inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: You're a 80s kid if

Written By: d90 on 10/08/17 at 4:18 am

1. You remember where you were when the Challenger incident occured.
2 You watched Alvin and the Chipmunks, Alf, DuckTales, and the Smurfs
3. You played 8 bit videogames
4. You remember when you first used a VCR, a computer and the first time you played a Cd.
5. You remember when Michael Jackson was in his prime

Subject: Re: You're a 80s kid if

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/08/17 at 4:21 am

Read the above as "You're a parent of an 80s kid if..."

Written By: Howard on 10/08/17 at 7:10 am

I read it in the Daily News.
I definitely watched them growing up as a kid.
Atari 2600 was one of them.
4. You remember when you first used a VCR, a computer and the first time you played a Cd. I do remember them.
This was way before he bleached his skin.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/08/17 at 10:07 am

4. You remember when you first used a VCR, a computer and the first time you played a Cd.

Well, I was an 80's young adult (ages 19-29) but #1, 4, and 5 apply to me too... 

Written By: Howard on 10/08/17 at 12:42 pm

Well, I was an 80's young adult (ages 19-29) but #1, 4, and 5 apply to me too...

What about numbers 2 and 3? ???

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/08/17 at 4:39 pm

What about numbers 2 and 3? ???

#2 - I was too old for "kid's shows".  Alf wasn't strictly a "kid's show", but I wasn't a fan - his personality grated on me.
#3 - Never had the big game consoles at home - that was something "for kids" (I know some of my peers had them, particularly male peers, but I never had a big interest).  I had plenty other stuff to keep me busy.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/08/17 at 5:05 pm

Alvin and the Chipmunks date back to the late 50s. They first made a giant splash with heir hit record  "The Chipmunk Song (Christmas Don't Be Late)" in 1958. Their highly popular animated series ran from 1961-1962 and was rerun throughout the 60s.  Of course, they made enough "comebacks" in the late 70s through today that they  an be considered perennials, like the Muppets, in a way. But I would argue that Alvin and the Chipmunks are a 60s phenomenon rather than an 80s one.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/08/17 at 7:44 pm

Alvin and the Chipmunks date back to the late 50s. ... Their highly popular animated series ran from 1961-1962 and was rerun throughout the 60s. ...

Indeed - I watched Alvin and the Chipmunks plenty during the early/mid 1960s, as a little one - I just didn't watch it during the 1980's, as a 20-something I had outgrown the pursuit of cartoons.

Written By: d90 on 10/08/17 at 8:16 pm

Alvin and the Chipmunks date back to the late 50s. They first made a giant splash with heir hit record  "The Chipmunk Song (Christmas Don't Be Late)" in 1958. Their highly popular animated series ran from 1961-1962 and was rerun throughout the 60s.  Of course, they made enough "comebacks" in the late 70s through today that they  an be considered perennials, like the Muppets, in a way. But I would argue that Alvin and the Chipmunks are a 60s phenomenon rather than an 80s one.
The Alvin Show also had reruns on the show called Weinerville on Nickelodeon in the mid 90s

Written By: 2001 on 10/08/17 at 9:24 pm

#2 - I was too old for "kid's shows".  Alf wasn't strictly a "kid's show", but I wasn't a fan - his personality grated on me.
#3 - Never had the big game consoles at home - that was something "for kids" (I know some of my peers had them, particularly male peers, but I never had a big interest).  I had plenty other stuff to keep me busy.

I think I remember you saying you played video games in the '90s?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/08/17 at 10:17 pm

I think I remember you saying you played video games in the '90s?

Well - in the 90's, not too much (other than occasional visits to Dave & Busters).  I played a lot more in the early/mid 80's as a college student. Then, I just pumped quarters into the arcade games at school.  There were only two I played a lot - Mrs. Pacman and Pole Position.  The latter was my favorite, although I played lots of both.  Once in a great while I played Donkey Kong but I liked the other two better.

Now, my first love was pinball - I got into that in the late 70's.  I spent a small fortune on those pinball games at my dorm, a quarter at a time  ;D

Written By: Howard on 10/09/17 at 4:58 am

I loved ALF in fact My Father was a fan of ALF, he has videotapes of when he taped almost all the shows from 1986. Don't know if he has all the episodes? ???

Written By: Howard on 10/09/17 at 4:59 am

Indeed - I watched Alvin and the Chipmunks plenty during the early/mid 1960s, as a little one - I just didn't watch it during the 1980's, as a 20-something I had outgrown the pursuit of cartoons.

So what were you watching?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/09/17 at 6:16 am

So what were you watching?

My favorite 80's show - contender for my all-time favorite - Remington Steele.  I also liked Dallas, the A-Team, Family Ties, Cosby show, Miami Vice, Moonlighting, Cheers, and a host of other 80's gems.  Plus newsy stuff like 60 Minutes.  Grown up shows...

