inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Question for teens/adults in the late 1980s

Written By: John Titor on 01/18/18 at 6:30 pm

What was the feeling of the late 1980s?

1987-1989 (the vibe that led the the 90s)

I was obv 2 young to remember the late 80s

Subject: Re: Question for teens/adults in the late 1980s

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/18/18 at 11:00 pm

The 80's tracks with my 20-something years, thus I spent the late 80's in my late 20's.  Pop-culture-wise, I'd say there was clearly a noticeable shift around '87 in the styles of both music and television; to my taste things were trending darker, gloomier.  Hip hop was getting more of a foothold in music and starting to have influence.  Style-wise, workwear for her tended to go a little on the conservative side but with a modern twist, whereas it was also a big time for neon spandex workout wear.  Plus leather, leather, leather - the more the better.  Optimism was fairly prevalent, as opposed to "doomsday" feelings. 

For me personally, there was a lot of upheaval.  I was grappling with just moving out of my parents' home, my beloved Father's health abruptly failed (he fought that Cancer, but it won), trying to get settled into my new-ish job (it was rough for a couple years), trying to maintain a social life/boyfriends, becoming a new "long distance" aunt, trying to keep myself financially above water, and negotiating a "long distance" job assignment, all the while going through a personal spiritual upheaval.  My head was spinning!  :o

Written By: robby76 on 01/20/18 at 7:44 am

I was 11 yrs old in 1987 and just started Secondary School. I was heavily into the pop culture of the time. Fashion was all very surfy... bermuda shorts, Hawaiian shirts, colourful Swatch watches.

The music scene went very bubblegum pop with the usual Debbie Gibson, Kylie, Tiffany, New Kids, Milli Vanilli, Paula Abdul. Even rock was very catchy and mainstream... Bon Jovi, Def Leppard etc.

TV shows were still very wholesome but they started having a less middle class feel. Humour was getting a little darker and more cynical... Roseanne, Married with Children.

By 1989, dance music began to overtake pop. In the UK the rave culture started. Acts like Black Box, Soul II Soul, Technotronic, SNAP. Club music was getting big.

M0quXl_od3g

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 01/29/18 at 6:46 pm

This should help you understand what the late ‘80s were like:

https://pre00.deviantart.net/6875/th/pre/f/2017/345/7/9/the_late_80s__1987_1989__by_hesalive-dbwbabr.jpg

Written By: robby76 on 01/29/18 at 8:03 pm

Very nicely done. Did you do that yourself?

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 01/29/18 at 9:37 pm

Very nicely done. Did you do that yourself?

Thank you. I made last month.

Written By: Howard on 01/30/18 at 2:18 pm

https://pre00.deviantart.net/6875/th/pre/f/2017/345/7/9/the_late_80s__1987_1989__by_hesalive-dbwbabr.jpg

very nice. :)

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 02/01/18 at 4:02 pm

very nice. :)

Thanks! I’m thinking of working on one for the mid ‘80s.

Written By: Howard on 02/02/18 at 7:04 am

Thanks! I’m thinking of working on one for the mid ‘80s.

How about the early 80's? ???

Check for new replies or respond here...