inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: A simple question

Written By: Class of 84 on 02/28/18 at 9:17 pm

Why do the 80's seem like just yesterday, but 2000 seems like a lifetime ago?  Just something to ponder before bedtime.

Subject: Re: A simple question

Written By: gibbo on 02/28/18 at 10:08 pm

It would depend upon when you were born and lived your formative teen years. I was born in 1960 and the late 60's, all of the 70's, and up to the mid 80's I identify strongly with.  The 1990's and 2000's etc barely spark a memory...

I found the 90's and 2000's bland ... but those who were born in the later 80's have a completely different tale to tell about those era's.

Subject: A simple question

Written By: Dude111 on 03/01/18 at 10:53 pm

Why do the 80's seem like just yesterday, but 2000 seems like a lifetime ago?  Just something to ponder before bedtime.

Hmmmmm I feel the opposite.... The 80s are far away and 2000 was yesterday!!!

Written By: Class of 84 on 03/03/18 at 8:05 pm

Hmmmmm I feel the opposite.... The 80s are far away and 2000 was yesterday!!!

I guess age has a lot to do with it. I was a kid in the 70s, and they seem like another time and another place.

Written By: annimal on 03/03/18 at 8:10 pm

the 80's  good rock are long gone

Written By: yelimsexa on 03/05/18 at 6:35 am

the 80's  good rock are long gone

I agree with Dude111. The year 2000 obviously is quite unlike today, but is still in essence a "rough draft" in terms of groundwork that leads to today's society, as that was the year that Reality TV became mainstream, Spongebob became popular, Internet culture was big, mobile communications and DVDs came of age, Eminem, and the like. That said, I noticed at a Best Buy over the weekend, most of the DVDs were in the clearance rack and although they still had a CD section, word is that those will be discontinued later this year, so in essence, the "Millennial spirit" is still alive, but fading. It's as old today as what the early '80s where then when that was current, and the lack of key things like social media, smartphones, trap music, HDTV/LCD monitors (for the most part), personal assistants, and even the inflation since then for certain items does give it a "long gone" feeling to an extent. However, it's quickly becoming "vintage" and unofficially will be in two years. Meanwhile the '80s and almost all of the '90s feel like another eon, and the former has for quite a while that its basically "instantly retro" when you first encounter a song, movie, or TV show. The value of many collectibles from that decade has really soared for those long out-of-print items.  Many of those hot dudes/young women you see in '80s music videos/movies/TV shows are now grannies.

Check for new replies or respond here...