inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: POLL : 80s action figure lines!

Written By: robby76 on 03/27/17 at 5:49 am

Seems like every other week in the 80s I was begging my parents to buy me a new action figure from a new toyline. I collected almost all on my list, but please feel free to talk about any other rarer ones. I remember having Rambo figures and also wanting the Chuck Norris Karate Kommandos line.

Subject: Re: POLL : 80s action figure lines!

Written By: robby76 on 03/28/17 at 5:05 am

Star Wars : My favourite figures were the ewoks. My brother and I had a good solid collection of figures. We also had vehicles like the X-Wing fighter. As an adult I re-collected all the ewoks and also splurged on the Ewok Village playset.

GI Joe : Wow I had a lot of these and the vehicles too. Favourites were Zartan and all the dreadnoks.

Thundercats : Pretty much had all the key characters - but not so many of the minor ones.

He-Man : Again lots of key characters were bought. My first ever figure was Stratos.

MASK : Had two vehicles and a motorbike.

http://www.albertpenello.com/mask/hurrimage2.gif

Transformers : Not a favourite cartoon, so me and my brother only had one each. Mine was Trailbreaker.

ZOIDS : Not really an action figure but it shows up on lists. I had one or two.

Real Ghostbusters : Had all the 4 Ghostbusters - nothing else.

Voltron : Had the big black lion (body) and the blue and yellow lions (both legs). So yes my Voltron when assembled was arm-less lol.

WWF Wrestlers : Lots of these guys - I remember King Kong Bundy was so heavy he was almost falling out of the plastic case. Fave was the Junkyard Dog.

http://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/images1/1/0611/18/wwf-wwe-ljn-king-kong-bundy-action_1_a757051c44f058b078942f2bc9f0a833.jpg

Advanced Dungeons & Dragons : Loved this line even though it wasn't based on the cartoon itself. First and fave figure was Zarak.

Asterix : Loved the PlayAsterix line. Had many Gauls and a few Romans too.

A-Team : Had all 4 action figures plus the 4 set "bad guys". Also had the bigger Mr T figure, which was the other line they did.

http://i1.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/g/JAkAAOSw2gxYuPOR/s-l225.jpg

Terrahawks : Once again a good healthy collection of goodies, plus Zelda and those Zeroids

Marvel Secret Wars : Only had Falcon.

Written By: Howard on 03/28/17 at 7:31 am

Star Wars : My favourite figures were the ewoks. My brother and I had a good solid collection of figures. We also had vehicles like the X-Wing fighter. As an adult I re-collected all the ewoks and also splurged on the Ewok Village playset.

GI Joe : Wow I had a lot of these and the vehicles too. Favourites were Zartan and all the dreadnoks.

Thundercats : Pretty much had all the key characters - but not so many of the minor ones.

He-Man : Again lots of key characters were bought. My first ever figure was Stratos.

MASK : Had two vehicles and a motorbike.

http://www.albertpenello.com/mask/hurrimage2.gif

Transformers : Not a favourite cartoon, so me and my brother only had one each. Mine was Trailbreaker.

ZOIDS : Not really an action figure but it shows up on lists. I had one or two.

Real Ghostbusters : Had all the 4 Ghostbusters - nothing else.

Voltron : Had the big black lion (body) and the blue and yellow lions (both legs). So yes my Voltron when assembled was arm-less lol.

WWF Wrestlers : Lots of these guys - I remember King Kong Bundy was so heavy he was almost falling out of the plastic case. Fave was the Junkyard Dog.

http://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/images1/1/0611/18/wwf-wwe-ljn-king-kong-bundy-action_1_a757051c44f058b078942f2bc9f0a833.jpg

Advanced Dungeons & Dragons : Loved this line even though it wasn't based on the cartoon itself. First and fave figure was Zarak.

Asterix : Loved the PlayAsterix line. Had many Gauls and a few Romans too.

