inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What Defined The 80's More: New Wave or Hair Metal?

Written By: DesiredUsernameWasTaken on 05/30/17 at 7:54 pm

I'd say hair metal.

Subject: Re: What Defined The 80's More: New Wave or Hair Metal?

Written By: #Infinity on 05/30/17 at 7:57 pm

Hair metal, because new wave's creative peak was largely concentrated in the late 1970s. Hair metal was still popular in the early 90s, but it's most heavily associated with the 80s.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/30/17 at 8:04 pm

I have to say new wave - it was a bigger sea change.  Hair metal certainly had its place, but didn't define the decade as much as new wave IMO.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/30/17 at 8:09 pm

I have to say new wave - it was a bigger sea change.  Hair metal certainly had its place, but didn't define the decade as much as new wave IMO.

I think I have to agree. New wave and synth pop are the first 2 things that I think of when it comes to 1980s music.

Written By: yelimsexa on 05/30/17 at 8:55 pm

Hair metal, because new wave's creative peak was largely concentrated in the late 1970s. Hair metal was still popular in the early 90s, but it's most heavily associated with the 80s.

While I'd agree that the 1977-1981 were its most creative years and did start to become popular beginning around mid-1979, it wasn't until 1982 or 1983 that in North America it really started to be definitive, where adult pop and country had dominated the start of the '80s. It was still moderately popular in 1988 and 1989 with Icehouse, Information Society, as well as The Cure and The B-52's biggest hits. Hair Metal didn't really overtake New Wave until 1987 (when MTV's Headbangers Ball launched), since late 1986 still had popular albums by The Human League, Duran Duran, and Culture Club despite Bon Jovi's Slippery When Wet becoming popular that far. Hair Metal was also more popular in the early '90s than New Wave was in the late '70s IMO. 1977-1981 for New Wave was for 1982-1986 for Hair Metal in terms of creativity, but IMO popularity is what really defines a decade since its what the average person will experience (just look at what The Early '90s Guy mentions), not what goes on under the surface. Plus, the often lampooned Power Pop/Arena Rock groups like REO Speedwagon, Journey, KISS, The Scorpions, Toto, Styx, Survivor, and Foreigner were basically what the Hair Metal bands were inspired by, while New Wave was a radical evolution from the more intricate punk and glam rock genres.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 05/30/17 at 9:09 pm

Both equally defined the 80's.

New Wave is for the first half of the 80's, and glam metal is for the second half of the 80's.

Written By: DesiredUsernameWasTaken on 05/30/17 at 9:10 pm

Both equally defined the 80's.

New Wave is for the first half of the 80's, and glam metal is for the second half of the 80's.

If you were to pick one though, which would it be?

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 05/30/17 at 9:12 pm

If you were to pick one though, which would it be?

This is probably a question that even Einstein would find it complicated to answer.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/31/17 at 12:40 am

Hair metal since it was one of the biggest rock genres from 1983 to 1991. New Wave's heyday was more 79-83. Around 82, it became more and more commercial so that by time we hit 85 and continuing through the early 90's, it was way more commercial and synthpop. There are like 3 or 4 different popular styles that new wave spawned through 85-91. If you asked glam vs synthpop, however, I'd go with synthpop. The style of Madonna was more definitive than Def Leppard.

Written By: Howard on 05/31/17 at 5:07 am

I would say New Wave cause that started the 1980's.

Written By: Zelek3 on 06/03/17 at 4:07 pm

New wave, because new wave is well-remembered to this day. Hair metal has been forgotten.

Written By: Howard on 06/03/17 at 4:20 pm

New wave, because new wave is well-remembered to this day. Hair metal has been forgotten.

Hair Metal was just a fad.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 06/03/17 at 11:58 pm

It's not forgotten.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/04/17 at 1:12 am

I choose to be biased and say new wave.  8)  :o  :o

Written By: Setemstraight on 06/04/17 at 3:45 am

I'd say new wave mostly. Even though hair metal was huge, there were a lot more new wave artists and new wave dominated the top 40 more for the entire decade. From the late 70s until the early 90s. Beginning the decade with Devo, The Police, and Talking Heads and ending the decade with The Cure, Johnny Hates Jazz, and Depeche Mode. Hair metal didn't take off until around 83 or 84.

Written By: DesiredUsernameWasTaken on 06/04/17 at 10:04 am

I'd say new wave mostly. Even though hair metal was huge, there were a lot more new wave artists and new wave dominated the top 40 more for the entire decade. From the late 70s until the early 90s. Beginning the decade with Devo, The Police, and Talking Heads and ending the decade with The Cure, Johnny Hates Jazz, and Depeche Mode. Hair metal didn't take off until around 83 or 84.

But didn't new wave decline in the second half of the 80s?

Check for new replies or respond here...