1986 who were MOSTLY 12-17 at their peak.
7. Once again, I know that there are similarities between late 80s born and mid 80s born but lets not ignore the differences. If you can then there is virtually no difference between me (born in 1999) and someone born in 1995.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/24/17 at 2:49 pm

I'm NOT, I repeat NOT refuting your personal experience.

1. I also repeat, I acknowledge there are similarities between late 1980s babies and mid 1980s babies.
2. Did you watch TMNT during the early years (1987-1990)?
3. DuckTales were on repeat after 1990. Also, you watched 80s leftovers (aka on repeat/reruns). Does me watching some 90s cartoons on repeat (which I did during my early childhood) make me a 90s kid?
4. You watched Cartoon Network during the second to last year (1996) of it's original era (which lasted from 1992-1997). My sister and people born in the mid 80s probably started watched CN during the earliest years (1992-1993).
5. You're an older late '80s kid so of course you were apart of the target age for those DCOMs but however those were more teen oriented movies and people born in 1988 and 1989 weren't teens until 2001 and 2002 (after most of those movies aired originally).
6. Once again, I didn't say that late 80s born couldn't have been fans of BSB and NSYNC. However, if you were born from 1987 to 1989, you were about 9 to 13 when they were at the peak of their popularity (1997-2000). After 2000, they faded in popularity. I'm sure that not many people born 1987-1989 were at their concerts who were MOSTLY 8-12 at their peak unlike a lot of people born 1983-1986 who were MOSTLY 12-17 at their peak.
7. Once again, I know that there are similarities between late 80s born and mid 80s born but lets not ignore the differences. If you can then there is virtually no difference between me (born in 1999) and someone born in 1995.

Well, really, I don't think there's a huge difference between a 1995er and a 1999er. I mean, sure, a '95er and a '99er didn't have exactly the same experiences growing up, but I wouldn't say they are radically different either.

And that's really the basic argument that I'm making. I'm not at all refuting the fact that I did not have the exact same childhood/adolescent experiences as someone born in 1983, I'm just saying that I don't the difference is all that large. As I said before, there is a time when I would've felt differently. When I was 10 and an '83er was 14, that would've felt like a massive difference. Now, though, that they're 34 and I'm almost 30, it seems much more minuscule. When I get nostalgic with my 1984 buddy about how awesome Brink! was back in the day, the fact that he was 14 when he saw it and I was 11 doesn't come up because we were both more than old enough to remember the "feel" of that era.

On the music front, the Y2K Teen Pop era didn't really come to an end until early 2002. Remember, N*SYNC's "Celebrity" album from Summer 2001 sold almost 2 million copies in it's first week. Also, as a 13-year-old at the time, my music playlist (which consisted of Korn, Limp Bizkit, Kid Rock, Linkin Park, Sugar Ray, Fuel, etc.) would have been pretty much exactly the same as most mid '80s babies.

To me, the difference between mid '80s babies and late '80s babies comes not with the late '90s but with the early '90s. In the late '90s and early '00s, mid and late '80s had pretty much exactly the same preteen and teenage experiences. Mid '80s babies (like my 1984 friend) can certainly remember the early '90s better than me, though, and that's where there is some difference when it comes to our childhood years.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/24/17 at 2:51 pm

Well, really, I don't think there's a huge difference between a 1995er and a 1999er. I mean, sure, a '95er and a '99er didn't have exactly the same experiences growing up, but I wouldn't say they are radically different either.

And that's really the basic argument that I'm making. I'm not at all refuting the fact that I did not have the exact same childhood/adolescent experiences as someone born in 1983, I'm just saying that I don't the difference is all that large. As I said before, there is a time when I would've felt differently. When I was 10 and an '83er was 14, that would've felt like a massive difference. Now, though, that they're 34 and I'm almost 30, it seems much more minuscule. When I get nostalgic with my 1984 buddy about how awesome Brink! was back in the day, the fact that he was 14 when he saw it and I was 11 doesn't come up because we were both more than old enough to remember the "feel" of that era.

On the music front, the Y2K Teen Pop era didn't really come to an end until early 2002. Remember, N*SYNC's "Celebrity" album from Summer 2001 sold almost 2 million copies in it's first week. Also, as a 13-year-old at the time, my music playlist (which consisted of Korn, Limp Bizkit, Kid Rock, Linkin Park, Sugar Ray, Fuel, etc.) would have been pretty much exactly the same as most mid '80s babies.

To me, the difference between mid '80s babies and late '80s babies comes not with the late '90s but with the early '90s. In the late '90s and early '00s, mid and late '80s had pretty much exactly the same preteen and teenage experiences. Mid '80s babies (like my 1984 friend) can certainly remember the early '90s better than me, though, and that's where there is some difference when it comes to our childhood years.

Fair enough.

Written By: Zelek3 on 03/24/17 at 2:53 pm

The 95er remembers 9/11, the 99er doesn't.

Also, the 95er managed to soak in more of the golden age of Cartoon Network, plus the silver age of Nick. The 99er didn't soak in quite as much before the well ran dry for those channels.

Written By: Setemstraight on 03/24/17 at 2:54 pm

Machine Held and Dog are right, there is no difference between thoes born in the years you mentioned. This is the most inaccurate thing I've seen on here lol. I'm not being an a**hole but it's a fact. I don't know where your coming up with these lol. Especially when you start dividing up a year. An 85er born in January and an 85er born in December grew up with the same experiences with kid/pop culture. Lol its not a matter of opinion it's a matter of fact.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/24/17 at 2:59 pm

Dog is right, there is no difference between thoes born in the years you mentioned. This is the most inaccurate thing I've seen on here lol. I'm not being an a**hole but it's a fact. I don't know where your coming up with these lol. Especially when you start dividing up a year. An 85er born in January and an 85er born in December grew up with the same experiences with kid/pop culture. Lol its not a matter of opinion it's a matter of fact.

Fair point but there still differences between those born from 1984-1986 and 1987-1989 growing up. Now, yeah of course, a 29 year old (born 1988) and a 32 years old (born in 1985) wouldn't be that different.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/24/17 at 3:02 pm

The 95er remembers 9/11, the 99er doesn't.