A-Team : Had all 4 action figures plus the 4 set "bad guys". Also had the bigger Mr T figure, which was the other line they did.

http://i1.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/g/JAkAAOSw2gxYuPOR/s-l225.jpg

Terrahawks : Once again a good healthy collection of goodies, plus Zelda and those Zeroids

Marvel Secret Wars : Only had Falcon.

I used to collect them all the time.  :)

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 03/30/17 at 6:01 pm

Minor nitpick about this board: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is more of a 90s toyline than an '80s toyline.

Other than that, I voted for Star Wars.

Written By: robby76 on 03/30/17 at 11:04 pm

Minor nitpick about this board: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is more of a 90s toyline than an '80s toyline.

Other than that, I voted for Star Wars.

I never collected them, but Wiki tells me Playmates introduced a whole toyline in 1988. I certainly remember the toys back in the 80s, but was never a fan of the cartoon for some reason. Maybe I was getting a little older being 11 going on 12.

Here's a link... http://www.playmatestoys.com/corporate/history

Nice vote for Star Wars - they certainly revolutionised the whole action figure phenomenon.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 03/31/17 at 6:23 am

I never collected them, but Wiki tells me Playmates introduced a whole toyline in 1988. I certainly remember the toys back in the 80s, but was never a fan of the cartoon for some reason. Maybe I was getting a little older being 11 going on 12.

Here's a link... http://www.playmatestoys.com/corporate/history

Nice vote for Star Wars - they certainly revolutionised the whole action figure phenomenon.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles action figures were manufactured from 1988 to 1997. They were the best selling toy of the year 1990. I knew people who had the first ten figures back in the very early '90s. To the best of my knowledge, April 'O Neil and the Foot Soldier were the rarest out of them all.

Written By: Looney Toon on 03/31/17 at 12:50 pm

If we're going by initial production TMNT is an 80's toy line, but in terms of popularity and relevance it's 90's for sure.

Written By: Howard on 03/31/17 at 3:46 pm

I used to collect WWF action figures almost all the time:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/d9/f4/4e/d9f44e49c1702c019f4a2edda7bcf7b0.jpg

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 03/31/17 at 5:12 pm

If we're going by initial production TMNT is an 80's toy line, but in terms of popularity and relevance it's 90's for sure.

They were the heroes of the Bush Sr. era (1989-1992).

tYIofSehQoU

Written By: Looney Toon on 03/31/17 at 5:29 pm

tYIofSehQoU

"Ninja the turtle"? Sounds like a bad fan character. "LEONARDO! DONATELLO! RAPHAEL! MICHELANGELO! and now introducing the newest hero, NINJA!" 

Written By: Howard on 04/01/17 at 4:48 am

tYIofSehQoU

I can't believe he said "Ninja The Turtle". ;D

Written By: dbutler69 on 04/13/17 at 12:07 pm

Of these, I only collected Star Wars.  Most of my action figure collecting was in the late 70's, and I pretty much stopped collecting action figures around 1982 or maybe 1983.  However, speaking of GI Joe, I did have the 12" GI Joe figure from the 70's, the one with real clothing and "hair" though I didn't select GI Joe here because I assume that the OP is referring to the 80's version.

Written By: robby76 on 04/13/17 at 9:17 pm

Of these, I only collected Star Wars.  Most of my action figure collecting was in the late 70's, and I pretty much stopped collecting action figures around 1982 or maybe 1983.  However, speaking of GI Joe, I did have the 12" GI Joe figure from the 70's, the one with real clothing and "hair" though I didn't select GI Joe here because I assume that the OP is referring to the 80's version.

Yes in the UK (and other parts outside the US) your 12" GI Joe was known as Action Man. My bro had all that - and it got handed down to me. Used to love switching his eyes left to right.

Written By: annimal on 04/13/17 at 10:16 pm

All I collected were the different things that came in the boxes of Redrose tea

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/14/17 at 7:51 am

Yes in the UK (and other parts outside the US) your 12" GI Joe was known as Action Man. My bro had all that - and it got handed down to me. Used to love switching his eyes left to right.
I had one too! Don't know where it is now.

Check for new replies or respond here...