inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Tim Burton’s Batman

Written By: Retrolover on 07/18/19 at 12:43 pm

Do you like Tim Burton’s Batman? Did you see it at  one or many of your local cinemas in 1989? How many times did you see it? Did you buy it on VHS, Betamax, or Laserdisc when it was newly released? In general, what are your thoughts on Tim Burton’s Batman? Should Michael Keaton have played Bruce Wayne and Batman? Was there a better actor at the time who could have played a better Joker?

https://theslingsandarrows.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/bat-1.jpg

This is thread to discuss all things 1989 Batman. Were the 1990 Kenner action figures an improvement over the 1989 Toy Biz figures? Where were you when Batmania hit in the spring of 1989? Were you alive for it? Would you have preferred the first Batman be more like one of the sequels? What was the best video game adaption of the movie? Was there a better comic book movie before or after Tim Burton’s Batman? Was the 1989 Batman flick needed? Was it THE movie of the decade? Were you Batman or Joker for Halloween? Please share anything from your life that has to do with the 1989 Batman here.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-LhDDDlUi52o/VoL-mn8sDlI/AAAAAAAAU7Y/Q7ptc6P_EAc/s1600/Batman1989Lot.JPG

Subject: Re: Tim Burton’s Batman

Written By: dbutler69 on 08/01/19 at 8:14 am

I loved the movie back in the day, and I still think it's very good.  I was very skeptical of Michael Keaton as Batman, but I have to say he did a great job. In fact, he might be my favorite on-screen Batman.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/01/19 at 8:44 am

I loved the movie back in the day, and I still think it's very good.  I was very skeptical of Michael Keaton as Batman, but I have to say he did a great job. In fact, he might be my favorite on-screen Batman.

https://ourenclave.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/bruce-wayne-nuts.png

“You wanna get nuts? Come on! Let’s get nuts!””

So many classic lines in that film. “Batman Returns” didn’t have that so much.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/01/19 at 1:05 pm

I didn't see this movie until years later. When Batman Returns came out, I thought it was going to be stupid but it was what I refer to as a "surprise movie" because I was surprised at how good it was and how much I really enjoyed it. After watching the first one, I still didn't like it as much I liked Batman Returns which is strange. Usually sequels suck.

Cat

Written By: Retrolover on 08/01/19 at 4:22 pm

I didn't see this movie until years later. When Batman Returns came out, I thought it was going to be stupid but it was what I refer to as a "surprise movie" because I was surprised at how good it was and how much I really enjoyed it. After watching the first one, I still didn't like it as much I liked Batman Returns which is strange. Usually sequels suck.

Cat

“Batman Returns” was great in its own way. I think some of the ‘89Batfans didn’t like “Batman Returns” because of the absence of Bob Kane helping Tim Burton direct the story.

There’s a notable difference between “Batman” and “Batman Returns”, even though they both use the blockbuster comic book film formula. “Batman” follows the Detective Comics comic book a lot closely than “Batman Returns” does. They’re both great films, though.

What was your favorite Bat merchandise from 1989?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/01/19 at 5:00 pm

“Batman Returns” was great in its own way. I think some of the ‘89Batfans didn’t like “Batman Returns” because of the absence of Bob Kane helping Tim Burton direct the story.

There’s a notable difference between “Batman” and “Batman Returns”, even though they both use the blockbuster comic book film formula. “Batman” follows the Detective Comics comic book a lot closely than “Batman Returns” does. They’re both great films, though.

What was your favorite Bat merchandise from 1989?

I am usually not into movie merchandise but there are exceptions. While not anything specific but in this case it would have to be something relating to Catwoman.  ;)

BTW, I was Catwoman LONG before Michelle Pfeiffer was.

Cat

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 08/01/19 at 8:43 pm

I was three years old and my earliest exposure to Batman was via Adam West reruns, but I certainly remember Batmania to some extent. I remember there being action figures, and I certainly remember this...

https://www.mrbreakfast.com/ucp/24_7183_ucp.jpg

The piggy bank had stickers of Keaton's face.

I remember the big Joker climax playing as a demo on new TVs. I finally got to see Returns when it premiered on HBO. I loved it, but I was confused about what happened to the Joker. My folks told me that Batman already killed him.

I remember Pat Sajak dressing up as 1989 Batman for a Halloween episode of Wheel of Fortune.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/02/19 at 7:44 am

I am usually not into movie merchandise but there are exceptions. While not anything specific but in this case it would have to be something relating to Catwoman.  ;)

BTW, I was Catwoman LONG before Michelle Pfeiffer was.

Cat

Do you remember when actress Sean Young went on The Joan Rivers Show after Tim Burton would not let her play Catwoman in “Batman Returns”?

I was three years old and my earliest exposure to Batman was via Adam West reruns, but I certainly remember Batmania to some extent. I remember there being action figures, and I certainly remember this...

https://www.mrbreakfast.com/ucp/24_7183_ucp.jpg

The piggy bank had stickers of Keaton's face.

I remember the big Joker climax playing as a demo on new TVs. I finally got to see Returns when it premiered on HBO. I loved it, but I was confused about what happened to the Joker. My folks told me that Batman already killed him.

I remember Pat Sajak dressing up as 1989 Batman for a Halloween episode of Wheel of Fortune.