Also, the 95er managed to soak in more of the golden age of Cartoon Network, plus the silver age of Nick. The 99er didn't soak in quite as much before the well ran dry for those channels.

When do you classify the "Golden Age of Cartoon Network" as? Also, this may be a controversial statement but I don't think that 9/11 had a big impact on people ages 6 and younger when 9/11 happened.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/24/17 at 3:08 pm

1997-2004

Oh yeah, the Powerhouse Era. Yeah, I definetly remember the Powerhouse Era (from 2001-2004). Is Cartoon Network from 2004-2006/2007 (the CN City Era) the "Silver Age of Cartoon Network"?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/24/17 at 3:16 pm

When do you classify the "Golden Age of Cartoon Network" as? Also, this may be a controversial statement but I don't think that 9/11 had a big impact on people ages 6 and younger when 9/11 happened.

I agree with you about 9/11. I think anybody born up to possibly 1998 could remember it, but you had to be at least a certain age in September 2001 to really have an understanding of what was going on. I'm not going to pretend to know exactly what age that would be, though, because it probably differs from person to person.

I was 14 on 9/11 so I obviously had a solid understanding of the significance of the event, but even I didn't know what the hell Al-Qaeda was, or where Afghanistan was on a map, before that happened. My younger brother was 10 on 9/11 and he understood what was going on pretty well, but there might be other kids his age that didn't have as much of an understanding. 1995 would probably have been pushing it, since they were just 6 at the time.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/24/17 at 3:20 pm

I agree with you about 9/11. I think anybody born up to possibly 1998 could remember it, but you had to be at least a certain age in September 2001 to really have an understanding of what was going on. I'm not going to pretend to know exactly what age that would be, though, because it probably differs from person to person.

I was 14 on 9/11 so I obviously had a solid understanding of the significance of the event, but even I didn't know what the hell Al-Qaeda was, or where Afghanistan was on a map, before that happened. My younger brother was 10 on 9/11 and he understood what was going on pretty well, but there might be other kids his age that didn't have as much of an understanding. 1995 would probably have been pushing it, since they were just 6 at the time.

Yeah, I agree with that assessment. Also, to be fair 98% of Americans can't point out Afghanistan on a map (both back then and today) ;D.

Written By: Howard on 03/24/17 at 3:29 pm

Yea, 1991-1997 is considered the "golden age" of Nick by most.

Wasn't the 80's considered "The golden age of Nickelodeon"? ???

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/24/17 at 3:36 pm

According to the book Slimed: An Oral History of Nick's Golden Age, the golden age was 1984-1996 which spans both 80s and 90s.

Funny thing, why do I remember some bumpers from Nickelodeon during that time even though I first started watching Nickelodeon in 2001?

Written By: Zelek3 on 03/24/17 at 3:37 pm

Funny thing, why do I remember some bumpers from Nickelodeon during that time even though I first started watching Nickelodeon in 2001?

Nick kept their old bumpers around for a long time, they got rid of them around 2003.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/24/17 at 3:38 pm

Nick kept their old bumpers around for a long time, they got rid of them around 2003.

Oh cool. Thanks, I didn't know that.  :)

Written By: Setemstraight on 03/24/17 at 4:43 pm

Fair point but there still differences between those born from 1984-1986 and 1987-1989 growing up. Now, yeah of course, a 29 year old (born 1988) and a 32 years old (born in 1985) wouldn't be that different.

There's was not much differences between Mid and late 80s babies growing. Very little I would say. If you didn't grow up in that time period then you wouldn't understand.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/24/17 at 4:48 pm

There's was not much differences between Mid and late 80s babies growing. Very little I would say. If you didn't grow up in that time period then you wouldn't understand.

Hmmm true but my sister did and she noticed slight (not drastic) differences between her and those born in the late 80s. Also, a lot of people born in 1994/1995 shun me if I said that I had a similar childhood to them. But I digress, yes there are similarities between those born in the mid and late 80s (but let's not pretend like there aren't differences...that's all I'm saying).

Written By: Zelek3 on 03/24/17 at 4:50 pm

Also, a lot of people born in 1994/1995 shun me if I said that I had a similar childhood to them.

What about people born in 1996, do they still shun you if you say that?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/24/17 at 5:00 pm

What about people born in 1996, do they still shun you if you say that?

I've only talked with one person born in 1996, he's on this site (mpg96) and we have similar childhood experiences. However, online I've seen a lot of 96ers basically say that 99ers didn't have a similar childhood as them and that we're "the stupid iPhone kids nowadays hur derp #I'mA90sKid".

Written By: Setemstraight on 03/24/17 at 6:13 pm

Hmmm true but my sister did and she noticed slight (not drastic) differences between her and those born in the late 80s. Also, a lot of people born in 1994/1995 shun me if I said that I had a similar childhood to them. But I digress, yes there are similarities between those born in the mid and late 80s (but let's not pretend like there aren't differences...that's all I'm saying).

Yeah there are some differences but not enough to say they're childhood was drastically different. And you said your sister was born in November of 83, technically she's was born in the early 80s though I wouldn't say there was a huge difference between her and thoes born in mid 80s. But again there's very little difference between Mid and late 80s babies. It's like that with thoes born in every decade, even the the 90s. Only reason Thoes born in 94/95 act like that toward you is because right now your still a teen and they're in their early 20s. Mid 80s babies did that to late 80s babies ten years ago. But now they're older and don't see any "difference". It'll be like that with you 90s in few years when everyone born in that decade are out their teens and we'll into adulthood. The only thing likely to be the difference maker will be who remembers  9/11 more.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/24/17 at 6:28 pm

Yeah I there some differences but not enough to say they're childhood was drastically different. And you said your sister was born in November of 83, technically she's was born in the early 80s though I wouldn't say there was a huge difference between her thoes born in mid 80s. But again there's very little difference between Mid and late 90s babies. It's like that with thoes born in every decade, even the the 90s. Only reason Thoes born in 94/95 act like that toward you is because right now your still a teen and they're in their early 20s. Mid 80s babies did that to late 80s babies ten years ago. But now they're older and don't see any "difference". It'll be like that with you 90s in few years when everyone born in that decade are out their teens and we'll into adulthood. The only thing likely to be the difference maker will be who remembers  9/11 more.

