inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Work in the 1980s

Written By: d90 on 05/13/18 at 8:43 pm

What was it like working in the 1980s compared to now? When Is the first time you used a computer for work?
How old was your oldest Co worker and how did he/ she feel about working with the new technology back then?

Subject: Re: Work in the 1980s

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/14/18 at 7:17 am

Work was fine, with no computers at hand.

Many of my co-workers retired when reaching retirement age, I have no idea on there views on computers for we did not have any.

Written By: yelimsexa on 05/14/18 at 1:11 pm

It was quite a bit noisier with all those typewriters click-clackin' away, but as the decade progressed, they gave way to the smoother sounds of a computer keyboard. You did have those noisy dot matrix printers all the time, and although fax machines arrived late in the decade, snail mail was still the dominant form of long distance document sending, and those file cabinets were absolutely necessary. You used a Rolodex to contact various people, couldn't work from home, and there was no business casual except on a few Fridays in the summer. There were also many more manufacturing jobs compared to today, and people used the landline phone of course much more frequently. I myself am getting new phones (the VoIP) type, but honestly, I only see these for backup operations and find Skyping, Snapchatting, or using my smartphone for personal calls or messaging the way to go.

Written By: Howard on 05/15/18 at 7:00 am

Wasn't work in the 1980's a 9-5 thing? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/15/18 at 7:16 am

Wasn't work in the 1980's a 9-5 thing? ???
Not if you were on a nightshift!

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/16/18 at 6:34 am

There was a lot more paper to handle - mountains of paper!  :o

I remember my not-so-pleasant summer job in 1979.  It was for a government agency.  I was assigned to a mailroom - our job was to open new mail, find the casenumber on the mail, and then locate the matching file and put the paper in the file.  Let me tell you - I had to wander around that office for hours and pour through the literally 3-foot stacks of file folders on everyone's desk trying to find the folders with the matching case numbers.  Most unpleasant  :P  (Not to mention my coworkers were catty gossips - but that's a different story...)

In the 80's, large file cabinets were a necessity for anyone who'd been working a while.  There were a few computers around, but they didn't have much storage capacity and usually weren't personal at that time.  As computers became bigger parts of our professional lives and especially as email began to take hold (later in the decade/90's) paper use slowly tapered off.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/16/18 at 8:58 am

I remember my not-so-pleasant summer job in 1979.  It was for a government agency.  I was assigned to a mailroom - our job was to open new mail, find the casenumber on the mail, and then locate the matching file and put the paper in the file.  Let me tell you - I had to wander around that office for hours and pour through the literally 3-foot stacks of file folders on everyone's desk trying to find the folders with the matching case numbers.  Most unpleasant  :P  (Not to mention my coworkers were catty gossips - but that's a different story...)

In the 80's, large file cabinets were a necessity for anyone who'd been working a while.  There were a few computers around, but they didn't have much storage capacity and usually weren't personal at that time.  As computers became bigger parts of our professional lives and especially as email began to take hold (later in the decade/90's) paper use slowly tapered off.
I remember getting faxes sent, you would the machine noisily start to you, and find it only to be a joke fax.

Written By: Howard on 05/16/18 at 2:47 pm

I can imagine the struggle you felt to have and finish the job! :o

Check for new replies or respond here...