inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What was the last original synthpop song?

Written By: DesiredUsernameWasTaken on 07/05/17 at 3:58 pm

Most people seem to associate synthpop with the late 1970s and early-to-mid 80s, when the genre was defined by its primary use of synthesizers, drum machines and sequencers, songs like Take On Me, I Ran, Shake It Up, Cars, Kids In America etc are good examples of this kind of synthpop. By 1986 the original synthpop sound seemed to fade away with the old analog synths being replaced with a more dance-oriented beat. However, what would you say was the last song to have the original synthpop sound of the late 70's/early 80's? My guess would be "The Great Commandment" by the German synthpop band Camouflage from 1987;

Camouflage - The Great Commandment
qH1v5njH0CI

Subject: Re: What was the last original synthpop song?

Written By: DesiredUsernameWasTaken on 07/05/17 at 10:15 pm

Either that or Steve Winwood's "Valerie".

Written By: #Infinity on 07/05/17 at 11:17 pm

Either that or Steve Winwood's "Valerie".

You're aware that the song was remixed for 1987, correct?

Men without Hats' "Pop Goes the World," released in 1987 and popular around the turn of 1988, might count as this. It's quite different from "The Safety Dance," but it definitely fits in with the general uptempo synthpop style of a lot of music released in the early-to-mid-80s.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 07/06/17 at 7:33 am

This song from 1989 was a big top 40 and that has a very early 80's sound.

BizyD8WVJA0

And most synthpop from 1987 and 1988 doesn't really differ in sound from 1985/1986.

Written By: DesiredUsernameWasTaken on 07/06/17 at 3:31 pm

You're aware that the song was remixed for 1987, correct?

What does the original version even sound like? I can't find it anywhere on the internet.

Written By: #Infinity on 07/06/17 at 3:35 pm

What does the original version even sound like? I can't find it anywhere on the internet.

1982:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=cbKNICg-REA

1987:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=RriQt0ebFaw

In my opinion, the remix isn't any less "dancey" than other synthpop songs from the late 1980s.

Written By: Howard on 07/06/17 at 3:45 pm

1982:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=cbKNICg-REA

1987:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=RriQt0ebFaw

In my opinion, the remix isn't any less "dancey" than other synthpop songs from the late 1980s.

I like the first one.

Written By: DesiredUsernameWasTaken on 08/02/17 at 6:25 pm

Bump.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/02/17 at 6:54 pm

Bump.

Again, Men without Hats' "Pop Goes the World" was really the last early-mid-80s-style synthpop song to achieve significant chart success. Right before that, there was The Cars' "You Are the Girl."

Written By: DesiredUsernameWasTaken on 08/02/17 at 6:59 pm

Again, Men without Hats' "Pop Goes the World" was really the last early-mid-80s-style synthpop song to achieve significant chart success. Right before that, there was The Cars' "You Are the Girl."

I just wanted to bump the thread to get more opinions.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 08/06/17 at 12:02 am

I'd still say I Beg Your Pardon by Kan Kon is the last song to feature an early 80's synthpop sound.

Written By: DesiredUsernameWasTaken on 08/06/17 at 10:40 am

These are some songs from 1987 and 1988. Would you say they sound like early-mid 80's synthpop?

zzeNAUOp17c

_1lRWgSfb5g

jJUZXzovjs0

UPuXvpkOLmM

Written By: #Infinity on 08/06/17 at 12:24 pm

These are some songs from 1987 and 1988. Would you say they sound like early-mid 80's synthpop?

They're all late 80s synthpop. Too much business in those beats. The exception is the Debbie Harry track, which isn't really full-on synthpop but rather freestyle. I wouldn't even say "I Beg Your Pardon" is clearly first wave synthpop, either, since it has a fairly advanced sound and a similarly dancey beat as other tracks made at the same time. "You Are the Girl" and "Pop Goes the World" are really the final two hits that unambiguously represent early-mid-80s synthpop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zUUtf7gOe8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGf-sszK-qw

Wouldn't you say there's a pretty clear distinction between these and the examples you just listed?

Written By: DesiredUsernameWasTaken on 08/06/17 at 12:36 pm

Wouldn't you say there's a pretty clear distinction between these and the examples you just listed?

I guess so, expect for the New Order song, "True Faith" sounds like it could have come out in 1983, or so. It has that classic futurist sound of early 80's music.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/06/17 at 12:59 pm

I guess so, expect for the New Order song, "True Faith" sounds like it could have come out in 1983, or so. It has that classic futurist sound of early 80's music.

It still has a much busier beat, to my ears, than something like "Blue Monday."

Written By: JordanK1982 on 08/07/17 at 11:15 pm

Real Life remixed their '83 hit Send Me An Angel in 1989 (which charted higher on the hot 100) and it really doesn't too different from the original version, especially compared to other remixes like Valerie at least.

0R6WIbx8ysE

Check for new replies or respond here...