You know what....you're right.

Written By: Howard on 03/25/17 at 6:01 am

and Nickelodeon has been around for over 35 years.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/25/17 at 10:38 am

and Nickelodeon has been around for 35 years.

Nickelodeon is slightly older than 35. The channel was founded on December 1, 1977; 39 years ago (as Pinwheel) and was re branded April 1, 1979; 37 years ago (as Nickelodeon). So Nick will turn 40 years old this year on December 1st, however Nick only recognizes when it re branded as it's "birthday", so technically Nickelodeon will be 38 years old come exactly next week (Saturday, April 1st, 2017).

Written By: nintieskid999 on 03/25/17 at 12:29 pm

I was born in late 86 and had similar experiences. I think a lot of people underestimate how much people actually remember.

Written By: Zelek3 on 03/25/17 at 12:30 pm

I was born in late 86 and had similar experiences. I think a lot of people underestimate how much people actually remember.

I thought you were born in 1999 this whole time. :P

Written By: nintieskid999 on 03/25/17 at 12:32 pm

My first Disney movie in theaters was the Little Mermaid. I also remember the USSR being on maps. I have lots of memories of the early 90s, including president HW Bush and vice president Dan Quayle.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 03/25/17 at 12:35 pm

Nope. I don't really see a huge difference between myself and someone born in 1985 in terms of experiences. Especially since I have an extremely good and early memory. I remember songs and trends a lot of people my age don't.

Written By: Setemstraight on 03/25/17 at 3:31 pm

If you were born in 86 you did have the same experiences. There is not much difference between Mid and late 80s babies

Written By: Setemstraight on 03/25/17 at 3:35 pm

Nope. I don't really see a huge difference between myself and someone born in 1985 in terms of experiences. Especially since I have an extremely good and early memory. I remember songs and trends a lot of people my age don't.

There wouldn't be. And 86 is a mid 80s year. But the fact is people born between the mid and late 80s had pretty much the same experiences growing up. Thoes born in  thoes years are of the same generation. I don't mean the whole "millennial" thing either. I'm talking about "personal" generation

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/25/17 at 5:54 pm

It never had an impact towards kids. All of them were either too young to understand the event, or they didn't even remember it at all (like me since I was only 1 and a half when it happened).

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/25/17 at 6:02 pm

It never had an impact towards kids. All of them were either too young to understand the event, or they didn't even remember it at all (like me since I was only 1 and a half when it happened).

Yep that is true.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 03/26/17 at 9:47 am

Same.

Written By: af2010 on 03/29/17 at 2:58 pm

I wouldn't say there's that much of a difference, although it depends on which end of the spectrum you're on. As an 87 baby, I'm closer in age to 86ers than 89ers. I have a sister born in 85. We both grew up watching golden-age Nick, playing Sega Genesis, riding bikes with the neighborhood kids, etc. She remembers the early 90s better than I do, and was a little old for some of the Y2K era kid fads like Pokemon, so I guess her upbringing was maybe slightly more "old school"... but we still experienced the same eras and events (9/11, recession, etc.) at similar ages.

Now comparing someone born in 83/84 to an 89er, I can see where the differences may be more noticeable.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 03/30/17 at 4:53 pm

Yeah there are some differences but not enough to say they're childhood was drastically different. And you said your sister was born in November of 83, technically she's was born in the early 80s though I wouldn't say there was a huge difference between her and thoes born in mid 80s. But again there's very little difference between Mid and late 80s babies. It's like that with thoes born in every decade, even the the 90s. Only reason Thoes born in 94/95 act like that toward you is because right now your still a teen and they're in their early 20s. Mid 80s babies did that to late 80s babies ten years ago. But now they're older and don't see any "difference". It'll be like that with you 90s in few years when everyone born in that decade are out their teens and we'll into adulthood. The only thing likely to be the difference maker will be who remembers  9/11 more.

Does that mean for 80's babies, the difference maker would be on who remembers the Berlin Wall Fall more?

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 03/30/17 at 5:41 pm

Mid '80s (1984-1986) babies: Early Millennials
Late '80s (1987-1989) babies: Late Millennials

Written By: Setemstraight on 03/31/17 at 5:14 am

I wouldn't say there's that much of a difference, although it depends on which end of the spectrum you're on. As an 87 baby, I'm closer in age to 86ers than 89ers. I have a sister born in 85. We both grew up watching golden-age Nick, playing Sega Genesis, riding bikes with the neighborhood kids, etc. She remembers the early 90s better than I do, and was a little old for some of the Y2K era kid fads like Pokemon, so I guess her upbringing was maybe slightly more "old school"... but we still experienced the same eras and events (9/11, recession, etc.) at similar ages.

Now comparing someone born in 83/84 to an 89er, I can see where the differences may be more noticeable.

Naw your sister wasn't a little "old" for Pokemon, she just wasn't into it. Trust me there were alot of 85ers who were into Pokemon. They of course didn't buy any of the toys or anything but they did like the show, especially the video games. It was a cartoon that had a way to appeal to even thoes who were in their early teens. Just to put that fact out there. I think anybody born pre 1990 would have more "old school" upbringing. I would be more inclined to move it up to about 92/93, as thoes born in the early 90s may still have somewhat of early memories before the internet.

Written By: Zelek3 on 03/31/17 at 5:16 am

Early-Mid '80s (1982-1986) babies: Early Millennials
Late '80s-Mid 90s (1987-1995/6) babies: Late Millennials

Fixed

A generation can't be only 5 years! ;)

Written By: Setemstraight on 03/31/17 at 6:13 am

Fixed

A generation can't be only 5 years! ;)

Early -Mid 80s (1982-1986) Early Millennials
Late 80s-to Early 90s (1987 -1991) Core/Mid Millennials
Early-mid 90s (1992-1996) Late Millennials

Can't break a generation down leaving one half only five years and the other half nine years. ;)

Written By: Setemstraight on 03/31/17 at 6:16 am

Does that mean for 80's babies, the difference maker would be on who remembers the Berlin Wall Fall more?

