inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1982

Written By: 90s Guy on 04/27/18 at 11:26 am

What do you remember about 1982 in terms of the fashion, music, the general atmosphere of the year?

Subject: Re: 1982

Written By: naf140230 on 04/28/18 at 9:54 am

While I was not born until 1993, I do know that Michael Jackson's Thriller was very popular, as was E. T. the Extraterrestrial. There was also St. Elsewhere and Knight Rider. And Family Ties and Cheers. Not to mention the Commodore 64.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/28/18 at 10:27 am

Yes, I remember it well, and the fashion back then was just ordinary fashion to me.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/28/18 at 10:58 am

Shorts for males were still very, very short in 1982, and would remain so until about 1990.  Generally they were denim cutoffs. Gym shorts were also very, very short, as were professional basketball player's shorts. It wasn't until Michael Jordan decided to change that circa 1990 that shorts became the  long, baggy contraptions we now know them as (and one thing they are NOT is "short"). I only bring this up because such short shorts on men are now considered so alien that they might as well be from another planet. People would almost recoil at the sight of such a thing, or certainly laugh and make fun of it, whereas back then it wasn't given a second thought, it was just normal.

Written By: pell on 04/29/18 at 10:51 pm

While I was not born until 1993, I do know that Michael Jackson's Thriller was very popular, as was E. T. the Extraterrestrial. There was also St. Elsewhere and Knight Rider. And Family Ties and Cheers. Not to mention the Commodore 64.

I remember going to bed with this magazine cover. I guess I treated it like a stuffed animal of E.T.

https://web.archive.org/web/20180430034900if_/http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_PBZi2jJab0Y/TQKeU7j3JRI/AAAAAAAAJJc/rhAR6yI2te8/s1600/US%2BMagazine%2BTron%2BCover.jpg

Written By: violet_shy on 07/05/18 at 3:21 pm

I have faint, vague memories of 1982. I can only remember faces, the music, and a red balloon type bear I use to play with. I also remember a vehicle driving into a building. I remember one time my family and I went to a carnival...if I can remember anything about the pop culture of 1982 it would be the music. I had turned 2 that year.

Written By: APDCR1990 on 07/08/18 at 1:37 pm

I was born in 1990, but it's cool to imagine what the vibe and aesthetic was of years before I was born. I'll give 1982 a shot. This is what I do know - Disco was dead, New Wave was on the rise, Reagan was president, and the economy was in the gutter (high unemployment). Cheers debuted that year and E.T. & Poltergeist were big movies.

It seems like a bleak and weird year lacking a distinctive identity. Here's what I mean:
*Fashion/Hairstyles - Watered down and cleaner cut version of the late 70's but without the distinctive disco look (bell bottoms, polyester, afros, leisure suits, etc.). Some in '82 were definitely still rocking that look, but it was much rarer (especially after 1980-81). At the same time, it predates all of the stereotypical 80's looks -- big hair, mullets, leg warmers, acid washed jeans, etc. In other words, kind of bland. Women's hairstyles seemed to be either wavy like Farrah Fawcett  or shorter cut like Pat Benatar. Men were still rocking the mustache, but it was more trimmed. What's interesting though is that with the rise of New Wave, the bands had totally bizarre and eccentric haircuts and fashion (see: Flock of Seagulls). But I don't think that look sunk in until at least '83 or '84.

*Cars - Full size sedans and station wagons. Kind of predates the more compact and mid-size sedans that would become more popular as the 80s progressed.

*Economy/Politics - Due to the economic slump, the go-go, high roller, materialistic 80's weren't in full swing yet. So once again, '82 looked kind of bleak and bland. However, the environmental and cultural issues of the 70s were just about dead. Once the economy rebounded after '82, the floodgates of mass consumerism and Wall Street greed would storm the nation.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/08/18 at 3:29 pm

That was the year I went into the Air Force. While I was in basic, our TI told us that John Belushi had died. I remember thinking that that couldn't have been true. Basic seemed like a dream (or a nightmare) and I thought once I woke up, John would still be alive. Of course, that wasn't the case.

I wasn't really up on the fashion because I wore a uniform most days that year.

I was introduced to MTV and FINALLY got HBO-something I wanted from the moment I heard about it back in the mid '70s.

It was the start of the second British Invasion (thanks to MTV). I remember getting ready for work in the morning with MTV on. To this day, I can't hear Hungry Like the Wolf without thinking of that first apartment-because they played that song EVERY morning (they had very few videos at the time-so what they did have got a lot of air time).

Unfortunately, 1982 was when I got married for the first time.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/08/18 at 3:43 pm

Fashion/Hairstyles - Watered down and cleaner cut version of the late 70's but without the distinctive disco look (bell bottoms, polyester, afros, leisure suits, etc.). Some in '82 were definitely still rocking that look, but it was much rarer (especially after 1980-81).

