inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: “First Time” by Robin Beck

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 01/06/19 at 4:05 pm

This song originated as a jingle in a 1988 Coca-Cola commercial, which spawned a wildly successful single all across Europe. It did not chart in her home U.S. however.

There are two different versions of the music video with noticably different tracks. The seemingly more popular version is in black and white and features scenes of Beck in her apartment getting ready for a date.

oXk-PPmH5ak

The other features Beck performing the song on stage with the band typical of many late ‘80s music videos. Though not live, the vocals are a bit more raw and the guitar riffs are different. This version is rarer to find on YouTube so I’m guessing this is the unsuccessful American version.

Bh6-L98l6eE

She had a fantastic, powerful voice and deserved more attention in the U.S. but she may have been a victim of the fact that this style of music was on its way out. Do any Europeans on this board remember this great song?

Subject: Re: “First Time” by Robin Beck

Written By: robby76 on 01/07/19 at 5:19 am

Oh man this song was huge back in the day. Went to no1 in the UK on the strength of the Coke advert. It was a worldwide hit too (Europe, Australia, Asia).

Me and my friends sang this at a school singing competition... we didn't place.  :D

oXk-PPmH5ak

Written By: robby76 on 01/07/19 at 5:23 am

She had a fantastic, powerful voice and deserved more attention in the U.S. but she may have been a victim of the fact that this style of music was on its way out.

The beginning sounds like Roxette, who were huge in the 90s. I wouldn't say the style of music was on it's way out.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/03/19 at 2:03 am

I remember this record well, for the main reason it knocked Enya's "Orinoco Flow" off the top of the UK Charts.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 09/29/19 at 6:11 pm

The beginning sounds like Roxette, who were huge in the 90s. I wouldn't say the style of music was on it's way out.

Roxette all but disappeared in the US after the 1991 Joyride album, which was very successful, but they only had three charted singles after it and none cracked the top 40.

Written By: Howard on 09/30/19 at 5:27 am

The only Robin Beck song that I know is "Sweet Talk" and that was in 1979.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RgQoUMNaCU

Check for new replies or respond here...