That would be more early 80s babies.

Written By: Setemstraight on 03/31/17 at 6:18 am

Mid '80s (1984-1986) babies: Early Millennials
Late '80s (1987-1989) babies: Late Millennials

That doesn't make the two cohorts have different experiences growing up, that's just breaking down a made up name for a generation.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/01/17 at 6:57 pm

Early -Mid 80s (1982-1986) Early Millennials
Late 80s-to Early 90s (1987 -1991) Core/Mid Millennials
Early-mid 90s (1992-1996) Late Millennials

Can't break a generation down leaving one half only five years and the other half nine years. ;)

Millennials go from January 1 1982 through December 31, 2000

Early Millennials are born from 1982-1987
1988 is a cross between early and mid
1989-1994 would be mid
1995-2000 would be late

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/01/17 at 6:58 pm

Naw your sister wasn't a little "old" for Pokemon, she just wasn't into it. Trust me there were alot of 85ers who were into Pokemon. They of course didn't buy any of the toys or anything but they did like the show, especially the video games. It was a cartoon that had a way to appeal to even thoes who were in their early teens. Just to put that fact out there. I think anybody born pre 1990 would have more "old school" upbringing. I would be more inclined to move it up to about 92/93, as thoes born in the early 90s may still have somewhat of early memories before the internet.

I would say anyone born pre 1989 because they became teenagers before 9/11.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 04/01/17 at 9:32 pm

Millennials go from January 1 1982 through December 31, 2000

Early Millennials are born from 1982-1987
1988 is a cross between early and mid
1989-1994 would be mid
1995-2000 would be late

'87 was the first year of the late 1980s. Late '80s babies are not early Millennials.

Written By: af2010 on 04/01/17 at 9:45 pm

87 might not be early millennial, but not because it's late 80s. Early/mid/late has no bearing on your generation. They're just numbers. It's about what was happening in the world when you were growing up and coming of age.

Written By: Setemstraight on 04/01/17 at 10:14 pm

'87 was the first year of the late 1980s. Late '80s babies are not early Millennials.

The term "millennial" spans the the years from the early 80s to the late 90s, in some cases the early 00s (I wouldn't bring it that far but some do). 80s born millennials ARE early millennials, the 90s born millennials are the later millennials. The youngest people born in the 80s will be/are 28 this year, the youngest 90s born will be/are 18 this year. One has been out of college for awhile now, the other will be graduating high school soon.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/01/17 at 10:57 pm

87 might not be early millennial, but not because it's late 80s. Early/mid/late has no bearing on your generation. They're just numbers. It's about what was happening in the world when you were growing up and coming of age.

First of all they remember the early 90s. Second of all, they're not in the current culture like 1989+ people are. They were mid Millennials in the 00s because they were one of the core demographics for all of its culture but are early ones now considering how the 1989 and later Millennials are turning out. I've even seen people born in 1988 see the difference between themselves and those born only a year later. It's like how people born in 1978 were XY cuspers in the 00s but are pure Xers now.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/01/17 at 11:18 pm

Millennial lasts until the year 2000 or later. Do the math. The conventional definition says it lasts until 2000 and some definitions have it going up to 2004.

Written By: Setemstraight on 04/01/17 at 11:33 pm

First of all they remember the early 90s. Second of all, they're not in the current culture like 1989+ people are. They were mid Millennials in the 00s because they were one of the core demographics for all of its culture but are early ones now considering how the 1989 and later Millennials are turning out. I've even seen people born in 1988 see the difference between themselves and those born only a year later. It's like how people born in 1978 were XY cuspers in the 00s but are pure Xers now.

Well said ;)

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/02/17 at 1:31 am

Well said ;)

I think this change happened in the 2010s. What do you think caused it?

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 04/02/17 at 11:31 am

First of all they remember the early 90s.

They don't remember the very start of the early '90s though. Their earliest memories are from 1991.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/02/17 at 11:33 am

1987 are more like early/late Millennial cusps. It doesn't seem like they're entirely late Millennials. That's like saying 1997 babies aren't early 2000s kids because '97 was the first year of the late 90s.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/02/17 at 11:47 am

They don't remember the very start of the early '90s though. Their earliest memories are from 1991.

Someone born in January 1987 would remember 1990 and people's memories start at different times. My first memories actually started in the late 80s but I'm an outlier.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/02/17 at 11:48 am

Someone born in January 1987 would remember 1990 and people's memories start at different times. My first memories actually started in the late 80s.

But rather vaguely, since they were still toddlers by 1990 (age 3).

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/02/17 at 11:49 am

1987 are more like early/late Millennial cusps. It doesn't seem like they're entirely late Millennials. That's like saying 1997 babies aren't early 2000s kids because '97 was the first year of the late 90s.

I think some people born in that year seem like early Millennials whereas others seem Mid so I think it's a cross between early and mid.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/02/17 at 11:49 am

But rather vaguely, since they were still toddlers by 1990 (age 3).

I knew how to read when I was 3 and remember the adult contemporary pop charts then.

Written By: aja675 on 04/02/17 at 11:51 am

I knew how to read when I was 3 and remember the adult contemporary pop charts then.
Me AF.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/02/17 at 11:59 am

I think some people born in that year seem like early Millennials whereas others seem Mid so I think it's a cross between early and mid.

1987 babies as a whole can remember the early 90s vividly somehow. No matter if they were born in either January to December.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/02/17 at 12:00 pm

1987 babies as a whole can remember the early 90s vividly somehow. No matter if they were born in either January to December.

VIVIDLY is a strong word..... :-\\

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 04/02/17 at 12:13 pm

Someone born in January 1987 would remember the fall of 1990.

Fixed.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 04/02/17 at 12:17 pm

I agree. I don't know any '87ers who remember the early '90s vividly.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/02/17 at 12:18 pm

Fixed.

Nah, they could remember mid-late 1990. Not just the fall of 1990.

Well, I guess maybe vaguely. It's not like toddlers vividly remember a lot of things, including me when I was 2 and 3.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 04/02/17 at 1:20 pm

Nah, they could remember mid-late 1990. Not just the fall of 1990.

