inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Early/Mid/Late 80s

Written By: BornIn86 on 07/28/17 at 9:52 pm

To all those who were old enough to remember the entire 80s, what made the early, mid, and late portions of the decade stand out from each other?

Bonus: what made the early 80s stand out from the late 70s and the late 80s stand out from the early 90s?

Subject: Re: Early/Mid/Late 80s

Written By: #Infinity on 07/29/17 at 11:17 am

Early 80s:

* Atari games and classic arcades are an enormous fad. They existed in the late 70s, but were not that popular yet and were still overshadowed by Pong consoles. Special mention goes to Pac-Man, who was so popular that he got his own top 10 hit.
* Post-disco. This was not a trend during the late 70s, during which regular disco songs like "I Will Survive" and "Y.M.C.A." still reigned supreme. These songs still had a familiar disco groove, but they employed more electric pianos and less orchestral backups.
* Ska-punk. Groups like Madness and The Specials were among the biggest hitmakers in Britain in the early 80s.
* In music, the lines between country and new wave were blurred in a very unusual way. Besides Olivia Newton-John making a stylistic leap into the future (though she had already changed upon the release of Totally Hot in late 1978), the pop charts in the early 1980s were dominated by singers like Kim Carnes, Juice Newton, and the song "Islands in the Stream."
* Rather few television shows stand out as being distinctly early 80s, but if you wanted to stretch it, you could say Greatest American Hero and The Dukes of Hazzard count as just that.

Mid 80s:

* Brat Pack movies. They first became a huge thing in 1984 with Sixteen Candles and remained significant through About Last Night in 1986.
* Synthpop with rhythms inspired by Thriller but production more along the lines of Prince's 1999. This was especially dominant around the 1984-1985 school year.
* Gaming is almost primarily concentrated in the computer market, due to the Video Game Crash of 1983 and the Nintendo Entertainment System not yet having become really popular.
* Some distinctly mid-80s television shows include The A-Team, Knight Rider, Airwolf, Inspector Gadget, and He-Man and the Masters of the Universe.
* Greed is good. You know the rest.
* If you were a music geek, then The Smiths were easily the hottest thing during the period. They actually achieved a considerable amount of chart success in their native UK, but in the United States, they were primarily college rock staples.
* Soundtracks albums in general were once again a serious deal, as they had been before with Grease and Saturday Night Fever. Footloose, Purple Rain, Beverly Hills Cop, Top Gun, Rocky IV, and even the Miami Vice soundtrack all produced multiple smash hits, while many others included at least one big hit single. Soundtracks remained hitmakers well beyond the mid-80s, but there was really no other time besides the mid-80s that they more virtually defined the charts.

Late 80s:

* Teen pop, mostly modeled after singers like Madonna, but with a more sugarcoated presentation. Debbie Gibson, Kylie Minogue (in the United States), and Tiffany were all massive during this period but fell off as soon as the early 90s rolled around. Rick Astley, Martika, New Kids on the Block, and Taylor Dayne still found some success in the early 90s, but were, far and large, at their peak in the late 80s. Wham! and New Edition were big teenybopper idols in the mid-80s, but they weren't of the freestyle genre that dominated late 80s teen pop.
* The second wave of hair metal, which not only far outmatched the first wave in popularity, but also brought several more bands to the forefront of music, like Poison, Warrant, Guns N' Roses, and White Lion. This craze began in late 1986 with Bon Jovi's Slippery When Wet and technically continued into the early 90s, but was particularly enormous in the late 80s.
* Popular music mostly looked to Janet Jackson's Control album as an inspiration. More than any other period, snare drums crashed, and synthesizers had a rough, edgy sound.
* The Cold War winds down. First, it was Gorbachev's Perestroika and Glasnost policies, then it was his summit meetings with Ronald Reagan, and finally it was the collapse of the Berlin Wall.
* The Nintendo Entertainment System. An absolute juggernaut during the late 80s in particular, before the Sega Genesis threatened Nintendo's synonymity with video games as a whole.
* Many of this period's biggest shows actually premiered in 1985, like Growing Pains, The Golden Girls, Jem, and Small Wonder. However, ALF and The Real Ghostbusters were pretty solidly confined to the late 80s. Also, this can be considered somewhat of a transitional period because cable networks were finally starting to become more popular, with the Fox Network debuting and slowly introducing some fairly revolutionary programming that challenged the status quo.
* Big hair was really in its peak during this period in particular. There was a bit of hairspray in the mid-80s too, but compared to the late 80s, it was still fairly conservative.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/29/17 at 11:49 am

