inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Reasons to Dislike the Late 80s

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/31/18 at 12:22 am

What are some things that bother you from the years 1987 to 1989?

I’ll start:

- Big hair (the higher the hair, the closer to god idea from the 60s returns, only it’s much worst this time around)/ The Tammy Faye Bakker makeup ( :o )

- Shoulder pad jackets (again,  :o)

- The last seasons of the G1 Transformers cartoon. Zombie Optimus Prime? Headmasters?

-  ALF becoming a kid friendly show.

- Michael Jackson’s Bad (Beat It was better)

- Thirtysomething (aka Whinysomething) reaches popularity in 1989

- The breakdancing movement ends.

- Black Monday/Baby Jessica falling down the well/Exxon Valadez/Crack epidemic

- Top 40 Music (Rick Astley, Richard Marx, and Bette Midler) I heard even Bobby McFerrin does not like performing “Don’t Worry, Be Happy” at concerts.

- Drum machines!  8-P

- Sonny Crocket and Rico Tubbs grow beards. As if the alien abduction episode with James Brown wasn’t bad enough.

- The Real Ghostbusters title change. It becomes SLIMER and the Real Ghostbusters. What was ever so special about the little green spud? Can someone please tell me.

- The Coreys in movies together. The Lost Boys was their best film. It was downhill for them after that.

- The movies for Garbage Pail Kids and Masters of the Universe. Skeletor looked like a sitcom character that got pied in the face a lot. It was awful.

- Teddy Ruxpin and My Pet Monster. There were cartoons and a movie for them. Yeah, the 80s were weird.

Any more?

Subject: Re: Reasons to Dislike the Late 80s

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/31/18 at 3:19 am

- Top 40 Music (Rick Ahh…sley, Switch-hard Marx, and Bette Middler) I heard even Bobby McFerrin does not like performing “Don’t Worry, Be Happy” at concerts.

- Drum machines!  8-P

Bobby McFerrin performed at the Prom Concerts for the BBC, and still performed his famous song.

Yes, drum machines, made drummers redundant!

Written By: yelimsexa on 10/31/18 at 7:38 am

My comments below.

I’ll start:

- Big hair (the higher the hair, the closer to god idea from the 60s returns, only it’s much worst this time around)/ The Tammy Faye Bakker makeup ( :o )

Big hair in terms of heaving weaving and perming was starting to get popular in 1985-86, but '87 added crimping onto the teasing/perming, making most ladies look like clowns!

- Shoulder pad jackets (again,  :o)

It's just typical '80s fashion, but the late '80s in particular had a lot of weird geometric patterns and squiggles in women's fashion that many still laugh at today.

- The last seasons of the G1 Transformers cartoon.

Post-movie, most agree that Rodimus was now Optimus Prime, but at least Nintendo was smart enough not to release the video game inAmerica.

-  ALF becoming a kid friendly show.

ALF was pretty much this from the start since pretty much anything that has puppets is targeted towards children.

- Michael Jackson’s Bad (Beat It was better)

Most fans say Off The Wall and Thriller were better albums, but The Way You Make Me Feel and Smooth Criminal are almost as well liked as Billie Jean and Beat It, as is Man In The Mirror. 

- Thirtysomething (aka Whinysomething) reaches popularity in 1989

I don't see how it was so annoying as it did win Emmys. I think the late '80s was the best part of the decade for TV actually. L.A. Law and In The Heat Of The Night were the new hot drama shows, in addition to the ongoing sitcom renaissance. Xennials/older Millennials should watch it today for inspiration, especially since being "thirtysomething" like they are today seemed like an eon into the future when it was on.

- The breakdancing movement ends.

Breakdancing was destined to be a fad, but freestyle, golden-age hip hop, and early house music was popular.

- Black Monday/Baby Jessica falling down the well/Exxon Valadez/Crack epidemic

Every era has its bad news, and you could add the Iran-Contra affair to this list. But the rest of the '80s had its share of bad news.