How do you know that?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/02/17 at 1:33 pm

How do you know that?

3 year olds can remember stuff a bit well, even though it might differ from their birth date.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/02/17 at 1:44 pm

3 year olds can remember stuff a bit well, even though it might differ from their birth date.

I have memories from 2001 when I was 2, much less 2002 when I was 3.

Written By: Setemstraight on 04/02/17 at 3:38 pm

It's still not enough to make a difference

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/02/17 at 4:03 pm

I agree. I don't know any '87ers who remember the early '90s vividly.

I was born in late 86 and remember the early 90s vividly. I consider myself an early Millennial but barely because my memory starts so early. However, I have an extremely good memory and was gifted so I may be an outlier.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/02/17 at 4:54 pm

I was born in late 86 and remember the early 90s vividly. I consider myself an early Millennial but barely because my memory starts so early. However, I have an extremely good memory and was gifted so I may be an outlier.

I don't remember the early '90s as a whole vividly, but I do have many vivid memories from that era. In particular, my younger brother being born in May 1991 and my first day of kindergarten in September 1992 are two things that stand out.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/02/17 at 6:28 pm

I don't remember the early '90s as a whole vividly, but I do have many vivid memories from that era. In particular, my younger brother being born in May 1991 and my first day of kindergarten in September 1992 are two things that stand out.

Do your memories of the early 90s make you think of yourself as an earlier Millennial? My extremely early memories on fashion, TV, music, and the general feel of the era sort of make me resent being seen as a mid Millennial because people would also see late 86 as mid.
I think Millennials as a whole were influenced more by 2010s culture than anything so now I see 1987 as early whereas in the 00s it was core with some of them being more like early. It's like how in the 00s, someone born in 1978 was an XY cusper but now they're 100 percent X. The 2010s created that jump.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/02/17 at 6:51 pm

What is the first year and last year you consider Millennials?

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 04/02/17 at 7:05 pm

What is the first year and last year you consider Millennials?

1982 and 1996.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/02/17 at 7:06 pm

1982 and 1996.

Why 1996 for the last year?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/02/17 at 7:06 pm

1982 and 1996.

Why ending so early?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/02/17 at 7:10 pm

NOTE: The generation debate can get very tedious to me.

1996 seems like a rather nonsensical end to Generation Y.

Written By: Setemstraight on 04/02/17 at 7:50 pm

1986 is definitely early millennial

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/02/17 at 8:11 pm

Why 1996 for the last year?

Why ending so early?

NOTE: The generation debate can get very tedious to me.

1996 seems like a rather nonsensical end to Generation Y.

Because 96ers are the last that have more than a 50% chance of remember 9/11. Maybe it's arbitrary, but I oftentimes hear older Millennials say "You have to remember 9/11 to be a Millennial".

Keep in mind The Early 90s Guy is probably talking about the American Gen Y, in which case 82-96 would fit well. The definition in other countries would be different.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/02/17 at 8:18 pm

Because 96ers are the last that have more than a 50% chance of remember 9/11. Maybe it's arbitrary, but I oftentimes hear older Millennials say "You have to remember 9/11 to be a Millennial".

Keep in mind The Early 90s Guy is probably talking about the American Gen Y, in which case 82-96 would fit well. The definition in other countries would be different.

I'm American but it still doesn't make sense and like I said on on another thread (maybe even this one)....if you were 6 and younger when 9/11 happened unless you knew someone personally (or sort of personally) that died on 9/11 then it probably wouldn't have had a big impact on you at the time. Also, why is 9/11 always the be all and end all for Gen Y?

Anyways, like I said..."NOTE: The generation debate can get very tedious to me."

Written By: Setemstraight on 04/02/17 at 8:18 pm

Just to put this out there as the debate on what makes a difference between Early and Core Millennials continues. As a mid 80s baby myself and can remember the early 90s pretty well,  I can say that 1990 and 1991 wasn't that different from the later half of the early 90s (1992 to 1993) in terms of "kid culture" as I like to put it. Most of the cartoons that was popular in 90 and 91 were still popular in the latter years, TMNT is one example of this. The 90s Nickelodeon shows we all loved growing up began around 91 and 92 and most of them remained popular well into the mid to late 90s, the rugrats is an example of this as it continued into the 00s.

There was no major events that occurred in the early 90s that would make any difference. The Gulf War was going on but it wasn't as big as Iraq or Vietnam was and I don't remember when it was going on. Unless you had a relative or a parent who was in the military at the time, most mid 80s babies wouldn't remember it all that much if at all. The election of Clinton was a big deal and most mid 80s would remember it well as even some 87ers .

Only real change going on in the early 90s was in pop culture with the rise of Grunge and Gangster rap, but that was for the teens and young adults at that time, us kids didn't pay attention as we were to young and still into kid culture.

That's why I say, with the exception of those born in 1989, and even they still had some exposure to some of what I mentioned, the "early millennials" would be those born in the 80s. Bottom line, late 80s babies, what you remember in the 92 to 93  even 94 range of the 90s was pretty much the same, in the kids culture that is, as 90 and 91.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/02/17 at 8:22 pm

Just to put this out there as the debate on what makes a difference between Early and Core Millennials continues. As a mid 80s baby myself and can remember the early 90s pretty well,  I can say that 1990 and 1991 wasn't that different from the later half of the early 90s (1992 to 1993) in terms of "kid culture" as I like to put it. Most of the cartoons that was popular in 90 and 91 were still popular in the latter years, TMNT is one example of this. The 90s Nickelodeon shows we all loved growing up began around 91 and 92 and most of them remained popular well into the mid to late 90s, the rugrats is an example of this as it continued into the 00s.

There was no major events that occurred in the early 90s that would make any difference. The Gulf War was going on but it wasn't a as big as Iraq or Vietnam was and I don't remember when it was going on. Unless you had a relative or a parent who was in the military at the time, most mid 80s babies wouldn't remember it all that much if at all. The election of Clinton was a big deal and most mid 80s would remember it well as even some 87ers .