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/09/17 at 6:25 am

I loved ALF in fact My Father was a fan of ALF, he has videotapes of when he taped almost all the shows from 1986. Don't know if he has all the episodes? ???

Do you ever catch Alf reruns?  On Me-TV (I don't know this station's reach) they've been airing Alf reruns in Primetime for the past several months.  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/09/17 at 6:35 am

ALf was on my watch list back then.

Written By: robby76 on 10/09/17 at 8:47 am

My favorite 80's show - contender for my all-time favorite - Remington Steele

Remington Steele is my all-time favourite 80s show too. All 5 seasons are just amazing. Love the comedy elements - has a bit of everything.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/10/17 at 1:11 pm

6. You remember when punk subculture was taking its stand.
7. You watched Punky Brewster, Webster, The Facts of Life, and Diff'rent Strokes.
8. You went from having your parents buy the original Star Wars action figures by Kenner to having them purchase muscular action figures like Lion-O and He-man. 
9. Your favorite magazine was Dynamite by Scholastic Inc..
10. You owned a Power Cycle or a Big Wheel bike.
11. You remember children and teens break-dancing on the sidewalk. 

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/10/17 at 1:23 pm

You know you're an '80s kid if this recent GEICO commercial brings back childhood memories:

KKLQnJqreaI

Written By: Howard on 10/10/17 at 1:55 pm

My favorite 80's show - contender for my all-time favorite - Remington Steele.  I also liked Dallas, the A-Team, Family Ties, Cosby show, Miami Vice, Moonlighting, Cheers, and a host of other 80's gems.  Plus newsy stuff like 60 Minutes.  Grown up shows...

You didn't like Jem And The Holograms or My Little Pony?

Written By: Howard on 10/10/17 at 2:01 pm

Do you ever catch Alf reruns?  On Me-TV (I don't know this station's reach) they've been airing Alf reruns in Primetime for the past several months.  :)

We do have Me-TV and I think My Father and I have caught some episodes from 30 years ago.
Our station's reach is Spectrum TV and it's channel 1239.

Written By: Howard on 10/10/17 at 2:02 pm

ALf was on my watch list back then.

He always loved to catch The Tanner's cat.  ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/10/17 at 2:07 pm

You didn't like Jem And The Holograms or My Little Pony?

She wasn't a little girl Howard. She was a young woman...those were cartoons targeted at little girls ;D.

Written By: Howard on 10/10/17 at 2:07 pm

6. You remember when punk subculture was taking its stand.
7. You watched Punky Brewster, Webster, The Facts of Life, and Diff'rent Strokes.
8. You went from having your parents buy the original Star Wars action figures by Kenner to having them purchase muscular action figures like Lion-O and He-man. 
9. Your favorite magazine was Dynamite by Scholastic Inc..
10. You owned a Power Cycle or a Big Wheel bike.
11. You remember children and teens break-dancing on the sidewalk.

Those were my favorites except Webster, that was my least favorite but I was more attached to Different Strokes and Punky Brewster back then. Does anyone remember the finale to Different Strokes and Punky? I think DS ended in 1986 and Punky had ended in 1986 as well, not sure about that. ???

Written By: Howard on 10/10/17 at 2:08 pm

You know you're an '80s kid if this recent GEICO commercial brings back childhood memories:

KKLQnJqreaI

I do remember He-Man.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/10/17 at 6:31 pm

Those were my favorites except Webster, that was my least favorite but I was more attached to Different Strokes and Punky Brewster back then. Does anyone remember the finale to Different Strokes and Punky? I think DS ended in 1986 and Punky had ended in 1986 as well, not sure about that. ???

Punky Brewster ended in '88, one year before Small Wonder went off the air.

Written By: d90 on 10/10/17 at 6:59 pm

12. You debated with your classmates whether Atari 2600, Intellivison or Colecovision was better
13. You remember the Cold War
14. You watched Saturday Morning cartoons when there was no such thing as E/I
15. You laughed when Clara Peller asked "Where's the beef?"
16.You watched Kidsongs, and Wee Sing.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/10/17 at 8:09 pm

12. You debated with your classmates whether Atari 2600, Intellivison or Colecovision was better
13. You remember the Cold War
14. You watched Saturday Morning cartoons when there was no such thing as E/I
15. You laughed when Clara Peller asked "Where's the beef?"
16.You watched Kidsongs, and Wee Sing.

'90s kids did that too.

Written By: robby76 on 10/10/17 at 11:09 pm

Those were my favorites except Webster, that was my least favorite but I was more attached to Different Strokes and Punky Brewster back then.

