inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: This is how I remember clubbing in the mid/late 80's. Music/fashion/feel...

Written By: oingo_fan on 06/20/18 at 11:07 pm

E6vafiYpH1Y

Subject: Re: This is how I remember clubbing in the mid/late 80's. Music/fashion/feel...

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/21/18 at 1:51 am

E6vafiYpH1Y
From the dying days of disco?

Subject: Re: This is how I remember clubbing in the mid/late 80's. Music/fashion/feel...

Written By: Howard on 06/21/18 at 7:50 am

What happened after clubbing in the late 80's?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/21/18 at 7:56 am

True?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/21/18 at 11:07 pm

80's style clubbing was amazing!  I decided to dredge up this oldie:

From my perspective, the 80's was a decade when clubbing was really popular.  Though I may be biased, the 80's seemed casual in regards to clubbing, in contrast to, for instance, the 70's - which made it more mainstream.

On Fridays, I'd to hurry to my local dance club for happy hour, eat a little bite at the buffet, consume a few cocktails and/or beers, then dance the evening away.  The clubs were usually packed with adults of many different ages.  It was just fun (despite all the trouble I got myself into).  Anybody here experience the glory of dance clubs in the 80's?  8)

There was some fantastic clubbing music in the 80's.  Many top hits were club friendly, like Sheila E.  There was also a lot of edgy dance music like New Order or (saw a thread on them) Pet Shop Boys.  Of course mainstays like Prince and Madonna were well represented in the clubs.

A sample of clubbing tunes:

Addicted To Love - Robert Palmer
Situation - Yaz
I Wanna Be A Cowboy - Boys Don't Cry
Do You Love Me - Contours (yes, the oldie)
What I Like About You - Romantics
What Have You Done For Me Lately - Janet Jackson
Dress You Up - Madonna
Superfreak - Rick James

The direct link:
http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=34002.msg1740556#msg1740556

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/23/18 at 8:41 am

There was still clubbing but it quickly fell out of the mainstream.  IMO 90s music was on the whole much less club friendly than highly-danceable 80's hit music.  Clubbing was on the decline by the early-mid 90's.  A lot of clubs didn't survive the decade.  :-\\

Something else - in the U.S., many states went through a hardening of "drunk driver" laws in the 1990s - it is when the "designated driver" was invented - and cracking down on people driving after drinking probably dissuaded some people from clubbing.  Plus many states changed their smoking laws in the 1990s, so that people could no longer smoke inside clubs, which I think also dissuaded many from clubbing.  I don't disagree with either of these law changes, but it certainly could be a factor why clubbing popularity waned.

Written By: Howard on 06/23/18 at 4:54 pm

There was still clubbing but it quickly fell out of the mainstream.  IMO 90s music was on the whole much less club friendly than highly-danceable 80's hit music.  Clubbing was on the decline by the early-mid 90's.  A lot of clubs didn't survive the decade.  :-\\

Something else - in the U.S., many states went through a hardening of "drunk driver" laws in the 1990s - it is when the "designated driver" was invented - and cracking down on people driving after drinking probably dissuaded some people from clubbing.  Plus many states changed their smoking laws in the 1990s, so that people could no longer smoke inside clubs, which I think also dissuaded many from clubbing.  I don't disagree with either of these law changes, but it certainly could be a factor why clubbing popularity waned.

Hey AG, didn't clubs like Studio 54 and The Paradise Garage survive the 1980's or did they go out of business after The 80's were over?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/23/18 at 8:59 pm

Hey AG, didn't clubs like Studio 54 and The Paradise Garage survive the 1980's or did they go out of business after The 80's were over?

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about specific city clubs - especially those outside Chicago  :-\\

Written By: Howard on 06/24/18 at 7:02 am

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about specific city clubs - especially those outside Chicago  :-\\

What about the clubs you went to? ???

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/24/18 at 5:09 pm

What about the clubs you went to? ???

The clubs I hung out at were suburban; they were red hot in the late 80's, but most folded or converted to something else by the end of the 90's  :(

Written By: Alexander1956 on 06/25/18 at 12:26 am

54 closed in 1980, I remember because I went to the 'final party'. It reopened in 81 o 82 if I recall correctly, but I couldn't tell you what it was like because I stopped going after 1980 but I assume it wasn't the same as back in the Disco heyday. As for Paradise Garage, I think it made it well into the late 80s, but by that time I used to hang out at The Palladium.

Written By: Howard on 06/25/18 at 5:12 am

54 closed in 1980, I remember because I went to the 'final party'.
It reopened in 81 o 82 if I recall correctly, but I couldn't tell you what it was like because I stopped going after 1980 but I assume it wasn't the same as back in the Disco heyday. As for Paradise Garage, I think it made it well into the late 80s, but by that time I used to hang out at The Palladium.

How was the final party?

Written By: Howard on 06/25/18 at 5:14 am

I always wondered if Studio 54 had survived, would it be as hot as it was back in the heydays and what music do you think it would be playing now?  ???

