inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 80s artists still relevant in 2018?

Written By: d90 on 05/12/18 at 8:44 pm

This thread is a prequel to 90s artists still relevant in 2018?

Subject: Re: 80s artists still relevant in 2018?

Written By: robby76 on 05/12/18 at 9:39 pm

Madonna
Kylie Minogue
Janet Jackson
U2

Sadly the big guns have all passed... Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, George Michael.

Written By: Howard on 05/13/18 at 7:19 am

Billy Joel
Tina Turner
Bruce Springsteen

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/13/18 at 7:25 am

Enya is still around, recording albums and the last I heard she is planning live concerts.

Written By: Elor on 05/13/18 at 9:15 am

Nena is still active.
Not sure how relevant Bryan Adams still is but I think he's still active as well.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/13/18 at 9:17 am

Nena is still active.
Not sure how relevant Bryan Adams still is but I think he's still active as well.
Is Nicole, the winner of the 1982 Eurovision, still around?

Written By: Elor on 05/13/18 at 3:09 pm

Is Nicole, the winner of the 1982 Eurovision, still around?
According to Wikipedia she's still active but I haven't heard anything from her in decades. But I'm also not much of a "Schlager" (there doesn't seem to be a decent English translation for that music style, the ones I found were way off) fan so I probably just didn't listen to the right radio stations.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/13/18 at 3:11 pm

According to Wikipedia she's still active but I haven't heard anything from her in decades. But I'm also not much of a "Schlager" (there doesn't seem to be a decent English translation for that music style, the ones I found were way off) fan so I probably just didn't listen to the right radio stations.
I saw her on a BBC program "Eurovision at 60", just being interviewed, of course footage was shown of her ESC win.

Written By: Howard on 05/14/18 at 5:18 am

Howard Jones
Thompson Twins
OMD
Sabrina

Written By: robby76 on 05/14/18 at 7:13 am

Are New Kids On The Block still relevant? They still tour and they do bring out new music.

Written By: yelimsexa on 05/14/18 at 1:05 pm

I'm afraid not at this time, robby76 as they have no tour plans for this year.

And of course Prince the another one of the "big guns".  :\'(

Well Elton John and Fleetwood Mac are still relevant and they became popular in the '70s. Of course, they (along with the '80s and most of the '90s artists) have long passed their heyday on the radio, but they still get lots of play on classic hits and classic rock stations, bringing out a new audience of listeners who discovered them, and as long as they have the awareness to market themselves to tour live and/or appear on TV, they'll still be on the radar. It seems like the Philippines has the highest love for '80s stars.

But minor stars such as one hit wonders, urban "black" radio groups/singers, and dance-pop stars tend to perform at b-level venues and state/county fairs, release an album about once a decade, and are hardly what I call "relevant". I'd say if you have at least 100,000 Facebook followers, you're still relevant, but any fewer, you've been reduced to a niche audience, and for most of these groups, their audiences aren't getting any younger.

Written By: whistledog on 05/14/18 at 5:19 pm

Howard Jones
Thompson Twins
OMD
Sabrina

I'll give you OMD because they have had several albums in the last few years reach the Top 20 in their native UK.  The other three haven't, and though they may still tour, they do what most 80s bands these days do:  Tour small venues and perform the hits they are famous for.

Written By: whistledog on 05/15/18 at 1:29 am

In Canada, we have a few.  These 4 artists all had a Top 10 album in Canada within the last 2 years ...

Blue Rodeo
Bryan Adams
Celine Dion
Sarah McLachlan

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/15/18 at 1:42 am

In Canada, we have a few.  These 4 artists all had a Top 10 album in Canada within the last 2 years ...

Blue Rodeo
Bryan Adams
Celine Dion
Sarah McLachlan
Is Celine Dion still singing concerts in Las Vegas?

Written By: #Infinity on 05/15/18 at 1:58 am

Kylie Minogue is just barely relevant still. Her most recent album produced two singles that were minor hits, but she's not at the forefront of the pop industry anymore like she still was early this decade.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/15/18 at 2:01 am

Kylie Minogue is just barely relevant still. Her most recent album produced two singles that were minor hits, but she's not at the forefront of the pop industry anymore like she still was early this decade.
In the UK, she has always been around.

Written By: whistledog on 05/15/18 at 3:04 am

Last I heard, she still is. 

The lead single Dancing from that album became her 7th #1 hit on the US Dance chart this decade and also reached the UK Top 40.  The album Golden is to date the fastest selling vinyl album of 2018 in the UK where it debuted at #1.  For an artist who has been around since the 1980s, i would say she is very much still relevant

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/15/18 at 3:50 am

Back in 2013, when we were in Arrivals at Las Vegas airport, there was a huge as on a screen advertising her next concerts with her singing, playing very loud.

Written By: Howard on 05/15/18 at 6:56 am

Samantha Fox
Jody Whatley
U2
Foreigner

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/15/18 at 7:27 am

Samantha Fox
Jody Whatley
U2
Foreigner
Yes to all, except Samantha Fox.

Written By: Howard on 05/15/18 at 7:52 am

Yes to all, except Samantha Fox.

Isn't she still touring the U.K.? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/15/18 at 7:55 am

Isn't she still touring the U.K.? ???
No touring, just having stalkers...

Written By: robby76 on 05/15/18 at 9:42 am

The lead single Dancing from that album became her 7th #1 hit on the US Dance chart this decade and also reached the UK Top 40.  The album Golden is to date the fastest selling vinyl album of 2018 in the UK where it debuted at #1.  For an artist who has been around since the 1980s, i would say she is very much still relevant

Can't believe "Dancing" didn't chart higher in the UK. My local gym in Malaysia plays the song all the time - so it's definitely an international hit. I never liked the song at first, but when you hear it loud in a gym on a daily basis, it sure does grow on you.

-BDImdAfodA

Written By: Howard on 05/15/18 at 2:28 pm

Eddy Grant
Billy Ocean
Sheena Easton

Written By: robby76 on 05/15/18 at 8:17 pm

Eddy Grant
Billy Ocean
Sheena Easton

Relevant means they still command press attention and everything they do is caught by the paparazzi. Not sure about those three lol.

I'd like to add La Toya Jackson to the list. Not a successful artist in the 80s, but she had a steady flow of albums. She had her own reality show recently and now does shows like "Worst Cooks" and "Tyler Henry".

Check for new replies or respond here...