inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Creator of Long Defunct 80s Website...

Written By: eeveecandy on 03/25/17 at 2:59 pm

Hi everyone,

This might be a very long shot, but years ago in the late 90s, there used to be this really cute 80s website that had a little cartoon girl named 'L.P.' and she would "talk" about various things about the 80s. All I remember is that it was run by a girl named Karen, and she also had a hilarious section on her site called 'Reasons Why the 90s Suck'. I did a little digging around, and came across a link and I found it archived on the Wayback Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20020205160955/http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Boulevard/3805/

I was wondering if the creator was still around and if she has another 80s site/blog because I really loved her old site!

Cheers,
Eevee

Subject: Re: Creator of Long Defunct 80s Website...

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/28/17 at 12:03 am

https://web.archive.org/web/20020205160955/http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Boulevard/3805/

I was wondering if the creator was still around and if she has another 80s site/blog because I really loved her old site!

"Hi! My name is Karen. I was born in the late 70s in the San Francisco Bay Area. Because of my age, I missed most of the fun stuff that made the 80's such a great decade. Creating this page has helped me learn more about history and my childhood in general, which has been a lot of fun. I am currently a architecture major at the Illinois Institute of Technology in Chicago. When I'm not drafting for studio, I enjoy doing other things. I am an accomplished artist who has been published nationally. I also like to write. In sports, I like to swim. I'm slowly learning how to roller blade. The problem isn't getting going, it's learning how to stop. I often skate in the Chicago area, but after several near death incidents, I think I'll practice some more before I get too close to streets again. I also love music. I'm relatively well versed in all types. The only kind I don't like is the current post grunge movement stuff, otherwise known as "alternative" (remember when alternative music really was?) and country. Right now, I’m listening to a lot of Blues music. There are many 80s bands that I like, the Cars probably being my favorite. By now, you've probably noticed the pictures. They are there for entertainment value. They are all pretty dated. Some of them are down right embarrassing (the ones taken when I was about 10, to be exact), but hey, if it helps rekindle some 80s memory for you, then it's worth it, right? At the very end of this page is a picture of me taken a couple years ago. Hopefully I can find something more recent."

(I have no idea who the creator was -- but I'm copying/pasting the text from the site creator's bio in the faint hope that a search engine picks up on it, and, perhaps, Karen of the "Awesome 80s" Geocities site from 1998 will eventually stumble upon this thread and find us.)

Written By: eeveecandy on 03/28/17 at 9:43 am

Yeah I tried to cross 'Karen' and 'Architect Major at Chicago Institute of Technology' via google to no avail. It's so weird when you consider how someone who once had a presence online and owned a website is now in the depths of obscurity. I remember contacting her a couple of times way back when but I don't think I ever got her last name. I also remember she used to get a lot of flack for her 'Reasons Why the 90s Suck' part of her site.

Looking back on it, she was a little over the top with her 90s hatred, but it was all in good fun. And considering how crazy the world is today, the 1990s don't seem that bad haha!

~eevee

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/28/17 at 1:17 pm

This is a really cool relic of the early web. Back in 1998, this would've been one of the first websites dedicated to the '80s on the entire internet. This was a good four years before I Love the '80s premiered on VH1 in 2002, which is what really kicked off the '80s nostalgia "movement".

Written By: eeveecandy on 03/28/17 at 2:24 pm

Indeed it is! Karen obviously put a ton of time and effort into her labor of love. It also said on her bio that she was an accomplished artist who had been published nationally. That's why I am so curious to find out whatever became of her...

She obviously had skill and talent!

Written By: Howard on 03/28/17 at 3:00 pm

Hi everyone,

This might be a very long shot, but years ago in the late 90s, there used to be this really cute 80s website that had a little cartoon girl named 'L.P.' and she would "talk" about various things about the 80s. All I remember is that it was run by a girl named Karen, and she also had a hilarious section on her site called 'Reasons Why the 90s Suck'. I did a little digging around, and came across a link and I found it archived on the Wayback Machine:

Cheers,
Eevee

I wonder why I get a 404 File Not Found? ???

Written By: eeveecandy on 03/28/17 at 3:13 pm

Howard, keep trying the link. Since it's archived on the Wayback Machine it will do that periodically. Keep trying!

Written By: karen on 03/29/17 at 5:11 pm

This is a really cool relic of the early web. Back in 1998, this would've been one of the first websites dedicated to the '80s on the entire internet. This was a good four years before I Love the '80s premiered on VH1 in 2002, which is what really kicked off the '80s nostalgia "movement".

The first posts on the fore-runner to this message board were made in May 1998.

If you go to the Penguin News section and look on the first page there is a thread about 14 years and still going strong.  That has a link to the very early archived stuff.  Who knows maybe Karen posted there and gave away some more details of herself.

Written By: eeveecandy on 03/30/17 at 2:08 pm

For a split second, I almost thought you were the mysterious 'Karen' we have been looking for!

I looked on that thread but couldn't find anything. I guess she has faded into the web of obscurity!

Check for new replies or respond here...