Bonus: what made the early 80s stand out from the late 70s

The cultural 80s began in earnest with a big bang in  January, 1981. The election of Ronald Reagan as president in November 1980 and the assassination of John Lennon in December 1980 caused the tipping point. There was much of the 70s left in 1980, but by 1981 it was gone. I never saw a decade vanish so fast. Unlike the cultural 60s, which petered to a close at the end of 1972 and thus beginning the cultural 70s in 1973 (with reverberations of the 60s into 1974), the 80s began in 1981 with a very defined line. It was suddenly a different world. A regressive world, far from the progressiveness of the 60s and 70s. Tellingly, fashion took on a 50s slant. The groundbreaking (in it's way) punk of the late 70s kind of morphed into "new wave", safe, often silly, and not at all groundbreaking, despite the technology used.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/29/17 at 12:25 pm

Early 80s:* In music, the lines between country and new wave were blurred in a very unusual way. Besides Olivia Newton-John making a stylistic leap into the future (though she had already changed upon the release of Totally Hot in late 1978), the pop charts in the early 1980s were dominated by singers like Kim Carnes, Juice Newton, and the song "Islands in the Stream."

What an interesting observation! I'm not sure I really put 2 and 2 together before about that strange marriage of country and new wave. And speaking of this, not many have heard the original version of "Bette Davis Eyes" by it's author Jackie DeShannon from 1974. And rightfully so. It's bad. I don't really want to slag Jackie DeShannon, who was responsible for some interesting moments in 60s pop music and culture, but this thing is awful. I'm not sure if it's country, or what it is. Some sort of horn driven, Las Vegas-y lounge honky-tonk. The Kim Carnes remake is immensely better, though even that I can only take in small doses of as I am not the biggest aficionado in the world of early 80s new wave.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAQsOJbs-yo

Written By: Bab2781 on 07/31/17 at 9:25 am

I was 8 yrs old when the 80's ended. But I do remember certain things though...lol

Written By: 80sfan on 07/31/17 at 5:51 pm

The cultural 80s began in earnest with a big bang in  January, 1981. The election of Ronald Reagan as president in November 1980 and the assassination of John Lennon in December 1980 caused the tipping point. There was much of the 70s left in 1980, but by 1981 it was gone. I never saw a decade vanish so fast. Unlike the cultural 60s, which petered to a close at the end of 1972 and thus beginning the cultural 70s in 1973 (with reverberations of the 60s into 1974), the 80s began in 1981 with a very defined line. It was suddenly a different world. A regressive world, far from the progressiveness of the 60s and 70s. Tellingly, fashion took on a 50s slant. The groundbreaking (in it's way) punk of the late 70s kind of morphed into "new wave", safe, often silly, and not at all groundbreaking, despite the technology used.

When did the 80's end, culturally?

I know you're not the only point of view, but it's nice to hear someone who remembers all of the 80's.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/31/17 at 7:30 pm

When did the 80's end, culturally?

I know you're not the only point of view, but it's nice to hear someone who remembers all of the 80's.

