inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why are people born in 1987 so obsessed with the early 90s?

Written By: fgbn on 05/26/19 at 10:03 am

On every forum of this sort that i visit its always the same thing, ive probably encountered atleast eight people born in 1987 and they have two recurring hallmarks
first an excellent memory that enables them to remember anything from age 3 crystal clearly (1986 borns claim that its age 4 and 1985 borns age 5 when the memory is crystal clear), and secondly a need to point out that they can remember the early 90s and that it apparently makes them the last year of "early Y" and giving them a bit of Gen X characteristics and makes so them different from those born 1 or 2 years later (who apparently cant remember a single year of the early 90s) and more similar to those born in 85/86 (who doesnt feel the same way about the 1987ers of course.....)

So tell me, what is is the root cause of 1987ers fascination with the early 90s (i never see people born before or after sharing the same obsession)
arent they supposed to be mid 90s kids with their "mathematical peak" in 1995? and by the "decade kid rules" therefore almost by law should feel as if the early 90s was a less important part of their lives considering it wasnt their so called "core childhood"

Subject: Re: Why are people born in 1987 so obsessed with the early 90s?

Written By: violet_shy on 05/26/19 at 1:36 pm

Maybe they want so much to remember, that they make themselves believe that they do? I don't think people in general remember with clarity when they were 2 or 3 or even 4 years old. That is too young and memories are always fuzzy. I can understand if someone born in 1987 remembers the later part of the 90s it makes more sense.

I wish I could remember 1981 to 1983 clearly. But sadly I don't. Only vague, fuzzy memories.

Written By: Howard on 05/26/19 at 2:20 pm

Maybe they want so much to remember, that they make themselves believe that they do? I don't think people in general remember with clarity when they were 2 or 3 or even 4 years old. That is too young and memories are always fuzzy. I can understand if someone born in 1987 remembers the later part of the 90s it makes more sense.

I wish I could remember 1981 to 1983 clearly. But sadly I don't. Only vague, fuzzy memories.

I can barely remember 1981 and 1983 but some pictures I have around the house proves where I was at that time.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/12/19 at 2:00 am

Simply because the childhood years are the best of your life!

Written By: Retrolover on 06/19/19 at 4:20 pm

The identity for most ‘87 borns was formed in the early 90s. Now that 87 borns in their 30s, they are looking back at that time.

Written By: Skittler on 07/25/19 at 11:26 pm

I was born in 87 and I didn't enjoy the 90s that much. I developed my taste for music, movies, video games, and the way I view things around 2002-2003 (mid/late teens) so that time period holds more nostalgia and fond memories for me. 

Written By: yelimsexa on 07/26/19 at 6:29 am

I was born in 87 and I didn't enjoy the 90s that much. I developed my taste for music, movies, video games, and the way I view things around 2002-2003 (mid/late teens) so that time period holds more nostalgia and fond memories for me.

Still, you and other born that year were quintessential '90s kids, from Barney in kindergarten to Power Rangers in elementary school to Pokemon in middle school. The teenage/young adult trends (music, movies, fashion) are of course targeted toward the '00s (except for the "kiddie" culture), with the '10s culture being a bit more mature with things like Bruno Mars and Breaking Bad, along with carryovers of things that got popular in the '00s. A lot like how 1957 borns (like my dad) seem to  LOVE the '70s, with a bit of '60s and '80s here and there. He enjoys Rocky & Bullwinkle from the early '60s just like how you may enjoy Ren & Stimpy or Captain Planet, but you were too young to appreciate the Teen/Adult trends at the time. Note that Beverly Hills 90210 is about to make a comeback, but it seems like Generation X and Xennials are the target demo since they fondly remember watching that when it was new, and core Millenials don't have too much appreciation, since the original series progressed from high school to college to postgrad/young adult life, as opposed to taking the Saved By The Bell route with newer classes.

However, I noticed you mentioned video games, which is quite surprising since during the early '90s, they were seen as for "kids" in the media and not adults, since this was before violent bloody fighting games become common. You were in the target audience to enjoy classic Sonic the Hedgehog, Super Mario World, and even later in the '90s with the original PlayStation and Nintendo 64. Perhaps you feel that '90s games are too primitive to be enjoyable, but of course, a lot of classic '90s games have made comebacks, from new mods to retro-inspired remakes.

Written By: exodus08 on 07/26/19 at 3:39 pm

I would think that someone born in 1987 would be more Nostalgic when they were between the ages of 6-12 (1993-1999).

Written By: piecesof93 on 07/26/19 at 6:23 pm

They may have enjoyed their early childhood (because they can definitely remember the early 90s) more than their core. The early 90s was more colorful and livid than the mid. Sounds like something that would attract a kid to me.

Written By: Skittler on 07/26/19 at 6:37 pm

However, I noticed you mentioned video games, which is quite surprising since during the early '90s, they were seen as for "kids" in the media and not adults, since this was before violent bloody fighting games become common. You were in the target audience to enjoy classic Sonic the Hedgehog, Super Mario World, and even later in the '90s with the original PlayStation and Nintendo 64. Perhaps you feel that '90s games are too primitive to be enjoyable, but of course, a lot of classic '90s games have made comebacks, from new mods to retro-inspired remakes.

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed certain video games of the 90s but during that point as a preteen I was going outside more and playing with friends so video game weren't as important. When I got into my teenage years and GTA III was released it blew me away and created a life long gamer. Music too as I associate early 2000s popular music I was listening to at the time to falling in love the first time, meeting new people, and learning about myself.

And yes I watched Power Rangers, Saved By The Bell, played Goldeneye, Sonic, Super Mario, and listened to Limp Bizkit and Blink 182 but I'm really not that nostalgic for any of it because none of that really shaped who I was or changed me. My teenage years (after 2000) made a huge impact on how I am today so I relate to it more than I do the 90s but I guess everyone born in 1987 are different. Just offering a contrasting view since OP thinks everyone born in 1987 is obsessed with the 90s :).

Written By: Retrolover on 07/26/19 at 8:12 pm

‘87 babies are the first Millennials. The 90s to sometime in the 2000s were when their childhoods were in effect. You can expect to see people born in ‘87 make note of everything that happened from the fall of 1990 to the fall of 2000 or so when they come into power in the future.

Check for new replies or respond here...