inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Cold War America's Child Sweetheart

Written By: andersenb11775 on 03/16/19 at 2:36 am

Remembering America's Sweetheart, Cold War child peace activist Samantha Smith.

https://i.imgur.com/VZ0b9UT.jpg

Subject: Re: Cold War America's Child Sweetheart

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/10/19 at 3:41 am

Oh, so tragic.

Written By: andersenb11775 on 09/20/19 at 9:53 am

I think that if the plane crash hadn't happened, and "Lime Street" had been moved by ABC away from the death slot opposite "The Golden Girls", Samantha would have been a serious television crush for many boys in the mid to late eighties, Just as Danica McKellar was a few years later.

Written By: TheGipper on 10/27/19 at 1:28 am

Many moons ago I wrote a way too lengthy project on her. Wish I still had it I would post it since a lot of info on Samantha other than the basic facts doesn't seem to be online.

I found out why the movie was never green lit. If they dug any deeper than the basic story it turns into a story about a young girl letting fame go to her head and becoming irate anytime the Soviet thing was brought up.

They should've pulled the trigger anyways. She's slipping through the cracks of history and it really was an amazing story for its time.

Written By: andersenb11775 on 01/09/20 at 2:39 am

Saving "Lime Street" requires not only Samantha to live, as her death caused everything to fall apart (according to "The Show Must Go On" book), but you also need the ABC top brass to be willing to move it to a safe and winnable time slot away from the unexpected success of "The Golden Girls".

Written By: andersenb11775 on 02/14/20 at 4:15 am

Many moons ago I wrote a way too lengthy project on her. Wish I still had it I would post it since a lot of info on Samantha other than the basic facts doesn't seem to be online.

I found out why the movie was never green lit. If they dug any deeper than the basic story it turns into a story about a young girl letting fame go to her head and becoming irate anytime the Soviet thing was brought up.

They should've pulled the trigger anyways. She's slipping through the cracks of history and it really was an amazing story for its time.

Maybe a Samantha Smith telemovie made now could intrigue the Eighties nostalgics who watch "Stranger Things"?

Written By: andersenb11775 on 02/21/20 at 2:43 am

Looking at the newspaper editorial cartoons at the time of Samantha's visit that are up on samanthasmith.info, most of them depict her in a dress or skirt plus long hair. Shows the age of most editorial cartoonists in 1983.

Check for new replies or respond here...