Although I am crystal clear on when the cultural 80s began, I'm a little hazy on when they ended. I got so fed up with the silliness of 80s culture as the decade progressed, after having thoroughly absorbed the seriousness of the 60s and 70s  (disco notwithstanding), that I stopped paying attention. The cultural 80s probably ended sometime in the early 90s with the advent of grunge. I am not the biggest grunge fan, but it was refreshing after the cartoonish 80s rock stars and synthesizer new wave music. Bill Clinton's election had something to do with ending the cultural 80s also, after Reagan and George HW Bush. I'm sure someone can pinpoint dates more specifically. Maybe it was a bit earlier than that.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/31/17 at 8:26 pm

Although I am crystal clear on when the cultural 80s began, I'm a little hazy on when they ended. I got so fed up with the silliness of 80s culture as the decade progressed, after having thoroughly absorbed the seriousness of the 60s and 70s  (disco notwithstanding), that I stopped paying attention. The cultural 80s probably ended sometime in the early 90s with the advent of grunge. I am not the biggest grunge fan, but it was refreshing after the cartoonish 80s rock stars and synthesizer new wave music. Bill Clinton's election had something to do with ending the cultural 80s also, after Reagan and George HW Bush. I'm sure someone can pinpoint dates more specifically. Maybe it was a bit earlier than that.

Thank you.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 08/05/17 at 5:11 pm

To all those who were old enough to remember the entire 80s, what made the early, mid, and late portions of the decade stand out from each other?

Bonus: what made the early 80s stand out from the late 70s and the late 80s stand out from the early 90s?

The Late 70s (1975-1977)

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/cLS-nGaGkxo/hqdefault.jpghttp://www.thepeoplehistory.com/7sf/f76/1976thefonzjacket.jpg
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1201/2914/products/14b8cac40cd254d0711e7f70464b647e_1024x1024.jpg?v=1464884067

Popular TV Shows: The Six Million Dollar Man, All in the Family, Sanford and Son, Maude, Little House on the Prairie, M*A*S*H

New TV Shows: Happy Days, SNL, Laverne and Shirley, Three's Company, Alice, One Day at a Time, The Jeffersons

Movies: Jaws, Dog Day Afternoon, King Kong, Rocky, Star Wars, Annie Hall, Saturday Night Fever, The Kentucky Fried Movie, Pumping Iron

Clothes: Plaid Slacks, Velour Jumpsuits, Leisure Suits, Houndstooth Check Slacks, Polyester Chiffon Dresses

Clothing Trends and Fads: Rugby Style Pullovers, Skateboards, Fonzie Jackets, Punk Rock, The Hustle dance

Iconic Artists of this era: Elton John, Rod Stewart, Barry Manilow, KC and the Sunshine Band, Fleetwood Mac, KISS 

Events: The Disappearance of Jimmy Hoffa, The Presidential Election of 1976, The Death of Elvis

The '80s

The Early '80s

* First Half (1978-1980)/ When we were really living in the '80s

https://www.henson.com/jimsredbook/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/MS_MBerenson001.jpg
http://toyworth.com/browse/Darth/Vader/action/figure/Double/Telescoping/Lightsaber/1978//Star/Wars/Items/89/lrg-packaged-front.jpg
http://img.timeinc.net/time/magazine/archive/covers/1980/1101801117_400.jpg

Popular TV Shows: Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, Charlie's Angels, The Love Boat, Fantasy Island, Alice, Super Friends, The Muppet Show, Sesame Street, SNL, Soul Train

New TV Shows: Dallas, Diff'rent Strokes, Mork & Mindy, Battlestar Galactica, Angie, Taxi, The Incredible Hulk, CHiPs, Dukes of Hazzard, That's Incredible, Magnum PI, Solid Gold

Movies: Superman the Movie, Up in Smoke, Grease, Halloween, Alien, Apocalypse Now, Kramer vs. Kramer, The Muppet Movie, The Empire Strikes Back, Caddyshack, Urban Cowboy, Airplane!, Xanadu, 9 to 5, Superman 2, Prom Night, Friday the 13th

Clothes: Rugby Style Pullovers, Punk fashion, Dolfin striped running shorts, Ditto jeans, Tennis headbands, Turtlenecks, Tube socks, Ruffle belts, Leather jackets, Ringer tees

Fads: 'Star Wars' toys, Candie's shoes, Cycling hats, Color Arcade games, tracksuits, Checkered clothing, Mattel electronic handheld games