Only real change going on in the early 90s was in pop culture with the rise of Grunge and Gangster rap, but that was for the teens and young adults at that time, us kids didn't pay attention as we were to young and still into kid culture.

That's why I say, with the exception of those born in 1989, and even they still had some exposure to some of what I mentioned, the "early millennials" would be those born in the 80s. Bottom line, late 80s babies, what you remember in the 92 to 93  even 94 range of the 90s was pretty much the same, in the kids culture that is, as 90 and 91.

I agree with everything you said but your last sentence. 1994 in pretty much most things was not similar to 1990-1992, especially the years 1990 & 1991.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/02/17 at 8:27 pm

But wouldn't they be just minding their own business during 9/11? Sure they could probably understand how serious the attacks were, but it didn't have an impact on them.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/02/17 at 9:29 pm

Wouldn't the 2008 crash have a bigger impact than 9/11?

Written By: af2010 on 04/03/17 at 2:56 am

Do your memories of the early 90s make you think of yourself as an earlier Millennial? My extremely early memories on fashion, TV, music, and the general feel of the era sort of make me resent being seen as a mid Millennial because people would also see late 86 as mid.
I think Millennials as a whole were influenced more by 2010s culture than anything so now I see 1987 as early whereas in the 00s it was core with some of them being more like early. It's like how in the 00s, someone born in 1978 was an XY cusper but now they're 100 percent X. The 2010s created that jump.

That's an interesting point. I remember somewhat recently (a few years ago maybe) mid 80s babies were considered core millennials. Now pretty much everyone considers them early. It just goes to show that generations aren't an exact science. At the end of the day, they're social constructs that have no way of being proven. That's why these debates can go on forever.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/03/17 at 11:13 am

That's an interesting point. I remember somewhat recently (a few years ago maybe) mid 80s babies were considered core millennials. Now pretty much everyone considers them early. It just goes to show that generations aren't an exact science. At the end of the day, they're social constructs that have no way of being proven. That's why these debates can go on forever.

People back then thought that even people born in the late 70s could be Millennials which was false. I think back in the 00s, people born in years like 1978 and 1979 were XY cuspers because they were on the periphery of the 00s culture and related to the youth. Now I think they are pure Xers.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/03/17 at 10:54 pm

I'm American but it still doesn't make sense and like I said on on another thread (maybe even this one)....if you were 6 and younger when 9/11 happened unless you knew someone personally (or sort of personally) that died on 9/11 then it probably wouldn't have had a big impact on you at the time. Also, why is 9/11 always the be all and end all for Gen Y?

Anyways, like I said..."NOTE: The generation debate can get very tedious to me."
It shouldn't. There were also other events that impacted Gen Y being Columbine, Y2K, Great Recession, Iraq War etc.

We can see the same thing about race/ethnicity. Just a century ago, the Irish, Polish and even the Italians weren't considered White. Today, they are. That's pretty much a social construct too, and those discussions are worse than anything about generations.

Wouldn't the 2008 crash have a bigger impact than 9/11?
Yeah, because it destroyed every opportunity out there for people, and they had to make sacrifices.

People back then thought that even people born in the late 70s could be Millennials which was false. I think back in the 00s, people born in years like 1978 and 1979 were XY cuspers because they were on the periphery of the 00s culture and related to the youth. Now I think they are pure Xers.
Well they could be considered Millennials. For one, they were in college when Gen Y culture was in full force. Two, they had used social media during that time (AOL anyone?). Three, 9/11, Columbine, and the Iraq War impacted them directly. Besides, they weren't that removed from school after they graduated.

To even say they are pure Xers is pretty much saying that the 60s and early 70s folks are all older Xers despite that most of them don't actually see the late 70s or early 80s people as full-fledged Gen X.

Oh, and I find it weird how the Oregon Trail folks say they're the X/Y cusp, but they don't even remember a time before computers, AIDS, Reagan nor a time prior to Nintendo reviving the game industry which the younger Xers actually do recall.

Written By: Encoder319 on 04/14/17 at 11:49 pm

Context: I was born in early '91 and grew up with several older siblings/cousins who were born in the 80s. The ones that had the biggest influence on me were born in: mid-late '80, late '83, mid '86, mid '87, early '88, and mid-late '89.

The "late 80s baby" label really only applies to 1988-89 IMO. Childhood-wise, a 1987er has much more in common with those born in 1985-86. They graduated elementary school in summer '98, which is just before the millennium flavor kicked in later that year. They also graduated high school in 2005 before Myspace and YouTube were popularized and cell phone technology moved beyond the basic flip/candy bar prototype. My sister was born in 1987 and I went to elementary, middle, and high school with 1989ers... it's only a 2-year gap, but I sense a huge difference between the two. It's hard to explain, but there's a palpable divide between 1988 and 1989. The former definitely tends to skew older, having quite a bit in common with 1986-87, while 1989ers seem much more like 1990 babies than anything else.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/15/17 at 6:00 pm

Here's a brief summation, please make corrections if you see any errors.

1984-1986: May be able to remember the Berlin Wall Fall. For 1984, chances are likely considering that they were in elementary school when it happened, but for 1985-86, chances are unlikely. Those born in 1985 and 1986 may have memories from 1989, but it is still unlikely that they'd remember the fall of the Berlin Wall. However, none of them, even if they remembered, will have any impact by it because they were too young to understand communism and politics in general. Additionally, they would be the last to be in elementary school prior to the collapse of the USSR. First presidential election would take place in the Bush vs. Kerry election. Their pop cultural peak would take place in the Millennium period. They were three of the following during the Challenger Explosion - Toddlers, infants, or fetuses, making it impossible for any of them to have any memory of the event.