- Top 40 Music (Rick Ahh…sley, Switch-hard Marx, and Bette Middler) I heard even Bobby McFerrin does not like performing “Don’t Worry, Be Happy” at concerts. 

Also, the glam metal scene had sold out compared to what it had been earlier in the decade, with mandatory radio-friendly ballads on each album. At least alternative was in its golden age, as was new age, and there's some underrated quiet storm/R&B of this time.

- Drum machines!  8-P

They were actually quite prevalent throughout the mid-80s as well, and some like the TR-808 have some nostalgic elements that certain people like, and they're an essential component in old school hip hop.

- Sonny Crocket and Rico Tubbs grow beards. As if the alien abduction episode with James Brown wasn’t bad enough.

I also see the departure of Jan Hammer after Season 2 as a part on Miami Vice's decline, the music no longer had the special appeal that made it a hit during Season 1 summer reruns and Season 2.

- The Real Ghostbusters title change. It becomes SLIMER and the Real Ghostbusters. What was ever so special about the little green spud? Can someone please tell me.

This, I agree on as it not only changed the title of the show, but allowed for the four main Ghostbusters to have less time devoted to them. It was the top reason for the show's decline on the old Jump The Shark website, and shortly afterwards, people moved on to TMNT.

- The Coreys in movies together. The Lost Boys was their best film. It was downhill for them after that.

Not too familiar with them, but I'd agree its hard to top The Lost Boys.

- The movies for Garbage Pail Kids and Masters of the Universe. Skeletor looked a sitcom character that got pied in the face. It was awful.

I agree after '86, MOTU merchandise was quickly heading for the clearance racks.

- Teddy Ruxpin and My Pet Monster. There were cartoons and a movie for them. Yeah, the 80s were weird.

Another sign that the "make a cartoon for anything" trend was going tired, but Teddy Ruxpin was well liked when it was just plush animals, and I believe have gotten one for my first Christmas/birthday.

Any more?

Subject: Reasons to Dislike the Late 80s

Written By: Dude111 on 10/31/18 at 11:00 am

Many reasons to dislike the who decade!!!

Digital crap ruining beautiful analogue media!!!!!!!

Destroying our past of beautiful music and video stuff......... (Actually it started in the mid 70s)

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/31/18 at 2:00 pm

Bobby McFerrin performed at the Prom Concerts for the BBC, and still performed his famous song.

That’s one down. Now what happened to Buster Poindexter, Escape Club, and Billy Ocean? Does Stamos still perform with The Beach Boys?

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/31/18 at 2:05 pm

That’s one down. Now what happened to Buster Poindexter, Escape Club, and Billy Ocean? Does Stamos still perform with The Beach Boys?
In 2002, the University of Westminster, London, awarded Billy Ocean an honorary doctorate of music. In 2010, Ocean was presented with the Lifetime Achievement Award at the MOBO Awards. On 29 July 2011, Ocean became a Companion of the Liverpool Institute for Performing Arts, presented to him by Sir Paul McCartney.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/31/18 at 9:58 pm

ALF was pretty much this from the start since pretty much anything that has puppets is targeted towards children.

This ALF: 1Km41Y-Phcg

His nose is phallic shaped and he’s always trying to get Lucky (the cat). That’s a show for kids?!

Many reasons to dislike the who decade!!!

Digital crap ruining beautiful analogue media!!!!!!!

Destroying our past of beautiful music and video stuff......... (Actually it started in the mid 70s)

I hear you.

Emotion in movies was gone during the 1980s. No more Love Story like films in
those times.

70s cinema > 80s cinema

Written By: Elor on 11/01/18 at 3:30 am

His nose is phallic shaped...

Only in America.... ::)
I don't see anything remotely reminding me of a penis when looking at his nose. ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/01/18 at 3:32 am

Only in America.... ::)
I don't see anything remotely reminding me of a penis when looking at his nose. ???
...unless it is a different shape over there?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/01/18 at 5:14 am

I can see what they mean, but to be phallic it has to be under certain circumstances?