Iconic Artists of this era: Bee Gees, The Commodores, Queen, Donna Summer, Blonde, Pat Benatar, Kenny Rogers, Michael Jackson, Devo

Events: Pope John Paul II is elected Pope at Vatican City, Jimmy Carter's Swamp Rabbit Incident, 1979 Energy Crisis, Coke and Pop Rocks Incident, Miracle on Ice, 1980 Presidential Election, The Murder of John Lennon

* Second Half (1981-1983)

https://i0.wp.com/jacksonupperco.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/b5456ab9f08d3d33aa751fa80ebb443e4ae6d2a0.jpg?ssl=1https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/01/aa/53/01aa5317f7d94d8fa7cdd223598bb413.jpghttp://www.crankycritic.com/archive/posters/rocky3.jpg

Popular TV Shows: Dallas, The Dukes of Hazzard, The Jeffersons, Too Close for Comfort, Hart to Hart, Archie Bunker's Place, Magnum PI, Solid Gold

New TV Shows: Bosom Buddies, Simon & Simon, Fridays, Hill Street Blues, Dynasty, Fame, Square Pegs, TJ Hooker,  Silver Spoons, Joanie Loves Chachi, Family Ties, The A-Team, Knight Rider, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe

Movies: Porky's, Arthur, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Clash of the Titans, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Annie, Tootsie, Pink Floyd: The Wall, The Toy, Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior, Rocky 3, National Lampoon's Vacation, Flashdance, Valley Girl, Jaws 3-D, Star Wars: Return of the Jedi, Mr. Mom, WarGames, Scarface

Clothes: Rugby Style Pullovers, Rugby polo shirts, Preppy fashion,  Jordache jeans, Turtlenecks, Shirts with iron-on decals on them, Punk fashion, Aerobics fashion, Puffy down vests, tennis headbands, Underoos, Dolfin striped running shorts, Leather jackets

Fads: Disco Sucks memorabilia, Vans, Strawberry Shortcake dolls, Member's Only jackets, Unisex Baseball shirts, Rubik's Cube, ColecoVision vs. Atari 2600,  KangaROOs, McDonald's food, Cabbage Patch Kids dolls, Wacky wall walkers, Jheri curls, Skinny ties, Sunglasses

Iconic Artists of this era: Foreigner, REO Speedwagon, The Clash, Tommy Tutone,  Kool and the Gang, Journey, Chicago, The Steve Miller Band, Toto, Bonnie Tyler, Billy Joel, Michael Jackson

Events: Attempted Assassination of Ronald Reagan, Pope John Paul II Assassination Attempt, The Royal Wedding, John Belushi dies, The Tylenol Scare, KISS takes off their makeup, Jerry Falwell vs. Larry Flynt

The Mid '80s (1984-1986)

http://anitown.net/files/attach/images/86/713/153/001/3bd244b4108baf2669f6dcf691ec3e77.jpghttps://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/37/8f/46/378f460ff602d0ac3019b20a7f6ca5df.jpghttps://images.pristineauction.com/47/477568/main_1-Huey-Lewis-Signed-Huey-Lewis-and-the-News-Sports-Record-Album-PSA-COA-PristineAuction.com.jpg

Popular TV Shows: Dynasty, Dallas, Cagney and Lacy, The A-Team, Family Ties, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, Smurfs, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Inspector Gadget, Webster, Cheers, Falcon Crest, Newhart, AfterMASH, The Facts of Life, Love Connection, Wheel of Fortune

New TV Shows: Miami Vice, Murder She Wrote, Night Court, The Cosby Show, Punky Brewster, Riptide, Transformers, Growing Pains, Small Wonder, Moonlighting, MacGyver, Care Bears, 227, ALF, Double Dare, Amen, Designing Women, Head of the Class, Perfect Strangers