1987-1989: The chances on remembering the Berlin Wall Fall are basically impossible. Though 1987 borns were two when it happened, they may have some memories from 1989, but it won't be a news event like this even in this magnitude. None of them were at elementary school or even pre-school when it took place. By the time they started elementary school, not only did the Soviet Union collapse, but grunge was already major staple in the pop culture world. First presidential election would take place in the famous McCain vs. Obama election. Their pop cultural peak would take place in the Emo and Mean Girls period.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/15/17 at 6:05 pm

1984-1986 (early Y): May be able to remember the Berlin Wall Fall. For 1984, chances are likely considering that they were in elementary school when it happened, but for 1985-86, chances are unlikely. Those born in 1985 and 1986 may have memories from 1989, but it is still unlikely that they'd remember the fall of the Berlin Wall. However, none of them, even if they remembered, will have any impact by it because they were too young to understand communism and politics in general. Additionally, they would be the last to be in elementary school prior to the collapse of the USSR. First presidential election would take place in the Bush vs. Kerry election.

1987-1989 (true Y): The chances on remembering the Berlin Wall Fall are basically impossible. Though 1987 borns were two when it happened, they may have some memories from 1989, but it won't be a news event like this even in this magnitude. None of them were at elementary school or even pre-school when it took place. By the time they started elementary school, not only did the Soviet Union collapse, but grunge was already major staple in the pop culture world. First presidential election would take place in the famous McCain vs. Obama election.

Nice comparison. One little extra difference is that 1984-1986 can probably remember all of the 1990s.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/15/17 at 6:18 pm

Nice comparison. One little extra difference is that 1984-1986 can probably remember all of the 1990s.

Plus all of them were teens by the time Y2K (did not) took place, and basically all of them still graduated college when Bush was president. All of them also have a likely chance to remember the USSR Collapse.

1986, however, is a little tricky when it comes to childhood experiences. They started their main childhood (elementary school years) when Nickelodeon exits its Platinum Age (1977-1991) and ushers in its Golden Age (1991-1998). I also frequently hear about Saturday Morning Cartoons going downhill in 1991.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/15/17 at 6:22 pm

It shouldn't. There were also other events that impacted Gen Y being Columbine, Y2K, Great Recession, Iraq War etc.
We can see the same thing about race/ethnicity. Just a century ago, the Irish, Polish and even the Italians weren't considered White. Today, they are. That's pretty much a social construct too, and those discussions are worse than anything about generations.
Yeah, because it destroyed every opportunity out there for people, and they had to make sacrifices.
Well they could be considered Millennials. For one, they were in college when Gen Y culture was in full force. Two, they had used social media during that time (AOL anyone?). Three, 9/11, Columbine, and the Iraq War impacted them directly. Besides, they weren't that removed from school after they graduated.

To even say they are pure Xers is pretty much saying that the 60s and early 70s folks are all older Xers despite that most of them don't actually see the late 70s or early 80s people as full-fledged Gen X.

Oh, and I find it weird how the Oregon Trail folks say they're the X/Y cusp, but they don't even remember a time before computers, AIDS, Reagan nor a time prior to Nintendo reviving the game industry which the younger Xers actually do recall.

Even today, some people don't consider Sicilians to be white (considering that they have some Levantine and Phoenician blood on them, which is why y-DNA haplogroup J-M172 is prevalent there. Some also claim that there is Arab blood there, though they were only a ruling class minority who ruled for about two and a half centuries). However, most Sicilians have mitochondrial DNA haplogroup H and as I could recall, R1b (a European y-DNA haplogroup) is slightly more common that J-M172.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/15/17 at 6:28 pm

Plus all of them were teens by the time Y2K (did not) took place, and basically all of them still graduated college when Bush was president. All of them also have a likely chance to remember the USSR Collapse.

1986, however, is a little tricky when it comes to childhood experiences. They started their main childhood (elementary school years) when Nickelodeon exits its Platinum Age (1977-1991) and ushers in its Golden Age (1991-1998). I also frequently hear about Saturday Morning Cartoons going downhill in 1991.

Yeah, those are also some great differences.

Written By: Encoder319 on 04/15/17 at 7:43 pm

No 3-year-old is going to remember the fall of the Berlin Wall, much less understand its significance.

1986 is also true prime Y, not early Y. They started high school in 2000 for goodness' sake.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/15/17 at 7:59 pm

No 3-year-old is going to remember the fall of the Berlin Wall, much less understand its significance.

1986 is also true prime Y, not early Y. They started high school in 2000 for goodness' sake.

However, the thing I do not really seem to get is how when I check polls and posts about the Berlin Wall Fall or 9/11 being the bigger of the two (like the one I conducted here), the Berlin Wall always wins. And if you replace Berlin Wall Fall with USSR Collapse, it also wins.

But do you think some Germans born in 1986 may have vague memories/glimpses of the Berlin Wall Fall?

This article may also be interesting, despite being from 2012:

http://www.reuters.com/article/entertainment-us-memorablemoments-idUSBRE86A0EG20120711

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/16/17 at 1:11 am

Here's a brief summation, please make corrections if you see any errors.

1984-1986: May be able to remember the Berlin Wall Fall. For 1984, chances are likely considering that they were in elementary school when it happened, but for 1985-86, chances are unlikely. Those born in 1985 and 1986 may have memories from 1989, but it is still unlikely that they'd remember the fall of the Berlin Wall. However, none of them, even if they remembered, will have any impact by it because they were too young to understand communism and politics in general. Additionally, they would be the last to be in elementary school prior to the collapse of the USSR. First presidential election would take place in the Bush vs. Kerry election. The time where they would get into pop culture the most would take place in the Millennium period.

1987-1989: The chances on remembering the Berlin Wall Fall are basically impossible. Though 1987 borns were two when it happened, they may have some memories from 1989, but it won't be a news event like this even in this magnitude. None of them were at elementary school or even pre-school when it took place. By the time they started elementary school, not only did the Soviet Union collapse, but grunge was already major staple in the pop culture world. First presidential election would take place in the famous McCain vs. Obama election. The time where they would get into pop culture the most would take place in the Emo and Mean Girls period.

When do you consider people to get into the pop culture? I listened to the radio by myself in the 90s and was aware of all the pop charts.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/16/17 at 1:13 am

I remember the 1990 pop charts, especially adult contemporary and I was born in late 86. But my memory is abnormally good. It sucks having a memory so far ahead of most people because then people expect you not to remember the things you do.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/16/17 at 1:15 am

I remember the 1990 pop charts, especially adult contemporary and I was born in late 86. But my memory is abnormally good. It sucks having a memory so far ahead of most people because then people expect you not to remember the things you do.

