inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Some '80s fashion

Written By: violet_shy on 12/21/18 at 7:55 pm

Just some authentic '80s fashion for ya. My blouse from 1989. A red with denim blouse. I wore this to my cousin's birthday party. That denim on the shoulders, is soo 80s!!

Subject: Re: Some '80s fashion

Written By: Elor on 12/22/18 at 4:40 am

I don't see anything. ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/22/18 at 5:02 am

There was am image last night, it appears to had been edited out by the op.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/22/18 at 5:16 am

There was am image last night, it appears to had been edited out by the op.
The same has happened to a similar thread on the 90's board.

Written By: cowboy on 02/24/19 at 7:32 am

This poster/movie is a fine example of how normal people looked circa 1983:
https://i2.wp.com/www.curbsideclassic.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/the_big_chill.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/24/19 at 7:35 am

This poster/movie is a fine example of how normal people looked circa 1983:
https://i2.wp.com/www.curbsideclassic.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/the_big_chill.jpg
Back then, I was wearing a suit to work!  ;D

Written By: violet_shy on 11/18/21 at 6:06 pm

Does anyone else remember stirrup pants? I was remembering them earlier this week and I laughed my heart out! They were a fad up until the mid 90s.

Ok to anyone that doesn't remember, stirrup pants were similar to leggings only they were tapered at the ankle. I really never understood what the idea was with the tapered legs. When I wore thick socks, the socks would cover them so it would look like I was wearing leggings....weird, lol.

https://i.ibb.co/r0R1Xmt/20211118-185823.jpg

Written By: karen on 11/19/21 at 7:24 am

I had several pairs of those. I think they were called ski pants here. I can remember black, pink and possibly green pairs

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/19/21 at 9:31 am

Does anyone else remember stirrup pants? I was remembering them earlier this week and I laughed my heart out! They were a fad up until the mid 90s.

Oh yes, very much so - I had several pairs.  I didn't wear them in the summer but they were great in the cold with short tie-up booties and long tunic sweaters (the sweaters having thick shoulder pads).

Written By: karen on 11/19/21 at 11:19 am

I remember wearing the green pair with a pink crop top and a floral over shirt

Written By: violet_shy on 11/19/21 at 11:30 am

Oh yes, very much so - I had several pairs.  I didn't wear them in the summer but they were great in the cold with short tie-up booties and long tunic sweaters (the sweaters having thick shoulder pads).

I always wore them with thick socks, or the multi-colored socks I called them "Party socks".

I remember wearing the green pair with a pink crop top and a floral over shirt

I think they were thicker than leggings. I still don't get what the idea was with the tapered legs.

Written By: karen on 11/19/21 at 12:01 pm

I think they were thicker than leggings. I still don't get what the idea was with the tapered legs.

Two pairs of mine were made of a similar material to a sweatshirt, sort of fleece inside but smooth on the outside.

My black pair were some kind of polyester type of material. I completely ruined them really the first time I wore them. I was at a concert on the front row bouncing up and down to the music. I didn’t realise how rough the surface of the crowd barrier was and the front of my pants went all bobbly.

Written By: karen on 11/19/21 at 12:03 pm

As to the shape of them, I don’t know why they were that shape, but you can say about anything. Why were flares that shape. Who decided that jumpers (sweaters) with bat wings should be a thing, etc

Written By: Mushroom on 11/21/21 at 5:19 pm

Here is one anybody would instantly recognize.

https://bestlifeonline.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2019/01/members-only-jacket-stranger-things.jpg

Written By: Contigo on 11/21/21 at 5:28 pm

Oh oh, I lived through the 80s (as an adult)  and I have no idea who that  is.

Written By: Mushroom on 11/21/21 at 6:54 pm

Oh oh, I lived through the 80s (as an adult)  and I have no idea who that  is.

Not the person, what he is wearing.

Member's Only jackets.

Written By: karen on 11/24/21 at 3:40 pm

Not the person, what he is wearing.

Member's Only jackets.

I have often seen people here talk about this jacket. I had no idea what it was though, not ever a thing in the U.K. Is the name a brand name?

Closest thing we had was the Harrington jacket - a black bomber jacket with a red check lining

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/24/21 at 3:51 pm

This was the '80s fashion that I mostly wore.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51703008468_ce308b8a81.jpg

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...