Movies: Footloose, The Terminator, Sixteen Candles, This is Spinal Tap, Purple Rain, Beverly Hills Cop, Breakin', Gremlins, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Karate Kid, Police Academy, Ghostbusters, Dune, The Last Starfighter, The Goonies, Re-Animator, Fletch, Cocoon, Desperately Seeking Susan, Rambo: First Blood Part II, The Breakfast Club, St. Elmo's Fire, Weird Science, Spies Like Us, Back to the Future, Crocodile Dundee, Pretty in Pink, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Karate Kid 2, Stand By Me, Top Gun, Short Circuit, Aliens, Little Shop of Horrors, Howard the Duck, Labyrinth, She's Gotta Have It, An American Tail

Clothes: "Beat It" Jackets, "Thriller" Jackets, The New Romantic look, Freezy Freakies gloves, Sunglasses, Unisex Baseball Tees, United Colors of Benetton, Calvin Klein jeans, Brooks Brothers, MTV t-shirts, Member's Only jackets, breakdancing clothes (i.e. - parachute pants), Cropped tops, Rugby style pullovers, Tube socks, Tracksuits, Muscle shirts, Leather pants, Punk fashion, Leotards, Slouch socks, Headbands, Mini skirts with leggings, Dolfin striped running shorts, Black leather jackets, Turtlenecks

Fads: T-shirts under slightly unbuttoned shirts, I Love NY shirts, Ghostbusters logo shirts, Polo shirts with upturned collars, Tank tops, "Where's the Beef?" shirts, Band t-shirts, Sleeveless Jean Jacket Vests, Varsity jackets, Protest T-shirts (i.e. - Choose Life shirts), Hawaiian shirts, Print button down shirts,  Wrestling, The Madonnabe look, Dayglo, Small polka dot pattern shirts, Big hair, Coca Cola Rugby sweaters, The Miami Vice look, sideways cap Swatches, Adidas Run DMC gear, Double Denim look, Kangol hats, brown Aviator jackets, Jams shorts, Men's sweaters with shoulder and elbow patches on them, Baby on Board signs, T-shirts with rolled up sleeves, OP shirts, Garbage Pail Kids cards, The Goth Look, Chalkline Starter jacket, College sweaters, Sushi

Iconic Artists of this era: Culture Club, Madonna, WHAM!, Duran Duran, Lionel Richie, Stevie Wonder, Huey Lewis and the News, Human League

Events: 1984 Summer Olympics, The Presidential Election of 1984, "We Are the World", LIVE AID, Crack cocaine appears, New Coke is introduced, Rock Hudson dies of AIDS, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s birthday becomes a holiday, The Challenger explodes, Hands Across America, Comic Relief USA debuts, The return of Haley's Comet

The Late '80s (1987-1989)/ When we were all getting tired of the '80s

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/45/07/0b/45070b658acf62d1e929600335db2d28--alf-doll-plush-dolls.jpghttp://www.defynewyork.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Screen-shot-2011-10-23-at-12.12.00-AM.pnghttp://images.eil.com/large_image/SAMANTHA_FOX_I%2BWANNA%2BHAVE%2BSOME%2BFUN-16090.jpg

Popular TV Shows: ALF, Mr. Belvedere, The Cosby Show, Miami Vice, Family Ties, 'Murder, She Wrote', The Golden Girls, Kate & Allie, Night Court, Moonlighting, 'Who's The Boss?', The Oprah Winfrey Show, LA Law, Perfect Strangers, The People's Court, Matlock, Cheers, The Hogan Family, Growing Pains, Head of the Class, Wheel of Fortune, Small Wonder, Thundercats, The Real Ghostbusters, Pee Wee's Playhouse, Hunter, Designing Women, Amen, Dance Party USA

New TV Shows: 21 Jump Street, Married with Children, The Tracey Ullman Show, My Two Dads, 'Win, Lose, or Draw', The Morton Downey Jr. Show, Thirtysomething, MTV's Remote Control, Club MTV, Beauty and the Beast, Unsolved Mysteries, Full House, A Different World, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, 'Yo! MTV Raps, The Wonder Years, Roseanne, Dear John, Empty Nest, Roseanne, In the Heat of the Night, Anything But Love, The Arsenio Hall Show, Quantum Leap, COPS, MTV's House of Style, Rescue 911, Doogie Howser MD, Family Matters, Major Dad, American Gladiators, Baywatch, Saved by the Bell

