inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The "Aussieness" of the '80s

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 06/22/17 at 3:24 am

Yes, I know that this is clearly inspired by Donnie Darko's "Britishness of the '80s" thread, however I believe this thread is warranted. :P I never really gave this a second thought before, but Australia had quite a significant influence on US culture during the 1980s. You could argue that it almost had the same influence on US Culture as the UK had. Here are a few reasons why;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2T7wKdQsTo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FRsZx17cEk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgfR3AKCAQI

Music

Several Australian bands/artists achieved success on the US Hot 100 Billboard chart during the '80s. AC/DC had two singles which peaked within the Top 40, and several others which had great success on the Modern Rock chart. Men At Work released the Billboard #1 singles, "Who Can it Be Now?" and "Down Under" in 1981, with the latter being certified gold in the US. They also had Top 10 chart success with "Overkill" and "It's a Mistake" in 1983. Icehouse had two Top 20 Billboard singles with "Crazy" and "Electric Blue" in 1987.

Despite not achieving as great chart success in the US, Midnight Oil became hugely successful in the Late 80s, with the release of their 1987 single, "Beds are Burning". Rick Springfield was very successful in the US and released several Billboard Hot 100 singles during the Early 80s. In fact, he was actually more successful in the US then he was in Australia!  :o Olivia Newton-John also released several US Billboard Hot 100 singles in the Late 70s and Early 80s.

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u431/SharksFan99/maxresdefault%201_zpsfv3nfyzv.jpg

Movies

The Crocodile Dundee franchise was hugely successful in the US and Paul Hogan instantly became a recognisable figure in pop culture. In fact, the franchise was so successful, that it even resulted in the "put a shrimp on the barbie" campaign (although, "shrimps" are known as "prawns" in Australia :P).

The 1980s also saw the rise of Mel Gibson's career, who despite being born in New York, grew up in Australia and started his career in the country. Many people tend to forget that his successful Hollywood career started as a result of him having lead roles in Australian movies such as "Galipoli" and "Mad Max". When he started to become internationally successful in the Early 80s, people in the US were convinced that he was actually Australian. He personally considers himself to be both Australian and American. This is from a 2008 interview; "Well, I am what I am: hybrid boy. I've been bouncing across there like a ping pong ball my whole life, so I don't make that distinction".

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u431/SharksFan99/Am_Cup_83_1_zps9tfpwrwj.jpg

1983 American Cup

Australia won the 1983 American Cup. Up until that point, America had successfully defended the cup for 132 years. Australia's victory in 1983 really put the country on the world stage and it also resulted in the American public becoming intrigued by Australia and its culture.

Subject: Re: The "Aussieness" of the '80s

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/17 at 3:51 am

For music, add John Farnham's "You're the Voice" (1986).

In cricket, the closing years of the 1980s, Australia won back the Ashes from England and began an era of dominance in that series which only ended in 2005.

Written By: Elor on 06/22/17 at 6:00 am

One of my all time favorite songs. It was pretty big here in Germany but I believe it didn't peak that high in the US.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 06/22/17 at 7:31 am

One of my all time favorite songs. It was pretty big here in Germany but I believe it didn't peak that high in the US.

I agree, it is a pretty good song. "You're the Voice" is basically like an "unofficial" anthem here in Australia.

Based on the Wikipedia article of the song, it reached #1 in Australia, Germany and Sweden, #6 in the UK, #12 in Canada and #13 in New Zealand. At the time of its release, it didn't even chart in the US at all!  :o

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You%27re_the_Voice#Chart_history

Written By: aja675 on 06/22/17 at 10:30 am

This would be like how a surprising amount of Australian ballads were popular here in the '90s. I'm guessing it's because of how the people here eat up anything mawkish and sentimental + Australia being the nearest Western country. (Unless you don't count various American territories in Oceania.)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/17 at 8:27 pm

John Paul Young hit a worldwide hit in the late 1970s with "Love Is In The Air", did he continue with hits in Australia in the 1980s?

Written By: DesiredUsernameWasTaken on 06/22/17 at 11:37 pm

Don't forget about "Neighbours", one of the most well known TV shows from the 80s, which was Australian.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/22/17 at 11:43 pm

Does this count, lol?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/image/5500642-3x2-940x627.jpg
Australian Prime Minister Bob Hawke and US President Ronald Reagan

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/17 at 11:58 pm

Don't forget about "Neighbours", one of the most well known TV shows from the 80s, which was Australian.
Add "Sons and Daughters" and "Home and Away".

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/23/17 at 12:09 am

I found an article related to this topic:
http://mashable.com/2015/12/28/america-obsessed-australia-1980s/#802JeFzKs5qu

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 06/23/17 at 12:24 am

John Paul Young hit a worldwide hit in the late 1970s with "Love Is In The Air", did he continue with hits in Australia in the 1980s?