I have to disagree with this slightly. Rather than a "watered down and cleaner cut version of the late 70's" it was more a return to the 50s.  Narrow ties became a symbol of new wave and those were very 50-ish. Hair on men was shorter and often slicked back, again a return to the 50s rather than a distinctive 70s shag. Facial hair vanished. Even the pointy-ish sunglasses people wore reminded me much more of the 50s than 70s sunglasses which were much larger, often mirrored, etc. The fact that bell bottoms, which were all-pervasive for the entire 70s, vanished seemingly overnight gave everything a 50-ish look, and some people even rolled up the cuffs of their straight legged jeans in a 50s look.

Written By: annimal on 07/08/18 at 4:52 pm

E T? Commodore 64?  never heard of them. 

Written By: robby76 on 07/09/18 at 9:10 am

That was the year I started primary school - aged 5/6.

I remember the music most - mainly from songs played in my Dad's car. Tunes like...

"Sexual Healing" - Marvin Gaye
"Love Come Down" - Evelyn King
"Get Down On It" - Kool & The Gang
"Give It Up" - KC & The Sunshine Band
"Night To Remember" - Shalamar
"I'll Tumble 4 Ya" - Culture Club

Cartoons were my main love... Shirt Tales, Meatball & Spaghetti, Pandamonium, Pac Man etc.

Thanks to older siblings I used to watch all the teen tv shows of the time too... Silver Spoons, Powers of Matthew Starr, Magnum, Knight Rider, Three's Company. Great times!

Written By: robby76 on 07/11/18 at 9:05 am

1982... the moonwalk premiered on TV and it wasn't Michael Jackson!

iG2YB9pp484

Written By: wsmith4 on 07/11/18 at 10:39 am

Ahhhhh 1982.  Yes, yes.  Year of the pelican.  I remember Scammer Jammer and The Windsocks being very popular that year.  I was only a wee morsel but something tells me President Eidenhower was none too popular with the locals, if you know what I mean! *nudge nudge*  This was also Debbie Gibson's break out year, and movies such as Flight Class and All Seasons Lead To Eternal Damnation were big at the "bocks awfiss".    Culturally, it was a bit of a mess.  Nobody liked the Sarcastins.  They were a little too "hoity toity" with their big screen telephones and Thermalware.  It was a time of reckoning, I believe, for many.  A time when our cultural differences were brought to light, and we made do with what we had instead of what we didn't have.  It was refreshing to see people fashion cars out of everyday objects again, recycle recycle recycle!  I believe this was the year the first iPhone was released, as well.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.  Take all that into account when you remember 1982.  A sordid, morbid and scary time for all.

Written By: annimal on 07/11/18 at 10:46 am

Okay, I was born in 82 and a few years later remember E T and we had a Commodore 64

Hi Barbie it's Ken would you like to go to ( whatever it randomly says) Sounds like fun  Great see you in an hour

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 07/11/18 at 9:41 pm

That was the year I went into the Air Force. While I was in basic, our TI told us that John Belushi had died. I remember thinking that that couldn't have been true. Basic seemed like a dream (or a nightmare) and I thought once I woke up, John would still be alive. Of course, that wasn't the case.

I wasn't really up on the fashion because I wore a uniform most days that year.

I was introduced to MTV and FINALLY got HBO-something I wanted from the moment I heard about it back in the mid '70s.

It was the start of the second British Invasion (thanks to MTV). I remember getting ready for work in the morning with MTV on. To this day, I can't hear Hungry Like the Wolf without thinking of that first apartment-because they played that song EVERY morning (they had very few videos at the time-so what they did have got a lot of air time).

Unfortunately, 1982 was when I got married for the first time.  :-\\

Cat

You were in the Air Force!? That's cool :D. How long were you in there for?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/12/18 at 11:46 am

You were in the Air Force!? That's cool :D. How long were you in there for?

I thought EVERYONE here knew that. I was in just short of 8 years. I had planned to stay in for 20 but was medically retired. Here is a pic of me in 1982.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=55862.58 (You might have to scroll down to see the pic.)

Cat

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 07/12/18 at 11:01 pm

I thought EVERYONE here knew that. I was in just short of 8 years. I had planned to stay in for 20 but was medically retired. Here is a pic of me in 1982.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=55862.58 (You might have to scroll down to see the pic.)

Cat

Lol my bad ::). Yeah I checked the link and yeah you were pretty young at the time. My biological father and step father were both in the military.

My biological father (born in 1949) was in the Air Force during Vietnam. However, he wasn't in a combative role, so he rarely saw combat or fighting. He was tasked at fixing air planes mainly.

My step father (born in 1961) was in the Army during the 1980s. He was in the armed services until about 1993.

Having grown up with two massive militaristic fathers, my childhood was pretty strict to stay the least. Even now as a 22 year old, my step father runs our household like an assembly line ;D.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/13/18 at 12:18 pm

Lol my bad ::). Yeah I checked the link and yeah you were pretty young at the time. My biological father and step father were both in the military.

My biological father (born in 1949) was in the Air Force during Vietnam. However, he wasn't in a combative role, so he rarely saw combat or fighting. He was tasked at fixing air planes mainly.

My step father (born in 1961) was in the Army during the 1980s. He was in the armed services until about 1993.

Having grown up with two massive militaristic fathers, my childhood was pretty strict to stay the least. Even now as a 22 year old, my step father runs our household like an assembly line ;D.