Movies: Dirty Dancing, La Bamba, Who's That Girl, The Lost Boys, Three Men and a Baby, Revenge of the Nerds II, A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors, Hellraiser, Over the Top, Robocop, Predator, The Untouchables, Wall Street, Hollywood Shuffle, Less Than Zero, Lethal Weapon, Spaceballs, The Princess Bride, Flowers in the Attic, License to Drive, Beetlejuice, Working Girl, Big, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, School Daze, Beaches, Mississipi Burning, Colors, A Fish Called Wanda, Young Guns, Willow, Tougher Than Leather, Coming To America, Child's Play, They Live, Rain Man, Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, Heathers, Dream a Little Dream, Lean on Me, Say Anything, Parenthood, Weekend at Bernie's, Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, Ghostbusters 2, Lethal Weapon 2, Batman, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, No Holds Barred, Steel Magnolias,  Driving Miss Daisy, Do the Right Thing, When Harry Met Sally, The Little Mermaid, Uncle Buck, Back to the Future 2, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, Tango and Cash, Turner and Hooch, All Dogs Go to Heaven

Clothes: Adidas crewneck sweatshirts, College sweaters, The Miami Vice look, The Goth look, T&C Surfwear, New York Mets clothes, The Yuppie look, Wide Vertical striped button down shirts, Max Headroom shirts, Rude Dog shirts, Swatches, Chalkline Starter jackets, Tank tops, All things LA Gear, Crucifix jewelry, Print button down shirts, 'I'm with Stupid' shirts, Sleeveless Jean Jacket Vests, Denim jackets, Pastel shirts with the sleeves rolled up, Rugby Style Pullovers,  Dolfin striped running shorts, Coca Cola Rugby sweatshirts, band t-shirts, Kangol hats, Mickey Mouse shirts, Air Jordans, Sideways cap, Small polka dot pattern shirts, Striped knit sweaters, U-Men sweaters, Tracksuits, Jumpsuits, Varsity jackets, Top Gun shirts

Clothing trends and Fads:  Nintendo, Cinnamon buns, Army fashion, Bicycle shorts, Bolo ties, Cosby sweaters, Jolt cola, Aviator jackets with the patches on them, Side ponytails, Acid wash clothes, Fido Dido shirts, Vests, Colored Converse High Tops, Z. Cavaricci pleated pants, Generra sweatshirts, Gitano sweatshirts, overalls, MCM clothes, High Waisted Foldover Denim jeans, Tie Dye shirts, Paisley shirts, Huffy bikes, Double Pocket button down shirt, ALF shirts, California Raisins shirts, Thin silver chains, Espirit, Cardigans, Ripped jeans, NIKE gear, Quiksilver, Shoulderless blouse, Volleyball, Double Dare shirts, Mock turtlenecks, Hair highlights, Rattails, Zap-It water guns, Jumpman shirts, Asymmetrical bob haircuts, Women's Cropped Denim Jackets, Troop jackets, Levi 501 jeans, Used jeans, Baseball cards, Pictionary, Tiger Beat magazine, Chia Pets, Vision Street Wear, Spuds McKenzie shirts, Floral print sweaters, Blossom hats, Neon, Leather African medallions, Rayon shirts, Peace logo shirts, Mini pianos, Garfield 'Hang On' dolls, The Running Man dance, Scrunchies, Electric Youth perfume, Batman shirts, New York Yankees shirts, Friendship bracelets, Camp Beverly Hills clothes,Tribal print sweaters, Beepers, Fanny packs, The Noid, Rock 'N Roll Flowers, Two tone sweaters, Flip-up sunglasses, High top fade haircut, Hair tattoos, Frozen Yogurt, Tex Mex, The Pixie haircut, Muscle pants, Ellesse sneakers, Filas, Shirts with side knots, Hard Rock Cafe shirts, Gold's Gym shirts, Dresses with pants underneath, Choose Your Own Adventure books, R/C cars, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles action figures, 'Don't Worry, Be Happy' shirts, Gumby haircut, The Step haircut, International News sweaters, Air brushed shirts, Caboodles, Beatles shirts