He released a single called "The Day That My Heart Caught Fire" in 1978, which peaked at #20 on our charts and in South Africa. With the exception of a remix of "Love Is In The Air" in 1992 (the remix peaked at #3), his last hit was in 1983 with the single, "Soldier of Fortune". It peaked at #17.

Funnily enough, "Neighbours" is actually more popular in the UK then it is in Australia.  ;D The series is still being produced as well.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 06/23/17 at 12:27 am

I found an article related to this topic:
http://mashable.com/2015/12/28/america-obsessed-australia-1980s/#802JeFzKs5qu

In regards to that article, it's funny how some Americans tend to think that Fosters is a popular beer here in Australia, but in reality, it actually isn't! :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/23/17 at 12:29 am

In regards to that article, it's funny how some Americans tend to think that Fosters is a popular beer here in Australia, but in reality, it actually isn't! :P
Is XXXX the must popular beer?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 06/23/17 at 12:31 am

Is XXXX the must popular beer?

It is a popular beer, however I don't think it's the most popular. If i'm not mistaken, VB and Toohey's New are the most popular beers.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/23/17 at 12:32 am

Well....sorry for that :-[.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 06/23/17 at 12:34 am

Well....sorry for that :-[.

I wasn't directing that specifically at you. I just meant in general. There is even a Simpsons episode where they visit Australia and the people in the pub are drinking Fosters. :P

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/23/17 at 12:36 am

I wasn't directing that specifically at you. I just meant in general. There is even a Simpsons episode where they visit Australia and the people in the pub are drinking Fosters. :P

I mean...I guess that we all have misconceptions about other countries.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 06/23/17 at 12:37 am

I mean...I guess that we all have misconceptions about other countries.

True.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/23/17 at 1:47 am

It is a popular beer, however I don't think it's the most popular. If i'm not mistaken, VB and Toohey's New are the most popular beers.
The two other beers you mentioned I have not heard of before, how do the drinks taste?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 06/23/17 at 2:05 am

The two other beers you mentioned I have not heard of before, how do the drinks taste?

Even though i'm of legal drinking age, I've never tried alcohol before, so I couldn't tell you at first hand how they taste. However, apparently VB is quite bitter, while Tooheys New is balanced between having a bitter and sweet flavour.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/23/17 at 2:06 am

Even though i'm of legal drinking age, I've never tried alcohol before, so I couldn't tell you at first hand how they taste. However, apparently VB is quite bitter, while Tooheys New is balanced between having a bitter and sweet flavour.
I understand your situation, but thanks for the information.

Written By: Howard on 06/23/17 at 7:27 am

All I remember is that one hit he had. ???

Written By: aja675 on 06/28/17 at 10:00 am

One might argue that this one Eurovision forum I'm in is going through its own Aussie phase.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/30/17 at 1:35 am

One might argue that this one Eurovision forum I'm in is going through its own Aussie phase.
Yes, it is strange that Australia partake in The Eurovision Song Contest?

Written By: aja675 on 06/30/17 at 2:44 am

Yes, it is strange that Australia partake in The Eurovision Song Contest?
No, I'm talking about something else.

Written By: aja675 on 06/30/17 at 10:36 am

The people there are obsessed with the bitchy schoolgirl character Ja'mie King and the woman who announces Australia's votes in ESC.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/30/17 at 10:50 pm

No, I'm talking about something else.
okey dokey!

Written By: aja675 on 07/03/17 at 10:34 am

And it's also going through a Brazilian phase with its obsession with Gretchen and Cuca.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/04/17 at 5:27 am

...and no mention of Crowded House? One of the most successful bands to come from Australia.

Written By: DesiredUsernameWasTaken on 07/04/17 at 11:07 am

...and no mention of Crowded House? One of the most successful bands to come from Australia.

So was INXS.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 07/04/17 at 6:43 pm

So was INXS.

INXS were one of the biggest bands in the world, at one point.

Indeed. They were very successful in the Late 80s and Early 90s.

Written By: oingo_fan on 07/14/17 at 6:34 pm

And then there's the precursor of the Energizer Bunny!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2RSu9Gw61U

Written By: Howard on 07/15/17 at 3:19 pm

And then there's the precursor of the Energizer Bunny!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2RSu9Gw61U

Written By: Howard on 07/15/17 at 3:20 pm

I think I remember this commercial. ???

Written By: oingo_fan on 07/15/17 at 9:02 pm

You remember him too!

Written By: Howard on 07/16/17 at 4:56 am

You remember him too!

The face looks familiar.

Written By: dbutler69 on 08/10/17 at 12:39 pm

All this talk of Aussie influence and no mention of Yahoo Serious?  :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/10/17 at 12:58 pm

...or Kevin "Bloody" Wilson?

Written By: Elor on 08/17/17 at 1:58 pm

Spam reported.
How can someone like that have 210 posts without being banned? ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...