My memory is pretty good as well.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/16/17 at 1:15 am

Considering Millennials end anywhere from 2000-2004, anyone born in the 80s other than 1989 would be early.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/16/17 at 1:16 am

My memory is pretty good as well.

Do you hate it when people say you can't remember something when you do? I hate it when people say I can't know this or that because of my age.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/16/17 at 1:16 am

Do you hate it when people say you can't remember something when you do? I hate it when people say I can't know this or that because of my age.

Yes, I hate that as well but I love proving them wrong.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/16/17 at 1:23 am

Yes, I hate that as well but I love proving them wrong.

I also hate people telling me what events should have affected me how. For me, 2008 taught me there was no such thing as stability and you may as well take risks to fix things. You can live the safest life ever but still be pulled down. Might as well shoot to the top. It's less safe not to fix something than it is to fix something in a risky way.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/16/17 at 1:27 am

I also hate people telling me what events should have affected me how. For me, 2008 taught me there was no such thing as stability and you may as well take risks to fix things. You can live the safest life ever but still be pulled down. Might as well shoot to the top. It's less safe not to fix something than it is to fix something in a risky way.

Inspirational words.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/16/17 at 5:56 am

When do you consider people to get into the pop culture? I listened to the radio by myself in the 90s and was aware of all the pop charts.

What I meant was at peak (sorry about that), which is at around 15-16 years of age.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/16/17 at 10:34 am

That's an interesting question, and one I've never really thought much about. I get what you're saying though. The early '90s were just so "old school" compared to today that being able to remember that time clearly can actually make you feel older than you are.

I think this is particularly true of the way I grew up. My family didn't have computers or cell phones until I was 13, a CD player until I was 10, cable until I was 7, and was still driving a 1979 Ford LTD until I was 6. My primitive childhood makes me feel a little more distant from later Millennials than others my age might feel. Hell, you could probably take most kids born in 1977, and their childhood's would not have been all that much different than mine.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/16/17 at 11:54 am

That's an interesting question, and one I've never really thought much about. I get what you're saying though. The early '90s were just so "old school" compared to today that being able to remember that time clearly can actually make you feel older than you are.

I think this is particularly true of the way I grew up. My family didn't have computers or cell phones until I was 13, a CD player until I was 10, cable until I was 7, and was still driving a 1979 Ford LTD until I was 6. My primitive childhood makes me feel a little more distant from later Millennials than others my age might feel. Hell, you could probably take most kids born in 1977, and their childhood's would not have been all that much different than mine.

I'm sort of primitive in some ways, even though I'm twelve years (a whole Chinese Zodiac cycle) younger than you.

I didn't really have cable until around age eight.
My first car was a 1998 Honda Civic.
The first cellphone I had was at age thirteen, and it was a basic flip-phone. I still sometimes use flip-phones.
I still don't have any form of social media besides forums like this.
Even though I still use VHS more than DVD, I don't do it as much as I did until I was a teenager
I grew up with both wooden console television sets and box television sets
Even though I played with PS2's and Wiis, I also played video games using the PS1 and even the Sega Genesis.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/16/17 at 12:00 pm

I'm sort of primitive in some ways, even though I'm twelve years (a whole Chinese Zodiac cycle) younger than you.

The first cellphone I had was at age thirteen, and it was a basic flip-phone. I still sometimes use flip-phones.
Even though I still use VHS more than DVD, I don't do it as much as I did until I was a teenager
Even though I played with PS2's and Wiis, I also played video games using the PS1 and even the Sega Genesis.

What in the world? Wooden TV sets? :o. 1998 Honda Civic?. Are you sure you wasn't born in 1949 instead of 1999?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/16/17 at 12:05 pm

What in the world? Wooden TV sets? :o. 1998 Honda Civic?. Are you sure you wasn't born in 1949 instead of 1999?

Well, I did have a wood grain TV set when I was little. Even though my parents bought a big-ass Toshiba CRT TV around 2003/4.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/16/17 at 12:23 pm

That's a good point, and a reason why I never judge somebody's experiences just based on when they were born. After all, a kid born in 1995 that grew up in poverty without television or video games would've had a much more primitive childhood than even a privileged 1975er that had a TV, VCR and an NES as a kid.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/16/17 at 12:30 pm

Well, I did have a wood grain TV set when I was little. Even though my parents bought a big-ass Toshiba CRT TV around 2003/4.

Wow, you and T-Rex's parents are way more old fashioned than my mother.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/16/17 at 12:45 pm

Wow, you and T-Rex's parents are way more old fashioned than my mother.

Well to be fair, my family is way more into technology than T-Rex's parents. I mean, we already had iPods, computers running Windows XP, digital cable, and DVD players by 2005/6.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/16/17 at 1:02 pm

Well to be fair, my family is way more into technology than T-Rex's parents. I mean, we already had iPods, computers running Windows XP, digital cable, and DVD players by 2005/6.

Yeah, his parents are old fashioned AF.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/16/17 at 5:29 pm

My '98 Civic is gone now. Now I have a 2016 Civic (my '98 acted funny and had a lot of issues. In fact, I only got to drive my first car twice before I had to say goodbye to it).

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/16/17 at 5:32 pm

My '98 Civic is gone now. Now I have a 2016 Civic (my '98 acted funny and had a lot of issues. In fact, I only got to drive my first car twice before I had to say goodbye to it).

OK ;).

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/16/17 at 5:33 pm

I had a 2000 Subaru Outback that was like that, except the engine was pretty old for its time. My dad sold it to somebody a couple years ago.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/16/17 at 5:37 pm

My first car was a 1993 Toyota Corolla that belonged to my grandparents. It broke down on the side of the road when I was in college. >:(

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/16/17 at 5:38 pm

I don't even have a car :(.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/16/17 at 5:42 pm

My first car was a 1993 Toyota Corolla that belonged to my grandparents. It broke down on the side of the road when I was in college. >:(

That '98, in fact, I inherited it from my parents. I don't know if it still counts as my "first car".

Check for new replies or respond here...