Iconic Artists of this era: Madonna, Michael Jackson, Samantha Fox, The Jets, Bon Jovi, Gloria Estefan and the Miami Sound Machine, Whitney Houston,  Bruce Hornsby and the Range, Janet Jackson, Anita Baker, Phil Collins, The Pet Shop Boys, The Bangles, Blow Monkeys, Curiosity Killed the Cat

Events: The Jimmy Bakker Scandal, Ronald Reagan apologizes for his role in the Iran-Contra affair, Baby Jessica falls down the well, 'Black Monday', Robin Givens files for divorce from Mike Tyson, The 1988 Presidential Election, Sonny Bono becomes Mayor in Palm Springs, The Exxon Valdez oil spill, The fall of the Berlin Wall, Zsa Zsa Gabor slaps a cop

The Early '90s (1990-1992)/Best Part of the ‘90s

http://images.eil.com/large_image/MC_HAMMER_U%2BCANT%2BTOUCH%2BTHIS-550583.jpghttp://www.gunaxin.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/tmnt2.jpghttp://www.thedailysheeple.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/317213_5_.jpg

Popular TV Shows: The Arsenio Hall Show, Quantum Leap, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Married with Children, The Wonder Years, Roseanne, A Different World, Full House, LA Law, Cheers, The Cosby Show, Family Matters, Unsolved Mysteries, In the Heat of the Night, Yo! MTV Raps, Coach, Saved by the Bell, Murphy Brown, Major Dad, Empty Nest, Rescue 911, American Gladiators, Life Goes On, SNL

New TV Shows: The Simpsons, Supermarket Sweep, Twin Peaks, Wings, In Living Color, Northern Exposure, Blossom, Tiny Toon Adventures,  The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, Parker Lewis Can't Lose, Cop Rock, Beverly Hills 90210, Evening Shade, Dinosaurs, Home Improvement, The Ren and Stimpy Show, Rugrats, Studs, Herman's Head, The Jerry Springer Show, The Maury Povich Show, Talk Soup, MTV's The Real World, Barney and Friends, Martin, Melrose Place, Hangin' with Mr. Cooper, Mad About You, Picket Fences

Movies: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, House Party, The Forbidden Dance, Pretty Woman, Goodfellas, Gremlins 2: The New Batch, Young Guns 2, Die Hard 2, Ghost, Days of Thunder, Dick Tracy, Dances with Wolves, Child's Play 2, Edward Scissorhands, Home Alone, The Silence of the Lambs, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: Secret of the Ooze, Madonna's Truth or Dare, Scenes from a Mall, Point Break, Thelma and Louise, New Jack City, Boyz N The Hood, Bill and Ted’s Bogus Journey, My Girl, Career Opportunities, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, Terminator 2: Judgement Day, Jungle Fever, The Rocketeer, Cape Fear, Beauty and the Beast, JFK, An American Tail 2: Fievel Goes West, The Addams Family, Hook, Wayne's World, The Crying Game, White Men Can’t Jump, Beethoven, Single White Female, Basic Instinct, Batman Returns, Lethal Weapon 3, Alien 3, A League of Their Own, Reservoir Dogs, The Bodyguard, Singles, Aladdin, Bram Stroker's Dracula, The Player, Home Alone 2: Lost in New York

