inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you consider Def Leppard a hair metal or NWBHM band?

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 02/21/18 at 5:55 pm

Obviously, they started out as a NWBHM band, and rejected the hair metal label, and Joe Elliot has said he detested the hair metal label, yet they are listed as "hair metal" according to Wikipedia.

Do you think that Def Leppard belongs more in a category with NWBHM bands such as Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, and Motorhead, or do they belong more in a category with hair metal bands such as Motley Crue, Bon Jovi, and Guns N Roses?

Tell me what you think in the comments.

Subject: Re: Do you consider Def Leppard a hair metal or NWBHM band?

Written By: AndrewShannon on 02/21/18 at 8:09 pm

They were NWOBHM turned pop-rock/hard rock. First album's the only metal (worthwhile, lol) one.

I don't think "hair metal" is a thing. Pop metal to me is Ozzy or Twisted Sister, Glam is W.A.S.P. and early Motley Crue, and both are really similar tbh. Most "hair" bands were more pop rock or hard rock imo, not metal. Also, looks don't make music, just like lyrics don't ("viking metal" isn't real either).

Check for new replies or respond here...