inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The 80's - What's your favorite personal memory?

Written By: Captain_Nostalgia on 11/04/17 at 10:02 pm

As the title state, share a personal memory you have of the 80's.  Feel free to share why it's your favorite.

I'll start.  1989, Texas.  It was a warm day, I was out in the cul-de-sac playing with my friends.  We hear an Ice Cream truck in the distance, we break up and run to our respective houses begging for change to get an ice cream.  My mom not having change decides to go out with me to get one.  In the window, I see a bag of candy that had a fake rubber spider.  I asked if I could have that instead of an ice cream.  Needless to say, I still have the rubber spider.  ;)

I have a lot of great memories from the 80's and up.  But for some reason, this is my favorite one.  I guess because my mom still felt like a mom at that time.

Subject: Re: The 80's - What's your favorite personal memory?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/05/17 at 7:31 am

I spent the 80’s as a 20-something, so I have a lot of memories.  Here’s one particularly good one:

I had the elated feeling of my favorite sports team winning a championship.  Happy day!  In some stroke of tremendous fortune (I’m still amazed) I stumbled onto an invitation to a celebration party where my favorite team member – who I had a huge crush on – was co-hosting.  :D  I didn’t blink twice.  I found my dress – strapless, form fitting black velvet but with a cinched hot pink satin "cummerbund" across the top and the same fabric at the bottom in an asymmetric fluted hem.  It looked amazing!  I wore it with a strappy pair of black high heeled sandals and blingy jewelry.  I fixed my hair and makeup and went to that party hoping to meet my dreamboat – and there he was!  I felt slightly dumbfounded to say anything – but then he asked me to dance!  WOW!!!  :o  So I danced with him (it was an up-tempo number, not a slow dance) and was feeling good – until about six other girls horned in on my dance, and it suddenly became a big circle!  >:(  I tried to stick to my guns - until my dreamboat found another girl to talk with.  :-\\  (I also had the pleasure of meeting the other co-hosting player – a great guy).  I did talk with him again later – I gave him my phone number.  The real one.  Except he probably wanted something else.  ::)  (In retrospect that was probably the better outcome.)  I still have his autograph…

Written By: violet_shy on 11/08/17 at 2:32 pm

My favorite memory from the '80s is definitely the night my parents got me my Jem and The Holograms doll! That was in 1986, and it was a gift because I had graduated Kindergarten. It was actually my dad who got it for me. My mom wanted me to get one of the Misfits dolls but I didn't want any of those. I chose Jem/Jerrica because as I told my parents that night she was the "leader". I was so happy! At the time, the Jem and The Holograms dolls were the most beautiful and stylish dolls at the toy stores. Every girl had them. I remember I didn't want to ruin the eye catching, colorful box the doll had come in. What I loved most were her outfits! And well, this is my favorite memory even though I have so many good memories from the 80s!

Written By: loki 13 on 11/16/17 at 5:57 pm

I was married in 1981 and all three of my children were born in the '80s - '81, '83 and '89. I don't think any
other memory I have could trump that.

Written By: robby76 on 11/17/17 at 7:43 am

One memory for 10 years is kinda tough. For an overall memory it'd probably be watching cartoons and sitcoms with all my siblings at home.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/26/17 at 3:39 pm

Personally, the '80s really sucked for me. But there were some good moments-like graduation from high school. 1988 was probably my worst year EVER-even though I bought my first house that year. But, in 1989, my life was taking a new direction. In Feb. of that year, I left Texas for good-with my 4 cats in the backseat (well, I have been back but never lived there again). When we crossed the border into Oklahoma, I LITERALLY, raised my hand and gave Texas the finger and said "F*** YOU, TEXAS!" And then I started singing "Oklahoma."  :D ;D ;D ;D 

A few weeks after that, my cats were at my mother's in New York and I was on my way to Greece. I didn't realize that by the end of the year (and decade) my life would take another turn that I wasn't expecting. I find myself retired (complete with pension). No job, no family (besides my cats), no direction. I was asked where I was going to go. Go? I never thought about that before. It was the first time in my life I could go ANYWHERE I wanted to. It only took me about 30 seconds-if that long, to tell them, "Vermont." They asked me, "Do you have a job there?" Nope. "Do you have people there?" Nope. "Then why move there?" I gave them the most bizarre answer, "Because I WANT to." It was truly the first BEST decision I have ever made in my life!

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 11/26/17 at 3:51 pm

Personally, the '80s really sucked for me. But there were some good moments-like graduation from high school. 1988 was probably my worst year EVER-even though I bought my first house that year. But, in 1989, my life was taking a new direction. In Feb. of that year, I left Texas for good-with my 4 cats in the backseat (well, I have been back but never lived there again). When we crossed the border into Oklahoma, I LITERALLY, raised my hand and gave Texas the finger and said "F*** YOU, TEXAS!" And then I started singing "Oklahoma."  :D ;D ;D ;D 

A few weeks after that, my cats were at my mother's in New York and I was on my way to Greece. I didn't realize that by the end of the year (and decade) my life would take another turn that I wasn't expecting. I find myself retired (complete with pension). No job, no family (besides my cats), no direction. I was asked where I was going to go. Go? I never thought about that before. It was the first time in my life I could go ANYWHERE I wanted to. It only took me about 30 seconds-if that long, to tell them, "Vermont." They asked me, "Do you have a job there?" Nope. "Do you have people there?" Nope. "Then why move there?" I gave them the most bizarre answer, "Because I WANT to." It was truly the first BEST decision I have ever made in my life!

Cat

The way you feel about Texas is the way I feel about a certain state I lived in for a long time, years ago.  :o  :o  :o

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 12/01/17 at 1:28 pm

My favourite memories of the 1980s are when I was young and discovering a lot of good music that was on the radio at the time.  In fact, when I was young there was the advent of MuchMusic, which I didn't really care about at the time because I was only 7 at the time and at that time it was a cable channel so there were lots of music video shows for those of us who were too poor to order basic cable.
My favourites being Toronto Rocks with John Majhor, aired on City TV every afternoon at 4:00 PM, Video Hits with Samantha Taylor, aired on the CBC Weekdays at 4:30 PM, and Good Rockin' Tonite, aired on CBC every Thursday and Friday nights at 11:30.  If it was a PD Day and we had the day off on Fridays and if my mother was feeling generous enough to let me stay up that late on the two days that GRT was on it was a camp out on the couch.  :) That was my favourite thing to do.  :)

Written By: oingo_fan on 01/28/18 at 8:25 pm

Being on the set of Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure when they were filming the the Napoleon / bowling alley scene (Mesa, AZ in '87-my friend and I ended up being on-camera in the background).  I remember playing a video game between scenes with the actor who played Ted's younger brother in the arcade there and asking what the movie was about.  "It's about two guys who go back in time for a school history project".  I remember thinking "Wow, that's freaking stupid".  Little did I know, little did I know.  :)

Written By: robby76 on 01/28/18 at 8:49 pm

Being on the set of Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure when they were filming the the Napoleon / bowling alley scene (Mesa, AZ in '87-my friend and I ended up being on-camera in the background).

Great story! I loved the first Bill & Ted as it had more everyday scenes... malls etc. May give it a re-watch later.

Check for new replies or respond here...