I bought seasons 2 and 3 of Webster on dvd - the comedy still holds up in places. George Papadopoulos is quite the entertainer.

Punky Brewster had a one year gap in production when they switched to syndication. So yes in ended it '86 but was back the year after for another 2 seasons.

Written By: Elor on 10/11/17 at 4:55 am

KKLQnJqreaI
That does bring back memories. ;D

Written By: Howard on 10/11/17 at 2:34 pm

Punky Brewster ended in '88, one year before Small Wonder went off the air.

Small Wonder was a funny sitcom but it had a very short shelf life.

Written By: Howard on 10/11/17 at 2:36 pm

I bought seasons 2 and 3 of Webster on dvd - the comedy still holds up in places. George Papadopoulos is quite the entertainer.

Punky Brewster had a one year gap in production when they switched to syndication. So yes in ended it '86 but was back the year after for another 2 seasons.

I hated the season finale of Punky Brewster, her dog got married. ::)

Written By: violet_shy on 10/17/17 at 2:25 pm

Yes! I remember it all. Only thing is when the Challenger incident happened I didn't understand what had occurred. I was too young and nobody explained it to me. I can only remember watching it on TV. As for the 8 bit video games, my family owned an Intellivision back then. We had a game called Burger Time which was kinda fun lol.

Written By: Elor on 10/17/17 at 3:24 pm

You're a European child of the early 80ies if you can remember Chernobyl.... :-\\  8-P

Written By: Howard on 10/18/17 at 2:35 pm

Yes! I remember it all. Only thing is when the Challenger incident happened I didn't understand what had occurred. I was too young and nobody explained it to me. I can only remember watching it on TV. As for the 8 bit video games, my family owned an Intellivision back then. We had a game called Burger Time which was kinda fun lol.

Burger Time was also for Atari and for The Nintendo Entertainment System.

Written By: Elor on 10/18/17 at 5:03 pm

Burger Time was also for Atari and for The Nintendo Entertainment System.
And Commodore C64.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/19/17 at 5:39 am

And Commodore C64.
We had a Commodore 128, for we wanted to learn more on computers and computer language, etc, but we ended up playing games on it.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/df/Commodore_128_BASIC_Prompt.gif

it looks so basic now?

Written By: Howard on 10/19/17 at 7:42 am

We had a Commodore 128, for we wanted to learn more on computers and computer language, etc, but we ended up playing games on it.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/df/Commodore_128_BASIC_Prompt.gif

it looks so basic now?

Wow, that is basic.  :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/19/17 at 7:43 am

Wow, that is basic.  :o
Very primitive, but it is a start!

Written By: Elor on 10/19/17 at 10:26 am

it looks so basic now?
It could also be programmed in "Basic". ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/19/17 at 10:33 am

It could also be programmed in "Basic". ;)
Exactly, it was back then I wish to learn more on computer programming, which is now my son's line of work.

Written By: Elor on 10/19/17 at 1:30 pm

Exactly, it was back then I wish to learn more on computer programming, which is now my son's line of work.
My father did a bit of programming on his Commodore +4. I used the C64 for games only. I never cared for programming the thing. ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/19/17 at 1:52 pm

My father did a bit of programming on his Commodore +4. I used the C64 for games only. I never cared for programming the thing. ::)
Later on computers got better, the 128 was ditched, and a personal computer was purchased, used as a glorified diary and calculator, and games were still played on it.

Written By: Howard on 10/19/17 at 3:23 pm

Whatever became of it? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/19/17 at 3:23 pm

I know that mine was offer to a family member.

Written By: Howard on 10/19/17 at 3:24 pm

Later on computers got better, the 128 was ditched, and a personal computer was purchased, used as a glorified diary and calculator, and games were still played on it.

and now you can use it for searches too.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/19/17 at 3:26 pm

and now you can use it for searches too.
The first personal computer we had was a stand alone, not hooked up to any form of the Internet.

Written By: Elor on 10/19/17 at 4:29 pm

I actually don't remember. I think we gave the C64 to a friend who still uses them as a hobby some years ago. No idea what happened to the +4. :-[

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/19/17 at 4:32 pm

I actually don't remember. I think we gave the C64 to a friend who still uses them as a hobby some years ago. No idea what happened to the +4. :-[
Probably these machines are collector's items now?

Written By: Howard on 10/20/17 at 6:49 am

Probably these machines are collector's items now?

You can actually sell them on the internet and get money for it.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/20/17 at 4:53 pm

ALF and Ducktales are ‘80s/‘90s TV shows. My cousin was still watching those programs in 1990.