Clothes: Triple Fat Goose jackets, Bolero jackets, The Debbie Gibson hat, Body Glove, College sweaters, Quiksilver shirts, Tribal surfer shirts, Pocket tees, Fanny packs, Biker shorts, I.O.U. sweatshirts, Braided leather belts, Used Jeans, Bugle Boy jeans, Acid wash, Scrunchies, Bolo ties, Cyclist hats, Body suits, Sideways caps, Shoulderless blouse, Skorts, Girbaud jeans, Big Polka Dot Pattern Dress Shirts, Reebok Pumps, Air Jordans, Vuarnet Sunglasses, Verical striped shorts, Espirit, Vertical striped button down shirts, Custom varsity jackets, Band t-shirts, Air brushed shirts, Oakland A’s shirts, Pastel shirts, Ruffle skirts, American flag shirts, Mock turtlenecks, Overalls, Shortalls, Neon, Z. Cavaricci pleated pants, Leather African medallions, NY Yankees jerseys, NIKE AIR shirts, 'Bo Knows' shirts, High Waisted Foldover denim pants, Cropped denim jackets, Cardigans, Cosby sweaters, High top sneakers, Friendship bracelets, Batman logo shirts, 'Don't Worry, Be Happy' shirts, Muscle pants, Happy pants, Malcolm X shirts, Leggings, Stussy shirts, Big Dog, International News, Volleyball t-shirts, Blazers with the sleeves rolled up, Two shirts (i.e.- black and neon pink) with the double layer roll, Hooded sweaters, Pepe Jeans, Flip-up glasses, Save the Rainforest shirts

Clothing trends and Fads: K Swiss sneakers, Curly shoelaces, Pop Swatches, Bart Simpson shirts, Lambada shirts, Rhythm Nation metal plate hats, Bungee jumping, Skidz clothing, BUM Equipment sweaters, Backwards baseball caps, College football team sweatshirts, Guess Jeans, Hugo Boss, Cross Colors shirts and pants, Baggy pants, 8 Ball jackets, Keds, Slap bracelets, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles action figures (again), Straight hair, Umbros shorts, Bandanas, Zubaz, Black Patrick Ewing sneakers, Chip and Pepper, Banana Republic, GAP, Birkenstocks, Mood rings, Shirt clips, Overalls with one strap down, Jorts, “I’ve Fallen and I Can’t Get Up” shirts, Rollerblades, Ikeda jeans with the lock, Hypercolor, Super Soakers, Malcolm X hats, Baja sweaters, Charlotte Hornets clothes, Starter puffer jackets, Oakley sunglasses, Where’s Waldo books, Mossimo, Undercut haircut, Nose piercings, Jeeps, Troll dolls, Sonic the Hedgehog, Major Damage jeans, Champion clothing,  Thighmaster, Polo Sport, Bongo Jeans, African American College Alliance sweaters,  Ren and Stimpy shirts, The Grunge look, Timberland boots, Karl Kani, No Fear shirts , Bell bottoms return, The Achy Breaky Heart dance, Rave wear, Red Eraser shirts, Yaga clothing

Iconic Artists of this era: Technotronic, Paula Abdul, New Kids on the Block, Bobby Brown, Sinead O’ Connor, George Michael, MC Hammer/Hammer, Madonna, Al B Sure, Rick Astley, Michael Bolton, Guns ‘N Roses, Jane’s Addiction, Public Enemy, Extreme, Sonic Youth, Stevie B, N.W.A., Richard Marx, Babyface

Events: Nelson Mandela is released from prison, 1990 Tax Hike, East and West Germany reunited, The Gulf War, Planet Hollywood opens, The first Lollapalooza, The Clarence Thomas and Anita Hill sexual harassment hearings, The Pee-Wee Herman scandal, Dissolution of the Soviet Union, George HW Bush vomits on Japan’s prime minister, 1992 Winter and Summer Olympics, Crystal Pepsi is introduced, The LA Riots, Woody Allen marries his stepdaughter, The 1992 Presidential Elections, Dan Quayle misspells 'potato', The Amy Fisher Trial

Written By: annimal on 08/05/17 at 5:46 pm

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Married with Children, The Wonder Years, Full House,  Cheers, The Cosby Show, Family Matters, Saved by the Bell, Murphy Brown, Major Dad, and Rescue 911  all sound familiar

It's all right because I forgot oh well

Check for new replies or respond here...