Written By: Alexander1956 on 06/25/18 at 8:58 pm

How was the final party?

Wild!

Written By: Howard on 06/26/18 at 5:15 am

Wild!

How did you feel after they shut down for good? ???

Written By: yelimsexa on 06/26/18 at 7:33 am

The show Club MTV (late '80s/early '90s) sort of has that big city feel to it if you come across any episodes, which was taped at New York City's Palladium. It just isn't the same now with the Internet and smartphones distracting you all the time even if you decide not to bring them! I'd rather go to the gym for the "club sound" than at those jet-lagging joints anyways. That said, a lot of that music was indeed used in workout videos and sessions back in the actual '80s.

Written By: violet_shy on 06/26/18 at 8:39 am

I was too young for that in the mid to late 80s. But, I did listen to a lot of the songs that were played in the clubs at that time they were also played on FM radio. My mom always had the radio on when I was growing up. Or we watched MTV or VH1.

My favorites were Exposé, Stevie B., Madonna, The Cover Girls, Lisa Stansfield, Paula Abdul.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/26/18 at 3:42 pm

Yeah, I used to go clubbing. What I really hated about it was that they would play the music so loud that you had to get right near the ear of the person you wanted to say something to and SHOUT and hopefully, they would hear you. (I recently went to a wedding and the reception was that way, too.  :( )

There was one time I went with my next door neighbor for "Ladies Night." They had male dancers. They weren't the Chippendales but they did the same thing. They had a contest of which ever table was the loudest would win a bottle of champagne. My friend & I were sitting at a bar like thing along the dance floor with 3 other women we didn't know. The 5 of us were hootin' & hollerin' so loud that that bottle of champagne had our names on it. My friend & I were very happy to share that bottle with our 3 new friends. Come to find out, I used to belong to the unit their husband's were assigned to (military). BTW, I didn't tip any of the guys. When you tipped them, they kissed you. I was married and really didn't want to be kissed by some other guy.

I later found out that another friend was dating one of the dancers. When he ripped his leather dance pants, she knew I had a sewing machine and asked me to repair it. I had no idea what I was doing and did the best I could. I later heard that they ripped again during one of his performances and the ladies went wild so he basically tore them off-and then they went to the scrap heap after that. No repairing them after that.

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/26/18 at 6:01 pm

... they would play the music so loud that you had to get right near the ear of the person you wanted to say something to and SHOUT and hopefully, they would hear you ...

Indeed  >:(

... male dancers... When you tipped them, they kissed you. ...

Wow - I didn't go to any clubs like that :o

...he ripped his leather dance pants ... asked me to repair it... I later heard that they ripped again during one of his performances and the ladies went wild so he basically tore them off-and then they went to the scrap heap after that....

That's crazy!  ;D

Written By: nally on 06/26/18 at 6:05 pm

What I really hated about it was that they would play the music so loud that you had to get right near the ear of the person you wanted to say something to and SHOUT and hopefully, they would hear you.

Indeed  >:(

That sorta thing still happens these days, at other types of occasions too. I don't like to have to get RIGHT into people's faces to talk to them just because the music being played is too loud.

Written By: Howard on 06/27/18 at 2:03 pm

I was too young for that in the mid to late 80s. But, I did listen to a lot of the songs that were played in the clubs at that time they were also played on FM radio. My mom always had the radio on when I was growing up. Or we watched MTV or VH1.

My favorites were Exposé, Stevie B., Madonna, The Cover Girls, Lisa Stansfield, Paula Abdul.

Those were most of my favorites too.

Written By: Elor on 06/27/18 at 2:32 pm

Yeah, I used to go clubbing. What I really hated about it was that they would play the music so loud that you had to get right near the ear of the person you wanted to say something to and SHOUT and hopefully, they would hear you.

Indeed. That's what ruined clubbing for me in the late 90ies when I was in that age. My hearing is very sensitive to noise and it was just painful and I couldn't hear properly for 3 days after a visit to the local club. So I only went like 2-3 times in my entire life. But I don't regret it. I'm 36 now and already use hearing aid. There is no telling what would have happened if I had exposed my ears to that noise level more often. That noise level was borderline assault. 8-P

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/28/18 at 6:22 pm

TRUE STORY:

When I was in Greece, I went to a discotheque with some people I worked with. We were outside the club waiting for our ride but we could hear the music-because, as usual, they were playing it EXTREMELY loud.

I actually had my back to the road when I heard this BANG! I turned to see some guy sliding across the road and his moped was sliding after him. There was a parked car on the side of the road and he stopped moving at the tires of that parked car. I can't remember if the moped make it that far or not.  :o :o :o :o

Another car came up on the side of the road that we were on, they opened the back door and a bunch of guys picked up the guy like he was a log and put him in the back seat, close the door and the car was off-I assume to the hospital.

I was just standing there in horror trying to process what I just witnessed. Then I heard it. A new song being played in the discotheque. None other than "Another Bites The Dust".

When I heard it I said, "No, they can't be playing this." Of course there was no way that the DJ would have known what was going on outside.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...