Written By: Howard on 11/01/18 at 5:23 am

This ALF: 1Km41Y-Phcg

His nose is phallic shaped and he’s always trying to get Lucky (the cat). That’s a show for kids?!

I hear you.

Emotion in movies was gone during the 1980s. No more Love Story like films in
those times.

70s cinema > 80s cinema

Yes, ALF was a show for all ages even I watched it in 1986.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/01/18 at 5:30 am

It was shown in the UK, and had back then a good following.

Written By: Elor on 11/01/18 at 6:37 am

It was shown in the UK, and had back then a good following.
Same here in Germany.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/01/18 at 7:33 am

Following the end of the series a made-for-television movie was produced, in 1996, intending to give the series a proper end. Project ALF starts right after the series final episode but, especially because the absence of the Tanners, it failed at obtaining success.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 11/01/18 at 7:42 pm

- Remote Control and repeats of The Monkees are on MTV. That is what happens when Viacom purchases MTV.

- Fashion mistakes from the mid 80s were still around. Skinny ties and sports coats with the sleeves rolled up?! Never again.

- Angus MacGyver, social worker.

- Some Kind of Wonderful. It wasn’t Pretty In Pink by any margin.

- Freddy Krueger turns into a one-line comic in Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master.

- Revenge of the Nerds 2: Nerds in Paradise. Beverly Hills Cop 2. Crocodile Dundee 2. Short Circuit 2. Rambo 3. Cocoon 2. Ghostbusters 2. Karate Kid Part 3. The Fly 2. The less said about them, the better.

- Brown leather jackets on teenagers. They should have left those to Kevin Costner and early 90s Rod Stewart (Rhythm of my Heart music video).

- Music artists that we all loved in the mid 80s starring in films. When is the last time you have heard of Disorderlies, Tougher Than Leather, Buster, or Vibes? It would have to have been in 1989 or ‘90.

- Soleil Moon Frye is no longer a child star. I’m surprised her character didn’t lose the moniker “Punky” when she became a teenager. Punky always sounded, to me, like
a name given to a poodle by a rich woman.

- Vicki the robot on Small Wonder looking a lot less like she did in 1985. She was supposed to be a robot girl, not Extendar from Masters of the Universe.

- The other syndicated sitcoms on TV at that time (I.e. - You Can’t Take It With You, She’s the Sheriff, The New Monkees, and We Got It Made).

- Max Headroom/The Overplayed “Two of Hearts” by Stacey Q (originally released in 1986). The stuttering! Make it stop!

- Mike Tyson & Robin Givens tie the knot and then divorce. It ruined Head of the Class for a lot of people.

- All of the Gremlins knock-offs (Troll, Critters, Munchies, Spookies, Ghoulies, Hobogoblins, Boglins, and Puppet Master). One Gremlins was enough.

- A Very Special Mr. Belvedere: Wesley is touched by a Scoutmaster.

- There wasn’t a new slasher movie villain. Child’s Play was a spoof of the slashers that came before it.

- The 60s Throwback. Men wearing ponytails…

Written By: Howard on 11/02/18 at 2:36 pm

Same here in Germany.

and it ran for a total of 4 years.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 11/02/18 at 9:43 pm

- The Day-time Talk Show Explosion. Yep, after Oprah came loudmouth Morton Downey Jr in the late 80s.

- High-waist jeans on women.

- Jackèe Harry leaves 227 to star in her failed spin-off, Jackèe. Barry Sobel and Stoney Jackson just couldn’t fill Jackèe’s shoes. The show was over after that.

- Big Top Pee-Wee. Large Marge…Tim Burton…Where are you?!

- The Catchit surfer shorts controversy.
Cat-chit sounded like Catsheesh to Boomers?! Really?

- The onslaught of Mad Balls fakes. Let’s see. There were Ugly Balls, Odd Balls, Weird Balls, Crazy Balls, Monster Balls, Spit Balls, Trash Head Spit Balls, and I’m going to just buy my son a stress ball already because they’re cheaper.

- The late 80s were the ‘Jason Scheff era’ for Chicago fans. That nasally voice of his. The less said, the better. 

