inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: (Aimed at Americans) were you a Queen fan in the 80s?

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/13/18 at 4:44 am

Due to a number of factors, Queen's popularity took quite a tumble after after 1980. The Game, released in 1980, was one of their last really successful albums of theirs in the U.S. They remained massive in the rest of the world and could arguably be called the biggest band in the world everywhere except the U.S.

Despite the slump, who here hung on and remained a fan in the 80s? And what do you feel about their 80s records?

My favorite 80s Queen record is The Works, with Hot Space behind it, but I didn't become a fan of them until 1993 because of Wayne's World. I was a year old when Freddie died.

Subject: Re: (Aimed at Americans) were you a Queen fan in the 80s?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/13/18 at 4:48 am

Why aimed at Americans, can't this a world wide affair with Queen?

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/13/18 at 5:05 am

Because they entered a big slump in the U.S. and a lot of fans seemed to have jumped ship, to the point that Queen didn't even bother touring the U.S. after '82.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/13/18 at 5:27 am

As this is bias as to Americans in this topic, I will not answer until the format of this topic is changed.

Subject: (Aimed at Americans) were you a Queen fan in the 80s?

Written By: Dude111 on 05/13/18 at 2:16 pm

Thier 1980 album (THE GAME) I believe is thier last TRUE analog sourced record so thats the last one I like from them........

Written By: whistledog on 05/21/18 at 1:05 am

Because they entered a big slump in the U.S. and a lot of fans seemed to have jumped ship, to the point that Queen didn't even bother touring the U.S. after '82.

Queen released 6 albums in the 80's and each one went gold in the U.S.
Sure, they only had 5 US Top 40 hits that decade, but that doesn't mean fans jumped ship.

That's like saying Iron Maiden were not popular in America because they never had a single appear in the Billboard Hot 100

Check for new replies or respond here...