inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Unsolved Mysteries/Robert Stack

Written By: violet_shy on 09/24/18 at 6:58 pm

Who else remembers watching this in the 80s/early 90s?! The theme song use to scare me so much! Not only that, but also Robert Stack's voice. Lol.  ;D

Subject: Re: Unsolved Mysteries/Robert Stack

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/24/18 at 9:05 pm

Who else remembers watching this in the 80s/early 90s?! The theme song use to scare me so much! Not only that, but also Robert Stack's voice. Lol.  ;D

I remember that. It also makes me think of "In Search Of" hosted by Leonard Nimoy. It ran from 1977-1982, but it many ways it was a quintessentially 70s show. In those days there was a great interest in the type of mysterious phenomena covered by the show. There has recently been a reboot of the show hosted by Zachary Quinto. I guess somebody thought they were being cute by getting him, since, like Nimoy, Quinto now portrays Mr. Spock in Star Trek movies. But the new version lacks the gravitas of the original, if you ask me. It's gimmicky and melodramatic whereas the original was very earnest, true to the 70s era it was in.

Written By: andersenb11775 on 09/25/18 at 4:03 am

I remember that. It also makes me think of "In Search Of" hosted by Leonard Nimoy. It ran from 1977-1982, but it many ways it was a quintessentially 70s show. In those days there was a great interest in the type of mysterious phenomena covered by the show. There has recently been a reboot of the show hosted by Zachary Quinto. I guess somebody thought they were being cute by getting him, since, like Nimoy, Quinto now portrays Mr. Spock in Star Trek movies. But the new version lacks the gravitas of the original, if you ask me. It's gimmicky and melodramatic whereas the original was very earnest, true to the 70s era it was in.

I really enjoyed this show (and not just because the host was Leonard Nimoy). It dealt with mysteries that I was really interested in: Aliens, ghosts, monsters, lost civilizations, missing persons, etc. Most of the time, you knew you were going to get something good.

Mind you, in the decades since this show was made, some of the mysteries they examined have been solved. One of the episodes dealt with the mystery of Anna Anderson and whether or not she was the Grand Duchess Anastasia of Russia. Of course, we know that mystery has been solved, thanks to DNA Science (which didn't exist when this show was made). Said science proved that Anna Anderson was not Anastasia. In fact, Anastasia died with the rest of her family in 1918.

However, many of the mysteries this show looked at remain unsolved to this very day.

Also, this show looks at history and that perhaps the history we know is not necessarily the right one. One episode dealt with the idea of Chinese explorers making it to North America about a thousand years before Columbus.

Many episodes of this show are available on YouTube. I highly recommend you check them out.

Written By: violet_shy on 09/25/18 at 6:36 am

http://i65.tinypic.com/ta249k.jpg

Written By: Knew Wave on 09/25/18 at 10:16 pm

"In Search Of" might be the best show of its kind. It was often imitated, but it was never duplicated. It stressed substance over style, and that became a foreign concept. It remains the gold standard of speculative series that deal with mysterious events and paranormal subjects.

Check for new replies or respond here...