inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Lighthearted Part of the Late 80s

Written By: Retrolover on 08/02/19 at 9:29 pm

Does anybody else miss 1988 to mid 1989 on here?

The hit TV shows of the time were “Growing Pains”, “Perfect Strangers”, and “21 Jump Street”.

https://www.blowoutcards.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/thumb_img_4758_1024-e1508198100736.jpg

The music being released was Taylor Dayne’s “I’ll Always Love You”, Bette Midler’s “Wind Beneath My Wings”, Boy Meet Girl’s “Waiting for a Star to Fall”, Will to Power’s cover of “Baby, I Love Your Way”, The Deele’s “Two Occasions”, Breathe’s “Hands to Heaven”, George Michael’s “One More Try”, Michael Bolton’s “Soul Provider”, Rod Stewart’s “Forever Young”, and Boy’s Club “I Remember Holding You”.

RhxF9Qg5mOU

The movies were “Beetlejuice”, “Who Framed Roger Rabbit”, “Willow”, “The Land Before Time”, “Rainman”, “Twins”, and “Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure”.

https://movierob.files.wordpress.com/2017/05/roger-rabbit.jpg

The hottest items for children were the NES Advantage joystick, “Double Dare” shirts, Robocop action figures, the “Girl Talk” board game, “Powell Peralta” skateboards, Topps 1988 Baseball cards, “Spuds MacKenzie” shirts, “Real Ghostbusters” toys, “Mad Magazine”, “Sylvanian Families”, and “Micro Machines”.

https://i1.wp.com/nintendotimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/NES-Atari-1.jpg?ssl=1

This was the last of the Reagan and big permed hair days. What are your thoughts on the year 1988 to the summer of 1989?

Subject: Re: The Lighthearted Part of the Late 80s

Written By: wagonman76 on 08/28/19 at 12:23 am

Only the favorite music, shows, years of my life.  I absolutely loved the light (or some say watered down) feel of the late 80s and early 90s.  The heavy synthesizers of the mid 80s were mostly replaced by more airy sounds, and grunge hadn't set in yet.  Even up through 1992 with stuff like Cover Girls "Wishing On A Star".  Funny you mention the Will To Power song.  That's one of my favorites and seems like nobody I talk to remembers it.  Another show few people seem to remember is "Our House" from 1986 to 1988.  That was one of my favorite shows back then.

Written By: robby76 on 08/28/19 at 10:44 am

Yes I suppose so. Though my main love nostalgia-wise is 84-87, it was all good. It was good to see sitcom families / characters maturing eg Cosby Show, Facts of Life. Music in the UK went really pop - artists like Kylie Minogue were all the rage.

Written By: robby76 on 08/28/19 at 11:50 am

What happened to RetroLover? I know he's been a long-time member of this board and comes back with different aliases, but his posts give these retro sections life. There was a period when this forum was quiet as hell and he brought new life into it. Yes some posts are borderline decadeology - but at this stage, does it matter so much? People want to talk about the 80s, that's all. It's nothing to get frustrated about.

Written By: Howard on 08/28/19 at 2:57 pm

Yes I suppose so. Though my main love nostalgia-wise is 84-87, it was all good. It was good to see sitcom families / characters maturing eg Cosby Show, Facts of Life. Music in the UK went really pop - artists like Kylie Minogue were all the rage.

And don't forget Silver Spoons and Punky Brewster.

Written By: rapplepop on 09/01/19 at 1:50 am

Yeah Stock, Aitken and Waterman really ruled the charts in the late 80s. Kinda like Max Martin and Dr. Luke did between say 1997-2017.

Written By: violet_shy on 09/28/19 at 6:38 pm

84 to 87 or 88 is my favorite 80s time period! I'm very nostalgic about it and sometimes like to watch music videos from that time. I wish I could re-live it! I miss the 1980s.

Written By: Dj. on 09/30/19 at 11:51 pm

probobly my favorite years of the 80s, i dont understand why the late 80s is so underrated on this board

Check for new replies or respond here...