- Swatch-Mania. You have to a 1987 Swatch, Swatch Guard, one of the new 1988 POP Swatches, a regular 1988 Swatch, a Swatch Clock for the bedroom, a Swatch Guard Too Large, a Swatch Quartz to show off, a Swatch Twin Phone, a 1989 Swatch. Ugh, enough already.

- Police Academy 4 to 6. Geez. Why not make Police Academy into a primetime sitcom?!

Written By: robby76 on 11/05/18 at 5:40 am

What I hated most about the late 80s, were the way movies were filmed. They all seemed very dark and filmed in studios... windows blacked out, lots of smoke machines etc. Can't really explain it, but it was a far cry from the happy colourful mid 80s feel.

Written By: wsmith4 on 11/05/18 at 8:30 am

What I hated most about the late 80s, were the way movies were filmed. They all seemed very dark and filmed in studios... windows blacked out, lots of smoke machines etc. Can't really explain it, but it was a far cry from the happy colourful mid 80s feel.

::)

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 11/05/18 at 11:40 am

- The backlash against the newest cartoons by Boomers at the time. I love Looney Tunes, Betty Boop, Popeye, Mickey, and Minnie as much as the next guy, but there was no need to put down M.A.S.K., Jem, The Real Ghostbusters, or Rainbow Brite in favor of those toons. Watch The New Adventures of Mighty Mouse from 1988 and you’ll see what I’m talking about.

- Phil Hartman leaves Pee Wee’s Playhouse to join the cast of SNL. How could you look at Captain Carl and not laugh?

- Huge hair bows and long banana clips.

- Everything that had to do with the words “electric” and “youth” in 1989 (except for the Revlon perfume that girls my age and younger used to wear). Eeeeeee-lec-tric YOUTH! >BOOM< Just awful. Sorry if that brings back bad memories of seeing that dreadful music video.

- The forgotten “hip hop” one-hit wonders. We like the cars, the cars that go boom. We're Tigra and Bunny and we like the boom. We like the cars, the cars that go boom. We're Tigra and Bunny and we like the boom. As you can see, they were no Salt-N-Pepa. Those songs are best left forgotten as far as rap fans are concerned.

- The Goonies 2 is made for the Nintendo Entertainment System, but not the local cinema. Late Xers and Xennials everywhere wanted The Goonies, but we had to settle for The Monster Squad.

- The cheesy Sci-Fi comedy movies and their soundtracks. How Animotion went from being a new wave band with “Obsession” to a dance-pop band with “Room to Move” is beyond me. Let’s not even talk about “‘Cause I’m a Blonde” by Julie Brown. Perhaps, all I had to say was Julie.

Written By: BornIn86 on 11/12/18 at 5:31 pm

I actually know what you're talking about. I knew there was something odd about how things were during that era. The late 80s, early early 90s just didn't feel...natural.

I'm not saying that's good or bad. I'm just saying how I felt.

Written By: wsmith4 on 11/13/18 at 8:53 am

- The backlash against the newest cartoons by Boomers at the time. I love Looney Tunes, Betty Boop, Popeye, Mickey, and Minnie as much as the next guy, but there was no need to put down M.A.S.K., Jem, The Real Ghostbusters, or Rainbow Brite in favor of those toons. Watch The New Adventures of Mighty Mouse from 1988 and you’ll see what I’m talking about.

- Phil Hartman leaves Pee Wee’s Playhouse to join the cast of SNL. How could you look at Captain Carl and not laugh?

- Huge hair bows and long banana clips.

- Everything that had to do with the words “electric” and “youth” in 1989 (except for the Revlon perfume that girls my age and younger used to wear). Eeeeeee-lec-tric YOUTH! >BOOM< Just awful. Sorry if that brings back bad memories of seeing that dreadful music video.

- The forgotten “hip hop” one-hit wonders. We like the cars, the cars that go boom. We're Tigra and Bunny and we like the boom. We like the cars, the cars that go boom. We're Tigra and Bunny and we like the boom. As you can see, they were no Salt-N-Pepa. Those songs are best left forgotten as far as rap fans are concerned.