My paternal grandfather was a doc in the Army during WWII (Lt. Col)-he was stationed at a POW camp in Mississippi. Most people don't know that the U.S. housed German POWs. The ironic part was that my grandfather was Jewish.

My step-father retired from the Air Force as a Chief Master Sergeant (E-9 highest enlisted rank). Me, I got out as an E-4 Sergeant-a rank that no longer exists so I am a relic.

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 08/10/18 at 12:07 pm

1982... the moonwalk premiered on TV and it wasn't Michael Jackson!

iG2YB9pp484

What I've learned about art is that sometimes it's not who does it first, it's who does it best. http://www.kanyetothe.com/forum/Smileys/default/HWaQd6Z.png

There's even a video of a dude doing the moonwalk, although it may have not been called that back in the 50's. It was a video from circa 1955!

I guess 'moonwalk' and 'Michael Jackson' became synonymous, because he did it better than men/women before him. 

Written By: annimal on 08/10/18 at 12:36 pm

thought I'd watch this

Written By: annimal on 08/10/18 at 12:41 pm

see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6pomaq30Gg

Written By: Howard on 08/10/18 at 1:59 pm

see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6pomaq30Gg

Written By: annimal on 08/10/18 at 2:17 pm

just looking at the two to see how things have changed

Written By: 80sfan on 08/10/18 at 3:17 pm

see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6pomaq30Gg

The King!  8)

Written By: annimal on 08/10/18 at 3:29 pm

A little earlier today, it looked like someone might be moving their feet  and someone wasn't

Written By: 80sfan on 08/10/18 at 3:34 pm

A little earlier today, it looked like someone might be moving their feet  and someone wasn't

I can’t dance, so it’s not me who's moving ’their’ feet!  ;D

Written By: annimal on 08/10/18 at 5:05 pm

well I can move  and trip

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/14/18 at 2:35 pm

On this day in 1982, with his 12,365th career at-bat, Philadelphia Phillies' Pete Rose passes Hank Aaron to become the all-time leader of plate appearances.

Written By: wsmith4 on 08/14/18 at 3:13 pm

On this day in 1982, with his 12,365th career at-bat, Philadelphia Phillies' Pete Rose passes Hank Aaron to become the all-time leader of plate appearances.

And he still holds the record?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/14/18 at 3:20 pm

And he still holds the record?
Thanks for that info.

Written By: wsmith4 on 08/15/18 at 11:50 am

Thanks for that info.

I was actually asking.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/15/18 at 11:52 am

I was actually asking.
You meant to say, "does he still hold the record?"

Written By: wsmith4 on 08/15/18 at 2:08 pm

You meant to say, "does he still hold the record?"

No, I meant to say what I said.  It was worded just fine and there a question mark at the end.  ;D Do you know the answer?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/15/18 at 2:20 pm

No, I meant to say what I said.  It was worded just fine and there a question mark at the end.  ;D Do you know the answer?
I have no idea, but I know someone who does.

Written By: wsmith4 on 08/15/18 at 2:43 pm

I have no idea, but I know someone who does.

Good lord.  No longer interested.

Written By: annimal on 08/15/18 at 2:45 pm

me neither

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/26/18 at 6:09 am

On this day in 1982, the first episode of "Knight Rider" was aired.

Written By: annimal on 09/27/18 at 10:43 am

do
do do do        do

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/27/18 at 11:28 am

September 27th 1982 - Italian and French soldiers entered the Sabra and Chatilla refugee camps in Beirut. The move was made by the members of a multinational force due to hundreds of Palestinians being massacred by Christian militiamen.

Written By: violet_shy on 06/28/21 at 4:10 pm

I have some memories of 1982 not of the entire year. But of pieces of my life. Particularly the music. My mother always had the radio playing. I remember my mother holding me and being in our backyard. We use to have a BlackBerry tree and I remember stepping on them. I use to have this one toy it was a plush Smurf. I loved it. I must have about three or four more memories of 1982. Not many I was only 1 year old or 2.

Written By: Howard on 06/29/21 at 6:49 am

I have some memories of 1982 not of the entire year. But of pieces of my life. Particularly the music. My mother always had the radio playing. I remember my mother holding me and being in our backyard. We use to have a BlackBerry tree and I remember stepping on them. I use to have this one toy it was a plush Smurf. I loved it. I must have about three or four more memories of 1982. Not many I was only 1 year old or 2.

I was 8 years old in 1982.

Written By: wagonman76 on 06/29/21 at 10:40 pm

1982 was when the GM A-bodies were introduced. Mostly unchanged through 1996. I’ve had many over the years, including 2 right now.

I was in kindergarten and 1st grade. I got in trouble for going ahead in my workbook and doing the whole thing. I also brought one of my mom’s giant pine cones to school for show and tell without asking. The teacher kept it and wouldn’t give it back to my mom. It was probably worth something. A few years back when I read in the paper that the teacher died, my daughter and I were joking that we should stop by and say “hey can I get my mom’s pine cone back now?”

Check for new replies or respond here...