Written By: Howard on 10/21/17 at 2:15 pm

You remember rotary telephones.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/22/17 at 10:15 am

You remember wearing these Robot/ Cyclop sunglasses:

https://img0.etsystatic.com/002/0/5726272/il_570xN.365931506_hyof.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/63/09/a7/6309a7af8a66a408d1324e83e22dbdbc--eyeglasses--s.jpg

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/15/20 at 12:20 pm

If you remember eating Smurfberry Crunch cereal while watching Smurfs on Saturday morning.
If you can hum the theme song to Dallas without a second thought.
If you think jelly shoes are better than Crocs.
If you have no problem with reorganizing the stickers on a Rubic Cube.

Written By: Howard on 05/15/20 at 1:42 pm

If you remember eating Smurfberry Crunch cereal while watching Smurfs on Saturday morning.
If you can hum the theme song to Dallas without a second thought.
If you think jelly shoes are better than Crocs.

I loved Smurfberry Crunch.

Written By: violet_shy on 05/15/20 at 7:43 pm

You know the names of the original holograms from Jem and the Holograms.

Jem/Jerrica
Shana
Kimber
Aja
Raya
Rio
Synergy

I won! Lol.

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/15/20 at 9:16 pm

I tried it once and getting a sticker jammed up under your fingernail is one of the most painful things ever. Then I learned how to take it apart without tools. My favorite was the rubiks magic glass puzzles. I still have mine.

My most memorable episode of punky was when they were playing hide and seek and her friend got stuck in the old fridge.

The episode of Webster where he went behind the clock and climbed the ladder freaks me out thinking about it. Then there was the episode where he set the apartment on fire.

Burger time was one of my favorite games. I played it in our short lived local arcade.

I watched the challenger explode on tv. I was 9 and I didn’t realize the full situation or that there were people on that part. The colors against the sky looked like artwork and I said it looked pretty. I got yelled at for that.

Other 80s things not mentioned.

Wonderworks
Square one
321 contact
Reading rainbow
The get along gang
Zoobilee zoo
The Littles. My favorite episode was the one about the rats.
Our House with Wilford Brimley
Free premium tv with a c band dish
A cassette player with rewind was a big thing
Hospitals and doctors offices were off white institutions that resembled prisons
Radio control vs remote control was a big thing, both toy cars and vcrs
Stompers (mini toy 4x4s)

Giantway
Montgomery ward
Pranges
Little red shoe house

Cordless phones were new and had a metal antenna. I remember a guy talking about them in our school. He said you can climb a tree and call a friend. For years I was thinking why climb a tree? Do I need to touch the antenna to the telephone line to connect the wire and make a call? Being a kid with a technical mind that made sense. I’m glad we never got one or I might not be here right now.

Written By: robby76 on 05/15/20 at 11:07 pm

You know the names of the original holograms from Jem and the Holograms.

They've released Funko Pops of Jem and Pizzazz. Super7 are coming out with action figures of them this year as well. Perfect for male fans who don't do dolls lol.

Written By: robby76 on 05/15/20 at 11:08 pm

321 contact

Bloodhound Gang was the best segment! "Whenever there's trouble, they're there on the double..."

Written By: Howard on 05/16/20 at 1:42 pm

Bloodhound Gang was the best segment! "Whenever there's trouble, they're there on the double..."

I loved the intro to 321 Contact.

Written By: Howard on 05/16/20 at 1:44 pm

I tried it once and getting a sticker jammed up under your fingernail is one of the most painful things ever. Then I learned how to take it apart without tools. My favorite was the rubiks magic glass puzzles. I still have mine.

My most memorable episode of punky was when they were playing hide and seek and her friend got stuck in the old fridge.

The episode of Webster where he went behind the clock and climbed the ladder freaks me out thinking about it. Then there was the episode where he set the apartment on fire.

Burger time was one of my favorite games. I played it in our short lived local arcade.

I watched the challenger explode on tv. I was 9 and I didn’t realize the full situation or that there were people on that part. The colors against the sky looked like artwork and I said it looked pretty. I got yelled at for that.

Other 80s things not mentioned.

Wonderworks
Square one
321 contact
Reading rainbow
The get along gang
Zoobilee zoo
The Littles. My favorite episode was the one about the rats.
Our House with Wilford Brimley
Free premium tv with a c band dish
A cassette player with rewind was a big thing
Hospitals and doctors offices were off white institutions that resembled prisons
Radio control vs remote control was a big thing, both toy cars and vcrs
Stompers (mini toy 4x4s)

Giantway
Montgomery ward
Pranges
Little red shoe house

Cordless phones were new and had a metal antenna. I remember a guy talking about them in our school. He said you can climb a tree and call a friend. For years I was thinking why climb a tree? Do I need to touch the antenna to the telephone line to connect the wire and make a call? Being a kid with a technical mind that made sense. I’m glad we never got one or I might not be here right now.

I used to watch Reading Rainbow during the 1980's.

Check for new replies or respond here...