inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why do people born in the the early-mid 80s have worse memories?

Written By: fgbn on 05/26/19 at 9:43 am

On every GenDec forum ive been too its always the same patterns (almost to the degree that i would suspect it being the same users with various alts) those born in the early and mid 80s claim that they cant remember anything before the age of 8 or whatever, meanwhile we have those born in 86 and onwards claiming to remember anything from age 3 or 4 at the latest.

Why is this the case? could it have something to do with Chernobyl?

Subject: Re: Why do people born in the the early-mid 80s have worse memories?

Written By: 2001 on 05/26/19 at 9:47 am

I like to think that it's the younger people being try-hards by being claiming to remember every single thing that happened at ages 3/4. I have a few memories from being 3, but I would be so off the mark if I claimed to 'remember 1996' in any meaningful way. I remember 1997-1999 too, but not with the same authority as someone who was say 8 or 10 or 25 at the time.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/31/20 at 4:41 pm

When this generation turned into their teens, they became reliant on the Internet for information, and not committing the info to their brains.

Written By: wagonman76 on 08/31/20 at 4:55 pm

Well for one, as many people get older, newer memories replace older memories. So it’s natural that the younger you are, the more likely you are to remember earlier ages. In general anyway.

I happen to remember things from when I was 2 1/2 and up. I have known people my age who have great memories of their early years. And I have known people who can’t remember before they were 8 or so.

So I don’t think it has anything to do with any time period in particular.

Written By: violet_shy on 09/01/20 at 8:49 am

I was born in 80, and I have a good memory. I can remember when my mom use to feed me, and everything from the ages of 3 and on.

Written By: Howard on 09/01/20 at 1:52 pm

I was born in 80, and I have a good memory. I can remember when my mom use to feed me, and everything from the ages of 3 and on.

I was born in 1974 but my memory isn't that great but I can only remember some certain things from my childhood.

Written By: nally on 09/01/20 at 2:03 pm

^^ I, too, have a great memory, mainly from age 4 (1984) onward. Anything I may recall from earlier is fuzzy.

Written By: Moonlighting on 02/22/21 at 10:03 pm

Me too. I was born in '76 and I have one or two memories from around age 2, then from 3 onward I can remember things very vividly.

Written By: Howard on 02/23/21 at 3:39 am

Me too. I was born in '76 and I have one or two memories from around age 2, then from 3 onward I can remember things very vividly.

I was born in 1974 and I have some memories from 1980 and after that.

Check for new replies or respond here...