Were you upset there wasn’t more ‘89 Batman merchandise in stores during the time of the movie release? In the summer of ‘89, there was mostly Batman books and stuff of that sort with 60s through 80s Batman comic book art on it. Should there have been more items like the ‘89 movie graphic novel in stores?

Written By: Howard on 08/02/19 at 7:47 am

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71MDec7Y0zL._SY445_.jpg

I used to have the poster from 1989.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/02/19 at 7:49 am

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71MDec7Y0zL._SY445_.jpg

I used to have the poster from 1989.

I didn’t know of anybody who had the poster hanging up in their rooms in the very late 80s and Early 90s. Everyone basically wore the Batlogo shirts.

Written By: Howard on 08/02/19 at 8:30 am

I didn’t know of anybody who had the poster hanging up in their rooms in the very late 80s and Early 90s. Everyone basically wore the Batlogo shirts.

I had a Batman poster hanging on my wall in 1989.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/02/19 at 8:40 am

I had a Batman poster hanging on my wall in 1989.

Most people then either had Garfield, Jessica Rabbit, the Ninja Turtles, Guns N Roses, Poison posters, cars, Bo Jackson, R.O.B. from Nintendo, The Joker, or The Lost Boys on their wall from 1989 to 1992 or ‘93.

When you look closely enough on Doug Funnie’s wall in “Doug’s Cool Shoes”, you’ll see a Batman poster.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/02/19 at 12:56 pm

Do you remember when actress Sean Young went on The Joan Rivers Show after Tim Burton would not let her play Catwoman in “Batman Returns”?

Nope. Never watched Joan Rivers.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 08/02/19 at 2:15 pm

Most people then either had Garfield, Jessica Rabbit, the Ninja Turtles, Guns N Roses, Poison posters, cars, Bo Jackson, R.O.B. from Nintendo, The Joker, or The Lost Boys on their wall from 1989 to 1992 or ‘93.

When you look closely enough on Doug Funnie’s wall in “Doug’s Cool Shoes”, you’ll see a Batman poster.

I was mostly into The Simpsons, ALF, WWF Wrestling, those sorts of things.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/06/19 at 1:35 pm

Nope. Never watched Joan Rivers.

Cat
Same here, she never made me laugh.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/06/19 at 2:13 pm

Btw, which Batman film had my favourite line?

"...I was their number one son... but they treated me like number two!"

Written By: Retrolover on 08/06/19 at 6:40 pm

Btw, which Batman film had my favourite line?

"...I was their number one son... but they treated me like number two!"

“Batman Returns”.

Batmaniacs everywhere didn’t like the depiction of The Penguin and Catwoman in that film. On the positive side, batfans did get the sculpt of Catwoman that was meant for the 1984 “Super Powers” toy line.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/06/19 at 11:00 pm

“Batman Returns”.

Batmaniacs everywhere didn’t like the depiction of The Penguin and Catwoman in that film. On the positive side, batfans did get the sculpt of Catwoman that was meant for the 1984 “Super Powers” toy line.
Thanks!

I have never really got into the Batman movies, when it comes to being a series, I get confused on which film is which.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/06/19 at 11:19 pm

Thanks!

I have never really got into the Batman movies, when it comes to being a series, I get confused on which film is which.

Penguin (a repaint of the 1984 figurine) and Catwoman were the hardest characters to find that summer and “Batman Returns” toys were everywhere. 

As a child, I had to settle for the Penguin and Catwoman Happy Meal toys. From ‘92 to ‘95, Batman was at McDonalds. It’s funny because this period of the film series is bookended by the best film (‘89) and the laughably bad one (‘97) and there cups at Taco Bell for both the first and last films. Millennials, at least, got cooler BTAS tie-in kids meal toys for “Batman and Robin”. All Xennials got were “ ‘89 Batman” cups.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/06/19 at 11:21 pm

Penguin (a repaint of the 1984 figurine) and Catwoman were the hardest characters to find that summer and “Batman Returns” toys were everywhere. 

As a child, I had to settle for the Penguin and Catwoman Happy Meal toys. From ‘92 to ‘95, Batman was at McDonalds. It’s funny because this period of the film series is bookended by the best film (‘89) and the laughably bad one (‘97) and there cups at Taco Bell for both the first and last films. Millennials, at least, got cooler BTAS tie-in kids meal toys for “Batman and Robin”. All Xennials got were “ ‘89 Batman” cups.
...and worth a pretty pence now?

Written By: Retrolover on 08/06/19 at 11:35 pm

...and worth a pretty pence now?

Nope. Catwoman and Penguin toys were hard to find until “Batman The Animated Series” toys came out. The value dropped for “Batman Returns” toys because “Batman The Animated Series” was a bigger deal to comic book dealers and collectors. Some of the characters from first wave of “Batman The Animated Series” toys fetch for a lot on the black market nowadays. “Batman The Animated Series” didn’t grab Millennials the way the ‘89 movie had Xennials. “Barney and Friends” and “Ren and Stimpy” was a bigger deal to Millennials in the fall of 1992 than “Batman The Animated Series”. The “Mighty Morphin Power Rangers” overshadowed “Batman The Animated Series” completely in the following year.

Still, “Batman The Animated Series” is closely associated with “Batman Returns” since they both came out in 1992. “BTAS” is more important to people who love pop culture than “Batman Returns, though. The batcrowd was won back with the help of Bruce Timm.

Check for new replies or respond here...