- The Goonies 2 is made for the Nintendo Entertainment System, but not the local cinema. Late Xers and Xennials everywhere wanted The Goonies, but we had to settle for The Monster Squad.

- The cheesy Sci-Fi comedy movies and their soundtracks. How Animotion went from being a new wave band with “Obsession” to a dance-pop band with “Room to Move” is beyond me. Let’s not even talk about “‘Cause I’m a Blonde” by Julie Brown. Perhaps, all I had to say was Julie.

Yes! I totally agree with everything you've said here.  These were absolutely some of the best things about the 80's that I loved the most!!

Written By: cowboy on 02/02/19 at 3:47 am

- Bigger hair than in the early 80s. Early 80s feathered hair looked neater.
- Less experimentation with music videos.
- The ordinary people clothes were cheesier, trying to look like pop stars but failing.
- Full House - it was overrated. The 90s sitcom Step By Step has stood the test of time better.

ALF, and a few song gems here and there (mostly European dance songs) were the only good things about the late 80s.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/03/19 at 9:33 pm

You could tell by 1989 that the 1980's were past their peak.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/12/19 at 11:59 am

- The late 80s were the ‘Jason Scheff era’ for Chicago fans. That nasally voice of his. The less said, the better. 

yeah Cetera leaving Chicago made them weaker imo. Despite the fact that he was ushering out the horn section.
And Danny getting fired basically destroyed the band.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/04/19 at 12:48 am

That’s exactly what I hate about “Beetlejuice” and “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation”.  :o

Written By: Dj. on 08/08/19 at 6:42 pm

new jack swing, but apart from that not much it might actually be my favorite part of the 80s

Written By: Retrolover on 08/08/19 at 7:40 pm

new jack swing, but apart from that not much it might actually be my favorite part of the 80s

Late Gen Xer R&B killed off that genre completely for Boomers, Jones, and early Xers in the late 80s. R&B hasn’t recovered since. :o

Written By: 80sfan on 08/15/19 at 5:55 pm

Everything was very large and boxy.  ;D

Written By: rapplepop on 08/17/19 at 1:31 am

I find that music from 1988 and 1989 is not as good generally as music from the rest of the decade. Though there is some exceptions like Taylor Dayne who I love.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/17/19 at 8:59 am

I find that music from 1988 and 1989 is not as good generally as music from the rest of the decade. Though there is some exceptions like Taylor Dayne who I love.

The very late 80s pop music wasn’t that different from how it was in 1986.

1986:

Sly Fox - Let’s Go All the Way

LGPrBxUwBHw

1988: 

Giant Steps - Another Lover

xGxwWA10jHA

Written By: Retrolover on 08/17/19 at 11:51 am

Everything was very large and boxy.  ;D

Like what? The cars? Shoulder pads?

Please give examples.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/17/19 at 2:11 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYKupOsaJmk

Was (Not Was) - Walk The Dinosaur (1988)

Not the same. Was (Not Was) is not a two man group.

Did you like that song by Was (Not Was) or is it one of the reasons you don’t like the late 80s? ???

Written By: Howard on 08/17/19 at 2:39 pm

Not the same. Was (Not Was) is not a two man group.

Did you like that song by Was (Not Was) or is it one of the reasons you don’t like the late 80s? ???

I like that song by Was Not Was but I like late 80's.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/17/19 at 4:24 pm

I like that song by Was Not Was but I like late 80's.

“Walk the Dinosaur” really fueled the dinosaur craze of the 80s and 90s.

What do you like about the late 80s?

Written By: Howard on 08/18/19 at 2:08 pm

“Walk the Dinosaur” really fueled the dinosaur craze of the 80s and 90s.

What do you like about the late 80s?

The old school rap by Young MC And Tone Loc.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/18/19 at 2:32 pm

The old school rap by Young MC And Tone Loc.

RUN DMC was larger than both of them in the late 80s and early 90s.

Check for new replies or respond here...